New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Maxing out Bardic Knack (through Bardic Knowledge Tricks)

As written on the tin. I am building a bard for an up coming game, and am going to mainly be filling the "jack of all trades" position. To do this, I'm taking Bardic Knack instead of Bardic Knowledge. I've heard that there are Bard prestige classes that happen to stack together to increase your Bardic Knowledge, sending it through the roof. What are they, and how does it work (is it like the caster level trick with the Spellthief?)?
    Incarnum: VoP's best (and possibly only) friend.
    Spoiler: Quotes and Fun Links
    Show
    Spoiler: Quotes:
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

Formerly Lestroisrois. Shorten my new name however you wish; I've seen plenty.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Maxing out Bardic Knack (through Bardic Knowledge Tricks)

To maximize your bardic knack, you have to get more classes that explicitely count as bard levels (which only the bard really counts). Any other class or prestige class level is useless to your bardic knack, even if they grant additional caster levels and spell per day or would grant you some lore or bardic knowledge ability, or somehow gave you the ability to cast wish as a spell-like ability at-will.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

You've traded Bardic Knowledge away -- they are ultimately equivalent. Anything that stacks with Bardic Knowledge will increase Bardic Knack, you just trade bardic knowledge for bardic knack away on each class that grants it.

That said, Bard 20 is the most versatile a build that exists anywhere in the game. Seriously. Just use the savage bard variant and a big pile of ACFs and bardic feats...
    Last edited by Talya; 2012-12-01 at 08:59 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    You've traded Bardic Knowledge away -- they are ultimately equivalent. Anything that stacks with Bardic Knowledge will increase Bardic Knack, you just trade bardic knowledge for bardic knack away on each class that grants it.

That said, Bard 20 is the most versatile a build that exists anywhere in the game. Seriously. Just use the savage bard variant and a big pile of ACFs and bardic feats...
    The only problem with doing Bard 20 for this is that I'm trying to get past the fact that Bardic Knack only counts half of your bard level, so I thought that by taking Bardic Knowledge prestige classes, I could get around that. Also, I'm planning on using Sublime Chord to get 9th level spells, and it mentioned that it advanced Bardic Knowledge (and, by ACF extension, Bardic Knack). So I was wondering about "Bard" prestige classes; the ones that specifically state they increase "Bard" abilities like Bardic Knowledge and Music...
    Show
    Show
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Improvisation and Inspire Competence supplement Bardic Knack well enough for it to be relevant without any cheese, IMHO.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You could use the Uncanny Trickster and Legacy Champion trick. Uncanny Trickster progressing Bard, then Legacy Champion progressing Uncanny Trickster progressing Bard (so 2 bard levels), then Uncanny Trickster progressing Legacy Champion progressing Uncanny Trickster progressing Bard. Continue until your DM succeeds in knocking you unconscious with his books.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Improvisation and Inspire Competence supplement Bardic Knack well enough for it to be relevant without any cheese, IMHO.
    You can't Inspire Competence on yourself, though. Toss Heroism into the mix for +2 morale.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post

Bard 8/Virtouoso 2/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso 8 wants to have a word with you. All bard, with wizard casting
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

You could use the Uncanny Trickster and Legacy Champion trick. Uncanny Trickster progressing Bard, then Legacy Champion progressing Uncanny Trickster progressing Bard (so 2 bard levels), then Uncanny Trickster progressing Legacy Champion progressing Uncanny Trickster progressing Bard. Continue until your DM succeeds in knocking you unconscious with his books.
    Alternatively, use Legacy champion to progress Uncanny Trickster which you use to progress Legacy champion to progress Uncanny Trickster, ad infinitum. Your DM will kill you with his books.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Paragnostic Apostle advances Bardic Knowledge by two levels for each level you take. RAW, taking a single level might be enough to double your Bardic Knowledge, but I doubt the DM will let that fly.

11. - Top - End - #11

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Well, that will come in handy...
    How long has that trick been common knowledge? I'm guessing I wasn't the first to cause its discovery after all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    Bard 8/Virtouoso 2/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso 8 wants to have a word with you. All bard, with wizard casting
    Virtuoso?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Paragnostic Apostle advances Bardic Knowledge by two levels for each level you take. RAW, taking a single level might be enough to double your Bardic Knowledge, but I doubt the DM will let that fly.
    That sounds great! Where can I find it?

Also, since it sounds like any Bard prestige class can make it work, what are the best Bard prestige classes (grant new/good abilities and boosts Bard abilities like Music, Knowledge/Knack, etc.) out there?
    Show
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lestroisrois View Post
    Well, that will come in handy...

How long has that trick been common knowledge? I'm guessing I wasn't the first to cause its discovery after all?

Virtuoso?

That sounds great! Where can I find it?

Also, since it sounds like any Bard prestige class can make it work, what are the best Bard prestige classes (grant new/good abilities and boosts Bard abilities like Music, Knowledge/Knack, etc.) out there?

13. - Top - End - #13

Chimera

Would you mind if I sig that?
    Show
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lestroisrois View Post
    Would you mind if I sig that?
    Not at all! More quotes by me to fill the board!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Paragnostic Apostle is in Complete Champion.