New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 2D8HP's extended mea culpa and Random Banter #218

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    No matter how far away I stand, I can't hear "yanny" without a bit of tone-shifting.
    That's so weird. Because, for me, there is absolutely zero question about whether or not the first vowel is "a" as in angry, or that the last one is a long "eee" sound.
    And I don't know why I'm engaging this because all it does is make me angry to hear about it because I'm obviously right and anyone who hears "laurel" has a condition.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

I have several "conditions" but none of them are related to that.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

3. - Top - End - #63

DwarfFighterGuy

Camp Yanny forever! Though I'll admit that it doesn't really sound like a word

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Wait, you actually rolled stats back in the day? Not at home? In front of people?

How did you qualify for anything?
    As I recall, there used to be a rule that would allow you to lower one stat by 2 to increase another by 1, so, if you fancied being a fighter but rolled 3 for your Strength, you could bring that back up to tolerable regions by basically dumping every other stat but Constitution.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

... sigh.

My hospital and health care bills are gonna be about 300 euros for now, and it's gonna get even steeper due to my future evaluation for surgery and then the upcoming surgery itself. It's such a lie when people talk about free health care in Finland. It freaking isn't. Not anymore. For a pish poor student like me this is hitting me really hard. On top of all this, I got a 124€ fine from the car crash and I'm in dire need of new glasses. A visit to the eye doctor will be around 80-90€, plus the glasses themselves will be around 300 euros (I went around opticians today asking about their pricings, I need glasses plus sunglasses).

AARHG.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Oh, geez. I like heat as much as the next Canadian (wait... I'm not sure if that's how that's supposed to go...), but that's excessive. I know my room in particular has that issue, and putting up thick posterboard in the summer really helped. (The fact that it's white still helped to let some glow in.)
    Do...Do Canadians just put posterboard over their windows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

On my phone, I could only hear "yanny". On my computer with better speakers, it's always "laurel". Unlike the dress, I'm pretty sure what you listen through will sway which one you hear.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    ... sigh.

My hospital and health care bills are gonna be about 300 euros for now, and it's gonna get even steeper due to my future evaluation for surgery and then the upcoming surgery itself. It's such a lie when people talk about free health care in Finland. It freaking isn't. Not anymore. For a pish poor student like me this is hitting me really hard. On top of all this, I got a 124€ fine from the car crash and I'm in dire need of new glasses. A visit to the eye doctor will be around 80-90€, plus the glasses themselves will be around 300 euros (I went around opticians today asking about their pricings, I need glasses plus sunglasses).

AARHG.
    If it makes you feel better, I have had to spend around 1k USD on my wife's pregnancy, and around 500 dollars on discovering I had sleep apnea. And both my wife and I have really good insurance.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Yes, when it's extremely hot and/or bright outside.

I can hear you wondering "what about curtains?"

I wonder that too.
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 87: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

10. - Top - End - #70

I live in what is probably one of the warmest places in Canada - seriously, we go North to enter the States - and I've never seen this.
    Canada is a big place, though, and what's commonplace varies wildly.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh, *I* see. This is like car insurance all over again, you dangle the incentives for the new people but just don't care about the loyal banterers who have been here for years?
    I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be some kind of benefit programme for us oldtimers too, but the oldtimers of my prime era never explained it to me, so I can't pass it on. It would explain why there are so few oldtimers around as well, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Elanasaurus View Post

I see you're also into the custom smilie business!

Quote Originally Posted by Elanasaurus View Post
    You should visit the tropics sometime.
    I have a few times in the past. As I said, the problem isn't that it's hot, the problem is that it's unseasonably hot, which means wild temperature swings, and all the buildings I have to be in lack proper cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I just noticed the tags included apologizing. That made me smile. Can't believe I missed that.
    Oo, that's cute.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Does anyone have a consistently bad day of the week? For me, never fails, Tuesday ends up falling apart. Always. You could make a movie out of my bad day yesterday, and the ending would be me finally settling into bed, closing my eyes, murmuring thank God it's over. And then the eyes shooting open again because I got a phone call from work.
    Not consistently, no. However, my long commute and kinda unfortunate ability to handle sleep deprivation really well does tend to build up some kind of hidden stress capacitor, and every now and then it will unload and I will sleep straight through the apocalypse if it so decides to happen that morning, naturally causing me to get really late for work. It's not something that gets me into trouble, but it's never fun to see 2-3 hours cut from your flex account in a single sweep.

Not as bad as your situation sounds, though.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72

... sigh.

AARHG.
    Oh god, that's terrible. I'm sorry Finn

Only if you're looking to save money. Up here we use blinder curtains to block out the sun.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Probably not, no. It's just what I do, (was taught by my family,) because it's cheap and it helps.

Also, I've got no air conditioning, so...
    Yes, when it's extremely hot and/or bright outside.

I can hear you wondering "what about curtains?"

I wonder that too.
    ...huh, or there's someone else who does it, too.

And, yeah, I have curtains, they're just not terribly effective at keeping out the heat in the warmest months of the year. Having both really helps.

I live in what is probably one of the warmest places in Canada - seriously, we go North to enter the States - and I've never seen this.
    Canada is a big place, though, and what's commonplace varies wildly.
    Yeah, I didn't expect it to be particularly common. Heck, I'm surprised that even one other person does it.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

I live in California, but all native Californians are eternally cold. Unless you live in the Southern bit, but then there's your problem. Then again, blackout curtains should help, but they can get expensive.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Just get AC and run it damn near all day, every day. Maybe a few months in the winter you don't need it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Just get AC and run it damn near all day, every day. Maybe a few months in the winter you don't need it.
    Well, everyone has AC no matter how low it is. You definitely need it in the winter too! There are plenty of cold-themed monsters with high attack bonuses

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    If it makes you feel better, I have had to spend around 1k USD on my wife's pregnancy, and around 500 dollars on discovering I had sleep apnea. And both my wife and I have really good insurance.
    Well, not exactly, since it's all relative. I know how **** expensive everything is in the US. I was in a car accident there, and the hospital bill for the 3 hours I was in was around 5000-6000$. I already know "things are worse elsewhere blah blah."
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SodaQueen View Post
    Well, everyone has AC no matter how low it is. You definitely need it in the winter too! There are plenty of cold-themed monsters with high attack bonuses
    No AC here, which is unfortunate as less than a year ago we had the hottest day ever recorded here.

In contrast:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    As a little boy I saw snow for a couple of days in 1976.

It was a very big deal, I wonder if it will happen again in my lifetime?

Normally winter means rain (or just day long fog).

We usually do have a couple of nights of freezing temperature (and I try to remember to valve off and drain the backyard hose bibs so the pipes don't burst).

But snow in town?

A fading memory.

Well, not exactly, since it's all relative. I know how **** expensive everything is in the US. I was in a car accident there, and the hospital bill for the 3 hours I was in was around 5000-6000$. I already know "things are worse elsewhere blah blah."

But the advantage of that is apparently you can actually earn a good living in pharmaceutical sales (my wife's did some research).
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

19. - Top - End - #79

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    And, yeah, I have curtains, they're just not terribly effective at keeping out the heat in the warmest months of the year.
    In my experience, what happens when the sun shines on closed curtains is that the curtains heat up and then start radiating that heat into the room--if anything, it gets *warmer* than if you had them open, unless you happen to be sitting in the direct sunlight.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    In my experience, what happens when the sun shines on closed curtains is that the curtains heat up and then start radiating that heat into the room--if anything, it gets *warmer* than if you had them open, unless you happen to be sitting in the direct sunlight.
    I don't see any reason why the room would get warmer, since that same heat would be heating whatever is being the curtains.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

21. - Top - End - #81

BlackDragon

I don't see any reason why the room would get warmer, since that same heat would be heating whatever is being the curtains.
    Like I said, it's just my experience. The main point is, it doesn't seem to *reduce* the heat generated in any way?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Hand of Fate 2 is a great game, even if my character sometimes acts like Abridged Gohan in combat.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    I see you're also into the custom smilie business!
    I'm on mobile, so I get all the smilies from the OOTS Smilies thread.
    I have a few times in the past. As I said, the problem isn't that it's hot, the problem is that it's unseasonably hot, which means wild temperature swings, and all the buildings I have to be in lack proper cooling.
    Oh. Unseasonably. Misread that.

EDIT:
    That's so weird. Because, for me, there is absolutely zero question about whether or not the first vowel is "a" as in angry, or that the last one is a long "eee" sound.
    And I don't know why I'm engaging this because all it does is make me angry to hear about it because I'm obviously right and anyone who hears "laurel" has a condition.
    I hear both at the same time! Listen for the growl in the background.
    Last edited by Elanasaurus; 2018-05-17 at 06:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Regarding the posterboarded window, combining that with curtains also allows you to sleep because of how much sunlight we get in the summer.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Hand of Fate 2 is a great game, even if my character sometimes acts like Abridged Gohan in combat.
    Please, describe this game more to me.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Please, describe this game more to me.
    It's a roguelite with Arkham Style combat and a card-based metaprogression.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Regarding the posterboarded window, combining that with curtains also allows you to sleep because of how much sunlight we get in the summer.
    Yeah it's a common trick among night shift workers pretty much anywhere. Posterboard behind your curtains means it stays actually DARK.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a roguelite with Arkham Style combat and a card-based metaprogression.
    I will someday stream that game for you. I have it on my list, per your request.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

29. - Top - End - #89
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm off to a church camp/retreat in the morning! So excited . . . hoping most of all to learn a lot and make connections with people . I'm trying not to get my hopes up unreasonably high (which is difficult).

I just really want to find some friends to share things with (and we can grow together). I have never had a friend who shares my faith and I really want one.

Whatever happens, I know there'll be good bits, and I've got so many butterflies in my stomach right now!
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 87: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'm off to a church camp/retreat in the morning! So excited . . . hoping most of all to learn a lot and make connections with people . I'm trying not to get my hopes up unreasonably high (which is difficult).

I just really want to find some friends to share things with (and we can grow together). I have never had a friend who shares my faith and I really want one.

Whatever happens, I know there'll be good bits, and I've got so many butterflies in my stomach right now!
    Good Luck!