New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default My Opinion on where Magic of Incarnum went wrong

So I just recently got the Magic of Incarnum book.

I like what I read but at the same time the book really ticked me off.

I hate how WoTC comes out with books like this and then say 'these 3 classes are the only classes that cna use the stuff in this book'

Why is it that only the soulborn ( or as i see it, a better paladin AGAIN), incarnate, and totemist the only classes in the world that can use soulbinds?

I think WoTC could have had a HUGE success If they had done one simple little thing with Magic of Incarnum.

All they had to do was implement this one little thing.

Every race/class should have been able to use soulmelds. sort of as a semi-replacement for magical items.

Id make this maybe feat based and make it tied to constitution, and also toss in some spells that cna be used as 'soulmelds' like free movement, death ward, or haste as some examples.

TO me seperating the soulmelds from specific classes and allowing everybody to use this stuff is a much better way to implement this than just regulating it to certian classes and certain races.

To me they took a wonderful and awesome idea and then shackled it to a very specific place.

now just a cursory glance tells me that "DANG!" this is gonna be a LOT of work to get this sweet idea from the book to what I think this should be.

anyways tell me what you guys think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: My Opinion on where Magic of Incarnum went wrong

Are you aware of shape soulmeld or the incarnum spells?

Because when I read the OP, my first thought was "That's exactly what they did."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yea uh...did you read the book all the way through? They literally did that.

It's just those three classes are ENTIRELY CENTERED AROUND IT.

By the way Soulborn is not a better Paladin; it's equal and/or worse.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

As stated above, they did spread it out. There are spells that let you shape soulmelds and open chakras. There are feats that do the same. Now, in Tome of Magic, the classes presented there are pretty much the only ones that can use the cool stuff in the book, either well or at all. Sure, there are a couple of Bind Vestige feats, but they're severely limited compared to a single level of Binder. I'm not sure if there are any feats that allow the use of Mysteries or Utterances. Probably are, but again limited. But Magic of Incarnum works very much like the Tome of Battle. There are three classes that can use all of the stuff in here to its fullest extent, but there are feats that ANY class can take and have quite a wide array of options to choose from.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Soulmelds are accessible by both feats and spells.

And as Aura said, the soulborn is worse than the paladin. So much worse.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I know you cna take soem soulemdls just like hwo TOB allowed other classes to take stances/manuevers

I do notthink you guys get what I was trying to say.

I mean take out all the MoI classes altogher and allow every class/race in the whole game.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

So you mean write an MoI ACF for every class and race in the game?

Why?

8. - Top - End - #8

Uh...THEY CAN. Every race and every class is capable of taking feats or spells that let them use soulmelds. What the hell are you going on about, if that doesn't satisfy you?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    Why?
    Also, it would be difficult. MoI was published in 2005; they would have to add this ACF to every single new class they published.

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

What, like give every class a Soulmeld/Essentia Capacity progression? Well they could, but that would be useless bookkeeping to anyone who didn't plan to use it, and be way too heavily weighted toward Meldshaping in general. It's kind of neat as a gimmick, but it's not cool enough to be a main feature, like saves and BAB. You might as well give every class a spell list. Which would be weird. Now, if you wanted to introduce a sort of ToB-style "all non-meldshaper levels count as half-meldshaper for purposes of essentia capacity" or something like that, that might be neat. But that's not what you're saying, is it?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Haven't looked at MoI for quite some time, but could you not just use the meldshaping progressions from each of those classes an apply them as is to classes that have the same base attack progression? Slow (+10/+5) progression get the Incarnate meldshaping (can't remember if it has the lowest or the highest meldshaping progression) medium base attack get medium meldshaping, and so on. It's going to need tweaking, but it's a quick and easy start if you want all classes to have access to Incarnum, especially if you play or run a low op group.
    -------------∩____∩
    <:::::[]=0-|(• ◡•)| ノ\(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

Link/Triforce and Reinhard von Lohengramm avatars by the talented Kymme!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

You could add it if you wished. Doesn't sound like it would be too hard to homebrew. You might get really sick of the colour blue after a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

well nettlekid kind of got what i meant.

There I know that would be a lot of bookeeping, but then again peopel seem to love being the big boys on the block and those classes are all about bookeeping.

I juist dislike the fact that those three classes are the ony classes that cna do the soulmeld stuff to the fullest.

much like my biggest gripe about ToB is 'well if a fighter is all about fighitng why the hell is he only half decent and cool fighing tricks?" and the same holds true here.

I know that they have feats, spells and other such that allows people to use the melds. I just thought that taking out those classes and making it so every class can use each meld to its fullest would have been a much better thing.

I just hate the fatc that WoTC come sup with these great idea and screw it up by saying only X can do Y, but can kinda do 1/2Y...

I get that I am not able at times to get my idea sthrough but i am overhelmed at the number of people who justs ay " the booka llows you do that idiot!!RAWRARWARRW!@)_E#*^#*&(' lik dman,, did you guys even read what I was getting it. i would have htough that what I was inferring was at least semi-obvious.

I see that it has completely fail to become appearant to aura, but I am not syaing some BS liek give everybody and theri cousins ACF for meldshaping or whatever everydy is is raging about here.

I am sayin to completey divorce the fact that only certain classes get teh full monty so to speak and just make meldshaping something people get via feats ( but they get teh whole thing not that limited BS they get now)

do you understand what I am saying now?

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

Er...to be fair, I think you might get your point across better if you tried proofreading your posts and keeping them clean of spelling/grammatical errors. Many of your words are spilling into each other, making it difficult to understand what you're saying.

Apart from that, I think most people are going to disagree with you that Soulmelds should be a universal feature for every class for a few reasons. One is that NO class has a universal feature. As far as I'm aware, there's nothing that every single class has. If you gave every class Soulmelds, it would make those Soulmelds incredibly boring. It would be like giving every class Rage, or a Sneak Attack progression. Imagine how boring any build designed around Rage or Sneak Attack would be if anyone could do it? And secondly, Soulmelds just aren't that good. They're okay flavor-wise, though sometimes the whole "soul energy" thing feels a little forced to me. But mechanically they're a kind of weak. A lot of classes aren't going to even want them. So people would get annoyed with them if they were universal to every class.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

So... you're disappointed that classes that weren't designed to do something, aren't nearly as good at it as classes that are? Why does that make any sense? Should all fighters get easily accessible psionic abilities? It's really not a logical objection to incarnum. Incarnum classes are good at incarnum, and classes that aren't incarnum can settle for only having access to the feat version.

Also, your syntax could use a lot of work. It's genuinely difficult to understand what you're saying sometimes, which might be part of the reason lots of people don't understand you.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by ngilop View Post
    I get that I am not able at times to get my idea sthrough but i am overhelmed at the number of people who justs ay " the booka llows you do that idiot!!RAWRARWARRW!@)_E#*^#*&(' lik dman,, did you guys even read what I was getting it. i would have htough that what I was inferring was at least semi-obvious.
    It's easier to successfully convey concepts when you take the time to write clearly and coherently. Your posts are messy and annoying to read because you don't bother to spell or use punctuation correctly and that lack of care is also reflected in how poorly you explained what you were are asking in your initial post.

That's all fine, but it's irksome when you decide to berate people over a problem that you caused. That goes double when you are asking people for help and they took time out of their day to do it.
    Re: 100 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

much like my biggest gripe about ToB is 'well if a fighter is all about fighitng why the hell is he only half decent and cool fighing tricks?" and the same holds true here.
    Because the fighter was poorly designed, basically.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

every class gets feats, base attack bonus, and saves bonuses.

but besdies that I just lookd at it and said " wow that a kickarse idea, why did they not make it so this is just a selection of siper cool feats?)
    I just started to imagne a ranger who takes on aspects of an animal or a barbarian that does the same, I know that each class can get some melds via a feat but they only get a part, not all

its also my argument with TOB, and i do not care what anybody else says about ToB and people telling me that i'm "disappointed that classes that weren't designed to do something, aren't nearly as good at it as classes that are?" Look at the fluff of the Warblade, now take a look at the fighter. I have not seen a difference. and how can anybody justifyably tell me, that every ToB class should be better than the base classes. when really all the Warblade is, is the fighter fixed. The class that has fight in the name is somehow as terrible as the wizard even though I would just assume that the guy that is supposed to have the best all around fighting capabilities would I do not know.. have the best fighting capabilities. instead this new guy called the warblade is. and to add insult to injury for the poor fighter, he only counts as half as good as fighting in regards to the new fighting styles

I would wish for you all to read this ist a wonderful essay on this whole warblade vs fighter cornundrum.

I I think that my first post was pretty good, and my 2nd post was indeed pretty bad, my 3rd is allright. and hopefully this one is decent. my ability to type is indeed affected by my emotions at the time, whne i have to find myself defending .. myself? i type a little too fasta nd end up making a lot of mistakes. I have never really figured out why i get so upset and being unstuled over random interent mediums but dang sometimes I do.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

Why are the Swordsage, Warblade, and Crusader the only initiators? Why do only Warlocks and Dragonfire Adepts use invocations? Why do only Marshals and Divine Minds have scaling auras? Because they are different classes. Incarnum is no more a replacement for items than magic is, or martial maneuvers are, or vestige binds, or Ardent mantle powers, or Fighter bonus feats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

If every class is going to use soulmelds to their fullest, then those classes are being rewritten into MoI classes. Sort of like how fighters and wizards don't get 9th-level maneuvers, non-incarnates don't get soul soulmelds.

So your argument either boils down to:
    a) The best class features from these classes should be given to my favorite classes cause I want it, or
    b) There should be an ACF for all classes that turns them into Incarnum users.

(a) makes no sense, and (b) would only be a good idea if Incarnum got any support--Psionics got a lot of support from players, so it was rewritten in several editions and got three books in 3.x. Incarnum was complicated, obsessed with the color blue, and didn't get a place in the SRD, so it had a smaller fanbase. Why bother writing 13 MoI classes when you can just do three like every other splat?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    If every class is going to use soulmelds to their fullest, then those classes are being rewritten into MoI classes. Sort of like how fighters and wizards don't get 9th-level maneuvers, non-incarnates don't get soul soulmelds.

So your argument either boils down to:
    a) The best class features from these classes should be given to my favorite classes cause I want it, or
    b) There should be an ACF for all classes that turns them into Incarnum users.

(a) makes no sense, and (b) would only be a good idea if Incarnum got any support--Psionics got a lot of support from players, so it was rewritten in several editions and got three books in 3.x. Incarnum was complicated, obsessed with the color blue, and didn't get a place in the SRD, so it had a smaller fanbase. Why bother writing 13 MoI classes when you can just do three like every other splat?
    1) I have no argument

2) the title itself says MY OPINION on where Magic of Incarnum went worng.

I love how you guys just jump on me and proceed oo say that my opinion is completely wrong.

and flicker, I can see invocations being regulated to just those classes, but really you are going to tell me that martial manuevers are something completly differnt than certain fighting styles and a what not ?

22. - Top - End - #22

MindFlayer

Well, you did ask what we thought about your opinion, and it seems that the majority of the people here think your opinion is wrong. So they said so. So you really can't blame them for saying so, since you asked.

23. - Top - End - #23

and flicker, I can see invocations being regulated to just those classes, but really you are going to tell me that martial manuevers are something completly differnt than certain fighting styles and a what not ?
    Maneuvers are fighting styles.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Let us be enlightened by the wisdom of urban dictionary:

2. opinion
    immunity to being told your wrong
    Last edited by Gharkash; 2013-05-20 at 12:56 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I just started to imagne a ranger who takes on aspects of an animal or a barbarian that does the same
    That sounds like a good idea, but what about it is unique to Incarnum? Couldn't a Ranger imitate badgers and go into a rage? Couldn't a Fighter make use of inspiring words or shouted instructions? Couldn't a Rogue learn how to cast spells without using scrolls or wands?

The answer is yes in all cases. How, you may ask? With the great advance of 3.x: multiclassing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    The answer is yes in all cases. How, you may ask? With the great advance of 3.x: multiclassing.
    Or PrCs, of which Incarnum has plenty (which I suppose is really just multiclassing with a funny name when you get down to it).
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Or PrCs, of which Incarnum has plenty (which I suppose is really just multiclassing with a funny name when you get down to it).
    It's a form of multiclassing, yes, though the goals of a prestige class tend to be a bit different from a base class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Dang, I was hoping for a discussion of how incarnum is a pain to make useful in combat and has no endgame power. As someone who's read the min-max guides and then worked a few reasonable builds, I can definitely say that the biggest problem is being frontloaded. Low level incarnum is actually pretty broken, but high level incarnum is basically useless without something crazy (I should leave out totemists though, since they're natural weapon piles and as such are pretty much always viable). Sure you can stack enough buffing melds on a LE Incarnate to almost match a normal melee guy, but you're not even "using" incarnum then, just buffing a 1/2 BAB char into a figher. Having access to every single soulmeld at level one is a massive overhead in terms of learning the capabilities of the system, while simultaneously making it difficult to add anything good enough for endgame since it's automatically available at level 1. The chakra binds are in weird clumps at uneven intervals, making them hard to compare to standard metrics of power (read: spells invocations).

Regarding cross class support, well actually Incarnum is just about the best thing to multiclass with. Seriously, as I was building my builds, I kept finding that I'd be better off getting out the incarnum class after a few levels because I just didn't need it anymore. It's practically impossible to make good use of the Shape Soulmeld feat since you have to pay out the nose in feats to get the essentia, but a 1-4 level dip gives you enough to do anything you want except the high tier binds, most of which suck and aren't worth the trouble unless they're your only class feature because you stayed in straight incarnum.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gharkash View Post
    Let us be enlightened by the wisdom of urban dictionary:

2. opinion
    immunity to being told your wrong
    I had to actually look this up. That's fantastic, and also expresses exactly what I was thinking--if I think your opinion is wrong, I will say so, you are not immune to being wrong just because you're not using facts.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yeah, posting your opinion online and expecting every answer/post/comment to be praising your point of view is a bit optimistic, to say the least. That simple sentence was pretty accurate for this situation.