New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: If you had to worship one god of the Northern pantheon....

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    In the myths, Sif originally had golden hair, but then it all had to be sheared off because of one of Odin's many bad bets (it's probably a metaphor for reaping grain, as she's a grain goddess). And then no more hair would grow, so they had to have Loki trick the dwarves into making her some magic hair (but the dwarves made it out of iron, rather than gold, so it's now black).

Really, it is amazing how often in Norse myth you run into the plot Odin/Thor does something stupid, Loki has to pull their chestnuts out of the fire. Maybe I should read up on Slavic mythology and see if there's the same deal going on with Perrin and Valaz.

Anyway, on topic, I'd really rather not do it, but because of how long my family's made our living sailing the seven seas I probably have some kind of ancestral blood oath to serve Njord.
    Uhm... no. Just No. That is not how the myth goes.

A) She does not loose her original hair because of a Odin bet, but just because of Loki felt like shaving her while she slept. Thor was not pleased. This forces a bet situation which leads to the creation of a series of objects.

B) Long story short: Sif got her gold hair as part of the deal, before it was just "golden" (that is the colour of gold). Where you got the iron from I don't know. It is in no myth.

C) While it is true that Odin and/or Thor often does "something stupid", it is mostly Loki who causes trouble. In this case as well as others. In this one he starts it, tries to cheat and end up with his mouth sewn together.
    Last edited by Tobtor; 2015-08-30 at 11:36 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Enran View Post
    According to strip 999, Balder is neither god of light nor goddess of beauty, but god of beauty.
    I should have looked back a strip. Thanks, Enran.

This changes my vote. Give me Thor, with a side order of Balder (for the priestesses).
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    I should have looked back a strip. Thanks, Enran.

This changes my vote. Give me Thor, with a side order of Balder (for the priestesses).
    You DO realize that those oh so charismatic priestesses of Balder are getting Eagle's Splendor as a domain spell, and just SEEM to look like they always appear on TV?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    You DO realize that those oh so charismatic priestesses of Balder are getting Eagle's Splendor as a domain spell, and just SEEM to look like they always appear on TV?
    You do realize that eagle's Splendor as written doesn't affect appearance and that it only lasts 1 miniute per caster level, and i don't think the average priestess would be all at high level 10 max maybe which i think gets her less than 3 hours of eagles splendor if she fills all her spell slots?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

Looks at signature...umm Loki.

As for why, well, he's honest in his deceit. Actually, it's mostly I found him the most interesting the moment I read Norse mythology.
    Minister of sarcasm and pragmatism of the Grayview fanclub.

No, none of us were altering the unimutable laws of physics. That would be wrong.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

I have a question about Odin, do I actually have to poke an eye out, or just wearing an eyepatch would surfice?

If the eye is in the line, Thor, otherwise Odin.

Although Sunna doesn't sound bad either, I just can't hate a god that says "nuke it from orbit".
    Last edited by Veya; 2015-08-30 at 05:10 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TerrickTerran View Post
    Looks at signature...umm Loki.

As for why, well, he's honest in his deceit. Actually, it's mostly I found him the most interesting the moment I read Norse mythology.
    Loki is decently Chaotic. Plus a god that says "screw you guys" is decently humanlike.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-09-11 at 10:10 AM.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tobtor View Post
    Uhm... no. Just No. That is not how the myth goes.

A) She does not loose her original hair because of a Odin bet, but just because of Loki felt like shaving her while she slept. Thor was not pleased. This forces a bet situation which leads to the creation of a series of objects.

B) Long story short: Sif got her gold hair as part of the deal, before it was just "golden" (that is the colour of gold). Where you got the iron from I don't know. It is in no myth.

C) While it is true that Odin and/or Thor often does "something stupid", it is mostly Loki who causes trouble. In this case as well as others. In this one he starts it, tries to cheat and end up with his mouth sewn together.
    Maybe it should be mentioned that while Loki clearly started this he got a ship, a spear and a hammer for his fellow gods (and of course Sif’s golden wig, that could grow like real hair) with this little stunt.

That being said my choice would be Loki, god of fire, chaos and trolling.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Odin all the way. Magic is cool, and I want me a raven.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Definitely Loki. I like him, and he's the perfect example of how evil doesn't always mean bad. Also, his argument made a lot of sense to me.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Going by the looks of the priests Fenrir and Skadi seem to be the coolest gods. Too bad they both vote in favor of killing me (a hypothetical me that lives in that world and wants to serve as a priest). You can't even worship the god of the sea without getting killed gruesomely. And at that point you might as well skip the gods and do that those temple builders did, just be a cleric of the sea itself. Given only the northern pantheon as options Sif seems like a dependable choice. Everything about that priestess seems to say "I Sif am not doing anything stupid anytime soon", which is a good quality in a god or anyone with way too much power. I like earth anyway, some of my best friends live on it. (Also: yeah yeah, my own argument, half a post ago...)
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2015-08-31 at 02:06 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I say loki. He so far is the most hilarious of the gods and I really like people who are funny. Plus a temple for a trickster god probably would not get boring.
    Last edited by sadeyes111; 2015-08-31 at 06:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Well, all the possible puns I can make with these gods' names are driving me to Tyr's.

15. - Top - End - #45

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssStalker View Post
    Well, all the possible puns I can make with these gods' names are driving me to Tyr's.
    Better keep the puns low key, or else your sides will be Thor...

On topic, it really depends on their stated dogma/expected behaviors. I'd probably go with Thor or Loki on general principles (They're generally the ones who deal with mortals the best in other mythos, and sometimes Loki's closer to CN than CE).

16. - Top - End - #46

Heimdall. I'm cautious to the point of paranoia.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    heimdall. I'm cautious to the point of paranoia.
    They all know where you live.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2015-08-31 at 08:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

SamuraiGuy

Even his cool name notwithstanding, Vafthrundir seems like a pretty awesome deity with a lot of great knowledge. From what I recall in the myths, he was also one of the few giants with a brain, who matched wits pretty well with Odin himself. And his high priest has a stylish look as well. Second places goes to Tyr, whose priest has pretty boss armor.
    Last edited by jidasfire; 2015-09-01 at 12:28 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Veya View Post
    I have a question about Odin, do I actually have to poke an eye out, or just wearing an eyepatch would surfice?
    As I intepret it you only have to poke your eye out when you get to be High Priest. I guess it's to discourage people seeking high clerical power for the sake of ambition rather than the love of their god.

Proof: All the clerics of Hodor where blindfolds when on duty, except for the High Priestess, who is blind.

Anyway for the purposes of this thread, assme that 's the way it work. Fake it, till you top it.
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2015-09-01 at 12:59 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

I tallied up the votes for those posts where I could discern an unambiguous vote. This was surprisingly subjective. Bodily modifications were assumed to be not required.

Votes
    Balder 1
    Fenrir 1
    Freya 0
    Freyr 1
    Frigg 1
    Heimdall 1
    Hel 2
    Hodor 0
    Loki 5
    Mani 0
    Njord 1
    Odin 5
    Sif 2
    Skadi 1
    Sunna 0
    Thor 1
    Tyr 1
    Vafthrudnir 2
    Total 25
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2015-09-01 at 02:08 PM. Reason: error

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    snip
    Add 1 for Frigg. I was torn between her, Odin and Loki.

22. - Top - End - #52

OldWizardGuy

Loki? OK, he seems like he'd be a fun guy to party with.... but also in a self-centered irresponsible way. You'd wake up hungover and discover he'd already fenced your TV. Add godly powers to that scenario, and, ugh, no.

Thor: also fun to party with. Would break your TV by accident, but feel really bad about it.

Hel? Seriously?? Whiny, vindictive. Would use you to buy drugs for her, then cut out on you, leaving you to carry the can when trouble arrived.

Freya, Freyr: probably have fun without wrecking your stuff... But Freyr would be trying to get a game of poker going (you'd lose) and be jabbering about needing to spend money to make money, and Freya would be off with someone else leaving you to raise the children.

Fenrir: not unless you were happy being the chief lackey for the school bully.

Skadi: ok if you like wilderness camping, I'm more of a city dweller.

Sif: is the earth goddes thing about farming? If so, see Skadi above.

Njord: i can't swim.

Frigg, Odin. I'm a bookworm, so there's an appeal. They don't seem much fun, though.

Sunna, Hodor, Mani, Vafthrudnir Not enough info to tell (intentionally I guess in the latter case).

Balder: good looking but dumb? Not really my type.

Heimdall: wow, really seems dull.

Tyr: I'm not really the martial type.

So I guess, Odin or Frigg is my best choice...
    Geez, what is it with that guy and needing to figure out all the fiddly little details?

I know, right? It's called "Suspension of Disbelief"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    Some speculation turns out to be accurate, some doesn't. I'll deal with it the same way I deal with all other speculative theories I read and/or come up with: by continuing to read the comic, and enjoying it whether the speculation turns out to be right or wrong.
    Spoiler: Can I have an internet?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by DeliaP View Post
    So I guess, Odin or Frigg is my best choice...
    So no vote for you them. ;-) Unless you narrow it down a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by DeliaP View Post
    Sunna, Hodor, Mani, Vafthrudnir Not enough info to tell (intentionally I guess in the latter case).
    That surprises me a bit actually. We had quite a good look at a temple of Hodor and Mani's reasoning leaves me feeling so cold.
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2015-09-01 at 02:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    So no vote for you them. ;-) Unless you narrow it down a bit more.

That surprises me a bit actually. We had quite a good look at a temple of Hodor and Mani's reasoning leaves me feeling so cold.
    Fair enough: Odin.... because Magic!

And you're right about Mani's reasons being pretty lazy about such an important thing. That's not inspiring confidence that he'd be any use for anything else....

But even though we saw Hodor's temple, i didn't get any feel for what he was about - except wearing blindfolds....
    Geez, what is it with that guy and needing to figure out all the fiddly little details?

I know, right? It's called "Suspension of Disbelief"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    Some speculation turns out to be accurate, some doesn't. I'll deal with it the same way I deal with all other speculative theories I read and/or come up with: by continuing to read the comic, and enjoying it whether the speculation turns out to be right or wrong.
    Spoiler: Can I have an internet?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'd probably choose Odin. I value wisdom a great deal, and although Frigg is the one with wisdom in her (his?) portfolio, Odin seems more farsighted - and is also more powerful, which gives him more legitimacy as an object of worship in my opinion. He also has a sense of fun, as he apparently likes puppets.

I really like Thor, too, particularly given the fact that he expressed a more inspiring reason to save the world than any other god(dess). He seems to genuinely care about mortals, which is refreshing. But I'm not really the physical type or the drunken partying type, so I doubt I'd be a great fit as a worshipper.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2015-09-02 at 01:23 AM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

26. - Top - End - #56

Currently Odin is clearly King of Northern Pantheon with Loki a popular second. Thor is most people's second favourite god which is not tracked. Currently Freya, Hodor, Mani and Sunna are not getting anybody's preayers. I've copied the table to the first post.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'll pick thor or freya, simply because, from the reasons they express in the vote, they appear to be the only ones who do give a damn about their followers. make it thor, his reasoning seems the best one.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    All metaphysical concepts are reduced to "Do I hit it, eat it, drink it, or make love to it?"
    Sounds like Schlock: "Eat it, kill it, make friends with it or take a bath in it -- those are the marks on your moral compass.."

To answer the poll question, the answer is very simple: I would probably be an atheist. (Because none of them are worthy of worship.)
    Last edited by Windscion; 2015-09-02 at 10:36 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Sounds like Schlock: "Eat it, kill it, make friends with it or take a bath in it -- those are the marks on your moral compass.."

To answer the poll question, the answer is very simple: I would probably be an atheist. (Because none of them are worthy of worship.)
    That wouldn't be atheistic, though; that would just be nonreligious.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

30. - Top - End - #60

DwarfFighterGuy

Thor, obviously. Drinking and fighting and goodness.