Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    As who exactly?
    Mister. duh :P

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dresden Files II: Dealing Drugs To Tiny Faeries

As who exactly?
    No clue. I'd be amused if we had a sudden reveal that Loki's been screwing with stuff behind-the-scenes though.

Wait, wait, wait for it...

Loki is Cowl.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Lol, I'm not sure Loki's crazed enough to be Cowl.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    No clue. I'd be amused if we had a sudden reveal that Loki's been screwing with stuff behind-the-scenes though.

Wait, wait, wait for it...

Loki is Cowl.
    Sure. Why not?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Heh. I won't continue to speak on it, but it's now my official ridiculous crack theory.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, how old is Mister? He was a big cat at the start of the first story, so a couple of years, and he has lived for 13 years after that. He needs to be getting old. But he seems just as active as ever. Plus I don't think Butcher is cruel enough to kill Mister so he's got another 10ish books/years in him. Which raises the question, what is he? Also WoJ IIRC says he would be able to take everything we've seen on screen so far. Which gives me my theory Mister=The White God.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Mister is a just a cat. Clearly he could take everything we've met including Ferrovax, Mab, and Uriel with one paw... thus secure in his inestimable superiority he simply has Harry to do those things as is the just and righteous order of the universe.

Clearly you must not be a cat owner. All us happy slaves know this.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

I'm interested in seeing something to do with dragons, as well. I'd imagine that one of the next books will feature them more prominently.

Just done with Blood Rites, now. I think I flew through 3 books this weekend. Helps if you know what's going to happen, heh.

Took note of something mildly interesting. All the books so far has the other characters mostly call Harry "Dresden". Blood Rites is one where basically all the characters call him "Harry". It's...weird. Also appropriate, since it's where he finds out about Thomas, gets closer to Murphy, stuff like that. Maybe intentional?
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Mister is a just a cat. Clearly he could take everything we've met including Ferrovax, Mab, and Uriel with one paw... thus secure in his inestimable superiority he simply has Harry to do those things as is the just and righteous order of the universe.

Clearly you must not be a cat owner. All us happy slaves know this.
    So Mister is the White God? Or possibly the Tabby God?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

A new New York IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking about Mister... I really want to see Cat Sith again.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

11. - Top - End - #161
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    So Mister is the White God? Or possibly the Tabby God?
    He is Ceiling Cat, obviously.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing Thor and Loki. I'd like to see how dragons actually operate. Oh, and the Easter Bunny. I have no idea how JB would have Michael interact with the Easter Bunny, but I'm sure it would be hilarious.
    My current head-canon is that Loki is the British sounding entity imprisoned on Demonreach.
    I don't know everything merely everything of importance-Fidelias
    Avatar by the illustrious Lord Raziere

13. - Top - End - #163
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I was so depressed when he got infected. Such a cool character and it looks like Jim threw him away in the book he was introduced in!

14. - Top - End - #164
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Probably the single most tragic loss of the recent books.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I actually disliked Cat because I feel like he backed JB into a corner with Nemesis.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

16. - Top - End - #166

I actually disliked Cat because I feel like he backed JB into a corner with Nemesis.
    Hm? Could you elaborate?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789blaaa View Post
    Hm? Could you elaborate?
    Cat was a creature that Harry really didn't stand a chance against. He was too good. The melee equivalent to a sniper bullet that takes out a wizard before they know what hit them. I'll come back to this.

Prior to the introduction of Cat, what had we seen from Nemesis? It wasn't about making people less effective, it was about making people act differently. In fact, when we get our first real explanation about Nemesis, what really made it so dangerous was that it was nigh undetectable. Not even the Gatekeeper could guarantee creatures were Nemesis free.

Up to this point Harry has survived because when it came to powerful enemies he wasn't their primary target (red court), they didn't necessarily want him dead from the get-go (skinwalker), he had significant allies helping him, or he had prior warning and was able to prepare.

So what does Nemesis-Cat present? A real problem. He doesn't fall into any of the previous categories, so what choices does that leave? Either making Harry somehow able to take on Cat without getting blended into fine human puree, or make Nemesis significantly weaken its host; and that's exactly what happened. Harry was able to tell that Cat was infected, and even said that Cat wasn't acting anything like himself.

So where does that leave us? Simple, the introduction of Cat as a character that is essentially wizard kryptonite meant that Nemesis had to be weakened for it to make any kind of sense that Harry would prevail. It's sort of like when an author introduces a villain that is too effective and has to have them carry an idiot ball for the protagonist to defeat them.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Banned

It's not that Nemesis weakened Cat Sith. It's that Nemesis has plans for Harry. Also it probably is an entity that while it can infect multiple hosts it can also assume direct control. If it was in direct control then of course Cat Sith won't act like Cat Sith it'll act like Nemesis & it will fight like Nemesis. If Nemesis's plans were for Harry to be dead & it allowed Cat Sith to do this on his own then Harry would be fancy feast.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Cat was a creature that Harry really didn't stand a chance against. He was too good. The melee equivalent to a sniper bullet that takes out a wizard before they know what hit them. I'll come back to this.
    Well Harry's survived being sniped twice now...

20. - Top - End - #170

I thought it was clear that there are degrees of Nemesis infection. You have the "nigh indetectable" version that subtly influences the host but can't force them to do anything. At the same time, you also have the "take direct control" version that allows you to basically make them your puppet but has the downside of being much more easily detectable. Nemesis wasn't weakened, we just found out it had another tool in its toolbox. Cat Sith was just too focused on obeying Mab and helping Harry so the "subtly influence" verison wouldn't have worked. Nemesis was forced to use the other.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789blaaa View Post
    I thought it was clear that there are degrees of Nemesis infection. You have the "nigh indetectable" version that subtly influences the host but can't force them to do anything. At the same time, you also have the "take direct control" version that allows you to basically make them your puppet but has the downside of being much more easily detectable. Nemesis wasn't weakened, we just found out it had another tool in its toolbox. Cat Sith was just too focused on obeying Mab and helping Harry so the "subtly influence" verison wouldn't have worked. Nemesis was forced to use the other.
    This, in fact, is very VERY close to the Indoctrination in Mass Effect...
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Nemesis was at first presented as what it could do. Infect people, be hard to detect, and influence them. Free them from certain constraints. Now its really easy to ascribe unlimited powers to it since its an unknown. Which of course should raise the question: Why hasn't Nemesis just borged everyone and won?

Simple, it doesn't have unlimited abilities to do all those things. When it quickly infects someone and takes full control like it did Cait Sith it doesn't get the full power of Cait Sith. It probably has other limits too. Its not God. It never was. It was simply unknown.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Nemesis was at first presented as what it could do. Infect people, be hard to detect, and influence them. Free them from certain constraints. Now its really easy to ascribe unlimited powers to it since its an unknown. Which of course should raise the question: Why hasn't Nemesis just borged everyone and won?

Simple, it doesn't have unlimited abilities to do all those things. When it quickly infects someone and takes full control like it did Cait Sith it doesn't get the full power of Cait Sith. It probably has other limits too. Its not God. It never was. It was simply unknown.
    AFAIK, the White God (God) has limits too...

Maybe Cat Sith's spirit has been preserved into Mister? Would maybe explain why Cat Sith had taken a liking to Harry

24. - Top - End - #174

What I have done?!

In my current XCom : Enemy Unknown game, one of my medic is named "Molly", and is naturally blonde. For some reason, I had the bonehead move of giving her the nickname of "Grasshopper"

Stupid stupid me... I might have painted a bullseye on her head. Next you'll tell me she is Psychic...

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    What I have done?!

In my current XCom : Enemy Unknown game, one of my medic is named "Molly", and is naturally blonde. For some reason, I had the bonehead move of giving her the nickname of "Grasshopper"

Stupid stupid me... I might have painted a bullseye on her head. Next you'll tell me she is Psychic...
    If I can get through the game with a pink-haired sniper nicknamed "Tonks," you can get through with a Grasshopper named Molly.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

AFAIK, the White God (God) has limits too...
    Umm why would you think that exactly?

Harry's silliness about belief magic in book 3 that so help me hasn't been mentioned since? The Swords working on no really everything even Outsiders? The hints that Mr. Sunshine has universal responsibilities and powers? Comments by Lash about being old as time and such?

27. - Top - End - #177

Umm why would you think that exactly?

Harry's silliness about belief magic in book 3 that so help me hasn't been mentioned since? The Swords working on no really everything even Outsiders? The hints that Mr. Sunshine has universal responsibilities and powers? Comments by Lash about being old as time and such?
    He is said to follow rules and limitations, is he not?

In my book, a limit is somewhat limiting.

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Art is communication if it's worth anything at all.
    Eh, no. Art is communication. Art is evocation. Art is invocation (although this isn't always worth sharing). Art is exorcism, creation, therapy, encryption. All of which have their own value, that is necessarily dependent on communicating anything to any given audience.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Barbarian in the Playground

He is said to follow rules and limitations, is he not?

In my book, a limit is somewhat limiting.
    If they're self-imposed limits, like you COULD eat that cookie, but you choose not to because you're on a diet, does that still count as a limitation since if you changed your mind you could eat the cookie anyway?
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    If they're self-imposed limits, like you COULD eat that cookie, but you choose not to because you're on a diet, does that still count as a limitation since if you changed your mind you could eat the cookie anyway?
    If the WG truly has no limits, than doesn't that mean that he could somehow eat the cookie without breaking his diet? If he's still restrained by logic, than he still has limits no?