New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Can you still level with a 100% experience penalty?

Coming off of the thread that was asking about multiclass experience penalties, what would happen if you had some sort of build that granted you a 100% experience penalty and then you read the book of exalted deeds? (the artifact in the DMG not the irl book :P)

I think you might still level... It doesn't give a set amount it sets your XP to a certain number. However the wording does say "you gain enough xp to" and infinite minus 100% is still zero.

What do you guys think? Also can you think of a way to level with still having a 100% experience penalty?
    I'm currently in the process of doing my own 3.5 rewrite i thought i should mention this and it may be relevant to most posts I make. As well i will always ask and answer questions from the DM's point of view.

I have access to all books (but no dragon magazines other than a few i have physical copies of) and i have a physical copy of of almost every book minus most of the campaign books.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Can you still level with a 100% experience penalty?

Why? What possible need does this line of questioning fulfill? What aspect of the game does this explore and clarify? How do we expand our knowledge by learning the nature of this particular limitation?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Damnit Cap'n Q, inquiring minds need to know. Thats why.

I would think that not even that could give you XP, and it would be a hard knock life for you.
    Adaptation of Child of Acavna and Amaznen into a "Spheres Fighter"
    Thank you Ganorenas

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Maynot View Post
    Damnit Cap'n Q, inquiring minds need to know. Thats why.

I would think that not even that could give you XP, and it would be a hard knock life for you.
    That's exactly why I need to know :) but really i have absolutely no use for the information i was just curious :P
    I'm currently in the process of doing my own 3.5 rewrite i thought i should mention this and it may be relevant to most posts I make. As well i will always ask and answer questions from the DM's point of view.

I have access to all books (but no dragon magazines other than a few i have physical copies of) and i have a physical copy of of almost every book minus most of the campaign books.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

How do you get to a 100% experience penalty from multiclassing?

1 first/3 second/5 third /7 fourth/9 fifth/11 sixth. So you need to be level 36 to have 6 base classes of sufficiently different level to have a 100% multiclass experience penalty. This is assuming you don't take any in a favored class.

That is impressive.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artillery View Post
    How do you get to a 100% experience penalty from multiclassing?

1 first/3 second/5 third /7 fourth/9 fifth/11 sixth. So you need to be level 36 to have 6 base classes of sufficiently different level to have a 100% multiclass experience penalty. This is assuming you don't take any in a favored class.

That is impressive.
    No, you can get a 100% XP penalty by level 8 or so. Say, as a Fighter 1/Monk 1/Rogue 1/Barbarian 1/Ranger 1/Swashbuckler 3 (Egads! It's so powerful!). You take a -20% XP penalty for each class that isn't within one level of your highest-level class.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-11-06 at 09:00 AM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah I was just about to say, this right here can show just how crazy it can be.
    Adaptation of Child of Acavna and Amaznen into a "Spheres Fighter"
    Thank you Ganorenas

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captnq View Post

Why? What possible need does this line of questioning fulfill? What aspect of the game does this explore and clarify? How do we expand our knowledge by learning the nature of this particular limitation?
    None. This is pure math nerd speaking, and I love the question. The same question applies when a math major asks you which algorithm approaches infinity more quickly.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Maynot View Post
    Yeah I was just about to say, this right here can show just how crazy it can be.
    Exactly that thread was why I made my thread :p

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

No, see, what you do is you get an experience penalty of greater than 100%, and then you try to lose experience. You'll instead lose a negative amount of experience, which causes you to, on net, gain experience, and you can still level up.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    No, see, what you do is you get an experience penalty of greater than 100%, and then you try to lose experience. You'll instead lose a negative amount of experience, which causes you to, on net, gain experience, and you can still level up.
    Craft a magic items and get XP for it!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Which I already covered in this thread.

Now I think the OP's question is great, but do we need two threads covering the same issue ?

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Deck of Many Things you Fool.
    Last edited by nedz; 2013-11-06 at 11:19 AM.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Male

Let's say you're a build with a 100% XP penalty.

I've got a trick for that!

Whether through UPD and power stones or the Soul Crystal power (from Magic of Incarnum), use Fusion on a viable creature with more HD than you. Before the duration expires, find a way to manifest Astral Seed. Again, Soul Crystal will work handily. If you're shapeshifted via Polymorph or whatever, you can give yourself all the racial abilities you care to have, and turning yourself into a low/no-LA and no-(racial)-HD race will make it easier for the DM to allow later steps. Once you're satisfied, you off yourself.

When you're finished reviving, you wake up as a gestalt of yourself and the other creature, using whatever form you shapeshifted into, and the other creature's HD total (since it was higher than yours). Then either use a rebuilding quest or permanent negative levels and a thought bottle, then retrain all the additional levels (including racial HD) into whatever classes you want.

Alternately, just retrain the levels that are giving you problems into caster levels so you won't need to multiclass to be decent.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2013-11-06 at 01:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Ahah! So that's where all the magic items are coming from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    Alternately, just retrain the levels that are giving you problems into caster levels so you won't need to multiclass to be decent.
    Don't you need xp to retrain ?

I was hoping for some exploit of XP Pen of 120%+, but no one has found one yet ?
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook