New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld thread IV: In memory of King Saline

New one is up: Parson's lecture on grand strategy.

Also, from Rob's blog post:

Monday's comic may post on Tuesday, but there will still be 2 updates next week.

Also, we're at a point in the story where multiple turns need to pass, and characters need to have long conversations. So we'll be doing texts with half-page splashes for a while (probably for the next month or so).

When things start to be more action-y and tense again, it will go back to comic pages. I'm committed to writing the story the best way I can, and this is what the story needs to be right now. (One upside of this will be building back a buffer of pages that will help keep us on schedule for the rest of the book.) You can think of these pages as an intermission after Act I.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

How is it that Stanley can be the character with the single largest bit of character growth (not counting Parson) yet still also be the little worm he's always been? It's really impressive.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Now that's how a "Perfect Warlord" should act. I won't say 'about time', coz that's exceedingly unfair. But it is light years away from where Parson was at the start of Book II.

Love the way he handled Stanley at the end, as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do wonder about the Wanda-Ansom-FAQ/Jetstone stuff. That's actually pretty intriguing. Should be plenty of ore to mine later though, so I'm content on it being on the back burner for now.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    How is it that Stanley can be the character with the single largest bit of character growth (not counting Parson) yet still also be the little worm he's always been? It's really impressive.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I guess he is a pragmatic guy. Royals think the same, but use fancier words (see Haggard or Don's first heir). But since he wasn't popped a noble he won't be accepted as equal anyway, so why bother?
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

5. - Top - End - #455
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Now that's how a "Perfect Warlord" should act. I won't say 'about time', coz that's exceedingly unfair. But it is light years away from where Parson was at the start of Book II.

Love the way he handled Stanley at the end, as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do wonder about the Wanda-Ansom-FAQ/Jetstone stuff. That's actually pretty intriguing. Should be plenty of ore to mine later though, so I'm content on it being on the back burner for now.
    To be fair, Book 2 started with him in moral backlash-induced retirement, and Maggie pretty much had to kick him a few times to get him to work again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Faq could be on its way out though; Caesar wants to conquer it to keep it from being a drain on resources, and Translyvito could listen to Parson if Caesar wins. Jetstone is definitely a soft target, given Tramennis' inner monologue when poring over the Jetstone history book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

6. - Top - End - #456

And Stanley is still The Tool.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember, he's not petty because he's short, he's short because he's petty...
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Transylvito is definitely going to be a prime target for the new strategy. Don's position is very weak, and Caesar might be willing to talk business with Parson. Recent events are bound to have soured him to the idea of royalty even more.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Definitely interested in the turn to diplomacy. Especially if it gets us to start seeing sides outside of the established players; things have been getting a bit stale. Also getting Decrypted Ansom to reunite with Vinne would be awesome. Tramannis and Jilliian have written him off, but his vampire best friend might see things very differently.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Definitely interested in the turn to diplomacy. Especially if it gets us to start seeing sides outside of the established players; things have been getting a bit stale. Also getting Decrypted Ansom to reunite with Vinne would be awesome. Tramannis and Jilliian have written him off, but his vampire best friend might see things very differently.
    I suspect that part of this is that Tramannis and Jillian didn't really know him that well. But Vinne knows that the stick up his ass always had a stick up its ass, so I don't think he'll be as surprised to see how he is now.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    I see two major possibilities: GK allies with Transylvito after Caesar's coup, or GK allies with everyone EXCEPT Transylvito.

Hear me out.

GK + Transylvito: Faq is a huge enemy for GK right now, if only because of how dedicated Jillian is to fighting Stanley. Wiping her out is a good idea for Parson and Stanley, and Caesar wants Faq wiped out. Don would never approve, but if Caesar's coup is successful he'd make a strong ally for GK. In addition, from the wording of the contract I THINK GK can support Transylvito's efforts to destroy Faq by proxy - provide Schmuckers, that sorta thing.

GK allies with everyone:

From a narrative standpoint, I'd rather gain new villains than allies we've never even heard of. From a practical one... Traemennis wanted to ally with GK before the battle of Spacerock, and while his Dad's death probably put a damper on that plan, he's puts the blame on Charlie more than GK. We saw that in the between-book updates.

Jillian has said openly that she hates Stanley and can never abide him, so at first the idea of her allying with him seems insane. Except that Transylvito is about to try and wipe her off the map, so she's going to be pretty desperate in a few turns. And Ansom and Wanda are both part of GK, so there's a temptation at least. I can definitely see Faq and Caesar both trying to get GK on their side before the truce contract expires, I'm just not sure who they'd side with.

Now, Don would definitely still be an enemy of GK, and this whole idea centers around Caesar's coup failing. It would leave Transylvito alone against Faq (which needs to destroy them to survive), Jetstone (which T just abandoned, albeit against the ruler's wishes) and anyone else Parson manages to get on his side.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Caesar's coup,
    This is Erfworld. A coup isn't possible, if the king dies without an heir, the side ends, all the units vanish.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    This is Erfworld. A coup isn't possible, if the king dies without an heir, the side ends, all the units vanish.
    I have vague recollection of an update somewhere mentioning sides splintering off, but I can't recall if the splinter rulers can do it themselves or if it's just a Ruler splits his side to combat upkeep costs thing.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Isn't Caesar the Heir?

15. - Top - End - #465
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Looking at the thread title, isn't murdering King Saline how Stanley became Overlord?
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Looking at the thread title, isn't murdering King Saline how Stanley became Overlord?
    Stanley, despite being non-royal was heir when Saline died, I don't remember exactly how Saline died, I'm not sure we've been told. IIRC, Caesar is not Don's heir, I'm not sure Don has one.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

Stanley, despite being non-royal was heir when Saline died, I don't remember exactly how Saline died, I'm not sure we've been told. IIRC, Caesar is not Don's heir, I'm not sure Don has one.
    We don't know yet. What precisely happened when Saline was overthrown and when FAQ fell have not been entirely explained. Caesar is still the heir until the new royal pops. He was chosen after both of Don's children died. We've heard about Don's son making a play for the throne. The difficultly was how one could rebel since Rulers can kill their subjects with a thought. My guess would be, like prisoners, units that participate gain a circumstantial special. A rebel unit therefor can't be disbanded.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Caesar is Don's heir by designation (summer updates) and we have already established that Caesar is going behind Don's back to annex Faq.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2014-11-23 at 11:50 AM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

19. - Top - End - #469

We also know that Warlords can override their Ruler if they feel the side is at stake. cf Book 0 and the Crush and the So-Be-It Union arc.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    We don't know the whole story behind Saline's death. All we know is that he headed out with all the casters and a large force and the Gobwins and HobGobwins rebeled and killed Saline. Stanley came back and put down te rebelion in a very bloody fashion. We don't know if Stanley planned it, Charlie had something to do with it or it was something else. Oddly, I don't think Stanley planned it. IIRC he still speaks with effection for King Saline.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

21. - Top - End - #471

After this latest update, with Stanley making the "backstabbing is my style" comment, I find myself a lot more willing to believe that he was behind this, or, at least, influenced by Wanda to do it. She might have arranged it herself as well, thinking it was Stanly's fate to rule the side so she better hurry it along.

I am less likely to think it was Charlie because it's been shown that, upon decryption, units break all existing contracts. Therefore, it's likely that some of the other gobwins and hobs would have mentioned this already.

It also allows a narrative conflict. Vurp was the very last living allied unit of GK that knows the truth. He now works for Charlie. Charlie gets the info from Vurp and then uses it to break up the alliances Parson is trying to create. No one would trust someone that was proven to be a backstabber of that level.

I think that would work as a good plot point. I'm sure Vurp is going to be important, sooner or later.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2014-11-24 at 06:40 AM.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I see two major possibilities: GK allies with Transylvito after Caesar's coup, or GK allies with everyone EXCEPT Transylvito.
    I'd bet my money smuckers on the first one.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After this latest update, with Stanley making the "backstabbing is my style" comment, I find myself a lot more willing to believe that he was behind this, or, at least, influenced by Wanda to do it. She might have arranged it herself as well, thinking it was Stanly's fate to rule the side so she better hurry it along.

I am less likely to think it was Charlie because it's been shown that, upon decryption, units break all existing contracts. Therefore, it's likely that some of the other gobwins and hobs would have mentioned this already.

It also allows a narrative conflict. Vurp was the very last living allied unit of GK that knows the truth. He now works for Charlie. Charlie gets the info from Vurp and then uses it to break up the alliances Parson is trying to create. No one would trust someone that was proven to be a backstabber of that level.

I think that would work as a good plot point. I'm sure Vurp is going to be important, sooner or later.
    Did Wanda know about Stanley before he became overlord? The timing's a little weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Did Wanda know about Stanley before he became overlord? The timing's a little weird.
    She heard about him after he got the Arkenhammer, but was still a Warlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

Caesar is the current heir, but Don is popping a new royal heir. That was on turn 54 after BoGK, the battle for Spacerock started on turn 72, the battle with Jillian was I think 4 turns later, and now the truce is for 30 days. So the truce ends on day 105 after BfGK, and the heir will be pooped on day 115 if a heir takes 60 turns to pop one.

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post

I doubt this would be a big reveal. The other sides already consider Stanley a usurper. Ansom says already in book 1 he became "overlord by regicide". Vinnie's comment "Well, kinda" implies that regicide by proxy isn't the only way to do this, or otherwise he wouldn't point out it's not exactly the definition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Caesar is the current heir, but Don is popping a new royal heir. That was on turn 54 after BoGK, the battle for Spacerock started on turn 72, the battle with Jillian was I think 4 turns later, and now the truce is for 30 days. So the truce ends on day 105 after BfGK, and the heir will be pooped on day 115 if a heir takes 60 turns to pop one.
    It's possible that after all the losses and setbacks Transylvito has suffered, they may not have enough Schmuckers to pop an heir anymore.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Troll in the Playground

Do we know if popping an heir takes money? I know designating one does, but given the massive turn cost of manually popping on, adding cash to the equation seems excessive.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

28. - Top - End - #478

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    I doubt this would be a big reveal. The other sides already consider Stanley a usurper. Ansom says already in book 1 he became "overlord by regicide". Vinnie's comment "Well, kinda" implies that regicide by proxy isn't the only way to do this, or otherwise he wouldn't point out it's not exactly the definition.
    The hobs and gobwins committed the regicide. Stanley was simply the one that benefited when he made them become allied again. There is still plausible deniability that Stan was the cause of the whole thing though. Even Sizemore didn't outright state that he believed that Stanley was the cause of Saline's death. Having it confirmed will almost certainly cause ripple effects, or else why have this set up to begin with?

It might not be other nations either. Maybe Charlie messages Sizemore and this bit of info becomes the last straw and causes him to defect. He really hates his kingdom right now, so I could see him being pushed into turning traitor.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2014-11-24 at 07:00 PM.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Do we know if popping an heir takes money? I know designating one does, but given the massive turn cost of manually popping on, adding cash to the equation seems excessive.
    The Erf wiki notes that you can either spend a lot of turns and pop a heir or spend a lot of shmuckers and designate one - which fits Jetstone being able to work on popping a new heir but unable to pay for designating Tramennis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Update time:

Spoiler
    Show
    Well.

Well, well, well.

What started out fairly mundane, though funny, turns out to be VERY interesting.

Who would have seen THAT possibity coming?
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-11-25 at 01:40 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb