New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5: GMR part 4 - Needs salt!

Unfortunately, It looks like I'll have to be putting on vacation mode for a bit. My video card appears to have gone out, and it will take a bit to have a replacement.

So go, AI Caesar! Don't do anything stupid!
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm away for one turn and suddenly my empire is swarming with barbarians. How does this even happen?

Spoiler: To Byzantium
    Show
    While we are unimpressed by your unwillingness to negotiate agreed territorial boundaries, we still hope for a continuing peaceful relationship.

On lighter matters, we have recently discovered the land of Zurich, and were wondering what your pre-existing relationship with them is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: To New India
    Show
    Zurich is a trusted friend and trading partner. Let it be known that Zurich, along with the two other small cities right beside it, are, while not official part of Byzantine Empire, still entirely under it's sphere of influence and protection.

Other than that, what deals you have with our lesser neighbours is not really our concern in any way.

The recent expansion of Byzantine territory might seem overtly aggressive in your eyes, but look at it this way; Nomen est omen. Founding of Trader's Rest will surely mean a lucrative future for both of our empires, enabling easier trade between our peoples. At least, as soon as we get all these savages disrupting our caravans out of the way...

Bask in the glow of Empress' Warmth

~ Byzantine representative

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    So go, AI Caesar! Don't do anything stupid!
    Don't eradicate Morocco completely, AI Caesar. :/
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-10-06 at 02:06 AM. Reason: engrish
    Well that was awkward.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm afraid eradicating people completely is just what AI Caesar does...

To spectators:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Joy, my construction of Petra is complete. Also, so far my Atlatlists and Warriors have managed to protect me against barbarian incursion. It's by no stretch a grand army but I have enough to keep the barbarians down and protect my 3 workers (two of which are courtesy of city-states).
    I've also managed to make a city-state ally which is currently keeping me at a comfortable 20 happiness. However, with my plan to settle a 6th city soon (settler is done in 3 turns) and my plans to fast-grow my capital Sarnath with caravans (I should be able to manage 3 food caravans from my other cities to Sarnath in 4 or 5 turns) I'm going to tear into that happiness pretty soon.

I also have some pictures
    Spoiler
    Show

A strategical overview of the current Mayan Empire. You'll likely notice the copper deposits west of Tikal which is where I plan to settle my next city. I haven't had much contact with China so far but hopefully they won't mind.

Spoiler
    Show

Pretty much the same area just in regular map mode, for those who like it like that.

Last edited by Driderman; 2014-10-06 at 05:29 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185

Morocco may, in fact, be completely boned.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Driderman
    Show
    OOC: If you're concerned about the AI disrupting things, I was planning to eliminate Morocco anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think I'll miss more than a couple of turns, but it all depends on how fast we go. I should have a replacement that can run Civ this weekend.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler: Driderman
    Show
    OOC: If you're concerned about the AI disrupting things, I was planning to eliminate Morocco anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think I'll miss more than a couple of turns, but it all depends on how fast we go. I should have a replacement that can run Civ this weekend.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I figured. Btw, I guess I should thank you for distracting Morocco while I finished Petra

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Idea to save Morocco: if everyone agrees, we could turn off the turn timer until Luzahn gets back. If it's only till this weekend it shouldn't be such a big deal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I would leave that up to Luzahn. He did initiate the attack after all.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't see how Morroco is safer fighting Luzahn unless he's already surrounded with his capital on half-health. Its not like the AI is good at fighting.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2014-10-07 at 04:58 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

11. - Top - End - #191

Morocco has had some very bad luck, coupled with getting caught with his pants down. He will fight on, though.

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    Morocco has had some very bad luck, coupled with getting caught with his pants down. He will fight on, though.
    The spectators request pictures!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

13. - Top - End - #193

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    The spectators request pictures!
    I'll do what I can, but I am in crunch time with work/show week/thanksgiving/all myriad things conspiring to take up my time.

14. - Top - End - #194

I'll do what I can, but I am in crunch time with work/show week/thanksgiving/all myriad things conspiring to take up my time.
    Ah. Yeah, I understand.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

To be honest my biggest concern is the AI somehow deciding to capitulate / suicide my troops. I was managing those guys carefully.

Although I'll leave it up to everybody else; It's a problem on my end that's causing the AI to be required, and I don't want to inconvenience anybody else because of it. If the AI is moving troops stupidly, the player should be able to capitalize on it. Just no exploitative trade deals, please.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-10-07 at 06:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196

To be honest my biggest concern is the AI somehow deciding to capitulate / suicide my troops. I was managing those guys carefully.

Although I'll leave it up to everybody else; It's a problem on my end that's causing the AI to be required, and I don't want to inconvenience anybody else because of it. If the AI is moving troops stupidly, the player should be able to capitalize on it. Just no exploitative trade deals, please.
    ~Exploit, Exploit, Exploit, Luzahn for all his money!

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I don't mind if we wait.

18. - Top - End - #198

I for one welcome the new Roman AI overlords.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

They're like the Borg, but with Aquila!
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-10-09 at 10:09 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200

"The Moroccans, being a people more prone to trade, comfort and 'family planning', were caught completely off guard by the sudden invasion by the Romans. While relations had never been warm, al-Mansur was certain that with time the tense early days of the two empires would simply have been the beginning of a beautiful friendship. But those hopes were dashed as Casablanca was sacked in a matter of days, the speed and ferocity of the Roman advance shocking the rest of the world.

Despair became the dominant mood in Marrakesh, and many prominent merchants fled to found a new city to the north, away from the rampaging Legions. Al-Mansur, ever the diplomat, tried in vain to assemble an army that could halt the advance, but with Morocco being so spread out, it was difficult to rally anyone.

All seemed lost as the Romans advanced on Fes, al-Mansur prepared to offer anything to get the Romans to leave, but then the strangest thing happened: The advance stopped. The Moroccan generals were flabbergasted as the once formidable Legions just held their postitions outside Fes as the Desert Archers formed up around them. They couldn't have known this, but Rome was suffering from severe leadership problems, succession and political infighting among the higher ranks in the society had led to a purge of the officer class, and soon the invaders found themselves without orders, with many of their prominent captains dead or hurrying back to Rome to save their fortunes.

Fes had been saved, but through no brilliance or honour on the part of the Moroccans. Al-Mansur was deeply ashamed that the people had suffered so on his watch, and so he made a promise to his empire: Casablanca would be returned."
    -excerpt from A History of the Late-Classical Period
    Last edited by OrcusMcP; 2014-10-10 at 04:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201

Woo! ~Fight, Fight, Fight for our entertainment!

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Damn you AI Caesar! The City had one health last time!

Damn yooooouuuuu!
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-10-10 at 09:09 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I guess this explains how the Roman Empire collapsed: Vacation mode

24. - Top - End - #204

State of Morocco

Spoiler: Spectators!
    Show

This is the front of the war. Only the AI being terrible at war saved me. I likely could have still hung on to Fes if Luzahn was controlling, but not in as good a position I am now. I can likely take Casablanca back in a couple of turns. I don't really want to press my luck and advance on Rome, so I will try to arrange a peace after I get my city back.

Tangiers. This was supposed to be my awesome Petra city, and my Great Engineer was all ready to rush build, but then one turn away someone else got Petra. My exact words were "DAMN IT! DAMN IT! DAMN IT!"

Marrakesh itself. I really need to get the war over and start getting my income back up. There's another city I want to found to my west soon, but there's a barb camp in the spot.

As far as long term plans, I don't know. I got beat to the Great Library, I didn't get Desert Folklore, I got beat to Petra and Colossus, I had to drop everything to try to stay alive, I probably won't be able to found a religion, I'm not liking my odds to actually win this game. My hope at this point is to become kingmaker. Once I have my Kasbahs and Berber Cavalry I will be very hard to crack open, so I hope to just get ton of cash and use it to buy favours and stir the drink of the other big powers.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show

One Turn.
    ONE &*#%ING TURN!

Just you wait...
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206

Spoiler: To Rome
    Show
    OOC: I have taken back Casablanca, and then I immediately offered the AI peace. I don't know what they have said yet, since it's not my turn and no one else has commented. I don't know if the AI would even accept it.

However, if you are jumping back in soon, it would be helpful to know: Do you want peace? Or are we going to race to the bottom?

27. - Top - End - #207
    Firbolg in the Playground

King Darius of Persia sat happily on his throne on the royal observation platform, looking down on the fields that were at last safe from barbarian incursions, when a member of the newly created bureaucracy came up the stairs and coughed for attention.

"What is it, asked the King?"

"Its this balance sheet, my lord" replied the bureaucrat as he passed a tablet to the King.

"Balance sheet? Are you sure? It doesn't look balanced."

"That, oh great king and lord of all the lands of the two rivers, is the problem."

"Oh dear."

"The good news is that China finished Chitzen Itza before us, so we have a windfall before we go bankrupt. The bad news is that we wasted time on Chitzen Itza we could have spent on trade units and markets."

"What? I thought you said you'd be-lined for bureaucracy so we could build Chitzen Itza before everyone else?"

"Yes, but then you said you wanted more Immortals before we became unable to built them, so we delayed a little."

"Oh."

"Then you had our engineer build the Terracotta army instead, which has put us even further into the red."

"What, so you're saying we don't have Chitzen Itza because China built it and we are about to go bankrupt because we have too many soldiers?"

"Yes..."

"Isn't most of our army on a training exercise on Kilimanjaro?"

"Yes..."

"Oh dear."
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2014-10-14 at 02:21 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

That Chichen Itza is a cheap knock-off anyway

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: To Rome
    Show
    OOC: I have taken back Casablanca, and then I immediately offered the AI peace. I don't know what they have said yet, since it's not my turn and no one else has commented. I don't know if the AI would even accept it.

However, if you are jumping back in soon, it would be helpful to know: Do you want peace? Or are we going to race to the bottom?
    Unfortunately, it looks like my chances in this game have been ruined. The plan was to eliminate you entirely and then build from there, which honestly I should have been easily able to do if I had been in control; I can produce a Legion every three turns in most of my cities, my production was ridiculous. Without that conquest, my early economic situation puts me far too far behind.

So, I'd say do whatever you'd like, at this point I honestly wouldn't mind being eliminated, especially since it looks like it will take a few more days for my replacement computer stuff to arrive.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-10-14 at 06:22 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210

Unfortunately, it looks like my chances in this game have been ruined. The plan was to eliminate you entirely and then build from there, which honestly I should have been easily able to do if I had been in control; I can produce a Legion every three turns in most of my cities, my production was ridiculous. Without that conquest, my early economic situation puts me far too far behind.

So, I'd say do whatever you'd like, at this point I honestly wouldn't mind being eliminated, especially since it looks like it will take a few more days for my replacement computer stuff to arrive.
    Alright, if you insist.