New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 153 - tBfGK - 140

Quote Originally Posted by Fez View Post
    I dunno. The spockamancer? sure was emoting a lot. I mean three exclamation marks? That's not very logical.
    He is high on spores.

EDIT: And why are there a bunch of tapered snakes/sperm wiggling about the ground?
    Snakes symbolize occult knowledge.
    Last edited by Tingel; 2009-04-11 at 03:33 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cdrcjsn View Post
    Do we have any evidence that casters can identify other casters by sight? As far as I know knowing unit stats is only an ability of faction leaders and warlords right?
    Casters can see unit stats.

Oh yeah, and the Hippiemancer's name is Janis

EDIT:
    I dunno about the "fame" thing. Remember that this is just after Parson jumped through the Portal - I doubt the Volcano is even halfway done by this point.

Yeah, it's probably the Thinkamancy Reason.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2009-04-11 at 03:38 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorTribble View Post
    For reasons I can't fathom people seem to think the volcano was only a Dirtamancy spell, not one of those uber spells cast by a mage gestalt. I'm guessing people only noticed the flowing lava (not the uncroak the dead volcano part). Now there're those who'd want to either kill or capture the dirtamancer responsible for such a devestating spell, and the Magic Kingdom is trying to stall the inevitable drama.
    Also, talking to someone in a link as an individual endangers the link (and possibly their lives). That's why he stopped Orko from saying Sizemore's name.

But yes, I'm guessing that Sizemore is famous because of what happened just now...

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman64 View Post
    That is for sure Carl Sagan in the last few panels.

It's the exact same suit he wore in the Cosmos series, down to the patches on the elbow of his jacket. He has the same hair and the same shirt. Add on top he's a thinkamancer (considering he sent out a message for more thinkamancers) and who else could it be.
    The clincher:

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    ETA: Oops, nevermind. That was Arthur Clarke, not Carl Sagan who said that...
    Last edited by ShinyBrowncoat; 2009-04-11 at 03:41 PM.
    Oh it is the eyeball one.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudbreaker View Post
    I think the thinkamancer stopped Sizemore's name from being said because it could destroy the link.
    This is probably why. Maybe the reason such a big deal was made out of talking to Misty was just so people don't get used to calling her by name for when she's actually linked.

Ok, so the snakes have always been there. I guess I just didn't notice it before because there were so few. But why are the snakes there?

And now that we've figured out who all the casters all, cookie for the first person to figure out what they all are!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sagan or whoever he is stops Orko from saying Sizemore's name because addressing Sizemore as an individual could break the link suddenly, which could end badly for them. He's a thinkamancer. So he understands. Besides, names have magical significance even in erfworld. It's how they brought Jack back from crazytown, after all.

EDIT: I was ninja'd! Oh well.
    Last edited by datalaughing; 2009-04-11 at 03:39 PM.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Parson's a hippie-mancer? Didn't see that one coming. Or the Leonard Nimoy look-a-like.
    Its possible. But lest we forget, its also very possible that the hippiemancer is lying and simply said it to defuse the situation.

Though it'd be pretty funny if he was a hippiemancer, someone who brings peace. Of course, one could argue that's precisely what he's meant to do...

I wonder why there's no charge for the thinkamancers. I guess they really like Sizemore. Good guy, frequent customer, and he seems to tip pretty well.
    Most likely. They may also know Maggie and like her as well. Or they could have reasons of their own.

And what's up with all those snakes?
    Association with knowledge/wisdom.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cdrcjsn View Post
    Do we have any evidence that casters can identify other casters by sight? As far as I know knowing unit stats is only an ability of faction leaders and warlords right?
    Yes, Parson's Klog says all warlords and casters can do that. They are just confused because no one can see Parson's stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf von Ehrwal View Post
    Yes, Parson's Klog says all warlords and casters can do that. They are just confused because no one can see Parson's stats.
    Can casters (and warlords) see enemy stats, or just their own side's?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Can casters (and warlords) see enemy stats, or just their own side's?
    Both sides, presumably, but nobody can see Parson's stats.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Halfling in the Playground

The guy next to Orko could be Carl Sagan. Pardon the political content of the web page I found the picture on, btw, just see the picture please.

But I also think that there was a guy in Scanners or maybe the Fury who was a sportcoat wearing psychic.. I can't find a picture to exemplify this though.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rwald View Post
    Is it just me, or is the guy towards the end of the comic, the one who covers Black Red Mage's mouth, supposed to be Carl Sagan? It's a bit of a stretch, but note the atom-symbol around his wand in the group shot.
    Well, he is a thinkamancer. Sagan was my reaction, too. Plus, "sagan" sort of means "mind."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    And now that we've figured out who all the casters all, cookie for the first person to figure out what they all are!
    Hmm...
    Spoiler
    Show
    From Left to Right
    - Albus Dumbledore
    Carnymancer
    No so sure here, but he can't be a Thinkamancer (or Sagan wouldn't have needed to summon more) and there's no "fire-mancer." But he does summon a lot of things, which I imagine is what Carnymancy is all about

- Hermione Granger
    Mathamancer
    Big on the books, right?

- Harry Potter
    Rhyme-o-Mancer
    Maybe even with garbled Latin phrases

- Carl Sagan
    Thinkamancer
    Given

- Orko
    Hatamancer
    It's pretty much the only thing he did well

- Jeannie
    Changemancer
    Most of her wishes were material based, and she did a lot of turning one thing into another.

- Wicked Witch of the West
    Weirdomancer
    The Wicked Witch's main power seems to be in her minions, and I think the Spookism School is all about animating the inanimate (like the Bears). Besides, shouldn't she be a Spookist?

- Doctor Strange
    Predictamancer
    Doctor Strange would definitely fall under the "Hocus Pocus" School, and he spends a lot of time foretelling DOOOOM!

Oh, and The Chart for ease of reading
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2009-04-11 at 04:00 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

I think so; the klog doesn't limit this to units of the own side. And Sir Webinar immediately recognized Sizemore as the caster when he saw him.
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

"He's a Hippiemancer. But guard him anyway." I am with the people who think Janis is pulling a fast one here in order to 1) defuse the situation and 2) get Parson into her charge. Also, a masterclass Thinkamancer would be very leery of having the names of the participants of a link just dropped about while they were present. So no secrecy, I suspect, just professional caution.

Nice page, and a nice change of pace after the emotional tension of earlier. So now we only need to find out what the Tool is up to while all this is going on, and what he will think of things when he comes home to the lava pool.
    My Avatar is Vinnie Doombats from the Erfworld comic written by Rob Balder and illustrated by Jamie Noguchi.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Well I suppose that explains why Parson's upkeep was so high. Kudos to those who guessed that he was a warlord/caster, although I don't think anyone guessed he was a hippiemancer.

Janis of course could be lying, but I don't think it was necessary to defuse the situation at that point since he was already unconscious, and I don't think she would risk her reputation on someone who she doesn't even know. She could have just said 'let's wait and figure out how he got here' and gotten the same response.

17. - Top - End - #47

DwarfClericGuy

I really enjoyed all of the references in this one.

And Parson's delayed reaction to the "Spock Pinch" made me snicker.

Also, Parson's a caster?! Wha-wha-what?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glome View Post
    Well I suppose that explains why Parson's upkeep was so high. Kudos to those who guessed that he was a warlord/caster, although I don't think anyone guessed he was a hippiemancer.

Janis of course could be lying, but I don't think it was necessary to defuse the situation at that point since he was already unconscious, and I don't think she would risk her reputation on someone who she doesn't even know. She could have just said 'let's wait and figure out how he got here' and gotten the same response.

Speaking of upkeep, how is Parson's going to be maintained now that the Tool's treasury has been buried under an earthquake and melted by a ton of lava?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll join the Janis-lied-faction. She probably wanted to calm everybody down and get a closer look at him. Casters are very valuable, and the casters-only portal probably protected the magic kingdom from attackers that would like to have them all. If Parson can ignore that, he is a potential threat to all of them.
    ― Joseph Stalin

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking of upkeep, how is Parson's going to be maintained now that the Tool's treasury has been buried under an earthquake and melted by a ton of lava?
    It could be automatic, in which case however much is left of the Tool's treasury under the tons of rock will continue to have the necessary gold withdrawn from it every day until it runs out.

21. - Top - End - #51

His food might not pop next turn, but I suspect Parson can afford to miss a couple of meals.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Down down down goes the server... down down down goes my mind

The upkeep could be a problem; but Jillian somehow managed to survive with her squad, so she must have had some money with her. Maybe warlords and casters automatically carry a little bit of the treasure with them when they leave their city.
    Last edited by Welf; 2009-04-11 at 04:32 PM.
    ― Joseph Stalin

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf von Ehrwal View Post
    Down down down goes the server... down down down goes my mind

The upkeep could be a problem; but Jillian somehow managed to survive with her squad, so she must have had some money with her. Maybe warlords and casters automatically carry a little bit of the treasure with them when they leave their city.
    Jillian was heir. That's different.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

I'm with the people that claim quick lie, but I'd find the alternative just as interesting. Everyone's been wanting to find out what the heck *special means for a long time now.

While people can see stats, apparently they don't normally see names or questions like, "Isn't that so-and-so?" would never be asked. I think Sizemore just visits the Magic Kingdom so often, and trained under all the specialties, so he's pretty much known personally by many.

Since context has me looking back at this page, http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0011.html Looks like I'm seeing some dance fighting training going on in the background there. Especially than one guy looks to be doing a Capoeira move, so maybe that was the inspiration for dance fighting.

It's interesting how the island pie colors extends into the water.
    Last edited by ishnar; 2009-04-11 at 04:38 PM.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Doubletake: Parson said die!

26. - Top - End - #56

RedWizardGuy

I don't think Parson is actually a caster, but his 'special' attribute allows him into the Magic Kingdom. I think the fact that he comes from outside Erf means he is able to bend some rules.

27. - Top - End - #57

NecromancerGuy

Nice bit of expo speak in fist two panels. Clears up many questions but doesn't feel forced at all.
    Current avatar is a placeholder until I get a custom one.

I am:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chaotic Neutral Elf Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 11
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 18
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 13

What Kind of Dungeons and Dragons Character Would You Be?

My controversial opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Varsavius is male.
    Belkar is chaotic evil.
    Sabine is a fiend.
    "I... I must succeed" were not the 4 words.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Jillian was heir. That's different.
    And so was the Tool. So we only have exemples of heir's becaming barbarian after the King passes. (Just a tought)

And if Parson is really an Hippiemiancer, what flavor? (Flower-power, signamancer or date-a-mancer)

This is from the magic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Hippiemancy (We know this field largely by inference.)

Flower power--Used to calm beings and create peace. (May also cause distortion in one's awareness of time.)

Signamancy--Theme-based speculation: astrology, prophecy, and/or omens. Long-term and general predictions, rather than the short-term, focused applications of Predictamancy.

Date-a-mancy--Speculation: Date- or turn-based numerology. Prediction of auspicious times for various actions. "Your lucky number is four. Wait until the fourth turn to commit your forces."
    Given this theory Parson could easly fit in one of the last 2
    *remember, english is not my mother language, heck, it's not even my aunt language, well maybe my 3rd degree cousin language

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

Could the fact that Parson is a summoned creature have anything to do with his ability to go through the gate? He could be considered some sort of spell by the portal.

30. - Top - End - #60

So what kind of currency do we think Rands are?

I'm thinking that the magic kingdom is supposed to be Galt's Gulch.

Either that or it's a reference to the RAND corporation... these are the finest minds in Erf after all...