New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XVI: There's a Pony for That!

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Image Dump: The Night Before Monday Edition.

Spoiler
    Show

Pinkie Pie's the Pink Ranger and Fluttershy's the Yellow Ranger? Jeez, that show's so racistcoatist(?).
    *Wonders if it's even possible to discriminate against ponies based on the colour of their coats and if so what that would qualify as*

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Troll in the Playground

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/07/7-days.html#more The end is neigh. The pink one is upon us.

YAY!

At SiuiS, re Trixie's magic: Rewatched her performance. At least some of the fireworks are launched from tubes, not created by magic. However, the fact that she has a hat keeps us from seeing when she uses her magic and when it's mundane (i.e. can't see her horn glowing). Which is probably why she wears it; maintains mystery. So I think she probably does a mix of illusion magic and practical effects
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-07-25 at 01:00 AM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Firbolg in the Playground

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/07/7-days.html#more The end is neigh. The pink one is upon us.

YAY!
    10 bits says you can't guess which anon comment is mine on that one :P
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ogre in the Playground

YAY!

At SiuiS, re Trixie's magic: Rewatched her performance. At least some of the fireworks are launched from tubes, not created by magic. However, the fact that she has a hat keeps us from seeing when she uses her magic and when it's mundane (i.e. can't see her horn glowing). Which is probably why she wears it; maintains mystery. So I think she probably does a mix of illusion magic and practical effects
    Considering nopony else is with her for the entire episode she's probably still using her magic to shoot off the fireworks. She keeps her hat on until she's ready to show people that she's performing magic.

Trixie really isn't that great of a magic user, she's just good at putting on a show. Though I still say that if she spent some time on it she could probably become a pretty good illusionist. That still falls within the bounds of her talent, so she should be able to learn a few good illusions.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

WHAT?

Spoiler
    Show

Ugh. Really, Ponyard?! Really?!
    You're lucky these clothes are comfy and that I comport myself like a lady.

I dunno. Logically it works, but it feels like something I'd groan at. If you do it (and I like the idea) then drag it out. Don't make it obvious, don't make it the bg reveal, and don't make it the "we spend the rest of the season finding the secret power for everyone else" kinda thing either.

So really, it's a "requires very good execution" thing to pull off well.
    SiuiS you make me happy. just saying

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry Capt---SiuiS. This is an airship, getting off a shot on something so tiny from such a big gun was NOT going to happen! But now that you're on board, im sure i can find ya something to get you back to normal... or at least blowup the lamp. as for these other..errr ladies, Midnight is sure to give chase. and i have a special surprise for her...hopefully. if she doesnt show up before its finished. AIRSHIP! AWAY! *the airship departs with the magic lamps in its cargo bay and Ponyard and SiuiS on the deck.*

The way i wanted to have it done (and the ships i had were just examples) we as they were in the final battle, the loved ones refused to back away from the mane 6, and while the mane 6 began to channel the elements, the magic also drew from the partners willing to defend their loved ones.
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Okay, Djinni sufferers. I have good news and bad news.
    If the bad news is "I'm not fixing you" the good news had better be either "I have a friend who can fix this" or "falling from an exploding airship won't hurt too bad"
    well horsefeathers. The one time I can RP a good annoyed anger fit, I'm taking it out on the wrong pony.

Alright, I'll bite. What's your bad news Leo? That's really what's important, te good news can wait.

YAY!

After some thought, my answer boils down to this.

In Equestria, one of two things is absent. Either explosives, or human nature. If I relent on there bein mundane fireworks, then I can't apply basic human nature to Equestria, which leaves me unable to grasp the characters. If on the other hand, there are no explosives in Equestria, and Trixie uses her already-demonstrated power to start molecular/chemical reactions (smoke bomb, lightning bolt, etc.) on pre packaged "fireworks", then nobody explodes AND I can enjoy the world.

So you might be right, but LALALA I. CANT HEAR YOU OH WHAT'S THIS EARPHONES WIH SOME HEAVY METAL SWEET I LOVE THE SWORD!
    *head bangs for a bit*
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-07-25 at 01:34 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Troll in the Playground

That's a rather... interesting flavor of denial you have there.

Of course, I'll point out that it took CENTURIES for the Chinese to go from fireworks to anything like a weapon.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

In Equestria, one of two things is absent. Either explosives, or human nature. If I relent on there bein mundane fireworks, then I can't apply basic human nature to Equestria, which leaves me unable to grasp the characters. If on the other hand, there are no explosives in Equestria, and Trixie uses her already-demonstrated power to start molecular/chemical reactions (smoke bomb, lightning bolt, etc.) on pre packaged "fireworks", then nobody explodes AND I can enjoy the world.
    Two words: Ham Sandwich.

Also, it is entirely possible she is just telekinetically pushing metallic powder or any other sparkly substance from the tubes. She does use them several times, which I'd assume isn't something you expect from fireworks. That, and tinfoil confetti would be very sparkly and wouldn't need much colored light-magic to produce an impressive display. Just assume the tubes are compressed airguns full of that stuff.
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Troll in the Playground

If the bad news is "I'm not fixing you" the good news had better be either "I have a friend who can fix this" or "falling from an exploding airship won't hurt too bad"
    The good news is, Leo can fix it. The bad news is... You have to take a hit from his Daiklaive...

It's a good thing Leo favored occult to get Makin' Bacon Prana.
    Last edited by Kris Strife; 2011-07-25 at 01:28 AM.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFKrn...el_video_title

She wrote some lines for Derpy and Dinky and voiced them, along with the mane six. It's adorable.
    Last edited by RdMarquis; 2011-07-25 at 01:45 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFKrn...el_video_title

She wrote some lines for Derpy and Dinky and voiced them, along with the mane six. It's adorable.
    She's a really good VA. I picture Derpy talking a bit deeper than that, but if she wound up with that voice, I would not complain.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Banned

That's a rather... interesting flavor of denial you have there.

Of course, I'll point out that it took CENTURIES for the Chinese to go from fireworks to anything like a weapon.
    Would these happen to be the same centuries where they had kooky Taoist wizards, and their science made it entirely possible that the difference between exploding and not exploding while making a batch of powder was "angry fire spirits"?

Sciences, especially involving chemicals, didn't really take off ANYWHERE until people dropped the whole "never teach your student everything you know" schtick. So many different compounds, in a house lit by candle or oil lamp, strewn on a table... A stray ember, a misplaced sneeze, a draft, and POOF! no more Master Chemist.

Alas! At least the Chinese had scientists of a sort at that point. My ancestors still believed you catch a cold by being cold up until... Well, some o them still do.

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Two words: Ham Sandwich.
    Huh?

Also, it is entirely possible she is just telekinetically pushing metallic powder or any other sparkly substance from the tubes. She does use them several times, which I'd assume isn't something you expect from fireworks. That, and tinfoil confetti would be very sparkly and wouldn't need much colored light-magic to produce an impressive display. Just assume the tubes are compressed airguns full of that stuff.
    That's kind of where I was going. Maybe she tosses and burns compounds for colored effect? I know copper burns green, and it isn't too hard to figure out. Can remember red or purple though.

The good news is, Leo can fix it. The bad news is... You have to take a hit from his Daiklaive...

It's a good thing Leo favored occult to get Makin' Bacon Prana.
    Hm. It isn't iron, is it? And efreeti probably have some latent protection. Maybe ...

Wait, the lamp is the focus, why are you gonna hit me?

-

Fun fact: 2 of my sketches from GitP show up on page 3 of google images when searching Daiklaive.
    and the best example of a daiklaive that isn't standard anime sword is a woman holding a 5' long cake knife. It's a Demotivator
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-07-25 at 02:09 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Troll in the Playground

Hm. It isn't iron, is it? And efreeti probably have some latent protection. Maybe ...

Wait, the lamp is the focus, why are you gonna hit me?

-

Fun fact: 2 of my sketches from GitP show up on page 3 of google images when searching Daiklaive.
    and the best example of a daiklaive that isn't standard anime sword is a woman holding a 5' long cake knife. It's a Demotivator
    It's a orichalcum blade, about the size of Leo.

And because I have to hit the target. Basically, you get hit so hard it knocks the spell off you.

Keep in mind, this is a setting where ninja secretaries can punch people so that they retroactively turn into ducks.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

14. - Top - End - #1454

How is leo going to get on Ponyard's ship? now that he has SiuiS and the rest of the lamps, AND a secret surprise. and is currently in the air flying away?
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Troll in the Playground

Alls I'll say is that I read a book about gunpowder and its history; at that stage, they thought that the stuff in mercury that would make you immortal would be counteracted with oak. Also, a mixture like gunpowder was described (saltpeter, charcoal, sulfur) in a sixth century guide and it said something to the effect of "watch out, this stuff is flammable."

Still, I try not to be too rough on peoples in the past.

Also, I suppose I can understand not wanting the prospect of gundpowder weapons in ponyland. Opens too many cans of worms.

I still maintain that Trixie's main skill is stage magic (i.e. sleight of hoof, tricks, minor explosives, etc). She probably wears the hat so it isn't obvious that she uses her horn to activate her little mechanical devices.

Not that she can't do magic. I just think that anyone who thinks she's rivaling Twilight for raw power is barking up the wrong tree.

Unrelated thing: I notice that her cutie mark is a wand... and we've never seen ANYPONY use a wand to do magic. Th

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    How is leo going to get on Ponyard's ship? now that he has SiuiS and the rest of the lamps, AND a secret surprise. and is currently in the air flying away?
    I have a cunning plan, it involves a paper clip, a photo of Dennis Rodman, a Kiddie pool full of baby oil, Iron Raptor Technique and a jump check.
    Last edited by Kris Strife; 2011-07-25 at 02:19 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Troll in the Playground

I have a cunning plan, it involves a paper clip, a photo of Dennis Rodman, a Kiddie pool full of baby oil, Soaring Raptor Technique and a jump check.
    "Um, will this photo of Ru Paul work?"

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Troll in the Playground

"Um, will this photo of Ru Paul work?"
    Actually, I just need the last two, I just wanted to see if the others existed in Equestria.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, I just need the last two, I just wanted to see if the others existed in Equestria.
    Roll your jump check! You get a -5 situational penalty because Owlowicious failed his dex check and dumped the baby oil on you!

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Troll in the Playground

Roll your jump check! You get a -5 situational penalty because Owlowicious failed his dex check and dumped the baby oil on you!
    Nah, I blocked the oil.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Troll in the Playground

Nah, I blocked the oil.
    (adjusts DM's hat) It's a -6 now, smart guy.

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Troll in the Playground

(adjusts DM's hat) It's a -6 now, smart guy.
    You haven't run Exalted before, have you? Leo has Heavenly Guardian Defense. It's called a perfect defense for a reason.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1463

Ponyard: Oh... Well this can't be good.

EDIT: WOAH WHEN DID 49 PAGES HAPPEN?!
    Last edited by Rebelhero; 2011-07-25 at 02:44 AM.
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Troll in the Playground

You haven't run Exalted before, have you? Leo has Heavenly Guardian Defense. It's called a perfect defense for a reason.
    DM's word is law. Roll it.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Troll in the Playground

DM's word is law. Roll it.
    You do know you'd be breaking the setting completely right? Solar charms let them block the unblockable, dodge the undodgeable, touch the untouchable... Obligatory Link

Nothing tops a perfect defense, not even a perfect attack.

Also, Exalted is Dice Pool based, not d20.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Troll in the Playground

You do know you'd be breaking the setting completely right? Solar charms let them block the unblockable, dodge the undodgeable, touch the untouchable... Obligatory Link

Nothing tops a perfect defense, not even a perfect attack.

Also, Exalted is Dice Pool based, not d20.
    I'm a D20 guy... and any system where you compare the rules to Gurran Laggan makes me cry, due to the potential for game breakage. Sounds too much like my experiences with BESM D20 (WORST. RPG. EVER.). But fine. Trixie had to leave, so the joke doesn't need to push the page count higher anymore.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-07-25 at 02:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Troll in the Playground

I'm a D20 guy... and any system where you compare the rules to Gurran Laggan makes me cry, due to the potential for game breakage. Sounds too much like my experiences with BESM D20 (WORST. RPG. EVER.). But fine. Trixie had to leave, so the joke doesn't need to push the page count higher anymore.
    It's a game with no resurrection, no redos. It's a fantasy where starting characters can beat up local gods and turn them into material to make an awesome sword.

I did write up a big thing on it, but eh, you probably wouldn't want to read it. Instead, read This comic to give you a taste of the insanity that is Exalted.

It really is a game where the right group makes all the difference though.

Edit: The Game is broken, but that's more because they have 5 different people working on one thing and none of them know about the other 4.

Perfect defenses are actually rather balanced in game.
    Last edited by Kris Strife; 2011-07-25 at 02:56 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Troll in the Playground

It's a game with no resurrection, no redos. It's a fantasy where starting characters can beat up local gods and turn them into material to make an awesome sword.
    No... NO! THE MEMORIES! THE UNHOLY FUSION OF MONKEY D. LUFFY, THE DOCTOR AND HARRY DRESDEN! WITH THE SONIC SCREWDRIVER AND THE RIDICULOUS BONUSES AND SKILLS IN EVERYTHING AND HE BOUGHT IT ALL WITH DEFECTS THAT WOULD NEVER COME UP AND HE HELPED RUIN MY CAMPAIGN WHY WHY WOULD YOU REMIND ME OF THAT AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Troll in the Playground

No... NO! THE MEMORIES! THE UNHOLY FUSION OF MONKEY D. LUFFY, THE DOCTOR AND HARRY DRESDEN! WITH THE SONIC SCREWDRIVER AND THE RIDICULOUS BONUSES AND SKILLS IN EVERYTHING AND HE BOUGHT IT ALL WITH DEFECTS THAT WOULD NEVER COME UP AND HE HELPED RUIN MY CAMPAIGN WHY WHY WOULD YOU REMIND ME OF THAT AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
    Because I had no idea?

Also, it's a lot harder to do that in Exalted. Honestly, that's needed because a dirt farmer with a big enough stick can one shot a high powered solar if the solar doesn't perfect it.

That's the same as a level 1 commoner being able to one shot a level 38219 crusader in 3.5.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Troll in the Playground

Because I had no idea?

Also, it's a lot harder to do that in Exalted. Honestly, that's needed because a dirt farmer with a big enough stick can one shot a high powered solar if the solar doesn't perfect it.

That's the same as a level 1 commoner being able to one shot a level 38219 crusader in 3.5.
    Obviously I was having a fake breakdown for purposes of funny. That's why.