New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Base Class Challenge XII Voting Thread

Welcome to the voting thread for Base Class Challenge XII, Race Race! Voting will consist of each voter giving a first, second, and third place vote for three separate base classes.

A first place vote is worth three points, a second place vote is worth two points, and a third place vote is worth one point. You may vote for your own class.

You are encouraged to include reason with your votes, though this is not absolutely required.

The class that ends up with the most points wins the challenge contest. Voting starts now and will continue until 23:59 on July 20th.

1st Place: Son of Man, by Morph Bark
    2nd Place: Trueforged, by kanachi
    3rd Place: The Elder, by Quellian-dyrae

{table=head]Base Class|Author|1st|2nd|3rd|Total Points
    The Elder|Quellian-dyrae|4|3|3|21
    The Savage|Techwarrior|0|1|1|3
    Trueforged (Feats)|kanachi|6|1|6|26
    Faerie Trickster*|dspeyer|0|0|0|0
    Death Seeker|Aeryr|0|3|1|7
    Dovahkiin|Pyromancer999|1|3|4|13
    Son of Man|Morph Bark|6|6|2|32[/table]

Unfortunately, the elan, dwarf, changeling, and gnome are not complete, so they are ineligible for voting.

*The faerie trickster, by dspeyer, has one ability missing. Since the class functions as intended (it seems), I included it in the completed section.

To dspeyer: I highly recommend capitalization next time when naming abilities and their types (Ex, Su, Sp, Ps).
    Last edited by Temotei; 2012-07-21 at 03:37 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Challenge XII Voting Thread

First - The Elder: Obviously, I'm biased.

Second - Son of Man: I'd say it was the Trickle Fusions that pushed this one over the top for me, that's a really cool system. Definitely a strong class (I'd worry some about Spell Pounce, to be honest). Also, Disney quotes.

Third - Trueforge: I really liked the fluff on this one, and the abilities looked solid, good versatility without being overpowered. I also thought the lifespark was a clever way of handling per-encounter abilities outside of an encounter.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2012-07-02 at 06:45 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

1: Trueforge
    2: Son of Man
    3: Elder
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

1:Son of Man
    2: Elder
    3: Dovahkiin

5. - Top - End - #5

Votes tallied.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

1. Trueforged
    2. Son of Man
    3. Dovahkiin

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

1.) Elder- i love the use of domains and pantheons, this class has been added to my list of classes to be used in my campaign

2.) Son of Man- like this because of the class itself, was close to being #1, also added to be used in campaign

3.) Trueforge- first war forged thing to impress me, would be added if i used warforged

I blame my incomplete class on the power outage in the DelMarVa area, i am very annoyed that it happened right in the middle of me working on my class, but it's my fault for trying to do it at the last possible second

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

1) Trueforge - I am obviously bias, but I am actually quite proud of the way the class turned out.

2) Elder - I really liked the possible applications of this class and actually fits an npc I am going to use in the near future really well. If your class hits my table it would be simply rude not to score you!

3) Dovahkiin - I liked the way Dragon shouts offer different build possibilities and open this up to be quite an interesting class. I would like to see this class evolved a bit more outside the challenge. As a big fan of Skyrim this one managed to shake off very tough competition for third spot.

As a side note I would like to give honourable mentions to the Death Seeker: I really do like the dwarf Troll slayers upon which this class draws its inspiration.

and the faerie trickster: which I would really like to see the latter class finished and evolved.

Also the Son of Man for its mechanical prowess, I am just not entirely sure of its actual application in terms of flavour. I’m not sure it’s the kind of thing I would use but I may well draw inspiration from its crunch in the future when thinking of my own builds.
    OMFGWTF!!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by zetsu1919 View Post
    I blame my incomplete class on the power outage in the DelMarVa area, i am very annoyed that it happened right in the middle of me working on my class, but it's my fault for trying to do it at the last possible second
    Sorry to hear that.

Votes tallied.
    Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10

It's been five days without a vote and we still have twelve days left. Keep the votes coming!
    Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11

BardGuy

1: Elder
    2: Son of Man
    3: Trueforge

12. - Top - End - #12

Votes tallied.
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13

Post Re: Base Class Challenge XII Voting Thread

1st. Trueforge.

2nd. Dovakhiin.

3rd. Death Seeker. Sort of a boring application, but a great concept.
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

1st: Trueforge; warforged aren't my favorites by a long shot but I found the class looked really well done and with interesting fluff to match.
    2nd: The Elder; I like racial pantheons and the idea of a pantheon priest base class.
    3rd: The Child of Man; interesting concept and interesting application.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

1st - Son of Man.
    2nd - Death Seeker.
    3rd - Trueforge.

16. - Top - End - #16

Votes tallied.
    Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

1st Son of Man

2nd Trueforged

3rd The Elder
    ~ Thanks to Crimmy for Richardtar ~

18. - Top - End - #18

Votes tallied.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

1st Trueforged - I love this classes concept and base mechanics, while I think it needs a bit of work I see great promise in this class.

2nd Death Seeker - As with the other classes I felt a attraction to this classes concept, and I think it has a solid set of mechanics behind it. Truth be told, I might just play one these, should I ever get the chance.

3rd Dovahkiin - I liked the way dragon shouts were worked into this class, along with its warrior base, I find this class quite appealing.
    Last edited by DrewVolker; 2012-07-13 at 11:24 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Votes tallied.
    Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

1st: Elder. It's astounding that a class could take so much from the character's race without being specific to a single one. It fits the theme nicely, while still being broad enough to be a base class. I probably would've given them less domains and just let them change them each morning, but marvelous other than that.

2nd: Son Of Man. 3rd: Savage. Neither of these felt very race-based, but they made a bit of effort without being so narrow as to be race-specific.

I don't mean to insult anyone who participated -- I just don't see "race" as a good theme for a base class. I'm still surprised the Elder turned out so well!

22. - Top - End - #22

Forgot to say votes tallied.
    Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #23

Less than twenty-three hours left in the voting period!
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

1 Dovakin While it is quite readily apparent that we of the DnD world do not, in fact, need another Dragon based class for our repertoire, I liked the feel of this class. I would suggest that the Shouts and Feats gained overlapped less, as currently they come together in clusters and then space to where they get no benefit from leveling.

2 Savage I really liked making this, and have actually given it some lower level playtesting. It does what I wanted it to. An effective 2WF Barbarian style class that doesn't use Rage (a feature I'm personally opposed to as-is in 3.5) or Two Weapon Fighting (a style that is currently sadly broken, being too feat intense to make worthwhile).

3 Son of Man I personally really enjoyed the quotes (and placed them all ). Further, I like the way this class feels at the moment. I definitely suggest bringing the spellcasting back from 9th level casting Morph Bark. This guy has quite a few shiny toys already, and probably doesn't need it.

25. - Top - End - #25

Votes tallied.
    Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #26

RedWizardGuy

1st: Son of Man- Not only is it an interesting class concept, but I like the way it's implemented and the mechanics are nicely done. Plus it was done in a really short amount of time, which is impressive to note.

2nd: Dovahkiin- I put in a lot of work into it, and while still not complete, I like how it's turned out so far. Still, it's not complete, so that's why I give it second place.

3rd: Trueforge- Never ever wanted to play a Warforged. Until I saw this class. While the mechanics sometimes confuse me a little, they're interesting, and adds a new dimension to the Warforged.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    Accidental Double-Post
    If you Edit the post and then scroll to the top, there's an option to delete the post. It might have a time limit.

Votes tallied.
    Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Place the First: Son of Man, because I want to pat my brain on the back for managing to pump that out so fast and so beautifully. I just can't deny that I'm a little proud of that.

Place the Second: Dovahkiin, because DOVAHKIIN DOVAHKIIN NAAL OK ZIN LOS VAHRIIN. Also because Pyromancer did a pretty good job on converting the Shouts over and I'll harass him if he never touches upon the class again.

Place the Third: Trueforge, because credit where credit is due. I actually took a look at the posting history of the other entrants and saw this is apparently only the second class kanachi has posted on here, plus his first contest entry, on which he did very well.

The Elder was very well-made, but didn't entirely feel right to me from the beginning, which I can't entirely explain. I have to say it was a pretty close call with the Trueforge in the end though. I also briefly considered the Death Seeker, but it ended up being a little too much depending on abilities that were straight-up taken from official classes, making it lack in the mechanical originality of the other entries. The Dovahkiin ended up ahead of some competitors, which surprised me, as it wasn't done yet by the time I finished the Son of Man. This was like a competition filled with balls out of the left field.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-07-20 at 05:42 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

29. - Top - End - #29

...wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal!
    Ahrk fin norok paal graan
    fod nust hon zindro zaan
    Dovahkiin, fah hin kogaan mu draal!

Votes tallied.
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

FIRST: Son Of Man, by Morph Bark

SECOND: Death Seeker, Aeryr

THIRD: The Elder, by Quellian-dyrae
    I am an Oxymoron. Calm, cheery, deadly, furious.