New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Favourite way to generate ability scores?

I use the grid method that had been brought to my attention in another thread just like this.

Basically, you roll 4d6d3 nine times:

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll 1: 12
    Roll 2: 10
    Roll 3: 14
    Roll 4: 15
    Roll 5: 14
    Roll 6: 15
    Roll 7: 14
    Roll 8: 18
    Roll 9: 14

And then put the rolled results into a 3x3 grid, in order from top left to bottom right:

{table]
    12 | 10 | 14
    15 | 14 | 15
    14 | 18 | 14
    [/table]

Each column corresponds to a physical stat (STR, DEX and CON, in order from left to right), and each row corresponds to a mental stat (INT, WIS and CHA, in order from top to bottom), so the grid will look something like this with labels:

{table]
    | STR | DEX | CON
    INT | 12 | 10 | 14
    WIS | 15 | 10 | 15
    CHA | 14 | 18 | 14
    [/table]

Any single roll can be used for one of two attributes (but not both), at the point where they intersect on the grid. For instance, the 18 that I got on roll 8 meets at the intersecting point of the CHA row and the DEX column, so it can be used for either of these attributes (but not both, as each roll can only be used for one attribute).

I've rolled one good stat, and some decent stats otherwise. All told, this is pretty typical of the grid method, though the stats represented here are somewhat above-par for the typical rolled results I've been getting (I used a random number generator instead of actual dice, for what it's worth).

My one exceptional stat was rolled in the intersect of DEX and CHA, meaning it would probably be my best bet to roll up a DEX-based character (such as a ranger or rogue) or a CHA-based character (such as a sorcerer or bard). On the SAD vs. MAD issue, I have a number of serviceable rolls spanning most of the board, so there's no reason that I couldn't play a character that is MAD, such as a Charisma-focused Paladin (though "serviceable" doesn't mean "exceptional" as far as my melee damage stat is concerned). One of the possible outcomes includes (bold for physical stat, italics for mental stats):

Spoiler
    Show
    Melee Bard (or CHA Paladin, or Sorcadin; they'd use basically the same stat array):
    STR: 15
    DEX: 10
    CON: 14
    INT: 14
    WIS: 15
    CHA: 18

{table]
    | STR | DEX | CON
    INT | 12 | 10 | 14
    WIS | 15 | 10 | 15
    CHA | 14 | 18 | 14
    [/table]

Let's try again, with a different set of rolled results:

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll 1: 13
    Roll 2: 16
    Roll 3: 14
    Roll 4: 13
    Roll 5: 15
    Roll 6: 12
    Roll 7: 10
    Roll 8: 16
    Roll 9: 16

Lock them into a grid:

{table]
    | STR | DEX | CON
    INT | 13 | 16 | 14
    WIS | 13 | 15 | 12
    CHA | 10 | 16 | 16
    [/table]

Wow, a pretty good array. Again, a DEX-based fighter or a CHA-based caster seem like the ways to go here, although a 16 is decent enough if you want to go with an INT-based caster such as the Wizard. MAD beats SAD again, in this regard (though the grid has that tendency anyway).

Some possible stat arrays:

Spoiler
    Show
    Rogue-like:
    STR 13
    DEX 16
    CON 16
    INT 14
    WIS 15
    CHA 16

{table]
    | STR | DEX | CON
    INT | 13 | 16 | 14
    WIS | 13 | 15 | 12
    CHA | 10 | 16 | 16
    [/table]

Wizard/possible Theurge-type:
    STR 13
    DEX 16
    CON 16
    INT 16
    WIS 15
    CHA 10

{table]
    | STR | DEX | CON
    INT | 13 | 16 | 14
    WIS | 13 | 15 | 12
    CHA | 10 | 16 | 16
    [/table]

Ultimate Magus (split INT/CHA casting):
    STR 13
    DEX 15
    CON 16
    INT 16
    WIS 13
    CHA 16

{table]
    | STR | DEX | CON
    INT | 13 | 16 | 14
    WIS | 13 | 15 | 12
    CHA | 10 | 16 | 16
    [/table]
    Last edited by Lonely Tylenol; 2012-01-21 at 09:07 PM.
    Homebrew!
    5e: Expanded Inspiration Uses

Spoiler: 3.5/P Stuff. Warning: OLD
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Our group almost always does 4d6b3, arrange to taste, and a re-roll of a single die at any point (keeping the best of the two results).

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

We don't use either straight die rolling or point buy. The "25 Method" (set forth below) is our variation on a system suggested by Keith Davies, that Keith credited to Justisaur. Here is a cut-paste from our house rules:

The “25 Method”
    1. Roll 3d6; if total is less than 7, re-roll. Write this down as your first number.
    2. Subtract your first number from 25. Write this down as your second number.
    3. Roll 3d6; if total is less than 7, re-roll. Write this down as your third number.
    4. Subtract your third number from 25. Write this down as your fourth number.
    5. Roll 3d6; if total is less than 7, re-roll. Write this down as your fifth number.
    6. Subtract your fifth number from 25. Write this down as your sixth number.
    7. Assign your six numbers to your six ability scores as you choose. Keep in mind racial modifiers that you will be adding from your chosen race in step 8, so that you don’t waste any bonus; you cannot raise any ability score above 18 during character generation.
    8. Add racial modifiers to ability scores.
    9. You have four points to add to your ability scores as you choose, adding no more than two points to any one ability score (you can add one point each to four different ability scores; or two points each to two different ability scores; or two points to one ability score and one point each to two different ability scores). You cannot raise any ability score above 18 during character generation.
    10. You should end up with six ability scores ranging from 7 to 18. If you want to decrease any of your ability scores below 7 to better fit your character concept, you can do so now.

Edit: No, waitaminnit, that was the old system that we modified because it gave too high an average score. I had to fiddle some to lower the average, while still keeping a minimum but allowing the possibility of an 18, but I don't remember exactly how I did it. Now where is that notebook...?

Edit: Nevermind, I was doing the math wrong. Yeah, this is what we use, with the subtractions and then adding the four points in where the player chooses, it averages out to 13.167 for all ability scores before racial mods, but gives the player a lot of choice in assigning those numbers to ability scores, and using the points to reach higher on a high score or bump up a low score to not be quite so bad, depending on character concept.
    Last edited by SpaceBadger; 2012-01-21 at 09:45 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Generally speaking, a medium point buy.

Although once I played a game where everyone estimated the other players' IRL ability scores, and we each had to play a character made up of the average of those estimates (so we ended up playing ourselves). That was pretty fun as a one-time thing, though there's certainly some room for hurt feelings if your group doesn't have robust chemistry (and it was an all-male group, so we didn't run into the problem of IRL gender differences).

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have mostly used the 32 PB, but want to do the grid style that Tylenol posted (And I actually brought up in an earlier one of these) or the semi-random point by brought to you by Ars Ludi. Basically, you choose two of your six abilities. The remaining 4 are ordered as standard, and you roll d4, then d4-2. The former indicates one of those four, the latter determines what the ability modifier must be, exactly. So if I was going for a Druid and took Wis and Con as my "safe" abilities, I would then roll a d4. Suppose it came up 2, indicating Dex. The second d4-2 then comes up (4-2=2) meaning my starting Dex needs to be 14 or 15.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

I like using this one I found:
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Point_Buy,_Generate_Random

lets you have random stats within a point buy;
    if i wanted more randomness i'd just roll for which point buy table you get to use (within a spread of no more than 6)
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

32 point buy, largely because it is the standardised optimisation method and I utterly loathe die roll attributes.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I prefer the elite array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) with the mindset that every point counts for a lot.

All beings in my campaign world have base stats from the elite or average array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8). The distribution is supposed to be 5%/95%.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Sometime it'd be amusing to try 40 point buy. And I've heard of people who use 48, 50, even 60-point buy. (No, I have no idea what you'd do with all those points.)
    You make level 40 charactrs.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

Elite array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) plus the Advanced template for free.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    Point buy. It's fair. It's balanced.

Approve to this. I might start to whine a bit when it's said to be 4d6 drop lowest (which was the method we used for nearly all one-shots) but somehow either I had luck and was on the same level as the others or I had the scores that were worse than Elite Array but the rest of the group...well there was one time the wizard had more Strength and Constitution as my Goliath Barbarian...
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

When you pick the race, class, and background story for your character, you should also be able to decide in what relation the ability scores are to each other.
    Without minimum ability scores to take races and classes, you have the free choice with everything else and you're not "working with what you got" anyway.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Point Buy, but I like the higher values. Ten point seems to just beg for a party of wizards or other single attribute casters. Fifteen for anything MAD is an exersize in masochism. Personally, I like twenty five as a base-line. I've played as high as 42, though.
    I am a:
    Lawful Good Human Wizard (4th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 16
    Constitution- 16
    Intelligence- 17
    Wisdom- 18
    Charisma- 11

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Nowadays, typically point buy, as random rolling generates far too much variance between players (even with the DM moderating and saying, "okay, compared to everyone else, that's crap, reroll that one and that one" etc).

(Our primary Rolemaster party has generated such wildly different stats as they party advanced to to dice rolls, that in the end, I had to have one or two character basically regenerate with better stats to close the gap.)

I have never liked D&D's point buy, however, so I typically use a point-for-point system. Typically this is base 8 plus 30 points (which gives you something like an 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8), though I am considering using slightly higher (32-36), since at that level, you already can't get worse in the optimisation end, and it gives a bit more play in other areas (plus we've already see what a party with those stats is like in one game with another DM).

Notably, though, I should say, the PCs opposition is almost always like-stated classed enemies, as opposed to monsters. It makes it a bit more rocket tag, you might say, but then again our second system of choice is Rolemaster (where I have literally given up making BBEGs at all), and our third WFRP 1st edition, which also nearly as bad... So by comparison...

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

The group I am currently with uses a somewhat homebrew method of rolling

roll 4d6 8 times (dropping lowest each time) and then picking the 6 ability scores you want.

If you aren't happy with the set you can reroll, but only roll 7 times... and then again to 6.

Our party turned out well without large discrepencies. Those that have high scores have a couple low ones to balance out... those that don't have high scores have all medium scores (13-15) pretty much with maybe one 12.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by James the Dark View Post
    Point Buy, but I like the higher values. Ten point seems to just beg for a party of wizards or other single attribute casters. Fifteen for anything MAD is an exersize in masochism. Personally, I like twenty five as a base-line. I've played as high as 42, though.
    10 points would be even below average for 1st level commoner who don't even have a name.
    15 is the predictable average for 3d6.

I like low-power, but under 20 really is a terrible idea unless you want to play commoners.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

As a dm, I personally prefer 28-point buy. I hate games where one player is significantly more powerful than the rest of his team because he got good rolls, and the rest of the party did not. Sure, it may make things fun for the him, but it makes it annoying for other players when they get poor rolls. I say this out of experience, because the rest of my dnd group likes 4d6 Drop lowest. In one campaign, I rolled 16, 12, 11, 11, 10, 6. Another player, however, rolled 18, 18, 18, 17, 16, 14. Only reason I was able to contribute to the party was because I played an optimized druid, and he gimped himself (instead of cleric, he did some limited spellcaster, I don't remember which). Having to pick a dump stat to be a 14 versus having your highest stat at 16 makes things feel a little unfair.
    I think I just had an evilgasm!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

You can always start the game by making a coup the grace against yourself. If it's a high level campaign, you can't be resurrected against your will.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

I usually use 31 point buy. It's basically the same as 32 but there's no way to have all even scores, and there's not enough points to have a leftover that you can't spend.
    My favorite, however, is "give the character stats that make sense." Sadly, it only works with most players, not all.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    10 points would be even below average for 1st level commoner who don't even have a name.
    15 is the predictable average for 3d6.

I like low-power, but under 20 really is a terrible idea unless you want to play commoners.
    I think he is referring to Pathfinder Pointbuy which starts with stats at 10 and AFAIK the costs are different.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    You can always start the game by making a coup the grace against yourself. If it's a high level campaign, you can't be resurrected against your will.
    Technically, you can't CdG yourself, since you need to be helpless to be a valid target. The only "autocrit self" rule I've heard of is that one psionic power that makes you attack yourself.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground

My group usually does 32 point buy. Much less than that we've found makes things really tough for MAD classes. And rolling leads to too much of a discrepancy from player to player. The last campaign we tried it in, we had one player that ended up with the equivalent of like 20 point buy and another that had the equivalent of more than 60.
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

4d6 drop lowest, simple as that.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    My favorite, however, is "give the character stats that make sense." Sadly, it only works with most players, not all.
    The problem with this is that I can make a character for whom all 18s makes sense.
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    I think he is referring to Pathfinder Pointbuy which starts with stats at 10 and AFAIK the costs are different.
    I don't get why people say 20 PB is the PF equivalent of 32 PB. AFAIK, it's less. I think it's because all stats start at 10 instead of 8, which is worth 12 points.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-01-22 at 01:35 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Took me forever to get my group to stop rolling and move over to the 25 point buy (PF). Point buys are a little more realistic in my opinion, and it cuts down on cheating which we had unfortunately.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Halfling in the Playground

I've only used 4d6 and drop the lowest, in both PCing and DMing.

My current Dwarf Cleric/Sovereign Speaker rolled an 18, 13, 13, 12, 10, and 8, which (without counting the 18) would equate to 16 points in the buy system, but personally once I have the magic 18 in Wisdom, I'm more amiable to lower stats for flavor.
    Last edited by ajfonty; 2012-01-22 at 05:12 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ajfonty View Post

My current Dwarf Cleric/Sovereign Speaker rolled an 18, 13, 13, 12, 10, and 8, which would equate to less than 16 points in the buy system, but personally once I have the magic 18 in Wisdom, I'm more amiable to lower stats for flavor.
    That works for SAD classes like a Cleric, but try to make a melee character with them. I mean it is possible but I doubt you will be effective.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

29. - Top - End - #59
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by ajfonty View Post

My current Dwarf Cleric/Sovereign Speaker rolled an 18, 13, 13, 12, 10, and 8, which would equate to less than 16 points in the buy system, but personally once I have the magic 18 in Wisdom, I'm more amiable to lower stats for flavor.
    What sort of point buy system are you talking about? In standard point buy the 18 alone would have cost you 16 points. In the one I described that would be true, but only because it's a 1:1 ratio for simplicity.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geigan View Post
    What sort of point buy system are you talking about? In standard point buy the 18 alone would have cost you 16 points. In the one I described that would be true, but only because it's a 1:1 ratio for simplicity.
    Uh, he rolled.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting