New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NyttyN View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Character post.

Name: Nick Orion

Attended school: Azabu Academy

Power: Chrono Trigger (Currently Level 1)
    Nick has a rather unique power: the ability to adjust his flow through the passage of time. If he slows down his time flow, his mind can take in all the details of a individual scene as they pass by, analyzing any possible situation with a intense level of detail.

However, he cannot move any faster then he would be able to at that rate of time flow at this low level of mastery. At higher levels of mastery, he eventually gains more control over his flow through time, granting him (1/1.25/1.50/1.75/2.0x) faster movement then he normally would be able to have.

If he speeds up time, time simply flows faster for him, something of a fast forward button, only he fully analyzes and obtains all relevant feelings, memories, etc. as they happen. Ergo, overnight study becomes a snap!

So, in essence, at the lowest level, it allows him to take in all of the details of a scene, granting him the advantage of knowledge. At higher levels, it also makes him fast enough to be able to better abuse this knowledge, yet still too slow to react to things such as a shotgun blast to the face.

Please note that he still needs to physically turn his head in order to see something. Ergo, this power is somewhat useless against sneak attacks from behind or angles he can't see.

Note: If anyone wants a indepth explanation about the Science! behind this esper, feel free to PM me and I'll explain how it works in detail.

Description/Background: Nick is a rather unassuming fellow. Decked out in a nerdy t-shirt and some khaki pants, with a tall-slightly heavy-set build of 6'3, he tends to stick to the background. In fact, he would've loved to stay in the background.

However, as of late, his attempts to not be suck a backgrounder have led to him getting thrust far more into the spotlight then he desired. Although he is only just coming of age for his powers, he has gained much attention due to the somewhat...unique advantages they coffer -such as easy aces on a test, and stress-free studying.- In fact, this leg up over his peers has caused his parents to bite the bullet and pay for him to attend Azabu Academy, in spite of his low level.

Although he is unaware, his parents have had to take out something of a eye-catching loan to send him to Azabu, and whilst he is in no threat of creditors taking his organs as payment, it might cause his name to show up on the radar of well-informed individuals.

Misc notes:
    Has had almost no combat training. The closest he has had is some time spent at the gun range with his uncle, before said uncle passed away.
    Has had little esper training.
    Something of a slacker.
    No objections here. The effect of Chrono Trigger at this level looks fine, at least as far as balance goes. Some of the specifics are a little confusing, but that's not really a problem.

So, just so we're clear, do I wait for a moderator to accept me, or can I just jump right in? Also, if i've missed something, please let me know.
    This game doesn't have any moderators; Decisions are reached by a mixture of public debate and private blackmail. A character is 'approved' by having nobody speaking up against it, rather than by receiving the blessing of any one player. As a general rule, you should be fine to join if nobody has complained by the end of the day.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Well, the school year is starting, meaning everyone may start clawing there way back to here.

As for your character, perhaps its reaction timing than time itself would be a better explaination for it. Other than that, I think he'll do fine.
    I've been around for most of the summer, actually. Watching from the shadows. [/spoooooky voice! Very spooky!]

Nick looks fine to me, although his powers slightly overlap with Katsu's speedster abilities. But it's only a minor overlap, so go and bring some life back into this before I make Katsu talk to you!
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    I've been around for most of the summer, actually. Watching from the shadows. [/spoooooky voice! Very spooky!]

Nick looks fine to me, although his powers slightly overlap with Katsu's speedster abilities. But it's only a minor overlap, so go and bring some life back into this before I make Katsu talk to you!

Run! Run now!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

I might join as soon as my current deadtime is over (I can make sporadic posts like this, but I can't consistently post until tomorrow). I always did like pyschics, and it looks like an interesting setting.

Also, since I've noticed somewhere around six or seven people with names that will trip me up in just the first four posts in the IC thread, please correct me if I mess one your characters names up. I didn't even realize I was misspelling (rather badly) the name of the goddess one of my Nexus characters is a cleric of until someone said something about it, so, clearly, names aren't my strong point.

Here's the character I was thinking of:

Name: Johnathan Hunter

Attending school: Azabu Academy

Power: Psychometry, (Level Two). (In other words, he can read the thoughts and emotions that anyone who's handled an object felt when they were handling it). Naturally, how well it works depends on how long they handled it, and how strongly they felt when they did so. Objects the person has an intense personal connection to work better, as well. It does not affect living things, or dead bodies. Nail clippings, hair, teeth, etc., are also unaffected. Significantly altering the item, for example, burning papers, will also render them useless; although he would be able to get what they felt when they burnt them from the ashes, anything from before that time would be gone.

Of course, there's a simple way around this: Don't leave your stuff laying around. That doesn't mean that you have to burn the paper cup you got when you bought your coffee, of course. Unless you felt extraordinarily strongly about something while you were drinking it, he'll get, at most, faint bits of stuff from it. Also, he'd have no real way to know, unless he saw you drinking from it, that it was yours.

Depending on how things work here, especially if people tend to have only one power, he may also have rather minor empathic abilities that apply to humans.

Description/Background: Johnathan is not terribly notable. He's around 6 feet tall, thin, and generally wears black jeans and a black or red t-shirt.

He recently arrived from the U.S., to try and have his potential, if any, manifested in the Program. He's so far gotten some minimal training in them, but he just started here.

Misc notes: He's had a reasonable amount of self-defense training. He's also a pretty good shot.

His training in using his abilities has been minimal, just enough to make them manifest. This is the main reason he's here.

He's loyal to his friends, and makes them easily. He's also fairly clever, and quite smart.
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2011-08-25 at 11:41 AM.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Looks good to me, C'nor, although it is a little pseudo-scientific. But that's coming from the guy who plays a character who runs at the speed of sound, so take that with a grain of sand.

Most characters are in school still and have gained their powers through the curriculum designed to do so since naturally occurring powers are very rare. So if your character have developed powers outside Academy City, it would most likely mean that governments would be trying to gain control of them or similar. But it's possible.

Oh, and Welcome to RailgunItp! Please leave your grasp of reality by the desk and follow us to the world of Academy City!
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, he's not a natural, exactly. He studied a bit elsewhere, and then came here. I'm guessing that there would be private groups that might be interested in having psychics/espers/whatever you want to call them. Unless that breaks the setting, in which case he came here to be tested, and has gotten his minimal training here.

As far as the other thing, I just wanted to make sure that what he could do was clearly defined, and subject to reasonable limits.

What power level would you say he is at the moment?

And thanks for the welcome! But didn't I have to stick that and my sanity in a bin when I joined Nexus?
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2011-08-24 at 02:44 PM.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Well, he's not a natural, exactly. He studied a bit elsewhere, and then came here. I'm guessing that there would be private groups that might be interested in having psychics/espers/whatever you want to call them. Unless that breaks the setting, in which case he came here to be tested, and has gotten his minimal training here.
    That does indeed go against the setting's grain. You see, Academy City isn't a place where people are sent because they want to train their powers; It's the place that gives them their powers in the first place. The vast majority of Espers (as in 99.999%) are created artificially by going through the city's Power Curriculum Program. No matter how high their potential, they'll never manifest a power until they've gone through the Program. There are extremely rare exceptions to this rule, but from the sound of it they don't fit with the rest of your intended direction. It'd probably be easier to just say that he was sent here in the hope of gaining a power.

As far as the other thing, I just wanted to make sure that what he could do was clearly defined, and subject to reasonable limits.

What power level would you say he is at the moment?
    His power seems completely fine, as well as being distinct from any other power we have so far. At a guess, he sounds like a Level 2 on the official scale.

Oh, and the word you were looking for is 'psychometry'.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2011-08-24 at 04:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay. His backstory will be edited to match, and his power level added. And thanks, both for the information on the setting and power level, and the assistance with the word.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

Not at all. And thanks for pointing out the problems.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    [Azabu Academy, Main Entrance]

A new student has just entered the room ((if it is a room? I'm uncertain of the architectural details. Please correct me if I mess them up.)). He's about six feet tall, thin, and is currently wearing black jeans an a black t-shirt with long sleeves. He also has gloves on. He's around twenty-two.

He looks around curiously.
    Welcome to the game. That said, here's a few things to note: It's actually sunday IG, so the school would be closed at the moment. People will still be using the dorms, though. Secondly, an age of 22 isn't plausible for either an Azabu student or a newly-minted Esper; Would you mind reducing it to somewhere around 15?

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

Not at all. And thanks for pointing out the problems.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Now, its time to get everyone else back here and we can call this a party.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm ready to resume posting at any time. I'm just waiting for the giant we're fighting to take action

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

And I was the last who posted in the group planning to figure out what's going on by sneaking into places.

Accursed Katsu, why is he actually being focussed on something?!
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post
    I'm ready to resume posting at any time. I'm just waiting for the giant we're fighting to take action
    Given the extreme length of time between Bago's posts, it might be best to just end that scene now. In the beginning it created some good activity, but now it's doing the opposite. If people are anxious to post, we can easily skip the rest of the fight and pick up the story a little while afterwards.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

And I was the last who posted in the group planning to figure out what's going on by sneaking into places.

Accursed Katsu, why is he actually being focussed on something?!
    Well, we could just skip ahead to them actually doing the sneaky stuff. We just need the other 2 of the party.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, we could just skip ahead to them actually doing the sneaky stuff. We just need the other 2 of the party.
    sounds allright to me, although I haven't given thir thread much attention due to lack of activity lately.

someone might want to send out some pm's

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhydeble View Post
    sounds allright to me, although I haven't given thir thread much attention due to lack of activity lately.

someone might want to send out some pm's
    1 down and 1 Lilth to go.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I be back. I was stuck on planes (No, not paper ones, and NO, I don't want to take your money). I'll post a new post shortly.

Glad to see I breathed some degree of life back here.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NyttyN View Post
    Nick blinks, slightly intimidated. This man was practically a giant!
    Uh, if Nick's profile is accurate then he's the giant here. Jirou is certainly very tall for his age, but he's not 6'3.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

That we can, now all we need is a Lilith, a rubber duck and three ounces of butter to get in.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

That we can, now all we need is a Lilith, a rubber duck and three ounces of butter to get in.
    ...Why those other two things? I'm almost scared to ask...

Edit: Oh, and can I play the guards and what-not? Jason won't really have that much to do and it could be fun. I just need tobe pmed some information about what things I should include as obsticles and things for them to collect, like data.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2011-08-29 at 01:48 AM.

23. - Top - End - #563

That we can, now all we need is a Lillith, a rubber duck and three ounces of butter to get in.
    The rubber duck is a distraction obviously.

Anyways didn't think this thread was still alive. I have to go to school now though so I'll probably be a bit late on updating my part.
    Last edited by Lillith; 2011-08-29 at 01:51 AM.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ettin in the Playground

...And we appear to be dead again. Why exactly does this keep happening? This RP has died and resurrected so often that it's become a regular cycle: Every so often we get an influx of new players, all apparently eager to start RPing. Then, roused by the new activity, a lot of the older players all post to say that they're eager, ready and waiting to get things started again. There's a brief flurry of posting and then...nothing. No matter how many players speak up in the OOC, the IC always dies within a week.

For the sake of our collective peace of mind, let's try and get to the bottom of this. Let's all put our heads together and try to answer this one basic question:

"If so many people want RailgunITP to continue, then why is nobody posting?"

25. - Top - End - #565

Should I take over the "episode" I'm in to get things rolling again? I'm a little worried about messing up someone's plans.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ettin in the Playground

And I think that's the problem. One person stops posting. One person loses interest for a while.

Either way if you want Crafty a "light" soda can to the giants head could end the situation and let us continue.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

27. - Top - End - #567

Allright then. We'll say the giant is nearly at its limit, and after the next few attacks, it will lose conciousness and anti-skill will transport it to the correctional facility in the tenth district.

Sound reasonable?

Spoiler
    Show

Or something.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ettin in the Playground

Eminently.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Ack, sorry. I will try to get the snooping kids plot going whether people want to or have to do it or not.

...Why those other two things? I'm almost scared to ask...

Edit: Oh, and can I play the guards and what-not? Jason won't really have that much to do and it could be fun. I just need tobe pmed some information about what things I should include as obsticles and things for them to collect, like data.
    You will see soon enough.

I'd say you can play the guards and suchwhat, but I can't personally tell you any of those things without a paper from the 31st of February.

Who was it that suggested the plan? They may know, or possibly someone else with more knowledge of the setting could help.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

so why is this based off of railgun as opposed to index?