New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: KuReshtin's Kallously Konfusing Konsternations - Random Banter #208

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    So... in other words, the definition I presented actually did remove the ambiguity, as it requires a vast majority of other countries to recognise it?
    ...It still applies to some places. Kosovo, for example. Or maybe Taiwan.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2014-07-23 at 11:07 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Basically, any location that has recently declared itself a country might or might not actually be one, depending on who you ask.
    I challenge you to submit a complete list of all countries currently in existence. Should be easy enough to find, right?
    This conversation reminds me of Eddie Izzard's flag skit. (warning: coarse language)

3. - Top - End - #363
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

...It still applies to some places. Kosovo, for example. Or maybe Taiwan.
    Kosovo is in transition, an independent state fighting for nation status. It is somewhat recognised, but not quite enough.

Taiwan is an island and a state. Unless their government tries to claim it as an independent state, rather than claiming control over all of China, it's pretty much going to stay that way. This one is somewhat ambiguous, but not by the definition I presented (by that, the answer is not a country).

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

So... in other words, the definition I presented actually did remove the ambiguity, as it requires a vast majority of other countries to recognise it?
    Not at all.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

Is Vatican City a country to you, Rawhide?
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2014-07-23 at 11:28 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

6. - Top - End - #366

Is Vatican City a country to you, Rawhide?
    Which nations dispute Vatican City's nation state status?

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

Which nations dispute Vatican City's nation state status?
    ...I'll take that as a yes. How many already-countries need to recognize an almost-country before it becomes another country?
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2014-07-24 at 12:11 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Colossus in the Playground

Hey guys just a heads up, if I vanish for whatever reason it's because fire has damaged the main power lines and lightning has struck the back up generators. Because of course it did.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...line-1.2715846

9. - Top - End - #369

...I'll take that as a yes. How many already-countries need to recognize an almost-country before it becomes another country?
    I'll be the first to admit that that definition isn't perfect. First, because we can't go into much more detail here regarding which other countries need to recognise it and why they are important without getting into politics, and second because there are other valid definitions which classify more (or possibly less) territories as countries. There are definitely countries excluded by that definition which I would include myself, but I'd have to argue them from a personal, rather than definitional, level.

10. - Top - End - #370

I'll be the first to admit that that definition isn't perfect. First, because we can't go into much more detail here regarding which other countries need to recognise it and why they are important without getting into politics, and second because there are other valid definitions which classify more (or possibly less) territories as countries. There are definitely countries excluded by that definition which I would include myself, but I'd have to argue them from a personal, rather than definitional, level.
    This amuses me if in part because I live in a territory of Yellowknife. The idea that we could, technically, be a country before good ole Quebec, the province that wishes to succeed every couple of years, makes me smile inside.

11. - Top - End - #371

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Hey guys just a heads up, if I vanish for whatever reason it's because fire has damaged the main power lines and lightning has struck the back up generators. Because of course it did.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...line-1.2715846
    Yikes, I hope everything goes well.

This amuses me if in part because I live in a territory of Yellowknife. The idea that we could, technically, be a country before good ole Quebec, the province that wishes to succeed every couple of years, makes me smile inside.
    Well, territory means "1. an area of land under the jurisdiction of a ruler or state" as well as "2. (Territory)(especially in the US, Canada, or Australia) an organized division of a country that is not yet admitted to the full rights of a state."

Is Yellowknife interested in succession?

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry, I can't watch YouTube videos at the moment, you will have to provide a link to a text based explanation.
    But... that means that you can't watch my videos...

13. - Top - End - #373

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Dahl View Post
    But... that means that you can't watch my videos...

It's only for a few days. And this animated gif won't load either.

14. - Top - End - #374

NecromancerGuy

Secession.

Succession crises are something completely different, though both can lead to civil wars.

I see the animated crying Dean gif, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

15. - Top - End - #375

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Secession.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I see the animated crying Dean gif, though.
    It's there, it just won't load for me on this connection.

16. - Top - End - #376

Yikes, I hope everything goes well.

Well, territory means "1. an area of land under the jurisdiction of a ruler or state" as well as "2. (Territory)(especially in the US, Canada, or Australia) an organized division of a country that is not yet admitted to the full rights of a state."

Is Yellowknife interested in succession?
    Thanks. Here's hoping.

Nope, not at all. Though I'm REALLY concerned about that "not yet admitted to the full rights of a state" bit. It'd explain a lot.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

I was clicking this thing, which spits out random combinations of a first and last name that seem vaguely similar to "Benedict Cumberbatch," and at one point both names were competing brands of allergy medication.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

18. - Top - End - #378

Thanks. Here's hoping.

Nope, not at all. Though I'm REALLY concerned about that "not yet admitted to the full rights of a state" bit. It'd explain a lot.
    Generally it means that the territory is governed in a different way to a state. For example, it might not have its own government, but is controlled by the federal government instead. You'll have to look up the specifics for Yellowknife yourself, though, as any more and we'll start to get into politics.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ettin in the Playground

1. Go to hardware store.
    2. Ask for four candles.
    3. ???
    4. PROFIT!

There are two references in the above list. Does anyone here recognize the one that isn't South Park?
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2014-07-24 at 02:24 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

20. - Top - End - #380

BlackDragon

Why not use the definition of "country" used by the TV gameshow Pointless--namely, a sovereign state recognised as such by the United Nations?

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Why not use the definition of "country" used by the TV gameshow Pointless--namely, a sovereign state recognised as such by the United Nations?
    Because of Vatican City, mostly.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Because of Vatican City, mostly.
    Even so, the Vatican's Flag still includes the colour White, so it would not be one of the flags I was looking for.

Also, were you looking for four candles or fork handles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    Even so, the Vatican's Flag still includes the colour White, so it would not be one of the flags I was looking for.
    True.
    Also, were you looking for four candles or fork handles?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

1. Go to hardware store.
    2. Ask for four candles.
    3. ???
    4. PROFIT!

There are two references in the above list. Does anyone here recognize the one that isn't South Park?
    and some 'oze.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The UN's recognition is incidental, not essential, to something's status as a country. Countries have existed long before the UN, and it's possible they'll exist after it.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

26. - Top - End - #386

LaZodiac:

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #387
    Dwarf in the Playground

and on a completely random and unrelated note, anybody else thinks windows 9 which will apparently be very similar between the tablet and PC version will be as badly thought through as win 8 was in that respect?
    Is there a point to make something for ones user base that ones user base do not want?
    Errare humanum est
    Live long and Prosper
    May the force be with you

28. - Top - End - #388

LaZodiac:

Spoiler
    Show
    Hahaha, I love that.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

I was clicking this thing, which spits out random combinations of a first and last name that seem vaguely similar to "Benedict Cumberbatch," and at one point both names were competing brands of allergy medication.
    Oh my. I...can't post the name it just gave because of the Forum Rules. Let's just say it isn't a word you want your kid to come asking you "Hey Mom, what does this word mean?

EDIT: Ok I will be honest, about half of them are rather inappropriate. Funny, but very, very wrong.

LaZodiac:

Spoiler
    Show
    This has just made my morning.
    Last edited by EmeraldRose; 2014-07-24 at 08:52 AM.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

30. - Top - End - #390
    Firbolg in the Playground

LaZodiac:

Spoiler
    Show
    Am I the only one that was reading the names to the tune of Llama, Llama, Duck by the end of the list?