New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1151 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Larre Gannd View Post
    There are easier ways to not consider Romeo and Juliet a tragedy. However, looking at them as protagonists, and through the intent of the author, it is a tragedy.
    For the Duke it's a success story, because finally the two families stop feuding.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Sure, it is a tragedy. And I don't want to consider it not a tragedy, I want to rewrite it so it's not a tragedy.
    Go publish your rewriting of Romeo and Juliet with blackjack and hookers if you think you can make it work, then.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larre Gannd View Post
    There are easier ways to not consider Romeo and Juliet a tragedy. However, looking at them as protagonists, and through the intent of the author, it is a tragedy.
    Like, for example, reading the original, which is a simple morality play in which the rebellious children get what they deserve for not following moral laws about respecting their elders. You may dislike the moral of the story, but the story itself is not a tragedy.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Like, for example, reading the original, which is a simple morality play in which the rebellious children get what they deserve for not following moral laws about respecting their elders. You may dislike the moral of the story, but the story itself is not a tragedy.

Grey Wolf
    Well, the elders are a bunch of perverts who believe their children are their property.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, the elders are a bunch of perverts who believe their children are their property.
    I think you have fairly thoroughly demonstrated that you missed the point of the story, if that was your takeaway.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I think you have fairly thoroughly demonstrated that you missed the point of the story, if that was your takeaway.
    More like, in usual T_W fashion, when presented to an answer to a challenge he thought impossible, he immediately descends into non sequitur territory in a transparent attempt to change the topic.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

The point of the story is that when you are a bunch of lunatics that think your kids are your property they die and someone stronger forces you two make peace with your enemies.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The point of the story is that when you are a bunch of lunatics that think your kids are your property they die and someone stronger forces you two make peace with your enemies.
    I stand by my statement.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I stand by my statement.
    Well, at the very least one of the takeaways anyone from our time would draw from the story is that the elders are in the wrong for trying to impose their wills on whom the two love.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Are you just trolling us at this point? The Bard derived R&J from an older Italian story. Shakespeare borrowed his plot from an original Italian tale. It is believed Romeo and Juliette were based on actual characters from Verona
    That's good to know, since it's the worst thing the dude wrote by far and I'll rail against the teacher unfortunate enough to think my child should spend a second on it in school.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That's good to know, since it's the worst thing the dude wrote by far and I'll rail against the teacher unfortunate enough to think my child should spend a second on it in school.
    Oh God, you're one of those insufferable Shakespeare hipsters. Just because R&J is his most popular play doesn't mean it's his worst. Not while Taming Of The Shrew still draws breath.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Oh God, you're one of those insufferable Shakespeare hipsters. Just because R&J is his most popular play doesn't mean it's his worst. Not while Taming Of The Shrew still draws breath.
    Good news for you, then, stage plays don't breathe.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Banned

Grey Wolf
    The play obeys the conventions of tragedy, and has "tragedy" in the title. Whether it is good tragedy is debatable, but that it is tragedy really isn't.

Nor is being a morality tale exclusive with or co-extensive with a particular dramatic form. The Orestia is a morality tale, and is tragic enough. Likewise Lysistrata teaches basically the same moral, and is a complete farce.

14. - Top - End - #884

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Please, tell me what Romeo and Julie knew about each other than than their looks, names, and eventually, what family they belonged to.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Banned

Please, tell me what Romeo and Julie knew about each other than than their looks, names, and eventually, what family they belonged to.
    That they each had a way with words and that they had a mutual friend/Yenta in Friar Lawrence

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Okay. So far we have someone arguing R&J is a morality tale about obeying one's parents, someone arguing it's bad, someone arguing the characters should have burnt down Verona in order to get married and people arguing the play is good. Anything else?
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-01-17 at 01:01 PM.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    The play obeys the conventions of tragedy, and has "tragedy" in the title.
    [citation needed]. Bandello didn't title his novellas, as far as I can determine. Although I will grant that the morals might have been added by the translators, rather than being written in explicitly by Bandello himself.

Grey Wolf

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Bandello
    You wouldn't believe what I read at first. *snickers like a kid in the fifth grade*

19. - Top - End - #889
    Bugbear in the Playground

I do think Romeo should have slaughtered his own family and Juliet should have poisoned hers, because the lives of their families became worth less than their choices the moment they placed restrictions on them regarding whom to love.
    I'd like to take a minute to point out that they never actually did that... actively placed restrictions on whom their children could love, I mean. Due to the nature of those feuding families, neither Romeo nor Juliet ever actually told their families about their affections for each other, based on the presumption that such news would not be taken well. Half the story's drama is based on that little bit of irony, and it would have gone in another direction entirely were it not present. There's even a few scenes that suggest lords Montague and Capulet are fairly sentimental folks, and given that they agree to bury the hatchet in the end (when Romeo and Juliet are both dead), it can be inferred that most of the plot could've been avoided, had Romeo or Juliet fessed up. (Or it could be stretched into a daytime soap opera by causing the families to fracture internally, giving us a couple dozen more points of conflict.)
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

20. - Top - End - #890
    Banned

[QUOTE=Grey_Wolf_c;23643481][citation needed]. Bandello didn't title his novellas, as far as I can determine./QUOTE]
    Fair enough, the English translation which Shakespeare (not speaking Italian) used as the source of Romeo and Juliet had "tragical" in the title. My memory was off.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

You may enjoy the Discworld version better, then:

Quote Originally Posted by Pratchett, Mort
    The disc's greatest lovers were undoubtedly Mellius and Gretelina, whose pure, passionate and soul-searing affair would have scorched the pages of History if they had not, because of some unexplained quirk of fate, been born two hundred years apart on different continents. However, the gods took pity on them and turned him into an ironing board* and her into a small brass bollard.

*When you're a god, you don't have to have reasons.
    (That's literally all we hear about them, AFAIK)

Grey Wolf

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    I'd like to take a minute to point out that they never actually did that... actively placed restrictions on whom their children could love, I mean. Due to the nature of those feuding families, neither Romeo nor Juliet ever actually told their families about their affections for each other, based on the presumption that such news would not be taken well. Half the story's drama is based on that little bit of irony, and it would have gone in another direction entirely were it not present. There's even a few scenes that suggest lords Montague and Capulet are fairly sentimental folks, and given that they agree to bury the hatchet in the end (when Romeo and Juliet are both dead), it can be inferred that most of the plot could've been avoided, had Romeo or Juliet fessed up. (Or it could be stretched into a daytime soap opera by causing the families to fracture internally, giving us a couple dozen more points of conflict.)
    Everything else you said is decently arguable (as in, I'm on the fence), but didn't the parents bury the hatchet only after the Duke basically showed up with the big proverbial guns?

23. - Top - End - #893

You may enjoy the Discworld version better, then:

(That's literally all we hear about them, AFAIK)

Grey Wolf
    I do indeed. I also enjoy the Douglas Adams-like humor.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Everything else you said is decently arguable (as in, I'm on the fence), but didn't the parents bury the hatchet only after the Duke basically showed up with the big proverbial guns?
    No. It was specifically the deaths of the two kids that caused them to realize how stupid they were being. The Duke got involved in a general sense several times, but he couldn't actually force them to stop the feud, just stop the overt violence.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

No. It was specifically the deaths of the two kids that caused them to realize how stupid they were being. The Duke got involved in a general sense several times, but he couldn't actually force them to stop the feud, just stop the overt violence.
    Fancy that. I wonder how the duke would have reacted if Mercutio hadn't actually started the fight that caused his death, instead being just an actual innocent bystander.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Fancy that. I wonder how the duke would have reacted if Mercutio hadn't actually started the fight that caused his death, instead being just an actual innocent bystander.
    Similarly, probably. As I recall, by the time he got there, Romeo was the only involved party left alive, and he hadn't killed Mercutio.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Colossus in the Playground

And, in this context, I'm pondering how to make it so R&J isn't a tragedy.
    In Mercedes Lackey's Heralds of Valdemar books, the novel Closer to Home draws heavily on the R&J story.

"Romeo" attempts to murder everyone in both families, except "Juliet", frame the whole thing as a "tragic accident" - marry Juliet, and inherit all the wealth of both families.

Fortunately, his plot fails, only a few are killed, he ends up being shot dead while attempting to escape justice, and "Juliet" lives, sadder but wiser.

The Herald protagonist of the story fills the "Mercutio" role, of getting involved in a fight between "Romeo" and "Tybalt" - luckily for him, he's only slightly wounded.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2019-01-17 at 01:37 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    In Mercedes Lackey's Heralds of Valdemar books, the novel Closer to Home draws heavily on the R&J story.

"Romeo" attempts to murder everyone in both families, except "Juliet", frame the whole thing as a "tragic accident" - marry Juliet, and inherit all the wealth of both families.

Fortunately, his plot fails, only a few are killed, he ends up being shot dead while attempting to escape justice, and "Juliet" lives, sadder but wiser.
    In my version, both are, one, more competent, two, on the same page.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Colossus in the Playground

The point of the Lackey version, is that Romeo is kind of a villain from the start - just very good at concealing it.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The point of the Lackey version, is that Romeo is kind of a villain from the start - just very good at concealing it.
    Right. Ah well. I have to step out for a bit. Don't you folks argue for weird and violent things while I'm out, you hear?