New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Default Mass effect 3: We fight and we Whine. That's the plan

Old thread.

So we came from Ashley's outfit, Vega looking stupid, and me not quite getting why Ashley was selected as a SPECTRE.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mass effect 3: We fight and we Whine. That's the plan

I have some objections to the thread title, namely, do we REALLY want to say that we whine here? Does that not make us look immature?
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Neh, maturity is overrated

Also, since theres no Mass Effect 2 thread thats active, I guess this one serves as that too right?

Sooo..... I've been playing mass effect 2 for the first time and just finished Horizon. I'm starting ti get loyalty missions, but I have not done all lød the recruitment missions yet. Should I grab all the people first, or do all the loyalty missions available first? Or is it all the same?
    Avatar by Smuchmuch, drawn during the DYF-event. Thanks!

I take avatar requests, just PM me. (If your willing to wait a day or two. Or five.)

My Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

My avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by Oblivion during the DYF-Event, Thanks!

Alternative version of my avatar by me

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C-Lam View Post

Also, since theres no Mass Effect 2 thread thats active, I guess this one serves as that too right?

Sooo..... I've been playing mass effect 2 for the first time and just finished Horizon. I'm starting ti get loyalty missions, but I have not done all lød the recruitment missions yet. Should I grab all the people first, or do all the loyalty missions available first? Or is it all the same?
    Doesn't matter.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

There will come a mainquest mission (reaper IFF) that will give you a choice when to complete it. Don't do it until you have everyone's loyalty (that you can/want depending on circumstance) Other than that order is irrelevent.
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2011-07-06 at 12:34 PM.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

It really doesn't matter. It all depends on who you want with you on any given mission. Personally, I always get Tali first, then do side missions until the next story mission, then work on whatever.

On the subject of Ashley's appearance:

I don't have a problem with the new outfit, I think it looks pretty good. And I'm glad that she'll be keeping her armor for combat, and I hope that's an indication that other characters will also be getting combat/ noncombat outfits too. I don't really like the new hairstyle, it makes her look too much like Miranda. I actually really liked the pulled back look she sported before, because she made it look good.

On a more general note, I ordinarily don't get collector's/ special editions of games because more often than not the extras don't interest me for the cost. Me3, on the other hand, is seriously making me consider getting the collectors edition for the extra weapons and outfits.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

So, uh, why'd you make the thread title something no one wanted? And Why did you Capitalize and punctuate It like This
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I have some objections to the thread title, namely, do we REALLY want to say that we whine here? Does that not make us look immature?
    The day these Mass Effect threads stop looping back to the "I don't like the ammo system" I think that calling the threadgoers mature is a bit of a stretch.

As for the Ashley debate she is perfect for spectre status. She has the celebrity and clout from her time working with Shepard, outstanding fitness reports and she is trusted with highly sensitive missions where she will largely be on her own if things go ploin shaped.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Cross-posted from Old Thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    I agree with this.

I'd also be a fan of "We're two threads in and the game hasn't even been released yet."

Opperhapsen: You forget that Ash also has an exemplary service record, and only ends up blacklisted because of Shanxi.
    She volunteers for the dangerous work without hesitation on Virmire - and insists that you save Kaiden when the choice comes, which indicates a strong conviction to get the job done.
    After Shepard's death, she continues to serve - and do so extremely well, to the point where she become's the Allaince's go-to girl with major problems - which brought her to Horizon and the confrontation there.
    And she refuses to abandon her mission and go with Shepard. (That one seems important to me, in case you couldn't tell)

She's an excellent SPECTRE candidate, as is Garrus.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree, Ashley makes a fine Spectre. To comment on that pic... first, if we can kill off characters, Vega is first to go. Seriously, BioWare? Not only is he apparently very stereotyped, he looks plain ugly. No thank you. Also, Liara likes to cosplay as Samara. Good to know.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Yup.

Unless Vega is voiced by Thomas Wilson, he's a dead man walking.

So, been reading all the spoilers I can get my grubby mitts on, and I gotta say, it's fun having a good guess at some of the lines that will be incredibly funny for a few weeks, then tremendously overused forever.

It's predicting the future, like Plumtree!
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athaniar View Post
    I agree, Ashley makes a fine Spectre. To comment on that pic... first, if we can kill off characters, Vega is first to go. Seriously, BioWare? Not only is he apparently very stereotyped, he looks plain ugly. No thank you.
    We need more ugly people on the good guy side in video games. And no, aliens like Grunt and Mordin do not count, as they have their own unique handsomeness to them, Wrex has fangirls of his own if DeviantArt is to be believed, and Garrus and Tali are romantic interests now, forever cementing turians and quarians as "sexy-looking."

As a character from Jade Empire once said, "Ugly people need love too!"
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah but it looks like they were going for something rugged and manly and ended up with something thuggish and dull. Theres ugly and then theres uncanny valley.

Also, whats up with Kaidan's hair? Not sure I approve.

As for Liara, as long as there's still a blue outfit to put her in I couldn't care less about the red one.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Before ME2 came out Jack struck me as the stupidest thing ever. I ended up not minding her. I'm sure Vega will be much the same.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Wait, we Fight and we Whine?
    Well.. We could fight like a Krogan, Run like a Leopard... buuuut

Not too peeved about Kaidan's new look. Mostly because my shepard is male and I won't see him.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    Wait, we Fight and we Whine?
    Well.. We could fight like a Krogan, Run like a Leopard... buuuut

Not too peeved about Kaidan's new look. Mostly because my shepard is male and I won't see him.
    My Shepard isn't, and she won't see him either.

Ah, Virmire. Lot of pleasant memories.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

People are really commenting on the desire to kill off Vega without knowing a thing beyond his appearance? Seems harsh.

As for Ash costume. I'm a fan of practicality. Part of what I liked about the first ME game was that we had Ash as the armored soldier who also happened to be a chick and not ohh look at the chick, oh also she's a soldier. If that makes sense to anyone. Really so long as she gets some armored outfit I'm fine, not like they're forcing her into a Jack suit with no other options.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    People are really commenting on the desire to kill off Vega without knowing a thing beyond his appearance? Seems harsh.
    Well, we know at least one other thing about him.

He's the FNG*.

He has all the questions about SOP and suchlike.

"What the heck are those space squids attacking us?"

"So, wait, wait. How do Spectres operate again?"

"At my old school, they never pistolwhipped reporters!"

"Why did you just make him eat his own eyeballs?"

You know. Dumb stuff like that.

*friendless new guy.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm calling it right now: Vega will be the most hilarious, well-written, multi-dimensional character in a BioWare game.

He will be both terrible and refined, much like a dapper werewolf.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

From what I've heard he is, basically, the standard minimum-personality shooter video game protagonist. Kaidan was already too much of that for me, and he was at least biotic.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

To comment on that pic... first, if we can kill off characters, Vega is first to go. Seriously, BioWare? Not only is he apparently very stereotyped, he looks plain ugly. No thank you. Also, Liara likes to cosplay as Samara. Good to know.
    ...There's is just something downright unsettling about Vega. I don't know why, maybe it's just that picture of him and it won't be so bad in-game, I don't think I'll be taking Vega with me on most machines. I don't know about getting him killed off deliberately, but that face...

Also, maybe that head thingy is some kind of asari biotic amp? It'd make sense to see more asari who aren't undercover or trying to hide their villainous intentions with one of those then...and less sense that more don't have them anyway but still...

...I just noticed that if you buzzed the sides of Vega's head, he'd have the same haircut as Vega. Also, am I the only one anticipating Vega to be a humorous snarker who comments on all of the things that have become 'normal' for Commander Shepard?

"What did I do today? I went on a 'routine mission' with Commander Shepard, which means I fought a ten-story space cuttlefish with an assault rifle, shuffled through ancient prothean ruins that would have otherwise defined my career, and shot some mind-controlled human extremists from a black-ops organization that shouldn't exist. This job either sucks or kicks a** if this is routine."
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

From what I've heard he is, basically, the standard minimum-personality shooter video game protagonist. Kaidan was already too much of that for me, and he was at least biotic.
    I have no problem with Kaidan and never understood the hate. I do like Ashley BETTER, but I have a thing for sexy strong women with guns...
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I have no problem with Kaidan and never understood the hate. I do like Ashley BETTER, but I have a thing for sexy strong women with guns...
    This is basically how I feel. I think the main problem people have with him is that his character development occurred off-screen.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I've no problem with Kaidan. I mean, at least he's not Jacob.
    Apparently, I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level): Strength 13; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 17; Wisdom 16; Charisma 13. I'm down with that.

My Paper Master build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72568

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

on a related and also unrelated note.

mass effect movie it is in the work. so much so they are having a panel at comic con to discuss it.

link

for me I don't think it will be good. for one, i been hurt too many times on video game movies. if they are redoing the mass effect 1 plot. i don't think it will turn out. the banter in mass effect one is more lacking than other bioware games and the massive info dumps to make people understand the world won't work in movie form.

but rumor has it that it will be based on the first contact war. if this is the case i think it is the better move. as the characters in the movie will be learning along side the audience and so info dumps are easier to place in.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    My Shepard isn't, and she won't see him either.

Ah, Virmire. Lot of pleasant memories.
    *reminisces*

Getting a hankering to play these games again, get a proper save file ready for 3.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRocks View Post

Kaidan was just bland. Not even that bland, I guess. Just completely overshadowed by every other character. I kinda feel bad for the chap, sometimes.

I actually liked Jacob better than Kaidan though, for one reason only: Renegade Femshep making him soooo adorably uncomfortable with her flirting. I laughed so much with those scenes.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2011-07-07 at 12:50 PM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Falgorn View Post
    This is basically how I feel. I think the main problem people have with him is that his character development occurred off-screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRocks View Post
    See, people always complain about how you only pick up people with major baggage, but the minute you recruit someone who has already dealt with theirs...

"So, anything you'd like to talk about Jacob? Like how torn up you are over how your father was and how you're afraid you'll end up like him some day?"

"Nah, Shepard, I'm good. Whatever that thing was, my father died ten years ago. And I'm not him, I know who I am. Besides, even he couldn't screw up what he taught me."

"You know Jacob, you're a real buzzkill."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I liked Jacob's line when Shepard asked him if he needs help. "Either it's nothing serious, in which case there's no point, or something serious in which case your pseudo-therapy won't work." Or something along those lines; I played the Polish version of the game.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

I liked Kaidan. I don't get why people say he's dull. I almost always picked him, I mean Ashley is pretty cool but her attitude about the alien crew members really rubbed me the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post

Also, whats up with Kaidan's hair? Not sure I approve.
    What do you mean? His hair always looked like that. O.o
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I don't hate Kaidan, I just find him a bit... bland. I definitely agree with you on Ashley, though.

Also, I predict an eventual movie will be a disaster if they try to follow the games' storyline, just because it will inevitably non-canonize most players' choices. First Contact War is good, as is one of the books. Just not the games, please.
    Last edited by Athaniar; 2011-07-07 at 01:09 PM.