New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments

I'm not sure myself whether the quote should be included, but I should note that subsection 2) under rule b) may allow for the quote if agreed by consensus.

Will try to make an update soon - likely to be a big one with the shortened post tags etc.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #692
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    Well, I'm not trying to paint that as some horrifying dystopian Terminator-world where we're all hunted by squads of cybernetic thumb assassins.
    If I had a signature on these forums...

3. - Top - End - #693
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post
    If I had a signature on these forums...
    Wait, why don't you

4. - Top - End - #694
    Banned

Daemon

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    No he doesn't... note his use of the word may.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

He only says that he may do so. Not that he has any definite plans to do so.

I don't think that is really relevant, or worth including.

However, the comments about use of PG-13 language in comic strips might be worth including.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    He only says that he may do so. Not that he has any definite plans to do so.

I don't think that is really relevant, or worth including.

However, the comments about use of PG-13 language in comic strips might be worth including.
    In addition, I think his commentary about art sometimes needing to offend is also worthwhile. The point about rampant murder being OK while a four-letter word is not is an interesting statement, in my opinion.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. The Giant said that he may do a less family-friendly story... four years ago. It's not relevant information at all. The statement about swearwords in art might be, though.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ogre in the Playground

As a small side note, I love how the quoted poster in Rich's statement later in the same thread complains that Rich should put a warning on the comics with strong language so the poster doesn't have to get into trouble for reading webcomics at work.

EDIT: Oh, and have these been posted? Rich is not going to open an overseas distribution center and donations are never going to happen, end of story.
    Last edited by Cizak; 2013-05-19 at 11:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ogre in the Playground

Apologies for the delay - just updated the Index with theangelJean's post tags (thanks!!) and will sort through the quotes soon (have to figure out which ones we decided to include and which ones we didn't).

11. - Top - End - #701
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    Apologies for the delay - just updated the Index with theangelJean's post tags (thanks!!) and will sort through the quotes soon (have to figure out which ones we decided to include and which ones we didn't).
    Yay! I just hope I didn't make more work for you.

Also, I don't envy you having to go through all the quotes since the last update. I'm not even sure how many have been called into question any more, much less if we reached consensus on any of them. For example, the one that Windstruck posted (on this page of the thread) - it was posted in this thread when it first came out, which is since the last update, but I'm not sure if it was one of the ones we thought was superseded by the "definitive" one (and I think it covers specific other information too). Any chance you could post the "iffy" ones so we could have a better idea what we're deciding?

Or you could make the decisions yourself, of course :)
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Someone could say that this is a public forum.
    Others could say that this is the Giant's forum on his website.

He shared information. That is one part.
    Discussing that information is another part.
    And including such quotes could lead some people that discussing them would be a good idea, which could easily touch topics that are against the Forum Rules, so it is better to err on the side of caution.

I don't think that all the recent quotes are bad, but some of them like the details on his injury leads to a topic I wouldn't discuss, so I think it is better to keep them of the index for that reason. Other quotes (like the Kickstarter reward delay) I think are fine.
    This is the Internet; in 2013 we need to disavow ourselves of the notion that anything posted on the Internet is in any way private or anonymous. Pretty much by definition, anything you post there is public information. The Giant knows this, so he wouldn't have posted the information if he didn't want his readers to have it--probably because he's tired of people blindly speculating about his thumb and other personal business.

I also wouldn't discuss Rich's injury... which actually leads me to believe that quote SHOULD be included, to bang home the fact that there is really nothing to discuss.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Colossus in the Playground

Actually, if anyone knows where to find one, I would be all in favor of digging up and linking to an olllddd comment by Rich to the effect of "I would prefer not to discuss my health here."

It certainly comes up regularly.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel_Token View Post
    This is the Internet; in 2013 we need to disavow ourselves of the notion that anything posted on the Internet is in any way private or anonymous. Pretty much by definition, anything you post there is public information. The Giant knows this, so he wouldn't have posted the information if he didn't want his readers to have it--probably because he's tired of people blindly speculating about his thumb and other personal business.

I also wouldn't discuss Rich's injury... which actually leads me to believe that quote SHOULD be included, to bang home the fact that there is really nothing to discuss.
    I haven't said that we should to try to "hide" these posts or to eliminate those information he shared (and I know we wouldn't be able to, it is quite possible that nobody would be able to do that). But since this is Rich's forum, we are bound by his rules, and so the thread should try to encourage that. (Saying "This is the Internet" is no excuse for any behaviour against the forum rules)

But there are enough examples of public information that are against the forum rules. I know that most of the posts are not directly on topics that are against the forum rules, but could very easily lead to such things. If we choose to include them, I think best would be some sort of additional disclaimer.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

15. - Top - End - #705
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    I haven't said that we should to try to "hide" these posts or to eliminate those information he shared (and I know we wouldn't be able to, it is quite possible that nobody would be able to do that). But since this is Rich's forum, we are bound by his rules, and so the thread should try to encourage that. (Saying "This is the Internet" is no excuse for any behaviour against the forum rules)

But there are enough examples of public information that are against the forum rules. I know that most of the posts are not directly on topics that are against the forum rules, but could very easily lead to such things. If we choose to include them, I think best would be some sort of additional disclaimer.
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean "This is the Internet" as an excuse to do anything against the rules, I simply meant that if he is posting the information he is aware that it becomes available for public consumption; if he is doing that he is doing it for a reason. We can reasonably assume that he shared this information because he wanted fans to be aware of his situation with the intent to definitively end the discussion so that people would stop bringing up the same stupid threads or comments about his health. As this thread serves, in part, as an archive where people can find Rich's definitive answers on topics he doesn't want to people to discuss any further, it would seem to be in the spirit of the thread to archive this message so that he doesn't find himself having to repeat himself when someone invariably starts a similar thread next month.

I appreciate that this is a sensitive topic; again, the intent in my view is not to encourage discussion about forbidden topics, but rather to show clearly that there is nothing to discuss
    Last edited by Squirrel_Token; 2013-05-20 at 01:04 PM.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I believe the information should be linked. It is not private information. Rich posted this information publicly on a public bulletin board. Therefore it is something he wants the world to know and should be common knowledge. It is also a question that comes up frequently, and it may save Rich some aggravation and time if the questions are linked with answers rather than having them pop up again and again. Heck, the mods could even sticky this thread and make a new rule saying "Before you ask something like X, please review this thread first."

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

I am against including quotes about Rich's health, for two reasons:

1) They are not really about OotS

and more importantly:

2) The topic is not up for discussion.

The information might be public, but so is the update schedule of the comic. That doesn't mean it is an appropriate topic for the forums. Since rules (b) and (c) clearly point out the requirements for a quote to be included, and these type of comments don't match either, I say drop 'em.

As to the mods stickying the thread, I find it extremely unlikely this will happen (they have rejected the idea in the past), and in the particular case of Rich's health, they are not going to tell a forum member to read through this thread, they are going to tell him to stay away from the topic altogether.

Yes, Rich can post about it because he is the Forum Owner. He also can post about comic update schedules. That is unrelated to what we are allowed to talk about. Since this a thread to collect quotes to help us talk about the comic, quotes about verbotten topics do not belong here.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with Grey_Wolf_c. The rules for quote inclusion state: "This excludes GiTP forum rules, updates, or general information. That is for the admins and mods to publicize and spread word about, not this index." Stuff like "don't talk about the update schedule" and "don't talk about Rich's health" fall in this category. That information is for the mods or Rich to publicize as they see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Any chance you could post the "iffy" ones so we could have a better idea what we're deciding?
    Yeah, I was thinking I might need to do that. I haven't finished looking through them yet - I'll try to gather them in one post tonight or tomorrow.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    I agree with Grey_Wolf_c. The rules for quote inclusion state: "This excludes GiTP forum rules, updates, or general information. That is for the admins and mods to publicize and spread word about, not this index." Stuff like "don't talk about the update schedule" and "don't talk about Rich's health" fall in this category. That information is for the mods or Rich to publicize as they see fit.
    Fair point. In the face of this, I agree that this thread does not seem to be the correct place to spread the word about this.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Last edited by Porthos; 2013-05-25 at 10:26 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

21. - Top - End - #711
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Corrected link.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Fixed. Thanks.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-05-25 at 10:27 PM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

23. - Top - End - #713

The Giant on Kickstarter Stuff, and perhaps his art too?

24. - Top - End - #714
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    The Giant on Kickstarter Stuff, and perhaps his art too?
    Pretty much already addressed in a previous post. The only new info is the lack of a new drawing tablet.

Not really worth mentioning, I think.

25. - Top - End - #715

Not sure if this is relevant enough for the Index, but posting just in case:

There are no plans for a Jack Vance memorial strip.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

26. - Top - End - #716

Also on Hinjo and vigiliantism in D&D.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ogre in the Playground

-.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

28. - Top - End - #718
    Banned

Daemon

29. - Top - End - #719

NinjaGuy

More on the same.

(I'm loving that thread btw, awesome discussion!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

30. - Top - End - #720