New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary V: You're Missing Something Wonderful

I know I practically only post here when I feel I'm missing something, but we do not know what happened to Murtaugh, right? Last we saw her, she seemed to be more together than now, so I'm guessing this is a noodle incident, but can't imagine why we didn't get to see it, or when it could have happened.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I know I practically only post here when I feel I'm missing something, but we do not know what happened to Murtaugh, right? Last we saw her, she seemed to be more together than now, so I'm guessing this is a noodle incident, but can't imagine why we didn't get to see it, or when it could have happened.

GW
    My initial thought would be from taking the battleplate, but looking back, it sounds like they didn't have to do any of the heavy lifting, just take ownership once it's been swept. So I have no clue, unless they missed some particularly nasty surprises in the sweeping.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

GW
    New book, so no, we don't know what happened to Murtaugh.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yeah, there's a story between the stories... it's going to get told eventually, though it might be awhile before we get there.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    My initial thought would be from taking the battleplate, but looking back, it sounds like they didn't have to do any of the heavy lifting, just take ownership once it's been swept. So I have no clue, unless they missed some particularly nasty surprises in the sweeping.
    We appear to have missed a very interesting Morokweng Mk2 raid between the end of the last book and the start of this one.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I think it's interesting to show that Schlock is far from the psychopath that many people think he is. He truly DOES care.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

About the handfull of people he consider 'friends' or has respect for, yes he cares. The rest he will happily eat alive without a second though.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I think it's interesting to show that Schlock is far from the psychopath that many people think he is. He truly DOES care.
    In as much as someone on the internet can diagnose psychopathy, looking at Schlock through the Triarchic model, he presents with absurd levels of boldness(he eats nannites and chemical baths for fun, base-jumps in hard vacuum without precaution, and picks fights with anything, threat-wise), similar levels of disinhibition(Just read the last few weeks of comics), and an above average meanness(although here, we find that he's not really that far off the charts). He's a psychopath alright, just a loyal one.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Can we really blame him? His species doesn't really have rigid individuality. What does it matter if you're shot dead? You will be distributed among the of species-you and be wiser next time species-you pulls off such a stunt. The important thing is to live a thrill-filled life that will create STRONG MEMORIES that will live on forever in your species-you. The rest of the gallaxy with their quaint all consuming individualism and this 'moral' thingy are just weird.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Can we really blame him? His species doesn't really have rigid individuality. What does it matter if you're shot dead? You will be distributed among the of species-you and be wiser next time species-you pulls off such a stunt. The important thing is to live a thrill-filled life that will create STRONG MEMORIES that will live on forever in your species-you. The rest of the gallaxy with their quaint all consuming individualism and this 'moral' thingy are just weird.
    Except he refused a memory swap with the amorphs at the circus apparently on the grounds that they didn't have his security clearances, which is definitely strange, and probably puts Schlock in an anomalous position.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2015-04-17 at 09:26 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    In as much as someone on the internet can diagnose psychopathy, looking at Schlock through the Triarchic model, he presents with absurd levels of boldness(he eats nannites and chemical baths for fun, base-jumps in hard vacuum without precaution, and picks fights with anything, threat-wise), similar levels of disinhibition(Just read the last few weeks of comics), and an above average meanness(although here, we find that he's not really that far off the charts). He's a psychopath alright, just a loyal one.
    Your applying human rules and standards to something that is very NOT human. http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2014-05-04 "Schlock is far more alien than 99% of the sapient life you will ever meet".
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Except he refused a memory swap with the amorphs at the circus apparently on the grounds that they didn't have his security clearances, which is definitely strange, and probably puts Schlock in an anomalous position.
    They were on an undercover mission, memory swapping would have broken his cover, and as he pointed out when 'Chelle suggested it, putting lies in the memory swap is (to an amorph, at least) disgusting.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2015-04-17 at 12:24 PM.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

OK, so Murtaugh was in bits due to a bomb. Set by who, and where? Hopefully we'll stick with this little tete-a-tete between Schlock and her rather than switching away.

14. - Top - End - #284

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    OK, so Murtaugh was in bits due to a bomb. Set by who, and where? Hopefully we'll stick with this little tete-a-tete between Schlock and her rather than switching away.
    Even if we don't find out for a while, it's still nice just to get a subtle confirmation that the toughs do have the longevity treatment.
    My Homebrew
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Your applying human rules and standards to something that is very NOT human. http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2014-05-04 "Schlock is far more alien than 99% of the sapient life you will ever meet".
    Sure, but so is anyone who's using the term psychopath on Schlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    Even if we don't find out for a while, it's still nice just to get a subtle confirmation that the toughs do have the longevity treatment.
    Doesn't confirm anything unless they first suggest that Murtaugh's brain didn't survive intact. Otherwise, its a rather standard injury that Toughs have been coming back from since very early days, with varying difficulties on the quality of recovery based on current gear available.
    Last edited by Godskook; 2015-04-18 at 03:56 AM.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Obvious guess, though I'm not assuming anything; that battleplate needed sweeping and cleaning up, and it would be quite in character for one or two of the previous occupants to lave a booby trap as a housewarming gift.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

17. - Top - End - #287

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Doesn't confirm anything unless they first suggest that Murtaugh's brain didn't survive intact. Otherwise, its a rather standard injury that Toughs have been coming back from since very early days, with varying difficulties on the quality of recovery based on current gear available.
    My recollection is that Schlock doesn't normally say "You were dead" when people are alive in a nanniebag, and usually the toughs are awake for regrowing the rest of themselves when they go through the usual dismemberment routine. Just the fact she didn't wake up for four days is a break from pattern by itself.
    Last edited by Alent; 2015-04-18 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Weird mystery space.
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

My recollection is that Schlock doesn't normally say "You were dead" when people are alive in a nanniebag, and usually the toughs are awake for regrowing the rest of themselves when they go through the usual dismemberment routine. Just the fact she didn't wake up for four days is a break from pattern by itself.
    Usually the entire head survives though. It is not inconceivable that you could bag the back two thirds or so without the face that went with it and still have enough to make a person again.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

That's a nuance I didn't see the first time around, but given that it's schlock, I'm still holding to the "not confirmation" line, although I'll grant you that it is suggestive.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I just noticed that you can see the first letters of "Jumpstar Prime" on the new battleplate here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Given the level of technology involved, I suspect that being 'merely' dead isn't near as permanent as it is for us, so long as the brain survives. Though given the number of bits Murtaugh was in, there may well still be some brain shenanigans in the deweaponized laz'r'us, (assuming it got applied to her offscreen).
    Swoop Falcon

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

...random question. What's the upper limit on size for something that you can terraport? Has it been stated? Now I'm imagining terraporting entire planets to use as missile weapons.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    ...random question. What's the upper limit on size for something that you can terraport? Has it been stated? Now I'm imagining terraporting entire planets to use as missile weapons.
    Not stated to my knowledge, but I suspect that you would need Petey levels of power to terraport something that size, and that's WITHOUT brute-forcing through TAD.
    Swoop Falcon

24. - Top - End - #294

Teraporting uses the mass of the object being teleported as a power source. The problem would be closer to what they did to Credomar; making sure everything ends up in the right place at the right time. Otherwise, you'd just end up missing a mountain or two that got used as fuel.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Foeofthelance View Post
    Teraporting uses the mass of the object being teleported as a power source. The problem would be closer to what they did to Credomar; making sure everything ends up in the right place at the right time. Otherwise, you'd just end up missing a mountain or two that got used as fuel.
    Or you'd end up with everyone and everything looking like Swiss cheese or something (). Wasn't there a bug/feature near the start of teraport development that used random atoms as fuel instead of specified objects? (I know that was immediately tossed out for comedy value, but still)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Or you'd end up with everyone and everything looking like Swiss cheese or something (). Wasn't there a bug/feature near the start of teraport development that used random atoms as fuel instead of specified objects? (I know that was immediately tossed out for comedy value, but still)
    Has it ever been stated that it doesn't do that now?

27. - Top - End - #297
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Has it ever been stated that it doesn't do that now?
    Yes, later versions of the teraport take their energy from designated fuel. I'm not sure if that's been specifically mentioned in-comic, but there is at least one author's note about it somewhere.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foeofthelance View Post
    I could've sworn they phased out that particular technology in later versions, but can't recall when or if it was mentioned for sure.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Not particularly Relevant though, sure you lose a hunk of mass but what would you want to terraport a planet for? only two good reasons for it One, Evacuation..which at this point it is probably easier to build something like the can of sky rather than to port a whole planet into a new orbit..because that would have a thousand different difficulties to it.

The other, losing a bit off mass is okay...because your goal is to take a planet..and throw it into another planet, it is basically the Ultimate WMD if you have enough power to do it....

OH GOD DON'T LET THE DARK MATTER ALIENS GET THAT IDEA.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    OH GOD DON'T LET THE DARK MATTER ALIENS GET THAT IDEA.
    Isn't this that idea: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2006-04-02