New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: D&D 5th Edition XII: Peasant Militias Can Defeat Smartphones?

This is the last full page, so should we start thinking about a new thread?

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

D&D 5th Edition XIII: The Mearlspocolypse!
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Bugbear in the Playground

D&D 5th Edition XIII: You can't have Combat AND Investigating, pffft~!

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    I'm saying that I don't see why having things like "push X" and "ongoing fire Y" as standardized monster abilities is perfectly fine but having things like "swallow whole" and "improved grab" as standardized monster ability requires too much system mastery of poor overworked DMs.
    Precisely.

Aside from that, it's also a feature to standardize things while still spelling them out in the stat block. If several monsters have an identically-named ability, then it should also work in the same way, except with a higher to-hit bonus if needed. Instead, we get nonsense like five monsters having an "evil eye" ability that does something different every time. And, indeed, wizards having half a dozen "close burst fire" attacks that just act slightly differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
    Bounded accuracy is now key. Low level monsters will still be a relative threat to high level characters (when used in larger numbers).
    It also means that any skill-related task can be succeeded at by a level-1 character, and any such task can be failed by a level-20 character. There's nothing so easy that you can ever master it to not requiring a roll, nor is there ever something so hard that you cannot do it without training. Except by DM fiat / Oberoni fallacy, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by lesser_minion View Post
    "An inherently unfinished product".
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm being partly facetious. I'm saying that I don't see why having things like "push X" and "ongoing fire Y" as standardized monster abilities is perfectly fine but having things like "swallow whole" and "improved grab" as standardized monster ability requires too much system mastery of poor overworked DMs.
    It's adding overhead. In your Fireball example, the DM needs to know what long range, radius 4 spread, instant, and reflex half mean and what a Fireball is. Having Fireball standardized doesn't save them anything, they need to know about saving for half whether they're dealing with a standardized effect or not.
    Fireball
    Evocation [Fire]

Sor/Wiz 3; V, S, M
    Range Long Area radius 4 spread Duration Instant
    Saving Throw Reflex half
    Each creature and unattended object in the area takes 1d6/CL fire damage (maximum 10d6). The explosion creates no pressure, and a ranged touch attack is required to launch the fireball through an opening less than a few inches wide.

...assuming you have standardized rules for what fire does, what Long range is, what spells allow SR, etc., which you should have anyway. Straightforward spells like this are easy to remember and easy to reference, and it's faster and cleaner to give a monster a "radius 6 fireball" or a "11d6 damage fireball" or the like than to rewrite everything or come up with some minor variation on the spell for no good reason.
    How much alteration makes for a good reason to name a new spell? I think we can agree that if we end up writing "short range radius 6 no save 11d6 acid damage fireball" that we haven't actually gained anything by standardization. But no single change in there is worth building a whole new spell for. If we just build short and long range single and area target spells for each of the fire, cold, lightning, and acid damage types, that's 16 separate spells just to get our basic blasting underway. And remember, that's 16 things above and beyond the basics of what the mechanics mean, which are required knowledge whether the spells are standardized or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Aside from that, it's also a feature to standardize things while still spelling them out in the stat block.
    I was under the impression that the point of standardization was to make stat blocks smaller. If the information is always present, I've got no beef with it being standardized.
    Ashdate made a statement that was getting some traction a while back:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashdate View Post
    Maybe logic will be added as an optional module in the finished product?

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Banned

Precisely.

Aside from that, it's also a feature to standardize things while still spelling them out in the stat block. If several monsters have an identically-named ability, then it should also work in the same way, except with a higher to-hit bonus if needed. Instead, we get nonsense like five monsters having an "evil eye" ability that does something different every time. And, indeed, wizards having half a dozen "close burst fire" attacks that just act slightly differently.
    Yes. While I understand the concept 3e used, I think there is, for once, a middle ground that makes everyone happy.

I like it. Snark aside, it's very apt: D&D is nothing without the human element, which completes it. Even if we all argue for different human elements to be the right ones.

7. - Top - End - #1447

I like it. I wonder why that is?
    Things to avoid:

"Let us tell the story of a certain man. The tale of a man who, more than anyone else, believed in his ideals, and by them was driven into despair."

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Here's one more vote for "an inherently unfinished product".

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I like it. Snark aside, it's very apt: D&D is nothing without the human element, which completes it. Even if we all argue for different human elements to be the right ones.
    True. And after all, if we all agreed, where would the fun be?

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Troll in the Playground

Another vote for vote for "an inherently unfinished product".
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Titan in the Playground

I still like the "logic will be added as an optional module in the finished product" idea from some pages ago.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I'm kind of in favour of the "maybe logic will be added as an optional module" one myself.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    I was under the impression that the point of standardization was to make stat blocks smaller. If the information is always present, I've got no beef with it being standardized.
    The point of standardization is to make things easier to remember, which makes combat faster to run.

Take a look at Magic cards: they'll say things like "Flying (cannot be blocked by non-flying creatures)". This is spelled out, so it's useful for beginning players; but it's also standardized, which means that advanced players can stop reading after the word "flying".
    Similarly, a D&D creature could read "Pack tactics (+1 to hit for each ally adjacent to the target)" and then use this for multiple creatures. What 4E is doing wrong is that they would give "pack tactics" a different effect on other creatures. One of the earlier playtests of 5E said that Turn Undead would have its effects spelled out in each undead creature and they could be different for each; that is completely missing the point of centralized design.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

13. - Top - End - #1453

I think the logic title is way too long, myself. XD
    Things to avoid:

"Let us tell the story of a certain man. The tale of a man who, more than anyone else, believed in his ideals, and by them was driven into despair."

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Titan in the Playground

Can we not have a truly negative title again? Let's do something happy for once.
    DMing:

15. - Top - End - #1455

Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
    Can we not have a truly negative title again? Let's do something happy for once.
    Inherently unfinished isn't truly negative, it's a statement of fact. The playtest is inherently incomplete.
    Things to avoid:

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raineh Daze View Post
    Inherently unfinished isn't truly negative, it's a statement of fact. The playtest is inherently incomplete.
    I suppose, it just feels negative. I'd rather see something more positive or funny (like the current title).
    DMing:

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. Also, it makes way more sense than the current title. I don't think random non-sequiturs are inherently funny, nor do they make good thread titles.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. Also, it makes way more sense than the current title. I don't think random non-sequiturs are inherently funny, nor do they make good thread titles.
    Why not just call it "Thread 13"?
    DMing:

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Firbolg in the Playground

Way back around page 35 or so, someone suggested "Logic is an optional module?", I liked that.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm being partly facetious. I'm saying that I don't see why having things like "push X" and "ongoing fire Y" as standardized monster abilities is perfectly fine but having things like "swallow whole" and "improved grab" as standardized monster ability requires too much system mastery of poor overworked DMs. I'm not asking for every monster to have two dozen complex SLAs listed in their entry, but giving monsters more than 4-5 abilities and having most of them be shared abilities would be nice.
    It simply is more overhead. Push X and Ongoing Fire X are the entirety of the rule; there's nothing you need to look up for either, once you know the basic vocabulary of the game. Improved Grab, OTOH, gets you into the morass of grappling along with the exceptions for where it's different from your normal grapple. Swallow Whole is likewise an entire separate subsystem ("muscular action" lol) that requires reference.

And as I've mentioned before, individual power/spell blocks are much more bloated than they need to be. The standard 3e fireball stat block looks pretty hefty, but really it's no more than:

Fireball
    Evocation [Fire]

Sor/Wiz 3; V, S, M
    Saving Throw Reflex half
    Each creature and unattended object in the area takes 1d6/CL fire damage (maximum 10d6). The explosion creates no pressure, and a ranged touch attack is required to launch the fireball through an opening less than a few inches wide.

...assuming you have standardized rules for what fire does, what Long range is, what spells allow SR, etc., which you should have anyway. Straightforward spells like this are easy to remember and easy to reference, and it's faster and cleaner to give a monster a "radius 6 fireball" or a "11d6 damage fireball" or the like than to rewrite everything or come up with some minor variation on the spell for no good reason.
    ...Or how about something even more concise that doesn't need to leverage a separate fireball spell. Say, "Area Burst 8 in 30, 11d6 damage, Save: Half, sets crap on fire"?

So you have 5 kinds of orc instead of 1. If you're fighting a lot of orcs, or if you fight orcs over the course of several campaigns, they still become very repetitive.
    ...as opposed to what, exactly, in pre-4e D&D?

3e monster "races" (humanoids and other low-LA critters) had the saving grace of open multiclassing: you didn't need a separate orc chieftain, orc shaman, orc berserker, orc scout, etc. entry because you could just add a level or two of fighter, druid, barbarian, rogue, etc. to the basic humanoid. Other monsters generally have a good handful of abilities (the carrion crawler is something of a "puzzle monster" that's there to drop on PCs, paralyze them, and kill them, but even it has scent+Track, paralyzing tentacles, and Combat Reflexes as options) or have one or two fairly complex or unique abilities (c.f. the chaos beast's 4-paragraph Corporeal Instability and Transmutation immunity). 3e monsters aren't nearly as cookie-cutter as you're making them out to be.
    Statting up monsters as PCs is not a saving grace. It's a ridiculous amount of overhead to give your monster a few more hit points and Rage.

Because reskinning is easy in any game (it's touted as a strength of 4e mostly because you had to reskin at the start of the edition to cover lots of the monsters left out of MM1, I think, the same way it was a "feature" that you could reskin your warlord and cleric as the missing bard or druid) and the "easy modifications" are things a newbie DM can come up with (adding one of the same half-dozen keywords used by every other power isn't particularly innovative or difficult). "Precise, simple, standard game language" is one of the exact things I'm arguing for, so you'll find no argument from me except to say that 4e is simple and precise but not standardized enough.
    Standardization is unnecessary when every single ability in the game is spelled out in clear, precise language. Standardization gives precisely zero benefit, apart from appealing to OCD-level simulation.

You're right that it's up to the DM to bring statblocks to life, which is why I advocate making those mechanics as unified, straightforward, and memorable as possible. 4e already statted up most character powers as collections of existing keywords with the occasional more unique power thrown in to stand out, then they made every monster a special snowflake when a DM has to learn more mechanics in a shorter time and handle more mechanics at once than a player does, which seems like a fairly backwards approach.
    Everything is spelled out. My prep work for an encounter is checking out the monster stat blocks and seeing exactly what they say, without reference to anything outside the stat block.

Past about 4th or 5th level in 3e, my prep work was to read up on overlong spell descriptions, most of which I'd never turn out using, and have the SRD open to read the 3-paragraph spells in the middle of combat.

You can guess which one I think is superior.

-O

21. - Top - End - #1461

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Standardization is unnecessary when every single ability in the game is spelled out in clear, precise language. Standardization gives precisely zero benefit, apart from appealing to OCD-level simulation.
    Does this extend to disagreeing with the idea that every ability with the same name should have the same effect and function the same way?
    Things to avoid:

22. - Top - End - #1462

Quote Originally Posted by Moreb Benhk View Post
    It was a lot more uphill work to bring monsters to life though. There are only so many things you can do with the same old damage+push/pull/slide enemy (for example) that is pretty much coming out the ears of most 4e monsters.
    Bwuh? "There are only so many things you can do with damage + forced movement"? Possibly so. But it's a strict superset of the things you can do with just damage on its own

I'm being partly facetious. I'm saying that I don't see why having things like "push X" and "ongoing fire Y" as standardized monster abilities is perfectly fine but having things like "swallow whole" and "improved grab" as standardized monster ability requires too much system mastery of poor overworked DMs.
    Apples to oranges comparison. Push and Ongoing are standard game effects not tied to any specific condition and there is nothing you need to look up. They say exactly what they do - and there will be PCs who can do that. You will be using forced movement and ongoing damage almost every fight. (I'd bet on one of the three types of forced movement multiple times per fight, and ongoing damage at least one fight in two). If you don't know the meanings of "Push" "Pull", "Slide" and "Ongoing damage" you arguably don't know the rules of 4e. Because these things come up routinely.

How many PCs have you ever seen with the Swallow Whole ability? I'm prepared to bet that the average table never sees PCs use Swallow Whole. How often do you use the Swallow Whole ability? I'd be surprised if it's once every four sessions.

So you are literally comparing something you might use once in every four sessions and almost invariably from the DM side of the screen to something used almost every fight. And you're claiming that the DM overhead on learning both is about equal. Right.

As for Improved Grab, how often do you wade into the multi-step mess that is the grapple rules? But the thing about Improved Grab is that learning it is almost redundant. You just put under Standard Attacks: "If it hits a creature one size category smaller, this monster may immediately roll to start a grapple." Only a handful of words - but nothing to learn.

And as I've mentioned before, individual power/spell blocks are much more bloated than they need to be. The standard 3e fireball stat block looks pretty hefty, but really it's no more than:

Fireball
    Evocation [Fire]

Sor/Wiz 3; V, S, M
    Saving Throw Reflex half

...assuming you have standardized rules for what fire does, what Long range is, what spells allow SR, etc., which you should have anyway.
    Actually 3e Fireball is more than that - but that would be an objective improvement on the fireball that can melt lead.

Straightforward spells like this are easy to remember and easy to reference, and it's faster and cleaner to give a monster a "radius 6 fireball" or a "11d6 damage fireball" or the like than to rewrite everything or come up with some minor variation on the spell for no good reason.
    Not everyone finds it easy to remember numbers like that. And I want to know which spells you would put in such a core of the game.

So you have 5 kinds of orc instead of 1. If you're fighting a lot of orcs, or if you fight orcs over the course of several campaigns, they still become very repetitive.
    Indeed. There are ten different pairs of orcs and a further ten different sets of three orcs. Add in the single type of orc and you have twenty five distinct combinations there. They will eventually become very repetative but it takes twenty five times as long to get as used to the combinations as it would the single orcs.

3e monster "races" (humanoids and other low-LA critters) had the saving grace of open multiclassing:
    That wasn't a grace. It was a curse. It meant that monsters took as long to build as PCs. It meant that monsters were very cookie-cutter because you forced them into only a limited set of archetypes. It meant that an orc beserker was largely indistinguishable from a human one, breaking down the diversity. And above all it cramped DMs rather than just allowing them to give whatever they thought the monster should do as abilities to that monster.

Because reskinning is easy in any game (it's touted as a strength of 4e mostly because you had to reskin at the start of the edition to cover lots of the monsters left out of MM1
    Nope. It's touted as a feature of 4e because 4e uses a consistent level of zoom. You can not reskin Detect Thoughts from a wizard or bard as anything other than a spell because it would take minor house rules such as getting rid of the pun-focus ("a penny for your thoughts") and changing the interaction between Detect Thoughts and Dispel Magic. And the pervasiveness of the Gygaxo-Vancian magic system.

On the other hand 4e zooms to a consistent level and concentrates on the outcomes not the inputs. It doesn't have such fiddly nonsense embedded into the rules and just tells you what happens, allowing you to pick how. There isn't the anti-reskinning "This is a Spell. This is a Spell Like Ability. This is a Supernatural Ability. This is an Extraordinary Ability. This is an Ordinary Ability." In 4e there are just abilities so you can say how you want them to take effect.

You're right that it's up to the DM to bring statblocks to life, which is why I advocate making those mechanics as unified, straightforward, and memorable as possible. 4e already statted up most character powers as collections of existing keywords with the occasional more unique power thrown in to stand out, then they made every monster a special snowflake when a DM has to learn more mechanics in a shorter time and handle more mechanics at once than a player does, which seems like a fairly backwards approach.
    But you don't have to learn the monster mechanics. You just have to read them. And unlike any previous edition the mechanics are right there in front of you.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Ettin in the Playground

Does this extend to disagreeing with the idea that every ability with the same name should have the same effect and function the same way?
    I don't think it's at all necessary, and I see no beneift to it.

I don't find it offensive or whatever, except insofar as it constrains the DM's flexibility to a specific pre-set list of "stuff monsters can do." Like, if I want a monster to hurl a ball of fire, there's no good reason every single monster hurling balls of fire should be throwing 20' diameter ones, 1d6/level up to 10, etc. Putting the "ball of fire" into simple terms dictating range, area, damage, type of attack/save, etc. and putting those right in stat blocks is hardly onerous.

There's only so many ways to say "fireball," you see. If you decide that the word "fireball" must correspond with these specific rules tokens on a simulation level, that's worse than useless, IMO.

-O

24. - Top - End - #1464

ClericGuy

I want to voice my agreement for agreement for pretty much everything Obryn and neonchameleon said. If there's anything that should be taken out of 4e design (and I think there are plenty of things), monster design is #1 with a bullet.

I can't think of anything being more objectionably worse than being required to look up what a spell/ability does in another book in order to properly run a monster. If you can't describe what an effect does in a monster's stat block (save for very common terminology. "Push 2" is common terminology; "magic missile" is not), then it's too complicated.

If every fireball acting like every other fireball is that critical to one's enjoyment of the system - and I'm not convinced it is - then by all means, give monsters abilities called fireball that have the range, damage, and notable effects spells out in the monster's stat block pre-calculated. But don't make me look it up somewhere else.
    Last edited by Ashdate; 2013-08-17 at 02:41 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Titan in the Playground

There are valid points on both sides. On the one hand, I agree that it's incredibly obnoxious to have to look up the details of spell-like abilities every time. On the other, it's also silly to have five different Evil Eye abilities and a thousand different "damage Y and push X" abilities.

But the two ideas are not exclusive. You can have a monster with standard Swallow Whole and Improved Grab abilities. Present a 4e style snippet statblock for experienced DMs, and include the full text of relevant abilities below.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Colossus in the Playground

I don't see the problem with having different names for different abilities. If you want your Improved Grab to grab things of a larger size than normal, call it Superior Improved Grab or Advanced Improved Grab or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

27. - Top - End - #1467

PirateGuy

Super Bonus Ultra Better Advanced Improved Grab.
    Now with half the calories!

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    Super Bonus Ultra Better Advanced Improved Grab.
    Take a look at the names for display resolutions, which feature gems like Wide Quad Extended Graphics Array Plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Take a look at the names for display resolutions, which feature gems like Wide Quad Extended Graphics Array Plus.
    Is that really the sort of thing we want to be drawing inspiration from for our ability names? Right down to "video graphics adapter" actually being better than "enhanced graphics adapter"?

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Titan in the Playground

Is that really the sort of thing we want to be drawing inspiration from for our ability names? Right down to "video graphics adapter" actually being better than "enhanced graphics adapter"?
    Oh, the last edition of the game started out with feat names like "Orange Lizard Expert" (basically adlibs of <color> <creature> <synonym of 'master'>), until the fandom revolted against that...