New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1062 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    A battleship also hit a mine, which gave the officers an excuse for playing it safe. The Ottoman Sultan was busy evacuating his palace, if they'd pressed the attack it could have opened a 3rd front.

For those who don't know, a "plankholder" is a member of the first crew assigned to a ship when it enters service. If you've served your entire career on a vessel you will tend to be fond of her.
    Frankly, I'm surprised an empire built on footstools was able to last as long as it did.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    A battleship also hit a mine, which gave the officers an excuse for playing it safe. The Ottoman Sultan was busy evacuating his palace, if they'd pressed the attack it could have opened a 3rd front.

For those who don't know, a "plankholder" is a member of the first crew assigned to a ship when it enters service. If you've served your entire career on a vessel you will tend to be fond of her.
    Ah yes, forgot about the one ship hitting a mine that turned their bowels to water. Thank you!

Had they pressed, the Ottomans were in no place to make a good defense. It was probably the one time in the annals of history that an attack through the Dardanelles could have succeeded.

Q
    No one expects the Bardic Exposition!

Quibblicious.

3. - Top - End - #123

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Frankly, I'm surprised an empire built on footstools was able to last as long as it did.
    They were three legged stools, and very stable.

Q

Quibblicious.

4. - Top - End - #124

Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    Andi strikes me as the engineer who hates to have to fix it again. She like to keep it humming and can optimize the heck out of it, and can fix things swiftly and efficiently when she puts her mind to it. She also, however, is so emotionally invested in the ship itself that she hates to see it put in any danger.
    Honestly not the worst traits for an engineer to have. But, not so great for a captain. And even then, it wouldn't be so bad is said chief engineer didn't have such horrible entitlement issues (and lack of composure) that they whack their acting captain in the back of the head with a wrench.

This is similar to the plankholder captains in the Gallipoli campaign in WWI, who were supposed to drive their fairly new but still outdated battle ships into the Dardanelles and close to the shore based gun emplacements and destroy the emplacements to allow the troop ships to gain passage. Well, many of those captains had the romantic notion that their ships were the fair ladies of the seas and shouldn't be risked in such a maneuver, putting the material safety of the ship over accomplishing their mission.

The end result was a failure of the Gallipoli campaign and much wasted life because the captains couldn't bear to put their ships in the line of fire in the manner they should have.

Its not completely the fault of those captains, but their initial failures complicated the subsequent decisions and led indirectly to a failed campaign and a loss of a lot of lives.

For those who don't know, the order of priority for a military commander is always mission, men, equipment, at least for the United States armed services. If mission took a back seat to either men or equipment, you'd never be able to send men into battle.

Q
    Making another history check...
    Yeah, that's a fairly apt comparison (minus the mutiny thing...)

Unfortunately for the gang, Andi doesn't even believe in the mission. And her current priorities seem to roughly be: control/power/ego, ship, people, passengers, that dumb mission thing.
    She brings the lightning to the sky,
    the waves onto the shore,
    the rain and the thunder
    and the dark cloud's roar...

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

Custom avatar courtesy of Comissar. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. I'm surprised one hit was able to knock Bandana out like that. Pity, I was rather hoping for the mutiny to lead to an open battle on decks rather than just turning the ship around. I guess we'll have to see what happens. Maybe someone else will end up intervening.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Be careful. The Ottoman Empress is easy to underestimate.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Hmm. I'm surprised one hit was able to knock Bandana out like that. Pity, I was rather hoping for the mutiny to lead to an open battle on decks rather than just turning the ship around. I guess we'll have to see what happens. Maybe someone else will end up intervening.
    the chin to the railing was probably worse then the wrench to the head

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

This is similar to the plankholder captains in the Gallipoli campaign in WWI, who were supposed to drive their fairly new but still outdated battle ships into the Dardanelles and close to the shore based gun emplacements and destroy the emplacements to allow the troop ships to gain passage. Well, many of those captains had the romantic notion that their ships were the fair ladies of the seas and shouldn't be risked in such a maneuver, putting the material safety of the ship over accomplishing their mission.
    I do not really disagree with your interpretation, but I would add some nuance. The British captains liked to think of themselves as the creme-de-la-creme of English leadership class, the branch of military service that kept the isles free from outside military intervention for 400 years. If the navy gets mauled, what would happen to England, with all those menacing Prussian battleships waiting to pounce from the Helgoland Bight? Obviously the navy must be preserved at all costs!

The real answer is that is not really the problem for captains assigned to the Mediterranean to worry about, as the North Sea armada had the problem well in hand. I mention this argument because it is a matter of mindset, where their own precious ship is a piece of a grand vision of how the preferences of sea captains are more important than anyone else.

I have no doubt that Julio lead the Mechane into dangers that Andi did not understand, that were not explained to her.* But rather than such history being a reason to give Bandana some leeway, Andi is using her past history of frustration to take it out on Bandana. IMO.

* Explaining the full mission to the crew does not build up the dramatic tension as much as possible, obviously.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Be careful. The Ottoman Empress is easy to underestimate.
    Clearly. Here I was thinking she just got off her feet and kicked back all day.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Gonna say, Andi shouldn't have snapped like that. Obviously. In the wrong and all that.

But Bandana hasn't exactly been covering herself in glory this whole time, either.

No, she didn't act rashly enough to deserve a bonk on the head. Stated in advance.

But her leadership skills? Well, I haven't exactly been impressed with them this whole time. She should have realized the tension building between her and Andi (and by proxy a good chunk of the rest of the ship) and diffused it before it ever got to this point.

This was a classic dysfunctional relationship between two people and it finally snapped when enough weight was put on it.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

11. - Top - End - #131

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    I do not really disagree with your interpretation, but I would add some nuance. The British captains liked to think of themselves as the creme-de-la-creme of English leadership class, the branch of military service that kept the isles free from outside military intervention for 400 years. If the navy gets mauled, what would happen to England, with all those menacing Prussian battleships waiting to pounce from the Helgoland Bight? Obviously the navy must be preserved at all costs!

The real answer is that is not really the problem for captains assigned to the Mediterranean to worry about, as the North Sea armada had the problem well in hand. I mention this argument because it is a matter of mindset, where their own precious ship is a piece of a grand vision of how the preferences of sea captains are more important than anyone else.
    That is a somewhat more nuanced view, but it boils down to the same thing -- they put their ships ahead of the mission, which it seems that Andi is doing now.

The Paladins would be pitching fits...

Q

Quibblicious.

12. - Top - End - #132

Q
    O.O

There's a time when Paladins aren't pitching fits?

paladins = every chaotic's favourite punching bag
    some of them are nice though
    when they aren't telling you to stop doing stuff
    and sometimes they might be right
    or so I've heard
    the rain and the thunder

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by aurilee View Post
    Honestly not the worst traits for an engineer to have. But, not so great for a captain. And even then, it wouldn't be so bad is said chief engineer didn't have such horrible entitlement issues (and lack of composure) that they whack their acting captain in the back of the head with a wrench.

Yeah, that's a fairly apt comparison (minus the mutiny thing...)

Unfortunately for the gang, Andi doesn't even believe in the mission. And her current priorities seem to roughly be: control/power/ego, ship, people, passengers, that dumb mission thing.
    What mission? Bandanna's personal crusade to save the world isn't Andi's mission, and she doesn't see why it has to be the Mechane's mission either. Which is what this mutiny is all about.

From a pirate's perspective, the life is supposed to be preying on defenseless merchants who can't fight back. Fighting is something to be done only when you can't outrun a warship, as a last resort.

Bandanna's continual taking of the Mechane into harm's way is something an adventurer or a hero does. But it's not what the crew of the Mechane signed on for. It's not their mission and, as happens to leaders who ignore crew morale, she got hit from behind. Happens in the real world to unpopular officers from time to time too.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I figured that things would come to a head, but I didn't think that it would happen quite so undeliberately. I really emphasize for Bandana, especially because I think her last comment, if not a smart move, was still very truthful.

Peelee’s Lotsey

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Q
    Considering that paladins and pirates tend to have slighty different worldviews, I would think that would be a given.

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    I have no doubt that Julio lead the Mechane into dangers that Andi did not understand, that were not explained to her. But rather than such history being a reason to give Bandana some leeway, Andi is using her past history of frustration to take it out on Bandana. IMO.
    At the same time, Julio earned that trust through many successful adventures*. Bandana hasn't earned it yet.

* Also, for all we know, bonks on the head happen every once in a while on the Mechane. Usually during sweeps.

Being thrust with the title of Captain goes a long way. But not necessarily ALL the way.

Especially on a crew of pirates who aren't as discliplined as your standard soldier regiment.

And, really, comparing this to soldiers with defined laws and traditions seems a bit... off. Being the captain of a pirate ship means that one probably SHOULD be a little more, hmmm, flexibile when it comes to dealing with the crew. A little more diplomacy as it were.

Just sitting around saying, "I'm the captain, do what I say" is going to lead to problems if the situation gets bad enough.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    What mission? Bandanna's personal crusade to save the world isn't Andi's mission, and she doesn't see why it has to be the Mechane's mission either. Which is what this mutiny is all about.

From a pirate's perspective, the life is supposed to be preying on defenseless merchants who can't fight back. Fighting is something to be done only when you can't outrun a warship, as a last resort.

Bandanna's continual taking of the Mechane into harm's way is something an adventurer or a hero does. But it's not what the crew of the Mechane signed on for. It's not their mission and, as happens to leaders who ignore crew morale, she got hit from behind. Happens in the real world to unpopular officers from time to time too.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    As I said, Andi doesn't believe in the mission. Which is why it's barely on her priority list.

There is *a* mission though, just not one that Andi cares to partake in.

At this point though, they're knee-deep into the mission, so abandoning it now is a somewhat questionable decision.
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Gonna say, Andi shouldn't have snapped like that. Obviously. In the wrong and all that.

But Bandana hasn't exactly been covering herself in glory this whole time, either.

No, she didn't act rashly enough to deserve a bonk on the head. Stated in advance.

But her leadership skills? Well, I haven't exactly been impressed with them this whole time. She should have realized the tension building between her and Andi (and by proxy a good chunk of the rest of the ship) and diffused it before it ever got to this point.

This was a classic dysfunctional relationship between two people and it finally snapped when enough weight was put on it.
    I'm not sure Bandana could have defused it, without doing something she wasn't going to do for good reasons (i.e., stepping down as Acting Captain for Andi). She's consistently listened to concerns from the crew--including Andi--and addressed them. In the previous strip, she explained why she wasn't going to use Andi's "turn off the pass" plan, agreed that they should do something, and ordered increasing speed (with immediate success, i.e., the giant currently falling from the side of the Mechane). She didn't point out that Andi was the engineer and should be engineering until Andi called her a stupid little brat who should do what Andi told her. Andi just wasn't looking for the acting captain addressing her concerns; she was looking for her subordinate to quit with the delusions of not being a subordinate and start obeying.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

5 pages of comments to read, wanted to say I loved how the barrier spoke stopped you seeing her eyes. Lovely schrodinger cartoon.
    And Fruit Pie the Sorcerer died because he was a sorcerer who chose to fight encounters with fruit pies rather than actual spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbebatman View Post
    Allow me to clarify now, I do not wish to play your reindeer games. If I make a statement, propose a hypothetical, or ask a question, it is to increase understanding of one another's views, it is not to win a debate which is inherently unwinnable and for which there is no prize.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Argh...

Andi, how on earth did you get to become an engineer, let alone head engineer on an airship, without any sort of critical thinking skills? Gaah. I know conflict drives the plot, but don't they have enough problems as it is right now? I hope theres a darn good payoff for this, because pointless stupidity is one of me serious storytelling peeves.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

The real question is, who will be the first to discover it and who will be the first to confront it. My guess is that Elan discovers it and shouts to Roy->Roy is in the middle of fighting, but yells at Andi->V, Belk, and Haley realize the ship is turning (after killing the last frost giant) and panic->Elan wails impotently as Haley is seemingly left behind->Convenient wand is convenient and at least two return safely to the ship
    If violence wasn't the last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
    A soft answer turneth away Wrath. Once Wrath looks away, shoot it in the head.
    The longer everything goes to plan, the bigger the impending disaster.
    Those who spell rogue 'rouge' will be the first to go when I am overlord.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

I seem to recall that Roy and company paid them 200 gp per person, and all of the crew were OK except the eternal bitch Andi.

Strip 1028

See also Haley digging into her pile of gold to repair Mechane, strip 959.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2017-01-09 at 04:41 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I'm not sure Bandana could have defused it, without doing something she wasn't going to do for good reasons (i.e., stepping down as Acting Captain for Andi).
    She probably could have had a long sit down chat with her when she saw the backtalk starting. If not after the first one, then the second one.

I'm talking strips and strips ago.

I recall her having a conversation with her, but I don't think it was long enough/good enough.

But, as has been noted, people sitting around solving their problems like adults probably isn't something that is going to catch on.

23. - Top - End - #143

BardGuy

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    The crew doesn't get to decide the mission. They may not even know the mission. It comes either from the captain or an outside authority.

As an example: The USS Indianapolis knew they had a valuable mission but the crew itself never knew the mission. The The USS Indianapolis was the ship that carried the atomic weapons to the airbase where the B-29s were deployed to eventually carry the weapons to their targets.

The crew had no need to know the mission. Telling them may put the mission at risk. So you tell them exactly what they need to know and not much more. Pirate crews operate somewhat differently but it's not uncommon to read about a captain who kept his crew in the dark until it was necessary.

Q

Quibblicious.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Argh...

Andi, how on earth did you get to become an engineer, let alone head engineer on an airship, without any sort of critical thinking skills? Gaah. I know conflict drives the plot, but don't they have enough problems as it is right now? I hope theres a darn good payoff for this, because pointless stupidity is one of me serious storytelling peeves.
    Andi thinks everyone is going to die right here, right now, if they kept following Bandana's plan. Can't save the world, if everyone here is dead, no?

And, besides, it WAS a moment of frustration there. Well, not so much a moment but a volcanic eruption.

But it mostly stems from the PoV that Bandana is leading everyone to Certain Death.

Is she right to think that? Well from a character point of view it only matters if she has cause to think that.

And I think it's been well established from her PoV that it has. Might be stupid, but it is reasonable. From a narrative standpoint, that is.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

But it mostly stems from the PoV that Bandana is leading everyone to Certain Death.
    FWIW: Christopher Columbus had to deal with near mutiny during his first voyage to the new World.
    IIRC, Henry Hudson's last voyage ended with mutiny and he was cast adrift.

Per your points, Rich's narrative draws form plausible historical precedent.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2017-01-09 at 04:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

She probably could have had a long sit down chat with her when she saw the backtalk starting. If not after the first one, then the second one.

I recall her having a conversation with her, but I don't think it was long enough/good enough.

But, as has been noted, people sitting around solving their problems like adults probably isn't something that is going to catch on.
    Andi has been contesting every decision Bandana has made and made it clear she doesnt consider her to be the real captain

theres no way to defuse that, Andi does not respect Bandana and refuses to

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The crew doesn't get to decide the mission. They may not even know the mission. It comes either from the captain or an outside authority.

As an example: The USS Indianapolis knew they had a valuable mission but the crew itself never knew the mission. The The USS Indianapolis was the ship that carried the atomic weapons to the airbase where the B-29s were deployed to eventually carry the weapons to their targets.

The crew had no need to know the mission. Telling them may put the mission at risk. So you tell them exactly what they need to know and not much more. Pirate crews operate somewhat differently but it's not uncommon to read about a captain who kept his crew in the dark until it was necessary.

Q
    At the same time, having an inexperienced captain who has personality conflicts with a member of the crew suddenly run into MAJOR PROBLEMS on their maiden voyage is a time honored tradtion in storytelling.

In fact, if that specific situation in storytelling ain't a trope, it should be.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Colossus in the Playground

These particular pirates--well, their captain is Julio Scoundrel, remember? Rescued lots of the brides-to-be of a borderline-epic evil warlord at the altar? Cares about money to a limited extent--probably close to the extent he cares about actually helping people--but mainly cares about looking dashing? I kind of doubt his crew is used to staying far away from anything more dangerous than a merchant ship (even without considering that that would mean needing to classify the Tarquin fight and the story in Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales as statistical outliers from an entirely speculative norm).

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

At the same time, having an inexperienced captain who has personality conflicts with a member of the crew suddenly run into MAJOR PROBLEMS on their maiden voyage is a time honored tradtion in storytelling.

In fact, if that specific situation in storytelling ain't a trope, it should be.
    Case in point, Captain Bligh and Fletcher Christian. (Oh, wait, that wasn't just a movie, it was actual history). Unlike Bandana, who is mostly a decent person, Captain Bligh was an asshat. He was also mutineed against when governor of New South Wales.
    Fifteen years after the Bounty mutiny, he was appointed Governor of New South Wales in Australia, with orders to clean up the corrupt rum trade of the New South Wales Corps. His actions directed against the trade resulted in the so-called Rum Rebellion, during which Bligh was (again) placed under arrest and deposed from his command.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2017-01-09 at 04:37 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Andi's fundamental position has been that Bandana simply does not deserve and has no right to be captain. That might not have led to mutiny under other circumstances, but I don't really see it being resolved by a long talk either.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.