New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast

Thread: Touhou

1. - Top - End - #541
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Touhou

I'll continue playing unpatched, out of a vague fear that my demented computer will wipe my save files if I patch the game.

Also, after that scene with Reisen and Kaguya, I faced off against Eientei. Yuka eventually uses a ranged attack on Reisen. Reisen's ability kicks in and redirects the attack to another team member. Specifically, Kaguya. Who goes down from the attack.

Nice job breaking it, hero.

Edit: Remember their little argument earlier on in the game? Well, I decided to intervene by means of a few items. Marisa is now faster than Aya, which amuses me more than it should.

More edit: Well, that was... rather expected, actually. On to the last of the post-Yukari areas. Also? Young Alice. Hate. She has this "mirror puppet" ability. What it means in practice in this version is "if she attacks someone, there's a good chance she will repeat the attack for as many times as it takes until said character dies". She always seems to do this at range, which basically just means it's a high-chance instant death attack that takes ages to animate.

Take, for instance, the reason I have the game minimized now. She used mirror puppet on Hourai. It does 5 damage each hit. Hourai has 925 health and was hit at max health. I'm going to be waiting for a while.

...Aside from Young Alice, I honestly prefer fighting this group. Yukari gave me a good deal more trouble. Though really, aside from the very early game, some fights with Alice and every fight with Yuka, the game's been smooth sailing.

(now it's happened to Shanghai, taking a similar amount of time, and Remilia. Drowning in rage, send help.)
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-10-06 at 09:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

2. - Top - End - #542
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post

(now it's happened to Shanghai, taking a similar amount of time, and Remilia. Drowning in rage, send help.)
    From my understanding (which is to say, looking at pooshlmer image boards) the latest patch limited the times she can infinitly attack down to 2-3, so no more waiting hours while you get hit for 5 damage per attack for 1000 health.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eliirae View Post
    From my understanding (which is to say, looking at pooshlmer image boards) the latest patch limited the times she can infinitly attack down to 2-3, so no more waiting hours while you get hit for 5 damage per attack for 1000 health.
    Well, that's good. Doesn't matter a great deal since I just finished the game, but still

An L40 team would make the last bit of the game a joke even without Yuka being L49. Ah well. Don't think I'll have the patience to play again on a higher difficulty
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

4. - Top - End - #544
    Barbarian in the Playground

Suwako would be neat.
    And here you go :
    Spoiler
    Show

Linky to the thread.

Edit: I really need to get around to playing that game, seems interesting. Though i don't see how it tracks positions from the screenies. Is there a map or something, or is it more like Labyrinth in that regard? If so, how does melee/tanking work?
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-10-07 at 12:39 PM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

Last edited by Prime32; 2010-10-07 at 03:10 PM.

6. - Top - End - #546

It seems that my resistance broke and I started playing Touhou. I blame it on this vid, and my curiosity really. Ah well at least I'll have something to kill time with - I'm sure learning to dodge all this will be a good way to do so. I'm also sure Spark will be laughing his ass off when he sees me posting here

PS. What does that "Spiritual Boundry" thingy in PCB do? I know I get bonus points after it ends, but is there more to it.

PS2. This flash (danbooru link warning). Cuteness... overload...
    Three are the paths of soul:
    One out - roam across the plain,
    One back - dwell with the tribe and tent,
    One in - turn an enemy's hate.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    They say people do crazy things for love...unfortunately, I'm not in love, and I'm still crazy!

Avatar by CoffeeIncluded. Finally giving credit where due, and it only took me 20 pages of search

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malek View Post
    It seems that my resistance broke and I started playing Touhou. I blame it on this vid, and my curiosity really. Ah well at least I'll have something to kill time with - I'm sure learning to dodge all this will be a good way to do so. I'm also sure Spark will be laughing his ass off when he sees me posting here

PS. What does that "Spiritual Boundry" thingy in PCB do? I know I get bonus points after it ends, but is there more to it.

The Spiritual Boundary in PCB prevents you from losing a life if you are hit by a bullet. This is also what Nitori's bomb does in SA.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

8. - Top - End - #548
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh god

my pancreas

ghh

9. - Top - End - #549
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    The Spiritual Boundary in PCB prevents you from losing a life if you are hit by a bullet. This is also what Nitori's bomb does in SA.
    You can also end it prematurely by pressing the bomb button to clear all bullets on the screen. And if you graze unfocused during the Boundary, you get extra points too, AFAIK. Really, it's mostly relevant if you play for points, although it does give you a freebie life or bomb.
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2010-10-07 at 04:46 PM.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm also sure Spark will be laughing his ass off when he sees me posting here

die, maggotts

(actually tbh i don't think either of us are good enough to get to the point where he'd call us maggotts)
    (life is hard)
    Last edited by SparkMandriller; 2010-10-07 at 11:13 PM.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

IE: Nice one The eyes look... less than sane, but then, I guess Suwako isn't the most reasonable person around

Also, Spark, that picture. So lensflare. So purple.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

12. - Top - End - #552

So purple.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ztCxpBmXuA

I get the feeling it's Cave's favourite colour.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, the avalanche of purple is one of the reasons I don't play CAVE games much - it usually ends up hurting my eyes about ten to fifteen minutes in. You know, CAVE, there's these newfangled things called colors and definition that would make your bullets so much less of a headache-inducing work to look at.

14. - Top - End - #554

IE: Nice one The eyes look... less than sane, but then, I guess Suwako isn't the most reasonable person around
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    @IE: That is awesome.
    Thanks guys .
    The crazy-eyes kinda comes from them being maybe 33% oversized. The black outlining doesn't help any. Both of those were done before the whole 'No reflections?' revelation hit me . Still, it's amazing how two dots of white make them look like eyes instead of soul-sucking pools of darkness.
    Besides, if kamina scores 4 more 'yes' votes, i can ignore the whole 'eyes' thingy for a moment .

Also, youtube link to the flash for those who'd rather not step in danbooru:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLhaCRETM4c

Edit: wait, is that a Mecha-Utsoho? I seriously need to make me one of those one day . Any idea how large it is? Looks rather big (relatively speaking). Nah, just bulky like it should. I'm guessing around 20cm for height, unless the leg wire is especially thick. Still, seems doable, though i'd need a different design. Wouldn't feel right to just copy it.
    Edit2: ah, those are conversions of existing mecha? Explains the polished finish. Oh well, still going to try my hand at scratch-building one at some point.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-10-08 at 09:28 AM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

15. - Top - End - #555

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Yeah, the avalanche of purple is one of the reasons I don't play CAVE games much - it usually ends up hurting my eyes about ten to fifteen minutes in. You know, CAVE, there's these newfangled things called colors and definition that would make your bullets so much less of a headache-inducing work to look at.
    You... do realise they've done games other than Mushihimesama, right? Donpachi and Dangun Feveron and stuff. Got lots of colours in those. Assuming every game is purple because of Mushi is like assuming that every Touhou is red because of Remilia.

No purple! Well, no purple shots at least.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ok, so I've got some time on my hands and i thought i'd try to install/run/play Sengoku Gensokyo. I've got the game, english patch, 7 other patch things, applocale, and not a clue what to do now.

I've tried just installing the game (using magicdisk to emulate a cd-drive), installing the game when applocale is installed, and neither would let me patch the game. Patching the game is just copying the "patch.xp3' stuff into the game folder with the exe file, then replacing that exe file with the one from the zipped patch folder right? I am running into an error right about here.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong? The machine is 64bit windows 7.

Nevermind; I got it.
    Last edited by memnarch; 2010-10-17 at 10:01 AM.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Banned

I have a question about the game itself, however. How do i recruit Reisen. Specifically, how do i complete step two? The guide that came with the translation patch just says it doesn't know, but it is kinda hard to keep fighting in the Bamboo Forest without actually conquering the place and it seems like i have to do something to trigger the event. I have already had Shikieiki talk to her.

18. - Top - End - #558

I can't garuntee I remember correctly, but I think I nabed both tweli and Reisen after the final fight. I think Reisen, Tweli, Eirin, and Kaguya all can in one package. I may be misremembering though.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Banned

There are special conditions for getting Reisen to be part of that package. The first one is having Shikieiki fight her. The second i don't know, but has to be completed before conquering the Bamboo Forest. The third is automatic and just requires waiting as i understand it.

20. - Top - End - #560

Could it be something with Mokou? The only thing I did before destroying the forest(That is not on that list) was recruit Yuuka and Mokou, but I doubt it may be that.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Banned

I haven't even seen Mokou yet...

Does she live in the lonely house in the forest north of Eientei? Because in that case it appears she's her own faction. I still need to take the Bamboo Forest to get to her then.

22. - Top - End - #562

Yea, she joins the rest, but only after. I would recommend saving it, and progressing saved under a different slot, especially since currently you are just sitting there. You get about 90 anyway.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    There are special conditions for getting Reisen to be part of that package. The first one is having Shikieiki fight her. The second i don't know, but has to be completed before conquering the Bamboo Forest. The third is automatic and just requires waiting as i understand it.
    I'm not sure either, but when I finally gave up and finished taking the Bamboo Forest outright, the second Reisen event triggered for me after the battle ended. I'd suggest saving and just proceeding, like Tono said, and see what happens.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Banned

That does appear to be the solution. Just to conquer the damn place. I kinda wish i knew that before applying stalling techniques or heading off to beat the Prismriver Sisters.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

Guess what I'm planning to do that is Touhou related? I plan to give a review/provide commentary for SoundHolic's fanime. I might provide a link when I finish it.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

26. - Top - End - #566
    Banned

I've been trying to install UFO, but in order to get the translation patch to work i need to patch the game first. When i try to run the patch i get the following sequence of messages:

"差分ファイル [C:\Users\Terra\Touhou\th12_update100b.exe]
    差分ファイルの整合性をチェックしています...
    差分を適用するフォルダ [C:\Program Files\Undefinable Fantastic Object\]
    差分ファイルの情報を取得しています...
    旧バージョンのファイルを確認しています[MD5チェックサム]...
    --> [C:\Program Files\Undefinable Fantastic Object\readme.txt] MD5チェックサムを計算中...
    [エラー] 旧バージョンのファイル内容が異なります(MD5チェックサムが一致しない).
    差分ファイルの適用中にエラーが発生しました.
    作業途中のファイルを元に戻しています...
    作業途中のファイルを元に戻しました."

Which honestly doesn't mean a whole lot to me as a non-Japanese speaker. All i can tell for certain is that it isn't because i changed the name of the folder i'm trying to install to, i get the same result if i don't. Except for the name of the folder being different, of course.

27. - Top - End - #567

Your readme's checksum's gone bad.

Wonder how you managed that?

28. - Top - End - #568
    Banned

Probably the original download of the game. Gotta find a new copy then.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Banned

For reasons that aren't completely clear to me, i decided to read the four short stories about Maribel and Renko, letting the music they are set to play while i did so. And i must say that i found them surprisingly good, even with the terrible translation they have. I liked the odd, surreal atmosphere and found their musings about various topics, such as the limits of physics, to be surprisingly interesting and different from what i'd expect to see. Also despite how extremely short i found the characters surprisingly developed.

So i was both puzzled, they were even shorter than i had expected, i was also positively surprised. Even if these stories aren't terribly deeply tied with Gensokyo itself. I must also say that i really wouldn't want to live in the Japan of the near future, though. What with most animals and edible plants apparently extinct.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    I must also say that i really wouldn't want to live in the Japan of the near future, though. What with most animals and edible plants apparently extinct.
    Eh, they'd probably be replaced by androids or something.

Yes, edible androids.