New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: The New Font

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Daemon

Default The New Font

Does anyone have a problem with the new font. Not the actual look but the size. Previously, the comic font size has been shrinking with every book. This makes sense, the comic is telling a more complex and "mature" storyline and thus the font has been shrinking to accomodate for the maturity. But now the font looks massive and that takes away from the involved storyline and is off-putting as a result. It calls back to the "pre-strip 72" days where the comic was far inferior to it's current form. It also reduces the character's ability to speak for long periods.

Who else thinks the font should be smaller.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: The New Font

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    It also reduces the character's ability to speak for long periods.
    Wouldn't this be part of the point? By increasing the font size isn't the Giant forcing himself to say the same things with fewer words (and more body language, something the new art style should facilitate)?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Love the font, not concerned with the Giant's ability to squeeze tons of words into the comic. Not to mention, unless the Giant is in utter self-denial for some reason, I'm certain he's taken into account his penchant for writing many words in his font selection.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Love the font, not concerned with the Giant's ability to squeeze tons of words into the comic. Not to mention, unless the Giant is in utter self-denial for some reason, I'm certain he's taken into account his penchant for writing many words in his font selection.
    I can only assume but the font style looks bigger and thus more childish. Therefore, it reduces the seriousness and maturity of what is said. There's clearly a problem when Child Durkon and Mum are both speaking in the same font size as Roy's brother Erik.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

The font is actually smaller, in relation to the size of the page, than it was before. It's just that the whole page is larger on-screen now, making it easier to read. When the comic is printed in the book, though, the font will be smaller than that in the previous book.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The font is actually smaller, in relation to the size of the page, than it was before. It's just that the whole page is larger on-screen now, making it easier to read. When the comic is printed in the book, though, the font will be smaller than that in the previous book.
    Thank you! Whilst you're here, is there a reason the comic is larger on-screen. Is there a problem stopping you from shrinking it in your new computer or do you want everyone to see your art up-grade. I think I'd prefer it if it was the same size as the other 946 have consistently been.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

My first thought was honestly that the site had been hacked and someone had put this strip up as a hoax.

As bad as Comic Sans is, its one correct use is...comic strips.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Thank you! Whilst you're here, is there a reason the comic is larger on-screen. Is there a problem stopping you from shrinking it in your new computer or do you want everyone to see your art up-grade. I think I'd prefer it if it was the same size as the other 946 have consistently been.
    I can't speak for the Giant (and won't do so), but I really like that the comic is bigger. I didn't noticed it right away (only after reading this thread), but since Screen sizes get bigger over the time, why don't use that space to show more comic .

I also haven't any problems with the font (though my Dwarvish isn't that great .)

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Is it the same font as the Gygax magazine strips, or slightly different? I remember there was discussion.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Much prefer the new layout. no more zooming in every page to read small details.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Can't say I'm a fan of the Font, but maybe I'll get used to it in the upcoming strips. Probably not a good idea to nee-jerk change it just because losers like me don't like it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Looks to be the same font used in the calendar. If so, it's Wild Words Lowercase.

The only real problem with the font is that there is no real way to differentiate an uppercase "I" and a lowercase "l", except by context. The lack of the bars on the "I" was the 'tell' for me that it is either the same font or a very similar one.

*checks calendar*

Yep. Wild Words Lowercase, I'm fairly sure. FWIW, it's supposed to be a Comic Sans like font, so if people aren't really noticing a difference, that's why.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-03-31 at 08:47 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

I like it. I was never big on Comic Sans. It just has this blocky, digital appearance that isn't as easy for the eyes to follow. The new font has pretty much the same aesthetic, but there's a little more variation in the letters and they aren't shaped to precisely.

I wouldn't mind using Wild Words for my own comics if fonts weren't so pricey.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

What I like most about the new font is that emphasis placed on words is much more noticeable now. As just one example, I didn't notice that Belkar bolded "your" in the last panel of #916 until I reread the comic later, whereas the bold (and italic!) "sky", "fer", and "sun" in #947 clearly stand out.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Wow, that is a huge difference. The larger comic size probably helps a little.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn Bright View Post
    The larger comic size probably helps a little.
    It absolutely makes a difference. When I shrunk 947 to the size of the other comics, it is very similar to the older comics. According to Rich, it'll actually be smaller when it gets to print, though it might be more readable due to the style of the font.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-03-31 at 09:43 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Rich Burlow: The first person in history who made people say: "Change it back to Comic Sans!"

I couldnt care less about fonts! I love everything!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    Rich Burlow: The first person in history who made people say: "Change it back to Comic Sans!"

I couldnt care less about fonts! I love everything!
    Order of the Stick forums: we argue about whether the sky is blue around here!
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Order of the Stick forums: we argue about whether the sky is blue around here!
    Can I put that in my signature?

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    Can I put that in my signature?
    by all means.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”