New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread III: As the Erf Turns

Spoiler
    Show
    I think the blue text in the background is Maggie, since the red text (which only appears in one frame) seems to be Wanda, and it corresponds to their eye colors in the first frame.

I wonder if it's too late for Charlie to pull whatever he was planning with Vanna? Presumably he can do something or the scene with him contacting Jillian is pointless.

Also, I wonder if the threads are important? There are red and green threads, entwined, going to each of the character's heads in each panel; but just green threads (a bunch of them) going to the Arkenpliers. Important?
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2014-08-29 at 01:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show

Though that could be the exact point of the Charlie scene. Book 3 is when Charlie starts becoming reactive, instead of proactive, losing the chessmaster control over events he's had up till now. This being a point when he reacted too late to intervene directly other than having warned Jillian.

Now, we all know that won't happen, and Charlie Ex Machina will save Jillian somehow. But it's how I like to imagine it happening.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Well Charlie is letting Jillian know that dwagons are incoming and is requesting to be linked up with Vanna White again back in Ch.3-11 so chances are you'll see another linkup OP booping spell that'll 'turn' the tides of battle.

Another Turn-reordering trick? That'll be too over-used since they already did it back in Spacerock. However I definately won't bet on Jillian going down easy.

P.S. What happens when you turn the ruler of a side to your own side?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Talking about infractions can get you infractions

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm predicting a Mass Confusion/Mind Control effect. Thinkamacy to get into the Dwagon's heads, Turnamancy to instantly/temporarily convert them to either your side or wild units.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the blue text in the background is Maggie, since the red text (which only appears in one frame) seems to be Wanda, and it corresponds to their eye colors in the first frame.

I wonder if it's too late for Charlie to pull whatever he was planning with Vanna? Presumably he can do something or the scene with him contacting Jillian is pointless.

Also, I wonder if the threads are important? There are red and green threads, entwined, going to each of the character's heads in each panel; but just green threads (a bunch of them) going to the Arkenpliers. Important?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well he could still end stanely's turn so that Jillian can leave the hex and retreat. Though its possible that he may have some other tricks up his sleeve

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWarforged View Post
    Book 3 - Page 11:

Booping Boop Boopers! Boop is about to get real!
    This could be literally true, given the recent use of a certain dwagons' ability...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm predicting a Mass Confusion/Mind Control effect. Thinkamacy to get into the Dwagon's heads, Turnamancy to instantly/temporarily convert them to either your side or wild units.
    While stacked with the Arkenhammer? Maybe not impossible, but it seems unlikely.
    A partial fail for Charlene...Charlie is female, right?...would fit with your previous thoughts about her falling behind the curve.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

8. - Top - End - #1268

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWarforged View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

P.S. What happens when you turn the ruler of a side to your own side?
    It was discussed in Inner Peace Through Superior Firepower. King Banhammer said that the side goes barbarian.

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    A partial fail for Charlene...Charlie is female, right?...would fit with your previous thoughts about her falling behind the curve.
    No real evidence for it. Everybody who knew Charlie before he became Charlie refers to him as male, including his daughter, so unless he's been forced to borrow an archon's body, it's unlikely.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Another possibility is that we'll get to see the culmination of all the foreshadowing about Charlie's ability to turn natural allies, since on page 8 it looked like all/many of Stanley's fellow dwagon riders were hobgobwins.
    Avatar by Tom Siddell, author and artist of Gunnerkrigg Court.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    No real evidence for it. Everybody who knew Charlie before he became Charlie refers to him as male, including his daughter, so unless he's been forced to borrow an archon's body, it's unlikely.
    Kinda assuming Charlie has a real body left.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    And you're kinda assuming he doesn't?

Most people have bodies. So it's safer to assume he has one than not.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #1272

There was a theory going around a while ago that Charlie is effectively a ghost, since his Thinkamancy links seem to have a problem with him maintaining a physical form. Personally, I think those strips were just a running visual gag.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Ogre in the Playground

Well there is the terrible cost of cheating the poison mentioned in book zero.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Well there is the terrible cost of cheating the poison mentioned in book zero.
    I've been wondering and I think I might have a different interpretation of that. See, we've all been looking at 'cost' in a non-literal sense. What if there is an actual cost associated with cheating the poison? Like, Charlie's personal income became exponentially larger, or increases by a certain amount every turn? This would explain why the only thing that matters to him is money, because if he can't maintain his upkeep, poof! The latter explanation of upkeep increase would also account for why he is continually trying to increase the size of his Archon fleet. He's got to increase his revenue periodically, or else he'll go into the red.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show

Though that could be the exact point of the Charlie scene. Book 3 is when Charlie starts becoming reactive, instead of proactive, losing the chessmaster control over events he's had up till now. This being a point when he reacted too late to intervene directly other than having warned Jillian.

Now, we all know that won't happen, and Charlie Ex Machina will save Jillian somehow. But it's how I like to imagine it happening.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless Charlie is playing Jillian here as a pawn, I put a prediction in the erf forums that "Jillian and the Tool's fight won't be interfered with by charlie directly, however it will naturally go bad enough for the tool that Parson has to get pulled into it, and when Parson is looking that way Charlie will attack in a way nobody at all is looking"
    Last edited by ryuplaneswalker; 2014-08-30 at 05:55 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Ettin in the Playground

The only other character we know who cheated death with Carnymancy eventually died in the exact way she'd been saved initially (in fact, she died that way twice.) It's possible that Charlie's trick works the same way -- he didn't escape his death from poison, merely delayed it, and he's doomed to die from poison at some point in the future.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2014-08-31 at 12:13 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1277

Yeah, it's a bit of a theme that you can't cheat or escape your Fate.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

New page up

Spoiler
    Show
    Stanly is winning at the moment. But Jillian just orderd Vanna to accept a link. I would assume it's with Charlie again. Trying the same trick twice? Parson is figuring the odds. And Ansom is making a move to attack Jillian. It's hitting the fan.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Titan in the Playground

New page up

Spoiler
    Show
    Stanly is winning at the moment. But Jillian just orderd Vanna to accept a link. I would assume it's with Charlie again. Trying the same trick twice? Parson is figuring the odds. And Ansom is making a move to attack Jillian. It's hitting the fan.
    "You can't stop the rock..."
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

20. - Top - End - #1280

That might be the single scariest thing about Parson; how fast he thinks on his feet.

I'm really hoping Jillian is about to get Croaked.

21. - Top - End - #1281

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    "You can't stop the rock..."
    He also appears to be leaping (or possibly burning) through the skies, and defying the laws of gravity, although I'm not real sure about that tiger part, or the speed of light. Now let's just hope he doesn't take the whole Lady Godiva thing too literally.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Ogre in the Playground

New page up

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think so. Ending the turn wouldn't change much beyond granting Jillian the ability to flee the fight. Stanley can still smite her airforce on or off turn. Whatever Charlie's casting needs a bit more teeth here.

Nice reversal here sans link up spells. Jillian aggressively attacks multiple cities on the same turn carrying off dozens of prisoners. Suddenly all those spoils she ran off with just became a massive liability.

23. - Top - End - #1283

NecromancerGuy

Stanley's already wrecking Jillian's forces, so whatever Charlie has planned needs to be big.

I'd prefer to see Jillian croaked, but I'll accept her survival if it means Stanley avoids being croaked. I'd actually be upset if he was.

Also, just to mention the previous update . . . God damn it, Wanda. Get the **** over Jillian already.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Troll in the Playground

As Stanley hasn't designed an heir (as far as I know ?) I very he'll get croaked since that would be game over for Gobwin Knob in general and Parson in particular.

As much as people dislike her, i vry much doubt jillian is going to get craoked now, she's ben been build up too much narratively speaking for her death to happen now, that would be rather anticlimatc;

Pure speculaton:
    Jillina escapes (barely), is forced to re croak Ansom for good this time, iCharlie tries to manipulate that to is advantage in some way (but will likely get blown off) and Stanley will be safe.

. Trying the same trick twice?
    Remember who were talking about ? he's prbaly got morr than on trick with a linked caster.
    Also even if he does pull the same trick there isn't much Parson can do about it if he does. (but i doubt it anyway, she doesn't have the game show board this time)
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2014-09-01 at 01:37 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    As Stanley hasn't designed an heir (as far as I know ?) I very he'll get croaked since that would be game over for Gobwin Knob in general and Parson in particular.
    No it wouldn't. Parson (and every important GK unit aside from Stanley and Ansom) are in the Magic Kingdom, and in fact have been fairly suspiciously shuffled to there. If Stanley dies, they all become independent casters like Digdoug did, they don't die or freeze in time.

Given how the plot has carefully contrived to move not just every GK caster but a significant number of GK units to the Magic Kingdom, and given how the plot has, until now, generally avoided wasting too much time developing non-caster units outside Stanley in detail, I think it's a given that Stanley is going to die soon -- it just seems like everything in the plot has been carefully set up to ensure that things can continue if he dies in this fight.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2014-09-01 at 03:20 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1286

RedWizardGuy

And if he doesn't have a body, then he doesn't technically have a gender, so he wouldn't be female. He doesn't even identify as female.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Yeah, it's a bit of a theme that you can't cheat or escape your Fate.
    And it's also a theme that you shouldn't just accept everything at face value. Charlie may not be able to erase his Fate, but he might be able to postpone it, even indefinitely. And if Parson breaks things enough, Fate may lose it's ability to enforce itself that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    Also, just to mention the previous update . . . God damn it, Wanda. Get the **** over Jillian already.
    Yeah... Wanda's "love" for Jillian is pretty self-destructive.

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Bugbear in the Playground

Charlie may not be able to erase his Fate, but he might be able to postpone it, even indefinitely.
    And it might not, you know, be his "fate." We already know there are "prophecies" concerning him, that have nothing to do with his [secret] addiction.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

28. - Top - End - #1288

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    And it might not, you know, be his "fate." We already know there are "prophecies" concerning him, that have nothing to do with his [secret] addiction.
    We haven't had explicit word from a Predictamancer, but Parson and the Great Minds certainly believe Parson is fated to take him down.
    Last edited by JavaScribe; 2014-09-01 at 10:02 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Bugbear in the Playground

We haven't had explicit word from a Predictamancer, but Parson and the Great Minds certainly believe Parson is fated to take him down.
    Which in what way says he's "Fated to die of poison"? The original hypothesis here was:

The only other character we know who cheated death with Carnymancy eventually died in the exact way she'd been saved initially ... [Charlie] didn't escape his death from poison, merely delayed it, and he's doomed [Fated] to die from poison at some point in the future.
    We have seen no compelling evidence of that as Fate (capital F). Saying that he "didn't escape death (by a specific cause)" because he's "going down eventually" is kind of a tautology. As the expression goes, "Nobody gets out of Life alive."
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2014-09-01 at 11:05 PM.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

30. - Top - End - #1290

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Which in what way says he's "Fated to die of poison"? The original hypothesis here was:

We have seen no compelling evidence of that as Fate (capital F). Saying that he "didn't escape death (by a specific cause)" because he's "going down eventually" is kind of a tautology. As the expression goes, "Nobody gets out of Life alive."
    I seem to have lost track of what the conversation is even about. Are you saying "I was specifically saying he might not be fated to die from poison and you've gone off subject", or are you saying "Charlie will die someday is not a valid prediction"?

If the former, then I apologize for my misunderstanding.

If the latter, one of the two dominant theories regarding Fate is that it isn't a literally preordained future, but a godlike force that manipulates Luckamancy and other subtle things to achieve certain outcomes. Which presumably specifically wants Charlie dead. Does that count as a tautology?