New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XIV: High In Protean

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    I commend your flawless deduction skills. Bravo!
    Commend, condemn, one of those two, anyway.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-06-24 at 08:23 AM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

Grey Wolf
    Correct. 10
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Grey Wolf
    For the latter, I'd assume it would be because I made the thread irrelevant due to solving the mystery.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #544
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    It can't have been that long. I mean I just edited my first page post to describe the most recent appearance, before that it was just a strip number and no description. Would I have left it undescribed for so long? :-) (Answer: yes, more than 6 months.)
    And before that it was like, three years since his last set of appearances, which afaik didn’t provide much info
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    For the latter, I'd assume it would be because I made the thread irrelevant due to solving the mystery.
    Yes. The thread is pointless, balloons dropped because it was the correct option.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

5. - Top - End - #545

Oh, and I don't think I need to say this, but just in case... Crusher, please do not actually add Wile E. Coyote to my actual guess in your log.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, and I don't think I need to say this, but just in case... Crusher, please do not actually add Wile E. Coyote to my actual guess in your log.
    ::Ahem::

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    No takebacks!
    GW

7. - Top - End - #547

::Ahem::

No takebacks!
    GW

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, alright, I said I'll watch the damn show!

Oh wait, wrong thread. Carry on with the humiliating.
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #550
    Colossus in the Playground

Now I want to see Wile E. Coyote pasted into all the MitD scenes as a black-and-white figure in the dark.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Now I want to see Wile E. Coyote pasted into all the MitD scenes as a black-and-white figure in the dark.
    Like how if you watch the Futurama pilot and pay close attention, you can see
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nibbler's shadow when Fry's chair tips over and he falls into the cryogenic machine.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3Power View Post
    It's more like wanting to discuss Arimaa, but the mods decided that chess variants belong in the chess thread, so you end up discussing Arimaa with people with no interest in learning about or discussing anything other than basic chess. So your choices are continue to try to discuss Arimaa in the chess thread or don't discuss it at all. And let's say for the sake of argument that said forum is pretty much the only location on the internet where discussion of Chess and chess variants are relevant.

Let's be real here. When this thread isn't discussing the ha-naga or protean, its discussing snorlax and wile-e coyote. Sorry, but when this is the ONLY place where the MiTD mystery can be discussed and the only thing being discussed when I'm not around are meme monsters, the idea that I'm somehow keeping you from more important business is laughable.

Also the irritation on discussing the same points over and over again goes both ways. I don't like having to re-explain several times, for instance, that "no, that's not how naga having access to cleric spells works." But that's why accurate information in the op would be a plus
    That's a good example actually. In your example, if you want to discuss Arimaa in a chess thread, most of the people in that thread won't be interested in talking about it. And that's not their fault, it's because of the rules created by the site administrators. And on this site, the administrators decided that each topic should only have one thread, and it's their right to do so. No one is preventing you from discussing the changes you want made to this thread over and over again, if it makes you happy. But if you do that, you have to understand that eventually people will just stop responding to you. If you don't like the rules of the forum, and you don't like the rules of the thread that have been voted on, then I don't know what advice I can give you, except that Reddit and Facebook both have OOTS discussion boards with more liberal rules than this board.

13. - Top - End - #553

Remember my official guess is still Redcloak’s niece somehow, you’re the lucky one here.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

14. - Top - End - #554

ElfWarriorGuy

Oh, c'mon. I'm not a hack. I'm not going to add Wile E. Coyote to your guess.

Obviously I'd *replace* your guess with Wile E. Coyote. I do take this seriously, after all.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

15. - Top - End - #555

Oh, c'mon. I'm not a hack. I'm not going to add Wile E. Coyote to your guess.

Obviously I'd *replace* your guess with Wile E. Coyote. I do take this seriously, after all.
    Look, I'm going to let you know right now, there is no shortage of unique gifs of Calculon dramatically screaming "NOOOOOOO".
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-06-24 at 11:03 AM.

16. - Top - End - #556

ElfWarriorGuy

Look, I'm going to let you know right now, there is no shortage of unique gifs of Calculon dramatically screaming "NOOOOOOO".
    Well, no one wants to subject everyone to that. This time I'll let you go with a warning.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

[SNIP]The Monster in the Darkness is, quite clearly, Wile E. Coyote.[SNIP][balloons fall]
    You are of course correct.

Duly added to Section 3.c.
    Definitely no fun at parties
    Grey Wolf
    Good.

Crap, now I need to submit a guess.

Hmm,

Wiley E. Coyote > Carbosilicate Amorph > Redcloak's Niece > Snorlax > Protean

Sigh, now that I've started submitting guesses about the comic, next thing you know, I'll be predicting Kenny Belkar's death and it's all downhill from there.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    That's a good example actually. In your example, if you want to discuss Arimaa in a chess thread, most of the people in that thread won't be interested in talking about it. And that's not their fault, it's because of the rules created by the site administrators. And on this site, the administrators decided that each topic should only have one thread, and it's their right to do so. No one is preventing you from discussing the changes you want made to this thread over and over again, if it makes you happy. But if you do that, you have to understand that eventually people will just stop responding to you. If you don't like the rules of the forum, and you don't like the rules of the thread that have been voted on, then I don't know what advice I can give you, except that Reddit and Facebook both have OOTS discussion boards with more liberal rules than this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3powers
    Let's be real here. When this thread isn't discussing the ha-naga or protean, its discussing snorlax and wile-e coyote.
    It is actually at least partially their fault, for arbitrarily deciding that Ha-Naga is a valid topic of conversation, and ANB, Snorlax, carbosilicate amorphs, Chronotyryn, Primus and Klurichir (to pick creatures brought up in the last couple of days) somehow are not. Or heck, even Wile E. Coyote - we've had a long tradition of silly guesses in this thread, going all the way back to the Most Dangerous Box. That arbitrary decision has nothing to do with board rules or thread rules. We've hashed out the Ha-Naga, it has failed to impress, we've moved on, just like we've moved on from dozens of others. Insisting on repeating the conversation over and over to the same creature, with the same arguments is not something caused by the rules.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-06-24 at 02:03 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

19. - Top - End - #559

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    You are of course correct.

Good.

Crap, now I need to submit a guess.

Hmm,

Wiley E. Coyote > Carbosilicate Amorph > Redcloak's Niece > Snorlax > Protean

Sigh, now that I've started submitting guesses about the comic, next thing you know, I'll be predicting Kenny Belkar's death and it's all downhill from there.
    Excellent. And I promise to not even mess with...

Well, wait. Per the rules, if you submit more than 3 ranked-order guesses, I cut off everything after 3. Are you ok with predicting Wile E. Coyote > Cabosilicate Amorph > Redcloak's Niece?

Edit -

Remember my official guess is still Redcloak’s niece somehow, you’re the lucky one here.
    That guess, much like a Protean, can change if you like. In fact, particularly like a Protean, Darth Paul has changed their guess 5 times.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2020-06-24 at 03:07 PM.

20. - Top - End - #560

That guess, much like a Protean, can change if you like. In fact, particularly like a Protean, Darth Paul has changed their guess 5 times.
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

[furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]
    "Darth Paul is known to speak English, but not Common. Therefore, it would be surprising to see Darth Paul speaking common..."
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "Darth Paul is known to speak English, but not Common. Therefore, it would be surprising to see Darth Paul speaking common..."
    Darth Paul cannot raise the dead...
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #563

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Darth Paul cannot raise the dead...
    Unless he took a bunch of cleric levels!

And we don’t know that he’s NOT beautiful and vomit-inducing!

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

As for meme monsters, Snorlax would actually be excellent if not for trademarking or whatever.
    Yeah, it's the best fit we have so far IMO...

I wonder if Peelee's Boss has ordered him to enforce/crack down on us discussing "Copyrighted" Snorlax in the forum that he owns...? Or the opposite? ;)

I've always said it would be very interesting to empirically determine whether talk of Snorlax is de facto allowed well beyond what normal Forum Rules would okay.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Missed this earlier....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    So i've looked into Chronotyryn to see how it fits up, and i've gotten the following:
    Listed DR in this source is workable, i think the dr 15/magic is from a pathfinder version?
    No, it's from the 3.5 update booklet, which covers (among other things) updating monsters in 3.0 books to 3.5 standards; similar to what happened to the Order of the Stick in the very first strip.

Damage reduction changed in 3.5; per the update booklet's "behind the scenes" section on it, the intent was to make damage reduction less "don't even bother if you don't have enough pluses on your weapon", and more "you'll need to try harder if you don't have the right kind of weapon". This was done by reducing damage reduction amounts across the board, and by changing what bypasses damage reduction from a single scale of enhancement bonus (with special materials counting as "0") to sets of yes-or-no magic/epic/material/alignment/damage-type...and this is why a lot of 3.0 monsters struggle/fail to explain the defensive portion of the tower scene when updated.

Fiend Folio is in an odd spot: It's a 3.0 book, being published before the 3.5 core books; but it conforms to most of the 3.5 standards and even references the yet-to-have-been-released revised core rulebooks at one point. I'm guessing the work on 3.5 took longer than expected and a decision was made to release Fiend Folio with what was already done, but that's purely conjectural on my part....Anyway, damage reduction is the only prominent change to the book (unlike the other books, that had to account for new numbers of skill points and feats all over the place).

Fiend Folio is also in a different odd spot: It contains the death dog, which nevertheless is called out in Dorukan's pit of monsters that "were never officially updated to 3rd Edition". And I'm never quite sure what, if anything, that should be taken to imply....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    If you're trying to do a separator,
    Code:
    [hr][/hr]
    pulls its weight.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

26. - Top - End - #566
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

No, everyone is excited because we all think MitD will make an appearance soon. Everyone’s hoping a new clue or two will turn up, plus it’s been forever and a day since we saw him.
    Well, it's the same for me. On a related note, I'm throwing out a prediction here now that the mysterious voices are MiTD's relatives. O-chul's main significance to the plot is his friendship with MiTD, so it makes sense he will be put in a position where that arc can be forwarded. Plus it makes sense for monsters to be living in a den of monsters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul
    I will take your word for it that you've previously explained the way Ha-Nagas acquire spells, however, I don't remember reading this anywhere before.
    I think this was the first time I explained it. To you, in fact.

(as distinct from spell-like abilities, and admittedly this is a fine line- but as someone already asked, why would he have to tip his cart to reach a bucket if he could just use Mage Hand?).
    I'm going to begin by first pointing out (again) that a bucket of stew weighs more than five pounds and as such by the actual D&D rules he couldn't lift that bucket with mage hand. But ultimately I think the tipping was just a visual indicator that he was reaching for it, since extending a claw, tentacle, tail or magical aura would be giving too much away.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c
    Or, in other words, as was said back then, Ha-Naga can cast raise undead, or can do so within a single level up if they re-spec. RC's barb about needing 5 level ups to obtain the necessary cleric levels doesn't fit if he was insulting a Ha-Naga. Or, as per it's entry in the OP, "Can raise undead (or could by retraining upon level up), which MitD cannot "without gaining 5 levels of cleric"."
    Again, only if you assume Redcloak's knowledge is perfect, or if he was being serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002
    Eh... Reddit's not good for ongoing discussion and facebook is facebook.

If you're trying to do a separator,
    Code:
    pulls its weight.
    Thanks. I edited my post and I'll endeavor to remember it for future use.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Again, only if you assume Redcloak's knowledge is perfect, or if he was being serious.
    Do you have some reason to believe that Redcloak would lie or joke about something like that? He certainly hasnt shied away from calling out the MITD on being unhelpful when it had the capacity to be in the past.

And Redcloak has been shown to A: know what the MITD is and B: be fairly well educated (somehow), so absent some specific indication that he is mistaken, im going to take him at his word.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    fairly well educated (somehow)
    I'm not sure where he got his chemistry knowledge, but it's not hard to be an expert in monsters when you have access to the monster manuals.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Do you have some reason to believe that Redcloak would lie or joke about something like that? He certainly hasnt shied away from calling out the MITD on being unhelpful when it had the capacity to be in the past.

And Redcloak has been shown to A: know what the MITD is and B: be fairly well educated (somehow), so absent some specific indication that he is mistaken, im going to take him at his word.
    I agree, Redcloak is aware of what the MitD is and presumably has done enough research to understand what it can do for all intents and purposes that we would discuss here.
    Besides, if Redcloak isn't telling the turth (or at least isn't being accurate), then who's to say that Oona is? Or anyone in the comic?
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm not sure where he got his chemistry knowledge, but it's not hard to be an expert in monsters when you have access to the monster manuals.

Grey Wolf
    Yeah, i was more speculating on where he got access to all these manuals. I somehow doubt that Xykon was going out and getting all these things for him, given Xykon's attitude, and the fact that he cant really just go to the bookstore and buy them is kind of part of his central motivation.

Im willing to call him an authority figure, because he does indeed have the manuals, but its one of those things that i wonder about occasionally.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”