New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis J Hyena's Super Hyena Fun Show: Random Banter Thread #215

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    I had an interesting thought occur to me today.

I grew up with "all swearing is bad no matter what." This was reinforced by being homeschooled. This has caused one problem - I find it very hard to gauge the relative strength of any word stronger than "crap." They were all bad and offensive, so it's a lot harder to judge what's really offensive and what's just sorta-bad.
    Well, it's mostly dependent on context. Most words are not inherently objectionable by themselves (racial slurs and a few other sorts generally being exceptions to this rule), but the setting and the people you're talking to can make different phrases more or less acceptable. People that never swear will be put off by much milder stuff than people who sprinkle vulgar words into casual conversation (e.g. me irl), and different cultures have different hierarchies of what's more likely to offend someone.

If you're just looking for a general idea of what "counts" and what doesn't, the gitp forum censor is a pretty okay metric for what most people are comfortable with hearing. With maybe a few exceptions, if you can say it here without your word being overwritten by asterisks, you're probably cool to say it out in public and even the more uptight people probably won't bat an eyelash.
    A few odds and ends.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Ettin in the Playground

Of course, I'm online here reading about the Scunthorpe problem on TV tropes...some of the examples are pretty funny.

(And yes, I had to circumvent the forum filter to get that one in.)
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2016-12-06 at 04:03 PM.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Ettin in the Playground

Of course, I'm online here reading about the Scunthorpe problem on TV tropes...some of the examples are pretty funny.

(And yes, I had to circumvent the forum filter to get that one in.)
    You mean that thing that's like Pen Island but not exactly?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Well, it's mostly dependent on context. Most words are not inherently objectionable by themselves (racial slurs and a few other sorts generally being exceptions to this rule), but the setting and the people you're talking to can make different phrases more or less acceptable. People that never swear will be put off by much milder stuff than people who sprinkle vulgar words into casual conversation (e.g. me irl), and different cultures have different hierarchies of what's more likely to offend someone.

If you're just looking for a general idea of what "counts" and what doesn't, the gitp forum censor is a pretty okay metric for what most people are comfortable with hearing. With maybe a few exceptions, if you can say it here without your word being overwritten by asterisks, you're probably cool to say it out in public and even the more uptight people probably won't bat an eyelash.
    I gotta fully agree on this one. Personally I majorly cuss in "forum appropriate" way IRL, but depending on the group I might let a looot of different words slip in or even not use any form of craptaculars at all.

It's a silly world.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    You mean that thing that's like Pen Island but not exactly?
    Pretty much, yeah.

Also known as the Clbuttic problem.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    I gotta fully agree on this one. Personally I majorly cuss in "forum appropriate" way IRL, but depending on the group I might let a looot of different words slip in or even not use any form of craptaculars at all.

It's a silly world.
    As I've heard someone say before, it doesn't matter if all you say when you're mad is "waffle iron" if you say it with enough venom to melt a crucifix.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    As I've heard someone say before, it doesn't matter if all you say when you're mad is "waffle iron" if you say it with enough venom to melt a crucifix.
    Yup. My mum surely has taught me the art of rolling around with words to express my emotions. Quite a lot of times they aren't even words, but... any syllable really that comes into mind instead of the one that is about to come out.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Titan in the Playground

I tend to just sputter. Sometimes I say "what the actual" and don't add the expletive. I don't think I've ever actually said any of the words on The List except very quietly in elementary school. No problem with hearing them, they just never seen justified.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I tend to just sputter. Sometimes I say "what the actual" and don't add the expletive. I don't think I've ever actually said any of the words on The List except very quietly in elementary school. No problem with hearing them, they just never seen justified.
    That's similar to myself. I don't see much point in actually using them, as it's easy enough to add emphasis without using strong expletives, especially ones that might cause offense, or upset someone. However, they do serve as a useful judge of when I'm genuinely angry or upset, and need to step away, because it's only then that I actually start using them in my head.

I... I wouldn't say I don't mind if other people use them, though, preferably not to me, but I won't stop them. No point in imposing my own values onto another person.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ettin in the Playground

Lettuce.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ettin in the Playground

I work with a bunch of ex-military folks, and they have, if nothing else, greatly reinforced my habit of swearing all the time. Most of it isn't even meant to be obscene - it might as well be punctuation at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I tend to just sputter.

Sometimes I say "what the actual" and don't add the expletive. I don't think I've ever actually said any of the words on The List except very quietly in elementary school. No problem with hearing them, they just never seen justified.
    I do this when I get particularly frustrated with something - usually just strings of incomplete phrases. Granted, it doesn't stop me from swearing, I just stop sounding coherent after I run out of different obscenities to use.
    A few odds and ends.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Swear words are essentially power words, in that the more you use them, the less power they have. Consider someone who swears just about every other sentence. You may be offended, but you expect it from them. The words have no power. Now, when someone who has never sworn in the 20 years you've known them drops "the f-bomb", everybody stops and pays attention to what they have to say.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

13. - Top - End - #1453

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Swear words are essentially power words, in that the more you use them, the less power they have.
    The same applies to the person using the swear words. Saw a TV programme once where they did an experiment--they got two actors to put their hands in iced water to see how long they could hold them in there, then did the same experiment with the same two people but asked them to cuss out loud while their hand was in the water. In both cases they could hold their hand in the water longer while cussing than when not, but Brian Blessed (who's fairly foul-mouthed) didn't see as much of a benefit as Stephen Fry (who rarely swears).

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    swear words......
    cussing......
    A bit over 16 years ago when I was a new plumbing apprentice, one of the journeyman plumber's said to me, "Kid, you don't curse enough. We're going to teach you to curse".

They did (worse years of my life).

Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Titan in the Playground

I do this when I get particularly frustrated with something - usually just strings of incomplete phrases. Granted, it doesn't stop me from swearing, I just stop sounding coherent after I run out of different obscenities to use.
    When the computer is behaving odd, undefined or otherwise out of my control, I devolve into unfinished sentences jammed into one another as well. I generally stop before reaching any explicitives, though, as I generally don't swear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Swear words are essentially power words, in that the more you use them, the less power they have. Consider someone who swears just about every other sentence. You may be offended, but you expect it from them. The words have no power. Now, when someone who has never sworn in the 20 years you've known them drops "the f-bomb", everybody stops and pays attention to what they have to say.
    Well, most people haven't known me for 20 years, but I had this happen to me with a slightly more recent circle of friends. I usually go through lengths to not only avoid cursing (unless the situation warrants it), but also avoid obvious substitutions or omissions (like "heck" or "what the..."), so I guess it's notable that I don't swear. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I'm fairly sure it was at Tuesday Gaming Club, and I don't think it was really warranted, but I cursed over something or to emphasise something, and some people interrupted whatever they were up to out of surprise. They just hadn't heard me swear before.

As a sidenote, since I also try to stay off all religious expressions, even when they're not even considered curses, I've become quite aware of exactly how many power words are rooted in Christianity. Like using "heaven" (or more likely, derivatives thereof) as a power word. Or a Swedish interjection for surprise, "jösses", which I'm fairly sure is an ancient bastardisation of "Jesus", but which carries just about no religious connotations whatsoever nowadays...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't think I've ever sworn in my life - unless crap counts - but that doesn't stop me from doing this.

"What the mothersonafa - DAGNABBIT" is not uncommon to those who know me.
    And, yes, I do use dagnabbit. It started off - as so many things do - being ironic, until one day it came naturally.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Ettin in the Playground

Oddly I learned to swear in graduate school. I was the only girl, and I it was kind of a thing of "you don't have to be extra-careful around me just because I'm a woman."

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Ettin in the Playground

I swear frequently at myself, and at politics. In other areas it's much less common (but not absent).

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Titan in the Playground

And, yes, I do use dagnabbit. It started off - as so many things do - being ironic, until one day it came naturally.
    For me that happened with "Bleep". I eventually stopped that because people kept laughing.

In other news: I have a new keyboard! It is in no way a new keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Ettin in the Playground

Vsauce edits are ****ed up. Not sure if "Vsauce edits" is the correct term, though.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2016-12-07 at 08:29 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

21. - Top - End - #1461

I'm the stupidest ****ing human in existence.

There's someone on my Steam list, probably from here, from my group of friends. And I can't remember who. And they're not telling me because it's funnier this way.

Help.

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Troll in the Playground

I'm the stupidest ****ing human in existence.

There's someone on my Steam list, probably from here, from my group of friends. And I can't remember who. And they're not telling me because it's funnier this way.

Help.
    I'd suggest process of elimination, but, unfortunately that still leaves an enormous subset of the internet.

So... maybe don't think about it, and it'll pop into your head when you're doing something else and can't write it own, as stray thoughts are wont to do?

Other than that... well, can't really help you, my aplogies. Mainly because my amount of friends could be counted on four or five hands* so I can easily keep track.

*Disclaimer: Does not actually have more than two hands. So please, don't call the scientists to take me bac- er, take me to their labs.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

23. - Top - End - #1463

I figured it out it was Rawhide.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Ettin in the Playground

I figured it out it was Rawhide.
    Scuze me while I fall over laughing.

Naughty Rawhide.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Troll in the Playground

Scuze me while I fall over laughing.

Naughty Rawhide.
    Seconded. To both parts.

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Troll in the Playground

... that reminds me, I have one or two people on my steam friendlist from here that I have like no idea who they are. Damn it people, why don't you use the same username everywhere?!
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    ... that reminds me, I have one or two people on my steam friendlist from here that I have like no idea who they are. Damn it people, why don't you use the same username everywhere?!
    Usually, either because it's taken, or their interests change over time. I don't use the same username as when I was in high school, for example, because the reference is dated to me now.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, I'm lucky - I don't even have steam. I think I used to have it...but... I barely remember using it.

But I think my handle there was also "lacco36"... well, I must say that if I knew my first name was not taken here, I would have used it as my handle here
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Troll in the Playground

I know that for things like, say, Skype, I tend to "rename" people to include everything else I know them as. If there isn't that functionality, I keep a list. Of course, since I don't have a lot of people I know between places, that list is very short.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Ettin in the Playground

So I figured out how to play nethack online at work.

******* gnome with a wand of sleep.

Edit: managed to follow it up with death by kitten while changing armor. That one was me not paying enough attention though.
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2016-12-08 at 07:01 PM.