New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Erfworld 152 - tBfGK - 139

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerson Grant View Post
    I wondered which kind of Vinnie Vinnie was. That reminded me of a Doogie Howser episode where Vinny is doing jury duty.

He's Vinnie Delpino all right.
    Every characiture of a group, show, or story which involves Italians (or pseudo-Italians) must have at least one character named Vinny. It's the law.

I read that on the internet so it must be true.

2. - Top - End - #152

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Well, Vinnie has always been my favourite character in the (ex) coalition!
    And I also think it's one of the most brilliant tactical mind we've seen (always in the ex-coalition).
    A great strip.
    I mainly like him because he's one of the only people in the RCC who wasn't totally full of himself, and thought things out.

3. - Top - End - #153

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    Erfworld #148 (page 135) showed a full magma chamber. That means that there was still sufficient pressure to feed it, but insufficient pressure to to overcome the blockage.
    No need to explain how the volcano erupted. I'll explain in a foolproof way that needs no further explanation.

A wizard did it.

There. I can do TVTropes too, so nyaah.

4. - Top - End - #154

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Borris View Post
    Am I the only one interpreting the current strip's events as the reveleation of the secret crush for Ansom Vinnie had been hiding all this timem unable to express his true feelings out of respect for the leader of the coalition?
    He -did- sing showtunes.....

5. - Top - End - #155

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by raphfrk View Post
    OTOH, it was hot enough when it was set off to ignite the Archons by radiation heating alone.
    Why the heck do you think they ignited from 'radiation heating' rather than .... say.... lava spurting up into the air and crisping them in the air, and then the panel showed the aftermath of them falling, flaming, to towards the ground.

6. - Top - End - #156

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hatu View Post
    I still don't get why Jillian suddenly flipped out, though.
    Barbarian.

I repeat..

Thog anger easy. Thog like hit things. Whackety whack hack slash crush.

7. - Top - End - #157

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kreistor View Post
    There can be magma without pressure. Yellowstone park sits on a thin layer of mantle, which puts magma nearer the surface than is normal for the continent, and the result is magma plumes nearer the surface, heating the steam that drives the geysers, hot springs, etc. (And might erupt into the largest volcano the planet has ever seen since it formed, like it has several times before.) Magma can sit in place for millenia. Mt. St. H could have been foreseen to have an eruption because the days before saw parts of the mountain rising, almost visibly, from the pressure below. IN fact, it's doing it again now. In the burst out part a new peak is rising, suggesting Mt. St. H is not done with us yet.
    Hey you watched that Discovery Channel show also huh.

Actually the 'volcano' of Yellowstone is moving, in a way. It's so big that the tectonic plates move while the heat source underneath, building pressure, stays stationary. Every time the supervolcano erupt, it's a few hundred miles further east. The crust is moving.

Of course this has nothing at all to do with Erf. Erf might not have plate tectonics at all.

For all we know, volcanos on Erf erupt because of lava pixies getting cranky.

8. - Top - End - #158

MonkGuy

There can be magma without pressure.
    Btw, gotta also correct you on something though it has no effect on the Erfworld storyline.

Magma under Yellowstone -is- creating pressure. The land has raised several feet over the last few years even from that pressure. Eventually it'll erupt like it has several times in the past

Discovery channel. Gotta love it.

9. - Top - End - #159

MonkGuy

Because Supernatural comes from our world, where magic is inherently supernatural.
    Untrue.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Larry Niven.

"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who do not understand it." - Mark Stanley

10. - Top - End - #160

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dr pepper View Post
    Don't care. I wanted to see Caesar dead the first time he said "chickie" and my opinion hasn't changed.
    Same here.

11. - Top - End - #161

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    It could be bloodless blood drinking.
    I feel like making a joke about factless facts, but I happen to agree with you.

12. - Top - End - #162

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by chefsotero View Post
    But people do have heads, guts, noses and butts in our world, It would make little sense to threat someone with "I will rip your Guseophilion and sitck it in your Felkon".
    You are such a potty mouth.

13. - Top - End - #163

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    Hey, good catch.
    More here too. So okay, Felkin...err blood...does exist in Erf. I suppose it's just not as prominent as some people expect from a wargame comic.
    Could just be that Dragon's blood is different. Or dragons don't bleed :)

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

Jon brings to mind a problem that I've been having since I joined these forums. Just how do you respond to 15 different quotes in one post? I always have to cut and paste.

15. - Top - End - #165

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Indigo"]*sighs*

Neither link has blood. Neither Chef nor I said that people can't get wounded. It's quite obvious that there is flesh, bones and perhaps even organs underneath, as is made clear with the wounded dwagons but there is no blood. Not a single drop anywhere.
    Could be that dwagon's don't bleed.

If Jillian was a dwagon, Cesar wouldn't have been able to make that sort of threat :)

16. - Top - End - #166

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lunaya View Post
    Jon brings to mind a problem that I've been having since I joined these forums. Just how do you respond to 15 different quotes in one post? I always have to cut and paste.
    If I knew how to quote multiple posts in one post, I wouldn't have done this

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

You could just select someones post and paste it into your reply box, then wrap some quote tags around the thing, instead of, you know, spamming an entire bloody page.
    War is demographics on fast forward

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I guess I just don't like her that much.
    I really didn't like her that much. But now that she lost Ansom and is being harassed by Caeser I feel more sympathetic towards her. Jillian has personal motives to go after Parson, and she's reckless enough not to compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Pander View Post
    If I knew how to quote multiple posts in one post, I wouldn't have done this
    In the old days we could simply tag all of them. With the new forum that's no longer possible.

Now I open one, cut, go back, open the other, cut, go back paste, etc. Your way also works, as long as the mods don't think of it as trying to inflate your post counts.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Apart from the nice update, I just wanted to comment on the regularity of them- now that we're coming to a close, the question is when will the next chapter start?

Maybe it all ends- really ends, and is announced so- after about two more strips. But that was not my impression. Do we have an estimate of the pause between Battle for Gobwin Knob and Chapter 2: Transylvito strikes back (or whatever?).

Proud founding member of SINDY. Sometimes, you want probability to go in a back alley and serve plot like a cheap
    Last edited by BLANDCorporatio; 2009-04-06 at 04:45 AM.
    The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

biggrin Re: Erfworld 152 - tBfGK - 139

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Larry Niven.

"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who do not understand it." - Mark Stanley
    "Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from SCIENCE!" - Agatha Heterodyne, Girl Genius.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Barbarian in the Playground

And yet Stanley laid the smackdown on Cesar and all of his bats in one hit.
    What does that say about how powerful Stanley (with the hammer) is, compared to Cesar?
    That didn't really happen, it was the illusion created by the foolamancer.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    That didn't really happen, it was the illusion created by the foolamancer.
    Actually, that was real battle. Only the part with Jillian pwning Stanley and his dwagons was foolamancy. So Stanley is at least as powerful as Ceasar.

By the way: Stanley rides a big, red dwagon and is heading to a volcano. Maybe he gets some fire-resistance bonus from his mount, and can enter the still glowing crater and get the arkentool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

And yet Stanley laid the smackdown on Cesar and all of his bats in one hit. What does that say about how powerful Stanley (with the hammer) is, compared to Cesar?
    Stanley is useing an (Thunderouse voice ON)Artifact of the Titans(Thunderouse voice OFF). That makes him likely the stongest single unit on the field other than someone else also with and Arkentool. Caeser just was not stong enough to stop Stanley. But Caeser is still alive after that attack which shows he is very tough.

Except that Don King seems to respect Vinny's opinion quite a bit. That must have some major pull. Plus Vinny's a noble - he just doesn't lay it out like Ansom did.
    No doubt Vinny has some pull and is a noble. But a lot of his "pull" is not rank though. It's good honest advice. He is trusted/respected by the Don (and was by Ansom as well). But that's not rank/authority. Ceaser is Vinny's boss and will make the final decision.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by WNxHasoroth View Post
    You could just select someones post and paste it into your reply box, then wrap some quote tags around the thing, instead of, you know, spamming an entire bloody page.
    To be fair, those single large posts with multiple quotes make me want to skip them, especially if they are quoting large other posts with text walls, so I try to avoid posting them.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post

No doubt Vinny has some pull and is a noble. But a lot of his "pull" is not rank though. It's good honest advice. He is trusted/respected by the Don (and was by Ansom as well). But that's not rank/authority. Ceaser is Vinny's boss and will make the final decision.
    I agree; probably it was a combination of a lot of elements.
    Vinnie has an high rank, given the fact that he was the commander of Transylvito's troops in the Coalition. He's a noble and was a good friend of Ansom, so there were also a political reason behind his choice.
    But the high rank is confirmed by the fact that Vinnie's strong (remember the fight with the dragons? yes, they were wounded, but V. has done very well) and, most af all, he's very good in strategy and tactics.

From a straight power point, he certainly cannot match Caesar.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Barbarian.

I repeat..

Thog anger easy. Thog like hit things. Whackety whack hack slash crush.
    Wrong kind of Barbarian.
    Unlike OotS, Erfworld is not based off of D&D. The wider (or should I say actual?) definition applies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunaya View Post
    Yup, cut and paste. I use Firefox's tabbed browsing. I open each "quote" page into a new tab. I write my responses, then copy and paste them all together.

I'm thinking that Vinny was some sort of ambassador to Jetstone.

Other than that, all I can figure is that he's just one of Transylvito's many warlords, and just happened to be the one sent as a token contribution to the coalition. But then why is Vinny's word good enough to spend a bunch of money and send 10 warlords to fight Stanley?

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    Wrong kind of Other than that, all I can figure is that he's just one of Transylvito's many warlords, and just happened to be the one sent as a token contribution to the coalition. But then why is Vinny's word good enough to spend a bunch of money and send 10 warlords to fight Stanley?
    Well, Caeaser wasn't really THERE to fight Stanley. He wanted to find about about Faq annd Jillian's story that there was a hidden Capital site nearby. So the forces was not sent out on Vinny's word.
    But as I said Vinny's power is not so much direct authority but about giving good solid honest advice. He is trusted by the Don for that. Caeser on the other hand is a higher ranking, more powerful warlord, but clearly not so smart. An heir maybe? You would need someone with a LOT of authority to set up a new city in Faq. Whatever rank he is, it's clearly above Vinny's rank.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kreistor
    Because Supernatural comes from our world, where magic is inherently supernatural.
    Untrue.

Incorrect.

None of those quotes means that magic is technology. They are all perspective-based quotes.

#1 means that if, for example, someone invented a device that could literally create a live pigeon from nothing, it would appear to be magic (until the designs were published, anyway, at which point it would cease to appear to be magic).

#2 explains how JK Rowling's wizards have things like radios and trains. The magic they use is highly advanced enough to appear to work exactly like technology non-wizards are familiar with.

#3 is simply another way of explaining why the Aztecs treated the Conquistadors like gods - to them the Spaniards' flintlock muskets, horses, and steel breastplates would have seemed impossible, and the users of them must be powerful magicians. Just as Cortez would sink to his knees in fear and worship if a modern-day commando team appeared in their helicopter and kevlar armour and proceeded to machine-gun down all his men.

mag⋅ic
       /ˈmćdʒɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [maj-ik] Show IPA
    –noun
    1. the art of producing illusions as entertainment by the use of sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.; legerdemain; conjuring: to pull a rabbit out of a hat by magic.
    2. the art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation or various other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature. Compare contagious magic, imitative magic, sympathetic magic.
    3. the use of this art: Magic, it was believed, could drive illness from the body.
    4. the effects produced: the magic of recovery.
    5. power or influence exerted through this art: a wizard of great magic.
    6. any extraordinary or mystical influence, charm, power, etc.: the magic in a great name; the magic of music; the magic of spring.
    7. (initial capital letter) the U.S. code name for information from decrypting machine-enciphered Japanese wireless messages before and during World War II.
    –adjective
    8. employed in magic: magic spells; magic dances; magic rites.
    9. mysteriously enchanting; magical: magic beauty.
    10. of, pertaining to, or due to magic.
    11. producing the effects of magic; magical: a magic touch.
    Origin:
    1350–1400; ME magik(e) witchcraft < LL magica, L magicē < Gk magik, n. use of fem. of magikós. See magus, -ic

Synonyms:
    2. enchantment. Magic, necromancy, sorcery, witchcraft imply producing results through mysterious influences or unexplained powers. Magic may have glamorous and attractive connotations; the other terms suggest the harmful and sinister. Magic is an art employing some occult force of nature: A hundred years ago television would have seemed to be magic. Necromancy is an art of prediction based on alleged communication with the dead (it is called “the black art,” because Greek nekrós, dead, was confused with Latin *****, black): Necromancy led to violating graves. Sorcery, originally divination by casting lots, came to mean supernatural knowledge gained through the aid of evil spirits, and often used for evil ends: spells and charms used in sorcery. Witchcraft esp. suggests a malign kind of magic, often used against innocent victims: Those accused of witchcraft were executed.
    From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/magic

And about Caesar's threat to drink Jillian's blood - maybe "drink blood" is the Transylvito warlord unit's Special Attack that drains HP.
    Last edited by sabremeister; 2009-04-06 at 10:14 AM.
    My books - Have Sword & Sorcery: Will Travel™ (available to buy at all good online bookshops)

Literary threat #19:
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword - and I'm pretty handy with both, you know...

29. - Top - End - #179
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by sabremeister View Post
    Incorrect.

None of those quotes means that magic is technology. They are all perspective-based quotes.

#1 means that if, for example, someone invented a device that could literally create a live pigeon from nothing, it would appear to be magic (until the designs were published, anyway, at which point it would cease to appear to be magic).

#2 explains how JK Rowling's wizards have things like radios and trains. The magic they use is highly advanced enough to appear to work exactly like technology non-wizards are familiar with.

#3 is simply another way of explaining why the Aztecs treated the Conquistadors like gods - to them the Spaniards' flintlock muskets, horses, and steel breastplates would have seemed impossible, and the users of them must be powerful magicians. Just as Cortez would sink to his knees in fear and worship if a modern-day commando team appeared in their helicopter and kevlar armour and proceeded to machine-gun down all his men.

From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/magic

And about Caesar's threat to drink Jillian's blood - maybe "drink blood" is the Transylvito warlord unit's Special Attack that drains HP.
    I'm not sure what you're stating as 'incorrect' here. The above quotes were used as a counter to the argument that magic is supernatural. The quotes were featured as a statement that in some cases, technology and magic may be confused, and we certainly don't associate technology with the supernatural. I didn't read any statement anywhere that indicates anyone was trying to say magic and technology were the exact same thing.
    The definitions that you posted with your reply prove that not all magic is defined in supernatural terms, so I'm wondering what you're really saying. Are you saying that magic is supernatural or not? If you're disagreeing with something else, perhaps that should preface your statements rather than simply opening with the word 'incorrect'.
    Last edited by Midnight Roamer; 2009-04-06 at 10:24 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Caeaser wasn't really THERE to fight Stanley. He wanted to find about about Faq annd Jillian's story that there was a hidden Capital site nearby. So the forces was not sent out on Vinny's word.
    But as I said Vinny's power is not so much direct authority but about giving good solid honest advice. He is trusted by the Don for that. Caeser on the other hand is a higher ranking, more powerful warlord, but clearly not so smart. An heir maybe? You would need someone with a LOT of authority to set up a new city in Faq. Whatever rank he is, it's clearly above Vinny's rank.
    Ah, but the decision the Don made to send those warlords apparently preceded Caesar's decision to check out Faq.

Interesting note: Caesar refers to Vinny as 'Count' in panel 7. We have yet to hear Caesar be referred to as being nobility. I'm wondering if maybe he's not. We already know that nobility is not as important to Vinny as it is to Ansom, it may be that TV as a whole puts more import on effectiveness than on nobility.

Of course, maybe he's just using the title to remind Vinny who's in charge.

Either way, Caesar is definitely more powerful and in charge. I think he might be older too.