View Single Post

Thread: Sage Advice: Feats

1. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Sage Advice: Feats

Quote Originally Posted by Giant2005 View Post
    All of his rulings are exceptionally bad with the sole exception of Polearm Master which was so straight forward he couldn't possibly mess it up.

His interpretation of Crossbow Expert essentially turns a Hand Crossbow into a two-handed weapon which completely invalidates the Hand Crossbow's reason for existing. You may as well just use a Heavy Crossbow and call it a day. I also have no idea how he turned it into a two-handed weapon and still decided that the feat's third benefit would apply.

Lucky turning disadvantage into super advantage is monstrously bad and doesn't need any form of commentary as to why. It also turns enemy attacks with advantage into super disadvantage. I guess the smart combat technique is to make sure you use half your movement to lay down prone before a melee combatant attacks you.

As for Magic Initiate, not only is his ruling wrong (The feat flat out says that the spell can only be cast once per day, end of story) but it is also exceptionally weird. His clause that you can use spell slots to cast the spell but only if it is a spell your class has access to anyway flies in the face of what spell slots are. As per the Multiclassing rules, spell slots don't care one bit where the spell is coming from - in order to come up with his strange ruling, he had to literally invent a whole new mechanic which is contrary to the mechanics defined within the books. I do kind of like it though, it makes Magic Initiate far more useful.
    I agree with everything said here. Terrible terrible sage advice.

I will personally allow for hand crossbows to be strapped to the wrist or allow for repeating ones to be purchased. Twice with the same one invalidates any reason to dual wield them at all. No thanks.
    Last edited by Kryx; 2015-05-18 at 05:43 PM.