New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XVIII: Invisible Hand of the Legendary Smoke Knights

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
    In latest updates the Foglio's are really inspired.
    One better than the other.
    The Ding-Beast ... well, just like Agatha, I'm becoming quite fond of it.
    And the exchange of words between Dimo and Wooster is simply ROTFL! I mean, the quiet smile of Wooster, while he admits that a kill gives a better taste to tea ...
    Can we get someone to impersonate James Bond and dub that over a random scene? Other than the sex scenes of course.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Updated Comic.

Famous last words there in panel #3, Mr. Wooster.

As for the last panel, a nice piece of levity there. Turns out people who operate train routes really ARE the same all over the world. Even the ones staffed by a religious order, apparently.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

What even is train oil that you get from a gift shop supposed to be?

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    Just regular oil you'd use for oiling door hinges, but about ten times the price because it's Corbettite (tm) branded?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

I notice the Beast sitting quietly behind Agatha. Has it already accepted its fate (and master)?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatosic View Post
    Can we get someone to impersonate James Bond and dub that over a random scene? Other than the sex scenes of course.
    "Bond, Brooke Bond" Those TV Chimps have been doing that for decades (or have they stopped now? I stopped watching TV many years ago).
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    It's obviously the oil you get from squeezing the juice from trains.

8. - Top - End - #158

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    "Bond, Brooke Bond" Those TV Chimps have been doing that for decades (or have they stopped now? I stopped watching TV many years ago).
    Probably, though I bet you can find it on YouTube. I don't think they'd ever do this quote though

9. - Top - End - #159

Uncolored early update.

Spoiler
    Show
    Paris, finally!

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

The background poster looks familiar but I can't place it. Something about the hair/accessory, I think...

So, how do they work this brand-new train on a brand-new rail, which is on a direct line from the hub fortress to Paris' local subway system, into the schedule?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

heh "Arr Rawr"

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

This bear speaks French! Without even trying!

Martellus isn't around causing trouble. Hopefully the invisible hand of the legendary smoke knights has been applied, again, and that condition will last until Agatha & Co. have a chance to get out of sight. And also hopefully the 'business' he was talking about isn't forcing an alliance on the Master of Paris so that the whole city becomes yet another trap for them.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The Master of Paris has been built up over time as one seriously powerful dude. Even Baron Wulfenbach at his height left the Master and the city alone, to the point of letting Gil go there to study. I can't imagine Martellus being able to 'force' the Master to do anything. He rules Paris absolutely, and can keep it safe already, and doesn't seem to be interested in gaining more territory, so there's not much the Storm King can offer him as incentive either.

Not that any of this will stop Martellus from trying, of course.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Huh. They actually made it to Paris relatively quickly. Even by non-GG standards. One side quest (or maybe two depending on how one wants to count it) that ultimately didn't take that long. Not bad at all.

Watch, they'll be stuck in the Paris Underground for a book and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The Master of Paris has been built up over time as one seriously powerful dude. Even Baron Wulfenbach at his height left the Master and the city alone, to the point of letting Gil go there to study. I can't imagine Martellus being able to 'force' the Master to do anything. He rules Paris absolutely, and can keep it safe already, and doesn't seem to be interested in gaining more territory, so there's not much the Storm King can offer him as incentive either.

From what we saw of the Master of Paris in the Othar Twitter stories, I'd reckon you're right.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-05-22 at 12:23 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

15. - Top - End - #165
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Wow. I never realised how massive this train was before--three storey carriages?

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

This bear is truly the greatest bear. As for Martellus, isn't he the guy closest to the "Douane" sign?

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Wow. I never realised how massive this train was before--three storey carriages?
    It only means you weren't paying attention :P The original appearance showed that the locomotive is easily the height of six monks, and we already could see three rows of windows on the carriages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    heh "Arr Rawr"
    That had me laughing far more than it should

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Question is, why is the Arc de Triomphe, built by Napoleon in the early 19th century, a thing in the GGverse? Also I don't think the Moulin Rouge ever was an actual windmill...
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

We have never known when GG takes place. I have sometimes suspected it takes place in the Twentieth Century.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Question is, why is the Arc de Triomphe, built by Napoleon in the early 19th century, a thing in the GGverse?
    Doesn't seem out of place to me. Everything about GG level of technology screams late industrial revolution as a base. Granted, sparkiness likely accelerated the timeline some, but even Phil has said
    But gaslamp fantasy is that kind of adventure... story pretty much unhampered by actual physical facts, or adheres to the physical facts that were known around the late 1800s....
    (straight off the front page of the GG wiki)

And, even if it was slightly out of place timewise, it is still one of the most architecturally iconic bits of Paris. The only places I can recall off the top of my head that might be more famous than the Arc are the Louvre (also listed in an ad), Notre Dame (which might exist, but given the cultural hints we've had of Paris in the story it likely isn't a very popular place), and the Eiffel Tower which would be even more out of place since it was built 80 years after the Arc.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post

Klaus was concerned with keeping the peace and protecting his empire. The Master wasn't a threat to either and in fact had similar concerns. So they got along.

Martellus wants control of Europa. He can't allow independent powers to exist; they either have to be allies or destroyed. The Master would be a prime target; in fact, maybe the biggest target after Gil. If he can force the Irish Pope to come on board - and the fact that he could suggests he's got cards he's not showing - he certainly WOULD try with the Master.

Agatha may have to throw a wrench in his plans, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    This bear is truly the greatest bear. As for Martellus, isn't he the guy closest to the "Douane" sign?
    Could be. I don't think we've ever seen him from the back before. There IS something odd about that man's left hand...

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post

Could be. I don't think we've ever seen him from the back before. There IS something odd about that man's left hand...
    He had to have it replaced near the beginning of the post-timeskip arcs right? Something to do with Agatha and that weasel, right?

23. - Top - End - #173

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    Doesn't seem out of place to me. Everything about GG level of technology screams late industrial revolution as a base. Granted, sparkiness likely accelerated the timeline some, but even Phil has said
    (straight off the front page of the GG wiki)

And, even if it was slightly out of place timewise, it is still one of the most architecturally iconic bits of Paris. The only places I can recall off the top of my head that might be more famous than the Arc are the Louvre (also listed in an ad), Notre Dame (which might exist, but given the cultural hints we've had of Paris in the story it likely isn't a very popular place), and the Eiffel Tower which would be even more out of place since it was built 80 years after the Arc.
    The way the GG universe works, the probably do have the Eiffel Tower. It's probably a gigantic clank ready to defend the city--or that attacked the city before being stopped and becoming a popular tourist spot (that Agatha will accidentally reactivate and send on a rampage. As it will boost souvenir sales, all will be forgiven).

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    The way the GG universe works, the probably do have the Eiffel Tower. It's probably a gigantic clank ready to defend the city--or that attacked the city before being stopped and becoming a popular tourist spot (that Agatha will accidentally reactivate and send on a rampage. As it will boost souvenir sales, all will be forgiven).
    fair point. Though it does seem somewhat reminiscent of Mr. Tock, and we all know how well that worked out.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    fair point. Though it does seem somewhat reminiscent of Mr. Tock, and we all know how well that worked out.
    It would probably be from the same era, like competing cathedrals. Paris has Monsieur Eiffel and famous croissants, Beetleburg has Mr. Tock and jam-filled "beetle" pastries. Try the beer.

26. - Top - End - #176

Seeing as Agatha's brother died in what is most likely 1873, and since Agatha - who was eighteen at the start of the comic - was born sometime around the time when he died, my personal headcanon is that the comic begins sometime in the early 1890s (possibly between 1892 and 1894, according to this unofficial timeline). Which would mean that, since we had a Timeskip of two and a half years, we'd currently be in late 1896 or so.

Also, this means that we're well enough advanced in the timeline to have both the Arc de Triomphe and the Eiffel Tower, hypothetically.

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

He had to have it replaced near the beginning of the post-timeskip arcs right? Something to do with Agatha and that weasel, right?
    That was a seperate issue, some bastard stuck a poisoned knife into the last hand he had.
    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...4#.VV9VKEY2-q4

And else, with color we can now see that it is indeed everyones favorite King, that are with them in Paris.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    The background poster looks familiar but I can't place it. Something about the hair/accessory, I think...
    The uncolored version reminded me of this: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...0#.VV9ZoUYgg6w
    The colored one, not so much.

And I bet the Eiffel Tower is one giant Tesla Coil.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Someone was going to use it to blow up or call down the Moon, obviously.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Nothing like Red Alert 2 flashbacks.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.