New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Quote Originally Posted by Samayu View Post
    Q.240
    I forget, does RAW state whether multiple magic missiles from the same casting on the same target causes multiple concentration saves?

I assume the answer is no, and that people just argue ad infinitum, but I wanted to be sure.
    The below is incorrect according to this tweet from Jeremy Crawford: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/04/22/do-you-roll-concentration-for-every-instance-of-damage-taken/

Sorry for not checking first!

A240: The spell description is one of the few, or the only one, that states that the missiles hit ‘simultaneously. So regardless of how many hit a creature it’s one instance of damage and therefore one saving throw.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2019-03-27 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Formatting

2. - Top - End - #722
    Pixie in the Playground

Q241
    Ok, my question is mainly about range weapons.
    Im wanting to make a gunsmith artificer, and the weapon states:
    "You are proficient with the Thunder Cannon. The firearm is a two-handed ranged weapon that deals 2d6 piercing damage.Its normal range is 150 feet, and its maximum range is 500 feet."

Questions I have are:
    A Normal range of 150, does this mean I can shoot from 0-150ft normally, and from 150-500 with disadvantage?
    B since im proficient with it (still newish to D&D, sorry), the only benefit is adding the proficiency modifier to hit and damage, correct?

3. - Top - End - #723

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Buji View Post
    Q241
    Ok, my question is mainly about range weapons.
    Im wanting to make a gunsmith artificer, and the weapon states:
    "You are proficient with the Thunder Cannon. The firearm is a two-handed ranged weapon that deals 2d6 piercing damage.Its normal range is 150 feet, and its maximum range is 500 feet."

Questions I have are:
    A Normal range of 150, does this mean I can shoot from 0-150ft normally, and from 150-500 with disadvantage?
    B since im proficient with it (still newish to D&D, sorry), the only benefit is adding the proficiency modifier to hit and damage, correct?
    A241: Yes. Any ranged weapon past normal is at disadvantage. No. Your proficiency bonus only applies to the To Hit roll, not to damage.

4. - Top - End - #724

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Samayu View Post
    Q.240
    I forget, does RAW state whether multiple magic missiles from the same casting on the same target causes multiple concentration saves?

I assume the answer is no, and that people just argue ad infinitum, but I wanted to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A240: The spell description is one of the few, or the only one, that states that the missiles hit ‘simultaneously. So regardless of how many hit a creature it’s one instance of damage and therefore one saving throw.
    C240

I'm sorry, but i contest this answer. Not because it's wrong in saying that missile hits simultaneously, but because there's a rule about needing to check concentration for each single source of damage that is received. The spell states that each dart deals an x amount of damage, so even if all darts strike simultaneously, each has a damage component, and should be checked indipendently.

BUT, "magic missile" is a spell, and as such it could be considered a single source of damage. And thus could fall flat on that distinction.

But, but, but.

In short, it's not a Simple RAW Question and doesn't have a Simple RAW Answer, as required by the thread.

The only thing that is sure is that:
    "does RAW state whether multiple magic missiles from the same casting on the same target causes multiple concentration saves?" has: "No. There's no point in any of the published text that has a specific exception catered towards Magic Missile explicitly stating what you are asking."

Edit: Also, next question is Q242
    Last edited by ThePolarBear; 2019-03-27 at 08:37 AM.

5. - Top - End - #725

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ThePolarBear View Post
    C240

I'm sorry, but i contest this answer. Not because it's wrong in saying that missile hits simultaneously, but because there's a rule about needing to check concentration for each single source of damage that is received. The spell states that each dart deals an x amount of damage, so even if all darts strike simultaneously, each has a damage component, and should be checked indipendently.

BUT, "magic missile" is a spell, and as such it could be considered a single source of damage. And thus could fall flat on that distinction.

But, but, but.

In short, it's not a Simple RAW Question and doesn't have a Simple RAW Answer, as required by the thread.

The only thing that is sure is that:
    "does RAW state whether multiple magic missiles from the same casting on the same target causes multiple concentration saves?" has: "No. There's no point in any of the published text that has a specific exception catered towards Magic Missile explicitly stating what you are asking."

Edit: Also, next question is Q242
    You’re correct! https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/04/22...-damage-taken/

I’ve updated my answer.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q243 how does empowered evocation work with Prismatic Spray? Is it added damage for each target?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2019-03-27 at 09:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q243 how does empowered evocation work with Prismatic Spray? Is it added damage for each target?
    A243 Yes.

Each target who takes damage from that spell takes 10d6 +int.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q244 My abjuration wizard gets hit with the drow's sword. The abjurative ward absorbs the sword damage. Do I still take the poison damage?

9. - Top - End - #729
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q245 invisible creature becomes visible when it attacks or casts a spell. Why does sage advice say that a dragons breath weapon will not make it visible. Is the breath weapon not an attack?

10. - Top - End - #730

BarbarianGuy

Q244 My abjuration wizard gets hit with the drow's sword. The abjurative ward absorbs the sword damage. Do I still take the poison damage?
    A244: Drow Poison is an Injury Poison:

Injury. Injury poison can be applied to weapons, ammunition, trap components, and other objects that deal piercing or slashing damage and remains potent until delivered through a wound or washed off. A creature that takes piercing or slashing damage from an object coated with the poison is exposed to its effects.”

So if the ward stops any damage (an injury) from happening then the poison has no method of being transferred to the creature being attacked.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2019-03-28 at 01:38 AM.

11. - Top - End - #731

BarbarianGuy

Q245 invisible creature becomes visible when it attacks or casts a spell. Why does sage advice say that a dragons breath weapon will not make it visible. Is the breath weapon not an attack?
    R245: Can you provide a link to that post?

Generally speaking an attack requires making an attack roll. The breath weapon requires making a saving throw.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2019-03-28 at 01:47 AM.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A244: Drow Poison is an Injury Poison:
    Where is that quote from? I may want to reference it later.

EDIT: I actually found very similar wording in the DMG p.257 that backs you up.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2019-03-28 at 09:34 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

13. - Top - End - #733

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Where is that quote from? I may want to reference it later.
    R244: It came up on D&D Beyond by searching for "Drow Poison".

This poison is typically made only by the drow, and only in a place far removed from sunlight. A creature subjected to this poison must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 hour. If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the creature is also unconscious while poisoned in this way. The creature wakes up if it takes damage or if another creature takes an action to shake it awake.

Injury. Injury poison can be applied to weapons, ammunition, trap components, and other objects that deal piercing or slashing damage and remains potent until delivered through a wound or washed off. A creature that takes piercing or slashing damage from an object coated with the poison is exposed to its effects.

It's the power of DDB in that it's a combination of two parts from the DMG: "Injury", page 257 + "Drow Poison (Injury)", page 258.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2019-03-28 at 10:42 AM.

14. - Top - End - #734

A245 Attacking, Casting a Spell, and using a Breath Weapon are all different Actions.

Invisibility only specifies the first two as interacting with it- causing it to end. Invisibility is not affected by other Actions.

(ymmv - DM discretion is advice.)
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Troll in the Playground

Q 246 Let's say you have weapon and shield. Can you drop your weapon to cast Shield?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

16. - Top - End - #736

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q.247
    Can you forcefeed a healing potion to an unconscious person? What about a Goodberry?

17. - Top - End - #737
    Troll in the Playground

A 247 A potion, yes. Goodberry's description says you use an action to eat one so it's not RAW. Many DMs allow it.

18. - Top - End - #738

Q 246 Let's say you have weapon and shield. Can you drop your weapon to cast Shield?
    A246 Although dropping a weapon is a 'free action'; it is also one you have to take during your turn.

You would not be able to just drop your weapon as part of the Reaction; but, (if you want to game the system) you could 'pre-drop' your weapon at the end of your turn and scoop it back up at the start of the next. Just don't do that too much or you might have it stolen, >.>

19. - Top - End - #739
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q248 Im a wizard. I dodge. The attacker hits one of my images. Is the attack at disadvantage to hit my image?

20. - Top - End - #740
    Troll in the Playground

A 248 This is an excellent question but to be honest, I don't think there's a simple RAW answer to it. There have been long contentious threads about how Mirror Image works or doesn't work in a particular context. The spell description doesn't directly address this.

"the duplicates move with you and m im ic your actions"

Based on this, I would say the images are dodging also and thus imposing disadvantage on attacks. However a less lenient DM may very well interpret that differently. For instance, he could say you're dodging attacks directed at you and not at your images, or that even if you try to dodge an attack directed at an image, it wouldn't work quite right because it's in a different position and the same movement might move it into the line of attack instead of away, for instance.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q249 I'm a wizard/fighter. Can I get the full benefit from a shield (maybe even a magic shield) AND Mage Armor AND a Shield spell as a reaction, stacking all that?

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

A 249 Yes. Keep in mind the Shield spell has verbal and somatic components so you'll need a hand free to cast it or you'll need Warcaster if you want to cast it while holding a weapon and shield.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A249 What about my ring of protection, does that +1 AC stack with all that?

24. - Top - End - #744
    Firbolg in the Playground

AQ 249a What about my ring of protection, does that +1 AC stack with all that?
    A249a
    Yes. Bonuses stack unless an ability says they don't (like the Improved Pact Weapon Invocation), or if they come from the same source (so you can't use two Rings of Protection).
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-01 at 10:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

Q248 Im a wizard. I dodge. The attacker hits one of my images. Is the attack at disadvantage to hit my image?
    A248

Yes. By RAW all Mirror Image does is impose a chance that an attack that hit your AC doesn't actually hit. Everything else is just fluff, really.

Powers &8^]

26. - Top - End - #746

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    A248

Yes. By RAW all Mirror Image does is impose a chance that an attack that hit your AC doesn't actually hit. Everything else is just fluff, really.

Powers &8^]
    Erm, I think the answer is "No" based on your reasoning.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Troll in the Playground

A 248 This is an excellent question but to be honest, I don't think there's a simple RAW answer to it. There have been long contentious threads about how Mirror Image works or doesn't work in a particular context.
    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    A248

Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Erm, I think the answer is "No" based on your reasoning.
    See what I mean? Not simple RAW. At this point, it probably deserves its own thread.

28. - Top - End - #748

See what I mean? Not simple RAW. At this point, it probably deserves its own thread.
    I meant that I think he made a typo.

RAW, Mirror Image doesn't mention anything about the Dodge action, Disadvantage, or any other rider effects, yet it does use your Dexterity. While it fits narratively that Mirror Image benefits from those things (especially considering it benefits from your Dexterity), the RAW implies that nothing like that is applied. If those things were intended to be applied, you'd think it'd say so.

This is the RAW thread, so while the answer is pretty clear, there may be some that don't like it (myself included).
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-01 at 04:30 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A248 I have no clue what you guys are talking about, there is a simple answer for that.

the duplicates move with you and mimic your Actions
    ~~ RAW mirror image

When you take the Dodge action, you focus entirely on avoiding attacks.
    ~~ RAW dodge action

They mimic the dodge action - they do not take the dodge action.

There is no RAW that says mimic action = take action.

The only justification I can think of is that people think that taking the "Dodge Action" is starting to bob and weave and thus making you harder to get hit. It's not. Dodging is - to quote "being entirely focussed on avoiding attacks". Yet it's inherently obvious that focus, without the mental capacity to act on it, won't jield benefits.

... not that that matters, because you can't just insert rules where you don't like it. Unless stating somehere else in RAW, mimic =/= take.

Anthing more is RAI and /or RAF.
    Yes, tabaxi grappler. It's a thing

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Alucard (TFS): I do things. I take very enthusiastic walks through the woods
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries
    Actually, "(e-1)/e for a limit to infinitiy", but, it's a good rule of thumb

30. - Top - End - #750
    Troll in the Playground

Q 248 seems to have graduated from simple RAW and deserves its own thread, as I first suspected. I think it would be the courtious thing to copy responses over there and continue.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...dodge-with-you
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2019-04-01 at 05:05 PM.