New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

I would probably like a lot of the scripts more if htey were done with Tennant instead of Smith. I just don't like him as an actor, none of his emotions feel genuine to me.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Honestly, the denoument was my favorite part. By giving closure to it all, it helped me be okay with the fact that Moffat wasn't really touching any of the RTD continuity. (I'd previously seen through all of Season 5 and then earlier Who, so I was annoyed at the soft reboot. Seeing RTD wrap it all up made me more satisfied.)
    This has been my opinion on it as well, if you're going to break the continuity off like they were doing, giving closure is important.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Troll in the Playground

Wheel of Ice is indeed the book in question.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Simon View Post
    The only ones I recall are The Ice Warriors, Seeds of Death, Curse of Peladon and Monster of Peladon. To be honest, none of them are great, although Curse has a certain rough charm to it.
    Seeds of Death has the advantage of the worst-designed planetary transit system in history.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, guys, now that we have a planet-wide teleportation network up and running, where should we put the control centre?"
    "Well, obviously it has to be on the Moon. Otherwise it can't overlook the whole thing."
    "Oh, right, makes sense. Next question - what should we do with all these rockets?"
    "Just destroy them. Now that we have a planet-wide teleportation network, we'll never need to go to the Moon again. Oh, and make sure that all of our food transportation is hooked into the network so tightly that a two-day downtime would lead to mass starvation. Transit will be more efficient that way."
    "Well, yeah, that's a given. Oh, what do we do if literally anything at all goes wrong with the teleporter on the Moon, dooming our entire society to death?"
    "Don't worry about it. Four of the five people trained in operating the teleporter are already on the Moon at any given time, where a tiny fault would kill them all, and they'll presumably handle any problems. So there's no need to send anyone up to fix things!"
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I would probably like a lot of the scripts more if htey were done with Tennant instead of Smith. I just don't like him as an actor, none of his emotions feel genuine to me.
    This is just one of those different tastes things. Smith is my Doctor, or at least one of them. I just enjoy his energy. Tennant is a better actor, but I just hated the way his character was going by the end. The anti-gun rants while he callously destroys his enemies. The pining over Rose, my least favorite companion in NuWho. Tinkerbell!Doctor. And the melodrama, ugh. I much prefer Smith's bumbling about to Tennant's forlorn looks at the camera.

When I watched End of Time the first time I kept thinking to myself, "Doctor, do you remember how 9 went? Like a badass, 'I'm sacrificing myself for you guys. And I was FANTASTIC!' none of this "I don't want to go" nonsense." The next thing I did was look at my watch to see how long his goodbyes were taking.

This pretty much demonstrates my opinions on the matter.

5. - Top - End - #1235

Absolutely. Those are all problems I will freely admit existed. Rose was quite horrible.

But seriously, the melodrama? Smith's run is packed full of it. I'm sick of all the drama they are packing on him. I mean, I thought we'd finally get rid of the doctor-glorification and get back to simple adventuring.

But that doesn't seem to be happening. We get the same universe-ending catastrophes, but now, instead of two episodes, they seem to take up half the season, with the "hints" hammered at us with sledgehammers.

I don't have anything against the bumbling about. It can be quite fun. It's the drama that gets on my nerves. At least Tennant was bearable when he did the drama, he could sell it to me. Smith can't, he just looks a bit lost and apathetic to me.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Doing some investigating I think it's called The Wheel of Ice and it is indeed an original story.
    Cool! How good is it?
    Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Okay, this I love. I actually and honestly lolled.

Yeah, I agree Tennant has the range, but it's like when 2/Troughton went a bit dark - he didn't sell it as an actor, but the character did with his actions. Sometimes the Doctor isn't scary to look at or listen too. That doesn't change the results or the reputation. I'm okay with 11 being a bit ineffectual. It's isn't like there isn't precedence. Look at 5/Davison. It's all he did...
    Kosmopolite

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Heh, I actually know the guy who made that.

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialStick View Post
    Cool! How good is it?
    Friv will have to field this. I haven't read it, I'm just really good at digging up info.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Friv will have to field this. I haven't read it, I'm just really good at digging up info.
    So far, so good, although Steven Baxter has a fondness for transliterating Scottish dialects that is more than a little distracting. At the moment it's reading like a decent, fairly typical episode of Doctor Who, which I can't complain about.

There's the usual "every major disaster in time takes place in Earth's Solar System" thing that sometimes bugs me, but whatever, that's basically just thematic for Who.

(Also there's a lot of subtext with Jamie/Doctor, which thanks to Curly I am now trained to see everywhere.)
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    I realize that I'm about to change the subject, and also that this may not be news to everyone, but I don't care.

I am reading a Doctor Who book written by Steven Baxter.

It is about the Second Doctor, Jamie and Zoe.

I am three pages in and Jamie is wearing the Doctor's slippers and it is adorable.
    That sounds fun, and from that last sentence I -

(Also there's a lot of subtext with Jamie/Doctor, which thanks to Curly I am now trained to see everywhere.)
    *fistpump!*
    I've made an impact on someone! Possibly an unwelcome impact, but I stand by my beliefs. This one at least.
    Since we're on the subject, is there a lot of subtext? You know, now that you can't help but see it?

So far, so good, although Steven Baxter has a fondness for transliterating Scottish dialects that is more than a little distracting. At the moment it's reading like a decent, fairly typical episode of Doctor Who, which I can't complain about.

There's the usual "every major disaster in time takes place in Earth's Solar System" thing that sometimes bugs me, but whatever, that's basically just thematic for Who.
    That dialect transliteration is everywhere. One of my mates has Ni No Kuni, and I swear one of the English VAs is Rhod Gilbert. And of course, such a strong Welsh accent (and dialect) has to be transcribed in the subtitles.
    Youer, ouer, butties, knickers. Good times.

Expect a review sometimes today or tomorrow. Hopefully.
    I've had a bad bout of depression/familial/relationship troubles recently to the point where I very nearly wanted to close my account here.
    That mindset combined with, quite frankly, an extremely distressing dream revolving around Doctor Who (I was watching an episode I'd already reviewed at the same time as the parents were (loudly) watching a documentary on war crimes, genocide, torture etc.) lead to me feeling genuinely physically sick for three days at even the thought of Doctor Who.
    Vivid imaginations combined with sertraline, a severe bout of depression and troubles lead to bad things.
    Fortunately, things are feeling more optimistic. To the point where I don't feel like I have to fake anything, and can derive actual enjoyment from things again.
    This is good.
    It will be (honestly) celebrated.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

11. - Top - End - #1241

Planetar

When I was a kid in the 60s there was some dubbed Japanese superhero, whom I thought was Titanium Man, only I can't find him under that name, whose movies always started with a voice-over that ended by explaining that the villain of the movie was attacking "Earth, the richest planet in the universe!" See, that explains it.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Titan in the Playground

Doctor Who really is something of a Comic Relief staple at this point, isn't it?

During the One Born Every Minute sketch (my Mum, who actually watches the program that was taking the mic out of itself was in hysterics), as soon as the woman said "I want a doctor" I knew what was coming and I still nearly did myself laughing.

And David Tennant continues to be hilarious and awesome. (I saw that coming too, and it didn't make it any less funny.)

(For those of you outside the UK or those of you who were unable to watch - shame on you if you're over here and didn't watch it if you could! - I imagine the skit will be up on youtube before many days are out...)

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I've had a bad bout of depression/familial/relationship troubles recently to the point where I very nearly wanted to close my account here.

Should I go get the picture of me hugging you again? Hmm, I guess it's not necessary, since you're feeling better now?
    Regardless, I'm obviously glad you're still here and in a better state now, and would like to have offered my sympathy and comfort - but an embrace cannot be taken to act retrospectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Doctor Who really is something of a Comic Relief staple at this point, isn't it?

During the One Born Every Minute sketch (my Mum, who actually watches the program that was taking the mic out of itself was in hysterics), as soon as the woman said "I want a doctor" I knew what was coming and I still nearly did myself laughing.

And David Tennant continues to be hilarious and awesome. (I saw that coming too, and it didn't make it any less funny.)

(For those of you outside the UK or those of you who were unable to watch - shame on you if you're over here and didn't watch it if you could! - I imagine the skit will be up on youtube before many days are out...)
    ...oh, that's why my friend has a facebook status about David Tennant. I didn't even know Comic Relief was today (well, technically yesterday now).
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

14. - Top - End - #1244

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    That sounds fun, and from that last sentence I -

*fistpump!*
    I've made an impact on someone! Possibly an unwelcome impact, but I stand by my beliefs. This one at least.
    Since we're on the subject, is there a lot of subtext? You know, now that you can't help but see it?

That dialect transliteration is everywhere. One of my mates has Ni No Kuni, and I swear one of the English VAs is Rhod Gilbert. And of course, such a strong Welsh accent (and dialect) has to be transcribed in the subtitles.
    Youer, ouer, butties, knickers. Good times.

Expect a review sometimes today or tomorrow. Hopefully.
    That mindset combined with, quite frankly, an extremely distressing dream revolving around Doctor Who (I was watching an episode I'd already reviewed at the same time as the parents were (loudly) watching a documentary on war crimes, genocide, torture etc.) lead to me feeling genuinely physically sick for three days at even the thought of Doctor Who.
    Vivid imaginations combined with sertraline, a severe bout of depression and troubles lead to bad things.
    Fortunately, things are feeling more optimistic. To the point where I don't feel like I have to fake anything, and can derive actual enjoyment from things again.
    This is good.
    It will be (honestly) celebrated.
    I'm sorry you were having such a rough time, and I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. I'm no stranger to severe depression, so you're not alone.
    Last edited by CelestialStick; 2013-03-15 at 09:32 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    A couple of days you say? try mere hours. That's only stuff that features Smith mind. And it's not the whole Call The Midwife sketch, but meh.

Also if you want more Red Nose Day Doctor Who, you can always watch Curse of a Fatal Death.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2013-03-15 at 10:24 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I come bearing pointless news, there's going to be a Doctor Who Pointless special next Saturday

(also new trailer but that spoils my pointless joke.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Dwarf in the Playground

I love the new trailer and I think Clara is adorable. I can't wait for the new series!

And of course, the inevitable arrival on Trenzalor - which I'm guessing will be the multi-Doc anniversary special, though I could be wrong, of course.

There's a question - what would you like to see from the 50th? Something from the other Doctors would be nice. I think it's interesting that they're filming a docu-drama about the start of the show, with other actors having been cast as Patrick Troughton and William Hartnell. Do you think those same actors should be used for the 50th, along with one of Jon Pertwee's descendants, maybe?

Personally, I'm not sure. I've always thought that at this stage, animation would be the only way to get them all together - Frazer Hines does an excellent Patrick Troughton impression. I've seen it live myself. Or would it be better just to keep it to those Doctors who are still around and look kind of like they did in their eras? Thoughts?
    Kosmopolite

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Orc in the Playground

Yay, Warwick Davis!

Kosmopolite, I dunno, Richard Hurndall was a reasonable replacement for William Hartnell in The Five Doctors, and I guess they could do some handwaving explanation that having so many incarnations together at the same time has done some odd things to their appearances (cf Time Crash).

Unless the Beeb wants to shell out a load of cash and do some CGI face transplants like Disney did with the young Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy.

But I doubt it.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Dwarf in the Playground

The thing is, in The Five Doctors, the three on-screen Doctors were fighting for screen time. The less said about the 90s Children in Need abomination the better. If the others are involved, I think it should be in extremely minor roles. Or perhaps not all of them, but just a few as part of the story line. The Eleven Doctors seems rather unwieldy as a concept, and I'm not sure it could be pulled off well.

And Yay Warwick Davis!
    Kosmopolite

20. - Top - End - #1250

Hrrrrm.

I must say... what is it with New Who and superspecialawesome companions? Rose is omnipotent, Captain Harkness is indestructible and immortal, Donna Noble is a spoiler, Rory is an Auton, Amy has a time-baby, River Song is annoying (and also a time-travelling archaeologist super-criminal half-time lord) and now we have this one.

Whatever happened to "normal people"?

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Dwarf in the Playground

Relevant to our Interests: a new clip of episode 1!
    Kosmopolite

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Titan in the Playground

Craig for companion! Make it so!
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Craig for companion! Make it so!
    Rory was normal until he got on board with the Doctor. Donna and Rose too. Martha stayed normal and more than a little dull. So did Mickey.

I don't mind it so much, to be honest. If you've been knocking around for a millennium, you're going to check out the most interesting people. You want to see something new.
    Kosmopolite

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Titan in the Playground

Hrrrrm.

I must say... what is it with New Who and superspecialawesome companions? Rose is omnipotent, Captain Harkness is indestructible and immortal, Donna Noble is a spoiler, Rory is an Auton, Amy has a time-baby, River Song is annoying (and also a time-travelling archaeologist super-criminal half-time lord) and now we have this one.

Honestly, screw normal people. We're watching a show about a guy in a box that travels through time and space, why must we keep having companions from present day Britain? The most normal characters have always been the most boring (Mikey, Martha, pre-Auton Rory). Give me a an alien for a companion! Let's see Grotor the Unquenchable, a knight from the War of the Roses, a gas station attendant whose stop is on Neptune, a tree person from Cheem, a sentient space anomaly trapped in the body of a child. Or whatever awesome zaniness we can think of.

The only reasons why they keep with normal people is well let's be honest it makes costumes less expensive, and because they think people can relate to them better. But people can relate to anything so long as the emotions are real and the writing is good.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2013-03-18 at 05:54 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1255

Right. Absolutely. All of those.

People from other time periods? Sure! Aliens? I'd love them! Robots! Mutants! Scientists!

Sure. I wouldn't have anything against any of those. But it just seems that the companions seem to have this annoying habit of acquiring superpowers and then becoming integral to the stability of the universe. I don't have anything against weird or competent people. That would be fine.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

But it just seems that the companions seem to have this annoying habit of acquiring superpowers and then becoming integral to the stability of the universe. I don't have anything against weird or competent people. That would be fine.
    I saw it as the opposite. These people were integral to the stability of the universe, and that is why they became companions. The Doctor points this out a few times with both Donna and her Grandfather, and I think it holds true for Rose. Not so much for Amy and Rory imo.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

The only reasons why they keep with normal people is well let's be honest it makes costumes less expensive, and because they think people can relate to them better.
    And the fact that it would get boring spending half of every episode set on present day (or near future) earth trying to stop people from freaking out when they see the companions and explaining normal human behavior to the companion.
    Because if they look human und understand the culture, it's rather pointless to write "alien" into their background.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Titan in the Playground

Right. Absolutely. All of those.

People from other time periods? Sure! Aliens? I'd love them! Robots! Mutants! Scientists!

Sure. I wouldn't have anything against any of those. But it just seems that the companions seem to have this annoying habit of acquiring superpowers and then becoming integral to the stability of the universe. I don't have anything against weird or competent people. That would be fine.
    Ehh, it adds a bit of drama. And it doesn't really bother me, also most of them aren't that central to the universe, just that seasons plot or just the finale. Also I just figure being around the Doctor means weirdness just sort of happens by default. The only one that really comes out of nowhere for me is Jack and Rory, which were both kind of cheap methods to bring a dead character back.

I think I don't have so much a problem with it because they all have the Doctor to compare themselves to. The Doctor is such a powerful force in this show that giving characters weirdness is one of the few ways I can think of to make any figment of balance between their interactions, without bastardizing the Doctors character to make him look worse. Now it doesn't have to be, but then the character would have to pull some ridiculous shenanigans without any explanation to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeras View Post
    And the fact that it would get boring spending half of every episode set on present day (or near future) earth trying to stop people from freaking out when they see the companions and explaining normal human behavior to the companion.
    Because if they look human und understand the culture, it's rather pointless to write "alien" into their background.
    They somehow manage with Lady Vastra and Strax. Also, getting an alien commentary on various levels of human culture could be fun. And let's be honest, science works like magic in this show. Having the Doctor come up with a "Homo-Transmogrificating Gyro-Plunge" that can change the characters so they look human and gives the actor a chance to have a go outside their normal costume would work just fine for present day Earth episodes.

Also, as an aside. Less episodes on Earth would also be nice.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Orc in the Playground

Also, as an aside. Less episodes on Earth would also be nice.
    But fewer episodes on Earth would be gramatically correct
    Last edited by Dr. Simon; 2013-03-18 at 04:22 PM.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Simon View Post
    But fewer episodes on Earth would be gramatically correct
    Dude, really? Also: grammatically.

Anyway, I know what you mean about Earth. Maybe even Earth in different modern era periods like the Swinging Sixties would be good...

Honestly, though, I don't mind. It's gotten better since RTD's days of every other episode on either a London council estate or in Cardiff...
    Kosmopolite