New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Curly's Rambunctious and Erudite Random Banter #140

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I'm about to read The Mind's Road to God by Saint Bonaventura. Why do I feel like this is going to be the thirteenth-century equivalent of a self-help book?
    Because that's exactly what it sounds like?

ION: I wish I had a couple extra arms, so that I could type and crochet at the same time.
    My preferred pronouns: they, them, their

When I speak I'll cross my fingers
    Will you know you've been deceived?
    I find the need to be a demon
    A demon cannot be hurt

2. - Top - End - #362
    Firbolg in the Playground

I wish I had the ability to read "crochet" as "crow-shay" rather than "crot-chett". I didn't realise they were even the same thing for ages.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

3. - Top - End - #363

Estoy contenta que soy baja.

Or some such thing. Yes.
    That's good

I've noticed something: because of the similarity in sound between 'for' and por, people who have a little Spanish but not a lot tend to use por exclusively and ignore para.

The other day at the library I saw a sign that, attempting to be bilingual said: Libros por los niños. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure in this context libros para los niños is what they meant. Books for kids.
    Depends on what they were trying to say, but I'm pretty sure that in that context it should be libros para niños (assuming it was supposed to be identifying a section of books for kids).
    The word los doesn't really fit; it would if the English translation was "Books for the kids", instead of "Books for kids".

Also curly's post reminded me that Letra is a synonym of Carta although I don't think it's used nowadays.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fostire View Post
    Depends on what they were trying to say, but I'm pretty sure that in that context it should be libros para niños (assuming it was supposed to be identifying a section of books for kids).
    The word los doesn't really fit; it would if the English translation was "Books for the kids", instead of "Books for kids".

Also curly's post reminded me that Letra is a synonym of Carta although I don't think it's used nowadays.
    Like I said, iffy Spanish. A large number of Americans had some in high school and remember just enough to be dangerous.

It occurs me that libras por niños could also be read as 'books written by children' . . . oh dear . . . .

Riss: Alas! Four arms would be useful for *lots* of things.

Also, my Firefox spazzes every time I try to work with more than one tab open at once. I'm sorta concerned.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

Hm...tried clearing out your cookies lately, Dee-Ree? Other than that, you could try a quick virus and malaware scan. Failing that, a full defrag might be what you need.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    Hm...tried clearing out your cookies lately, Dee-Ree? Other than that, you could try a quick virus and malaware scan. Failing that, a full defrag might be what you need.
    AVG automatically runs a virus scan every Wednesday, and I've been having this problem intermittently since before then. And the computer defrags, again automatically every week. I'll go for cookie clearing, though . . . .

7. - Top - End - #367

AVG automatically runs a virus scan every Wednesday, and I've been having this problem intermittently since before then. And the computer defrags, again automatically every week. I'll go for cookie clearing, though . . . .
    Make sure to clear your cache too. And if that doesn't work try re-installing firefox.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider
    It occurs me that libras por niños could also be read as 'books written by children' . . . oh dear . . . .
    Actually, in light of this, I have to say that sounds pretty great.
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

...Also, my Firefox spazzes every time I try to work with more than one tab open at once. I'm sorta concerned.
    It's because you're not using Chrome and Google is mad at you. Submit to Google and you can run all the tabs you like. Or don't and they totally won't steal your pets.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fostire View Post
    Make sure to clear your cache too. And if that doesn't work try re-installing firefox.
    Well, it cleared, anyway, as when I clicked "quote" it made me re-log in. it's a good thing my password is still stored though as I'm not quite sure which one I use on GitP . . . . >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Pheehelm View Post
    Actually, in light of this, I have to say that sounds pretty great.
    And since I opened a new tab to quote this and the words aren't two sentences behind my typing, and I can move the Firefox window around without freezing the computer, I'd say it worked. Excellent.

Also, I've been writing stories since before I actually knew how to write. When I was four my mum bought me a big whiteboard for my room and I used to draw cartoon panels on it. Great fun. Though, from a cursory look, I'd say that story is somewhat more sophisticated than the ones I came up with.

11. - Top - End - #371

Question:

DO any other semi-bi/tri/etc-lingual people find themselves slipping in and out of languages with relative frequency?
    Because recently it's just so simple to bounce in and out of French. And about one-fifth of the time I don't even realise I'm doing it.
    This annoys the family and those of my friends who can't speak French. Any way to stop this?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

12. - Top - End - #372
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't know how to stop it, but I know how to solve it, and it's an easy answer, as well. In fact, I'm kinda dealing with it.

Just teach them French!
    (Or whatever other language.)
    I'm gone for a couple of years!
    I'm off doing service in developing countries in South America
    (Very little chance of internet access) - I'll try to come back afterwards

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Question:

DO any other semi-bi/tri/etc-lingual people find themselves slipping in and out of languages with relative frequency?
    Because recently it's just so simple to bounce in and out of French. And about one-fifth of the time I don't even realise I'm doing it.
    This annoys the family and those of my friends who can't speak French. Any way to stop this?
    Me read as semi/bi/tri. Me only speak half the English.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

It's a sort of cognitive thing. You start thinking about speaking a language, and the part of your brain that processes that language turns on, and starts putting the words out there for you.

I've never studied any language far enough to get to that point. Though I think you should be safe as long as the language of your inner thoughts doesn't start to change. <.<;
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Curse your Introbulosity!

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

Question:

I do it with Spanish. It particularly manifests when I'm thinking about it, someone addresses me, and I turn around and say "¿Sí?" Also, more and more, when I'm asking questions, I'll start to say "¿Dónde están mis . . . erm, where are my shoes?" But I think the most often place is in my notes in class. I use the word "pero" far more than "but". And I find that more and more I know exactly what words mean but I find myself incapable of translating to English. This is actually a good thing. I can say (as a very simple example) "ella dijo" straight without having to go through "she said" first.
    Last edited by Dragonrider; 2010-04-13 at 06:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Like I said, iffy Spanish. A large number of Americans had some in high school and remember just enough to be dangerous.

Riss: Alas! Four arms would be useful for *lots* of things.

Also, my Firefox spazzes every time I try to work with more than one tab open at once. I'm sorta concerned.
    I just wanted to say that there's a tiny little mistake. "Libras por niños" would be translated as "Pounds by children". "Libros por niños" would be "books [written] by children". Also, I agree that just a little of any language could be dangerous.
    So I herd you liek Mudkipz by Mr. Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to both Mr Saturn and B-Man for their avatars!! Antiform Sora, Haloween Sora, Majora's Mask Link, Wolf Link & Midna, KH Sora and Christmas in July Sora

I was a Custom Title ITP!
    Lucky "Guess the Number" quote:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xykon_Fan View Post
    Great, Radikal fixed the dice...and by fixed, I mean "broke beyond repair and cheats irreparably."

17. - Top - End - #377

Question:

I do this all the time, with Chinese more than Spanish. And I definitely don't realise that I'm doing it until someone calls attention to it. I haven't found any way to stop it yet, so thankfully my friends just put up with my weirdness.
    My preferred pronouns: they, them, their

When I speak I'll cross my fingers
    Will you know you've been deceived?
    I find the need to be a demon
    A demon cannot be hurt

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Question:

This. Sometimes I'm pretty sure that I think better in English than in Spanish. As a result, whenever I talk to myself (which is often enough to be kinda freaky) I do it in English.

Edit: ^: You saved me from doubleposting n.n I've been out of this forum for a long time and Twitter gave me the terrible habit of posting one thing, then posting again whatever I think.
    Last edited by Skippy; 2010-04-13 at 06:32 PM.
    So I herd you liek Mudkipz by Mr. Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to both Mr Saturn and B-Man for their avatars!! Antiform Sora, Haloween Sora, Majora's Mask Link, Wolf Link & Midna, KH Sora and Christmas in July Sora

I was a Custom Title ITP!
    Lucky "Guess the Number" quote:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xykon_Fan View Post
    Great, Radikal fixed the dice...and by fixed, I mean "broke beyond repair and cheats irreparably."

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    I just wanted to say that there's a tiny little mistake. "Libras por niños" would be translated as "Pounds by children". "Libros por niños" would be "books [written] by children". Also, I agree that just a little of any language could be dangerous.
    Heh. That would be a typo. I do know the difference between the two words.

When you make a typo in a language you're really good at, it probably means you weren't paying attention . . . when you make one in a language you're still learning, it's much more likely it's from ignorance. But in this case, I really just wasn't paying attention.

Riss: Yeah, but I remember one time you and I were in the grocery store and you turned around and started speaking Spanish to me. Because, of course, you always comment on strange people in Spanish. But I remember you didn't realize you were doing it.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Today, I start a regimen of basic calisthenics and jogging. I am twenty minutes in.

I have concluded that I am going to die, immediately. Destroy all of my belongings.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #381

Question:

Well, when I'm talking to myself or chatting with Coplantor then I just use the first word that comes to my head regardless of if it's spanish or english, but other than that I usually stick to one language.
    I do often find myself thinking of a word in one language and being unable to remember the same word in the other one.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

One of my friends talks fairly fluent Japanese, and will mutter stuff in it.
    Honestly, I'm kinda jealous of her; I want to learn Japanese so I can import games and play them without being blind to the story.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

23. - Top - End - #383

One of my friends talks fairly fluent Japanese, and will mutter stuff in it.
    Honestly, I'm kinda jealous of her; I want to learn Japanese so I can import games and play them without being blind to the story.
    Tangentially related: my brother speaks fluent Japanese and has plenty of Japanese friends who he talks to over skype. Due to the large number of loan words Japanese has, it can be hilarious to hear him speaking. The funniest time was when I heard him say a lot of Japanese, then "Ausuturaria!" really loudly, and with loads of emphasis, then carry on. It was... highly amusing.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    Tangentially related: my brother speaks fluent Japanese and has plenty of Japanese friends who he talks to over skype. Due to the large number of loan words Japanese has, it can be hilarious to hear him speaking. The funniest time was when I heard him say a lot of Japanese, then "Ausuturaria!" really loudly, and with loads of emphasis, then carry on. It was... highly amusing.
    Oh, man, that's probably my favorite part of Japanese- the apparently random loan words.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

25. - Top - End - #385

He read me a sentence from his book that was half loan words. It was amusing to hear every other word as some sort of strangely pronounced English word.
    BANG → !

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

Question:

Yes.

Long answer: Yes. I generally pepper my conversations with Spanish, and what's REALLY annoying is I'm trying to learn Russian right now, and I'll know something in Spanish but not Russian, so you get these weird mongrel sentences in my brain, like "Necessito govaryoo para po-rooskie." (That alternated btwn Span/Russ, respectively.)
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    Today, I start a regimen of basic calisthenics and jogging. I am twenty minutes in.

I have concluded that I am going to die, immediately. Destroy all of my belongings.
    Do you want a stationary or aquatic funerary pyre?

Curly: Try just having them yell at you until you stop doing it so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

So I got a letter from the Science Fair people, saying I'd won an award. It was vague, unhelpful, and somewhat ominous. I know not everyone got this letter.

My biggest worry is that I'll be presented with the award next Thursday and it will turn out to be the award for "Single Most Notoriously Poorly Worded Presentation" or "Most Politically Incorrect Use of the Term 'Titer'"

29. - Top - End - #389
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What is a "titer."

Also, you're silly.

They don't warn you in those cases. They kidnap you at the dead of night and stick a black bag over your head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    So I got a letter from the Science Fair people, saying I'd won an award. It was vague, unhelpful, and somewhat ominous. I know not everyone got this letter.

My biggest worry is that I'll be presented with the award next Thursday and it will turn out to be the award for "Single Most Notoriously Poorly Worded Presentation" or "Most Politically Incorrect Use of the Term 'Titer'"
    "Most Flagrant Tampering in God's Domain."

"Best Color Balance."

"Most Radioactive."

"Densest Posterboard."

"Best Unintentional Reference to a Scorsese Film."
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show