New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Why are physicians generally huge jerks?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oh, that's not fair. At least the other two studied a real science. Before anyone replies, yes, I know. Still funny.
    Damn, Peelee's playin' hardball.
    I do not think the way you think. If you try to apply your own mindset to the things I say, there will be miscommunications. If something I say seems odd to you or feels like it's missing steps, ask for clarification. I'm not some unreasonable, unknowable entity beyond your mortal comprehension, I'm just autistic and have memory problems.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    Ask a nurse, psychologist or physiotherapist how does it feel to work in a hospital with doctors. After that come back and tell me how it went. ;)
    I know nurses, doctors and other people who work around them (e.g., my wife). As I said, there are definitely some doctors who are bad. Going so far as to to say MOST are, is hyperbole and frankly wrong. Every profession has bad eggs in it. You also hear more about the bad stories from ANYTHING than the good.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Ask a nurse, psychologist or physiotherapist how does it feel to work in a hospital with doctors. After that come back and tell me how it went. ;)
    Both my mother and my step-mother worked as nurses, the later even as chief OP nurse. My father worked as CTO for a large state-run mental ward and my step sisters´s divorced man worked as a GP in a switzerland hospital.

Have these talks and we´ll find out that the "lower rungs" and the "upper rungs" have vastly differing priorities. Talk about the background of these differences, and we should not wonder but be ashamed.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quite well, thank you.

I've been an emergency room nurse for 12 years. Some of the best people I've known are physicians. Some of the worst as well, but much, much fewer.

We do deal with a lot of psychiatric issues. I don't know where Luz lives, but there are actually some states who don't allow emergency room staff to restrain a patient. We really try to make it the last resort because "laying on hands" to someone is dangerous for the patient, staff, and bystanders. If the patient is in a safe place, we let them scream and yell and do what they need to do. It's a crisis situation, and they aren't going to be responsive to therapy at that moment. That said, is the patient is actively hurting themselves, you bet we'll rush in there and hold them down, then tie them to a bed. I'm all of 110 pounds and I've had to assist in taking down guys who could have done well in the MMA.

Once the situation has calmed down then, yes, we do try to offer a psychiatric consultation. We can hold people against their will and force therapy on them if we deem it serious enough. Each state has different laws regarding that process. I'm sorry, Luz, that you had such a negative experience in this.

Here's my advice: Mental health issues rarely see cures. They are relapses. If someone is on their meds and are able to function, they very often stop taking the meds because they think they are "better now". We see the same people over and over in crisis mode because they think they can get better. Someone else in the thread (or several someones really) told you to take care of yourself as well. This is great advice. Make sure that your mom has other people to help her than you. Find out what resources are available in your community. There are often 'respite caregivers' available who can keep her company while you go out and socialize. If caring for someone else is all you're doing you will burn out.
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show

Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

5. - Top - End - #35

Oh, that's not fair. At least the other two studied a real science.
    See? This is what I'm talking about, and Peelee may not even be a doctor! For all we knwo he is a legendary Brazilian soccer player.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

See? This is what I'm talking about, and Peelee may not even be a doctor! For all we knwo he is a legendary Brazilian soccer player.
    Football.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Football.
    Americans
    Last edited by goto124; 2017-08-08 at 03:25 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    One of my favorite things in life is the British, who invented the word "soccer" for that game, giving Americans grief for calling it soccer.

And yeah, I'm all about changing the name to handegg.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-08-08 at 09:45 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    That's one heck of a story there.

I think I know why your brother moved out. Your parents sound toxic and, frankly, I suggest moving out too. I had sympathy for your mother but by the time she hated you and had you go through conversion therapy just because of your sexuality, I lost all of it. Your father in particular sounds like someone you'd be better off cutting off from your life completely. Don't hesitate to call the cops if he assaults you again.

There are subreddits specializing in advice for people in hard life situations, especially relationship-related situations (/r/relationships is a good one), and they're a good place to get advice regarding this kind of thing. Definitely a better place than this forum.
    I don't really like to share stuff on reddit since I feel that place is too full of people and too impersonal.

Smaller forums have kind of a sense of community, they are still strangers on the internet it's just that you feel that they are strangers that you know, for all that's worth.

Then again I wasn’t planning on sharing stuff here, it's just something that happen., sorry to bother you guys :/

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Luz, your story is both tragic and common. The mental health system is very labor intensive, understaffed and under-budgeted. People have trouble dealing with the insane. There are good people willing to help; they are often just too worn down and outnumbered to be effective.

The mentally ill are particularly hard to deal with in the medical field. Often every decision the patient makes is compromised and it falls upon family to care for them. If a patient with high blood pressure refuses his medication, he eventually strokes out and dies, hurting only himself. If a paranoid refuses his meds, he ends up attacking people in the street. Life for the families of the mentally ill is very hard (plus I wouldn’t be surprised if your father is also crazy).

Sadly, like most family of the mentally ill, you will either have to care for your parents, which is a life sentence - albeit a noble one; or you will have to decide if it is beyond your ability and institutionalize your mom. Most of us face this with Alzheimer’s parents, but sadly, if you are dutiful, your parents may live for another 50 years or more.
    Yeah, my family is like super crazy, no wonder I turn out to be extra crazy.

I think that's a fate I deserve and I can live with, is not like I have many options.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Luz, your story is both tragic and common. The mental health system is very labor intensive, understaffed and under-budgeted. People have trouble dealing with the insane. There are good people willing to help; they are often just too worn down and outnumbered to be effective.

The mentally ill are particularly hard to deal with in the medical field. Often every decision the patient makes is compromised and it falls upon family to care for them. If a patient with high blood pressure refuses his medication, he eventually strokes out and dies, hurting only himself. If a paranoid refuses his meds, he ends up attacking people in the street. Life for the families of the mentally ill is very hard (plus I wouldn’t be surprised if your father is also crazy).

Sadly, like most family of the mentally ill, you will either have to care for your parents, which is a life sentence - albeit a noble one; or you will have to decide if it is beyond your ability and institutionalize your mom. Most of us face this with Alzheimer’s parents, but sadly, if you are dutiful, your parents may live for another 50 years or more.
    Yeah, my family is like super crazy, no wonder I turn out to be extra crazy.
    I'm sorry Luz, that you have to go through this, but look at the bright side, if you ever write you biography is going to be more interesting than mine.

Pages and pages of:
    "Satanicoaldo woke up, played video games/read comics/Surfed the net, went to work."
    "Satanicoaldo came back from work, played video games/read comics/Surfed the net, went to bed"

On a serious note, you may think that your relationship with your mother is a good thing, but in my opinion it's a very harmful one.

She has no support network other than you, it seems she sees you more as a friend than a son, that's not healthy, you are not her friend you are her son she can't demand things from you, if she has no friends or ways to interact with other people of course her mind will not be healthy.

The same goes with you, she is keeping you form having a good and healthy social life, that may end up taking a tool on your own sanity.

My advice is, if you plan to take care of her for your entire life (You said so in the other thread), after she gets better, she needs a hobby and people to be friend with, and you also need friends and strong support form people who are not mentally sick right now.

That's my advice, build social links.

About the doctors, yeah they are generally huge @ssholes, the power and influence will do that to you; many have god complexes and are very disrespectful towards other people’s beliefs.

But I have dated a military doctor, who worked in the psychiatric department, and he cracked jokes all the time, both at the job and at home, he claimed that it was to ease things and part of his personality.

If the family likes this kind of thing they would feel better if they don’t they would be so pissed at him that they would not have time to be angry either with their love d ones or with themselves(something very common according to him). But I agree it’s kind of anti-ethical but as the others said it’s a coping mechanism, she was the first person you had to deal with that had this kind of problem and look how worn out you are, imagine how many he has already seen.
    I would rather have a “boring” life like that anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Weird coincidence. Just had one of my regular talks with one of my main investors, her mum is a case of early-onset alzheimers and she cares deeply for her.

Luz, do you really, honestly believe your mum is "starting to recover"? It reads more like the kind of abuse you suffered, you crave love by your parents and the actual situation to "give and receive" validates this.

At that point, everyone telling you the truth will come over s a huge "jerk".
    I’m sorry what? I didn’t understand anything you said.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Football.
    Isn''t England the only English speaking country where most people call the sport in question 'football'. I think, in general use, 'soccer' is the term everywhere byt England.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Isn''t England the only English speaking country where most people call the sport in question 'football'. I think, in general use, 'soccer' is the term everywhere byt England.
    Scotland and Wales call it football too.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

You have that backwards; it's called football everywhere except the US.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Colossus in the Playground

And the US only calls it "soccer" because they've already used "football" for a different sport.

Everywhere else, calls the US sport "American football".

One of my favorite things in life is the British, who invented the word "soccer" for that game, giving Americans grief for calling it soccer.
    Maybe the British invented the term "soccer" for Americans to use amongst themselves only ?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-08-13 at 05:28 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Everywhere else, calls the US sport "American football".
    I've also heard 'wuss rugby'. Or various less polite words than 'wuss'.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    You have that backwards; it's called football everywhere except the US.
    Being from an English speaking country that is not the US, I can confirm that you are wrong about that. Soccer calls itself football here (so does rugby), but most people call it soccer.

'Football' can be equally understoof to refer to soccer, one of the rugby codes, or American football.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Scotland and Wales call it football too.
    Ok. Everywhere by UK then?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Colossus in the Playground

Ok. Everywhere by UK then?
    If you go by Wikipedia, Canada is the main exception to the general principle that football is the preferred term:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_...ation_football

Countries where it is called football
    Association football is known as "football" in the majority of countries where English is an official language, such as the United Kingdom, the Commonwealth Caribbean (including Trinidad and Tobago,[10] Jamaica and others), Malta, India, Nigeria, Cameroon, Pakistan, Liberia, Singapore, Hong Kong and others, stretching over many regions including parts of Europe, Asia, Africa, the Caribbean and Central America.

Fitbaa, fitba or fitbaw, is a rendering of the Scots pronunciation of "football", sometimes seen in humorous or ironic contexts.

North America
    In the United States, where American football is the dominant code, the word football is used to refer to that sport. Association football is most commonly referred to as soccer.

As early as 1911 there were several names in use for the sport in the Americas. A 29 December 1911 New York Times article reporting on the addition of the game as an official collegiate sport in the US referred to it as "association football", "soccer" and "soccer football" all in a single article.[11]

The sport's governing body is the United States Soccer Federation; however, it was originally called the U.S. Football Association, and was formed in 1913 by the merger of the American Football Association and the American Amateur Football Association. The word "soccer" was added to the name in 1945, making it the U.S. Soccer Football Association, and it did not drop the word "football" until 1974, when it assumed its current name.

In Canada, similar to the US, the term "football" refers to gridiron football (either Canadian football or American football; le football canadien or le football américain in Standard French). "Soccer" is the name for association football in Canadian English (similarly, in Canadian French, le soccer).
    South Africa is the other notable exception. Some countries use "soccer" and "football" equally, but very few countries prefer the term "soccer" - besides South Africa and Canada.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-08-13 at 07:04 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

If you go by Wikipedia, Canada is the main exception to the general principle that football is the preferred term:

South Africa is the other notable exception. Some countries use "soccer" and "football" equally, but very few countries prefer the term "soccer" - besides South Africa and Canada.
    I believe Australians also call it "soccer", day to day. Not sure about NZ but I wouldn't be surprised. Likewise Ireland.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2017-08-13 at 12:22 PM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I believe Australians also call it "soccer", day to day. Not sure about NZ but I wouldn't be surprised. Likewise Ireland.

That may be because, with different rules, there's Gaelic football in Ireland (and San Francisco! The carpenters have a big "Irish pride" thing, and some of them did that, the gardeners had "Chinese pride" and did Whale boat racing, neither of which I've done, but I have done a little
    Dragon boat racing, but really as a plumber in San Francisco, I'm supposed to do Bocce since we become Italian when we receive our union card )
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Countries like Cameroon and Nigeria may have English as an official language, but the majority of the population speak different languages.

Of countries where English is spoken by the overwhelming majority of the population and who have qualified for the Soccer World Cup Finals, the word 'football' is usually used in the Home Nations, and the word 'soccer' is usually used in USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

If you want to include other countries where English is spoken but is not the main language, or countries that have borrowed one of the two English words to describe the sport, the issue may become more muddied. I know that Japan and Korea use the word 'soccer', but I accept there might be a few which borrow the word 'football'.

I do think it is clear that the word 'soccer' is widespread enough (and certainly not confined to USA, or a handful of exceptions).

21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground

All Spanish speaking countries call it football(written 'futbol'), Portuguese call it football(written and pronounced 'fuchibol'), etc.

The majority of the world calls it football, rather than soccer. Just like how the majority of the world uses the metric system.
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Really, the whole "silly Americans calling it soccer" thing is one of the most tedious-but-inevitable exercises in one-upmanship around. It's an argument about nothing. British people coined a word to describe a British game in order to distinguish it from other football games. Americans use the word to distinguish it from other football games. This is exactly the manner in which the word was intended to be used. That's all there is to it.

It is not a unique phenomenon to America, as demonstrated, and it's not even unknown in the UK itself (spend some time around a rugby crowd, especially if they went to public school).
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post
    All Spanish speaking countries call it football(written 'futbol'), Portuguese call it football(written and pronounced 'fuchibol'), etc.

The majority of the world calls it football, rather than soccer. Just like how the majority of the world uses the metric system.
    Sure, but I think we were discussing what the most widely used English word is for the sport. Futbol and fuchibol might be the word for the sport in Spanish and Portuguese, but I don't think that has much bearing on the English word for the sport.

The metric system is slightly different, because very few (if any) countries outside USA do not use the metric system, whereas lots of countries outside USA use the word 'soccer'. Even then, if USA is the only country to use the imperial system, that does not make them wrong to do so.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2017-08-13 at 05:00 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

MonkGuy

There are lots of different types of football. (Association, Rugby, Gaelic, American, Austrailian Rules, "whoever gets the ball to the other end of the town wins", etc).

It seems reasonable that whichever form is most popular in any particular country gets called "football" there, and you only need to use more specific names when talking about other types of football, or talking to foreigners who have a different most popular type.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Even then, if USA is the only country to use the imperial system, that does not make them wrong to do so.
    Wrong? No, why. Silly? Well...

As it was mentioned, it's only natural that you use "Football" whatever the most popular type is in the territory you live in. The problem with these arguments is that most people fail to see that the issue isn't that it shouldn't be called "soccer". The issue is that the American type shouldn't be called football as default (except when in the US, obviously).

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post

As it was mentioned, it's only natural that you use "Football" whatever the most popular type is in the territory you live in. The problem with these arguments is that most people fail to see that the issue isn't that it shouldn't be called "soccer". The issue is that the American type shouldn't be called football as default (except when in the US, obviously).
    It's a little weird that american football doesn't really involve feet though.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post

Well you know what Sturgeons law says about the majority....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Liquor Box
    In Brazil they say “futebol,” straight from England’s “football.”

To my knowledge, “fuchibol” is not used in Brazil, and sounds like a phonetic spelling of “futebol.”

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post

I'm from a metric country, and prefer the metric system. But that doesn't mean I think it is silly that the Americans use the imperial system - the cost of conversion for them would be huge, and what are the benefits really?

As to 'football' it is not only Grid Iron and soccer that are regularly called football. There is also Australian Rules Football (which is no way similar to soccer), Rugby Union and Rugby League that are usually referred to as 'football' in certain parts of the world (occasionally including England based on Aedelred's post). I understand that there is also Gaelic football and probably several other less prominent types.

In my country, if one used the word 'football' without any context (such as them being known to be a fan of one of the football sports) there would be general confusion as to whether they were referring to rugby, league, grid iron or soccer. Maybe you are right that the word football should not be used to describe grid iron anywhere outside USA (and probably Canada) where it is obvious what is being referred to, but by the same token perhaps the word football should not be used to describe soccer in any English speaking country other than UK.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

I'm from a metric country, and prefer the metric system. But that doesn't mean I think it is silly that the Americans use the imperial system - the cost of conversion for them would be huge, and what are the benefits really?
    Trade and labelling. See also the time NASA blew up a massively expensive rocket over an imperial/metric mismatch, or the disaster that was the US model of the Chauchat gun.

Also, I guarantee any medical care in the US is handled in metric. "Give me 5 ccs, stat" = 5 cubic cm, aka a "mil" or milliliter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.