New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default Eat your megetables!

So if you can make soy-based or similar substitutes for meat -- how about meat-based substitutes for vegetables?

That's what Arby's wants to know.

Seen on CNN and discussed elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Company
    Arby’s chief marketing officer, Jim Taylor. ...

“People love meat already. What Americans have a harder time doing is enjoying vegetables,” he says. “So we said, ‘If they can make meat out of vegetables, why can’t we make vegetables out of meat?’ We’re going to introduce to the world a category we call ‘megetables’—we’ve applied for trademark. Our first vegetable is going to be the marrot.”

It’s a carrot made of meat.

The move is a gleeful troll by the carnivorous fast food chain that recently announced it’s never going to sell fake meats like the Impossible Burger. Specifically, the marrot is a seasoned, marinated turkey breast, cut and rolled into the shape of a carrot. It’s cooked sous vide. Then it’s rolled in dehydrated carrot juice and oven-roasted. The marrot is finished with a brûlée of maple sugar and a sprig of parsley on top. Taylor points out that it’s high in protein and vitamin C—what Arby’s dubs a “meat snack.”

For now, the marrot is nothing more than a concept out of the Arby’s test kitchen. Depending on public response, the company may or may not bring it to market as a limited-time promotion. If it does, the promotion will be similar to how the Arby’s featured venison on the menu in 2016 (which sold out in just two hours given eager demand and extremely limited quantities).
    ... well, who needs to save the planet when you can jump up on and down on its back?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Eat your megetables!

Wow, what a troll move... I mean, I'm sure you'll find your customers, but mostly they'll get a load of (negative) publicity.
    Or maybe I'm wrong and people will just ignore it for being a dumb joke?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

I took it as an amusing joke mocking the trend of meat substitutes. Its freaking ARBYS, they arent getting rid of meat any time soon. Meat is pretty much their thing. They wont lose any customers over this and it is getting them attention. I consider it a smart move on their part that will probably give them a bump in sales because everywhere seems to be talking about this.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I thought this was going to be about mega-vegetables, like synthetically grown gigantic carrots or something. I'm amused by the reality.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I like this idea
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Wow, what a troll move... I mean, I'm sure you'll find your customers, but mostly they'll get a load of (negative) publicity.
    Troll is (for a change) exactly the right word.

I've never heard of this chain, so I'm not well placed to guess how much response they'll get, but I know rampant culture warfare when I see it. It's just "them vs us" demarcation, aimed at people who think the climate crisis is a conspiracy. From what I hear, there are enough people like that in America to make a viable market niche.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

7. - Top - End - #7
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Arby's is about as famous for meats as Outback Steakhouse is famous for terrible Australian accents. I wouldn't assume sinister political motives versus just being exactly what it looks like - a cheesy, ridiculous promotion keeping in line with their (popular and profitable but not very high quality) brand.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I thought this was going to be about mega-vegetables, like synthetically grown gigantic carrots or something. I'm amused by the reality.
    Meanwhile I thought it was about eating megabytes at first.
    Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Troll is (for a change) exactly the right word.

I've never heard of this chain, so I'm not well placed to guess how much response they'll get, but I know rampant culture warfare when I see it. It's just "them vs us" demarcation, aimed at people who think the climate crisis is a conspiracy. From what I hear, there are enough people like that in America to make a viable market niche.
    Arby's is a major fast food chain over here. Right up there with Taco Bell and KFC in the non-burger area. Huge. Their current slogsn is "we have the meats," been that way for years now. It's nothing but a cheeky marketing gimmick aimed at the burger places that are starting to offer meatless burgers.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Arby's is awful though, this is probably just to shore up their corner of the "bland food" market.
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Arby's is awful though, this is probably just to shore up their corner of the "bland food" market.
    I wouldn't say it's awful per se, but it definitely is overpriced and mediocre. Still, I stop by every other quarter or so to pick up a Ruben or brisket.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

They got good curly fries at least. My mom loves the french dip sandwich and im a beef and cheddar all the way kinda guy. Its not something I eat a lot of, but every now and then I enjoy it.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Bizarre, but I suppose that's marketing.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I find it goofy and fun.
    On one hand, I like crunchy carrots over soft carroty things, but on the other it's such a weird dish I kinda wanna try it! That or make one myself somehow.

edit: ooh, there's a sort of caramelized sugar topping? That could be really good with the flavors of the turkey and the carrot juice stuff.
    Last edited by Togath; 2019-07-02 at 02:28 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Have you ever heard the expression "There's no such thing as bad publicity?"

I wouldn't assume sinister political motives versus just being exactly what it looks like - a cheesy, ridiculous promotion keeping in line with their (popular and profitable but not very high quality) brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It's nothing but a cheeky marketing gimmick aimed at the burger places that are starting to offer meatless burgers.
    The increasing use of meat substitutes is driven by, reflects, and propagates shifting cultural values. Public actions take place within a broader social context. Marketers understand this. I can agree that "sinister" seems like an inapt descriptor because that suggests that this is somehow duplicitous rather than flagrant. Obvious troll is obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

DruidGirl

Soy "meat" is needed because people who like the taste and texture of meat are ethically opposed to eating real meat, and partly also because vegetarians need to get proteins somehow, and fake meat is easier to put in a burger than lentils. It's convenient.

The market for meat disguised as something else pretty much died when it became socially acceptable to eat meat during fasting periods.

Stupid marketing attempt, and I predict it will die down soon.

There's a market for funny looking meat, but that's already full of teddy-bear and smiley shaped meat products. Don't think people will be much interested in fake carrots. Especially since just dumping it in carrot juice will not give it the nutritious value of real vegetables.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Thought this was about "artificial" vegetables. Darn. The fact is we need technologies like artificial(vat grown) meat, soy/plant based meat and even something to replace other staples in the human diet like vegetables, fruits and even grains. Whatever the views on climate change, there is only so much room on the planet to grow things and the human population keeps on growing. And with humanity slowly moving into space, I don't think there is a lot of arable land in orbit, on the Moon or Mars.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Of the fast food places, which I eat very rarely lately, Arby's is one of my favorites. I don't see how it is bland either, unless of course you don't put any sauces on the sandwich, but that is your own fault not theirs, they've got some good sauces.

Although I would say, of the fast food places, it is probably one where quality can vary the most because of the nature of their sandwiches.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

I really don't get the hate, like, it's a Willy-Wonka-if-he-was-a-German-sausage-chef kinda thing!~
    It's interesting food made for the sake of weirdness, which I vote as the best kind. :3
    It's like a lolipop made from an octopus. It's weird/silly, but that's the charm.
    Last edited by Togath; 2019-07-06 at 04:37 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    I really don't get the hate
    Do you not understand why people would be angered by gratuitous evil, or are you unaware of the various reasons why various people consider the use of animal flesh as food to be unethical?

Can't say that my own jimmies are particularly rustled, myself. We're not talking about especially large-scale evil, and it appears to be ultimately self-serving rather than evil for its own sake. All a bit banal, really. Being upset by obvious trolling just gives the trolls what they want, and the trolling element itself isn't anything particularly bad in the grand scheme of things, either. Nothing to get worked up over.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

20. - Top - End - #20

I really don't get the hate, like, it's a Willy-Wonka-if-he-was-a-German-sausage-chef kinda thing!~
    It's interesting food made for the sake of weirdness, which I vote as the best kind. :3
    It's like a lolipop made from an octopus. It's weird/silly, but that's the charm.
    Same here. I agree
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't use the term 'evil' but I'd be surprised if the marketing people and / or a subset of the customers didn't to some degree consider it a jab at vegetarians and other meat avoiding people, or people who favor meat substitutes, etc.
    I'm sure it's not the main idea but I'd be surprised if there was zero 'vegetarians are funny' attitude from anyone involved.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I wouldn't use the term 'evil' but I'd be surprised if the marketing people and / or a subset of the customers didn't to some degree consider it a jab at vegetarians and other meat avoiding people, or people who favor meat substitutes, etc.
    I'm sure it's not the main idea but I'd be surprised if there was zero 'vegetarians are funny' attitude from anyone involved.
    It's pretty obviously a jab, it's not clear to me that it's mean spirited though. I feel like the "they're trolling the vegans, lol" attitude is mostly from people who don't like vegans and want Arby's to be trolling them. They're not deliberately trolling anybody, they're just inverting a current trend to be in line with their business practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by crayzz
    That a given person is known for his sex appeal does not mean that he is only known for his sex appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jere7my
    For instance, I am also known for my humility.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    I wouldn't say it's awful per se, but it definitely is overpriced and mediocre. Still, I stop by every other quarter or so to pick up a Ruben or brisket.
    I might just be mad that Arby's purchases most of the domestic elk market and then only sells it in the midwest. I want my autumn elk sausage dang it!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Ooh, elk is delicious stuff! I found a shop near here that sells some dried pepperoni and jerky and whatnot made from it, but haven't gotten a chance to try it many other ways yet.
    Meow(Steam page)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ooh, elk is delicious stuff! I found a shop near here that sells some dried pepperoni and jerky and whatnot made from it, but haven't gotten a chance to try it many other ways yet.
    Wild Elk tastes better but good luck getting that more then 1/5 years, tags are hard to pull now. I suggest Elk sausage, the strong flavor of the meat compliments the spices a lot. Elk pepperoni is also good but the meat is lost a bit.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Wild Elk tastes better but good luck getting that more then 1/5 years, tags are hard to pull now. I suggest Elk sausage, the strong flavor of the meat compliments the spices a lot. Elk pepperoni is also good but the meat is lost a bit.
    I wonder if it would be easier if you tried bow hunting, heard it's one hunters try to get around that issue.

As for the ad, I watched it and it's really just focused on meat, no mention of vegetarians or anything. They're probably not concerned with appealing to non-meat eaters, as it would appear that other fast food chains have already done that. So why follow the trends they set, especially when adding non-meat items is going to cause more work in the kitchen when you can just target a different customer base?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

It is clearly just a joke from Arby's. If you haven't seen their many ads they're all jokes. I've seen ads from them that referenced 40k, like how great the curly fries were because they were very easy to pile on ork trucks. Over-the-top and silly is what most of their ads are.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    The fact is we need technologies like artificial(vat grown) meat, soy/plant based meat and even something to replace other staples in the human diet like vegetables, fruits and even grains.
    I don't see how soy fits into this, especially as a substitute for meat. You'd have a better chance of turning lead into gold. At best you could use it as a protein source. But never a meat substitute.

Isn't a big part of the point of the aorementioned vat meat research to not have to deal with soy anymore?
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2019-07-09 at 12:11 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I don't see how soy fits into this, especially as a substitute for meat. You'd have a better chance of turning lead into gold. At best you could use it as a protein source. But never a meat substitute.

Isn't a big part of the point of the aorementioned vat meat research to not have to deal with soy anymore?
    Soy was being used way before finding substitutes to animal agriculture became widely viewed as an ethical or environmental concern. My guess is, as a protein and iron source, it'll pretty much always be cheaper than meat (lab grown or otherwise). It's not going away any time soon.

Plus some people cant eat meat for medical reasons, so no amount of vat grown meat is gonna feed them.
    Quote Originally Posted by crayzz
    That a given person is known for his sex appeal does not mean that he is only known for his sex appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jere7my
    For instance, I am also known for my humility.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by crayzz View Post
    Soy was being used way before finding substitutes to animal agriculture became widely viewed as an ethical or environmental concern. My guess is, as a protein and iron source, it'll pretty much always be cheaper than meat (lab grown or otherwise). It's not going away any time soon.

Plus some people cant eat meat for medical reasons, so no amount of vat grown meat is gonna feed them.
    But why soy? Isn't there protein and iron in peanuts? I mean, I know some people have severe allergies to peanuts, but not nearly enough people to account for all the tofu that gets sold.

And on a related note, having protein and iron doesn't make something a meat substitute. Peanut butter is not a meat substitute. A peanut butter sandwich is not a hamburger.

Omegaupdate Forum