New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Questionable Content XX: XXX?

A few more snarkers on Reddit have pointed out that Iris wasn't a cafeteria worker, she was a groundskeeper.

Personally, I prefer the interpretation that she is just incapable - either through her personality or dumb misfortune - of holding down the same job for more than a couple of months at a time. From jaded cafeteria worker, to apathetic groundskeeper, to Cursed Goth Burrito store, to whatever else, that's much more fun little bit of world-building and backstory for her than just "Jeph forgot again"

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    I hope this streak keeps up and we don't abruptly break to claire or ayo being high.
    Wasn't this party Ayo's idea in the first place? She went around inviting people to it, at least, so presumably we'll go back to her at some point.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

This doesn't really seem like a proportionate response to Liz's needling Iris to come inside and join the fun.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    This doesn't really seem like a proportionate response to Liz's needling Iris to come inside and join the fun.
    I dunno. Iris reads to me like someone with a lot of social anxiety, and I had a whole post in my head criticizing Liz's behaviour this week. I only didn't post it because I'm trying to turn down the negativity.

If I'm in Iris's position, I left the party because I need some space. Like "incipient panic attack" need. If someone comes out and wants to have a quiet conversation with me, great. But someone coming out trying to psychoanalyze me and drag me back into the party would be the LAST thing I want. That person being high and/or stoned would only make it worse, because the lack of inhibitions would be pissing me off even more.

So yeah, I can see myself going "psychoanalyze THIS" in an attempt to get the other person to leave me the hell alone. And then feeling bad when I realize I've done some real damage with my words. Today's comic feels really genuine.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I dunno. Iris reads to me like someone with a lot of social anxiety, and I had a whole post in my head criticizing Liz's behaviour this week. I only didn't post it because I'm trying to turn down the negativity.

If I'm in Iris's position, I left the party because I need some space. Like "incipient panic attack" need. If someone comes out and wants to have a quiet conversation with me, great. But someone coming out trying to psychoanalyze me and drag me back into the party would be the LAST thing I want. That person being high and/or stoned would only make it worse, because the lack of inhibitions would be pissing me off even more.

So yeah, I can see myself going "psychoanalyze THIS" in an attempt to get the other person to leave me the hell alone. And then feeling bad when I realize I've done some real damage with my words. Today's comic feels really genuine.
    I think I disagree with that. Iris wants someone to come out and tell her to come back inside and have fun, she doesn't want to be out there alone. That was established a couple pages ago. The problem here is that Liz called her on it as basically the first thing she said, so now she feels like she needs to maintain the edgy loner thing in order to preserve her dignity.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I think it might be a tiny little more accurate to say that Iris would like for Willow to come out and invite her back in. Everyone else seems fully aware of her infatuation, it's only Willow who seems not to which is why Iris can be so rude to everyone else. In her mind, not only is she keeping up her edgy persona but they're "the wrong one" so gets to 'punish' them for what she perceives as spoiling her attempt for attention.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2024-05-24 at 01:35 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I like Willow too. A few years ago J Jaques had baker boss girl complain that she had to be the mom friend and bully her coworkers into asking dudes out for dates. Very tone deaf. But Willow just gets the vibes and does the emotional work to keep things groovy. Very astute.
    yo

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Did claire suffer any effects of being stoned? She seems exactly the same? I thought the whole point was ro tone down her personal responsibility for everyone else.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2024-05-29 at 04:13 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Did claire suffer any effects of being stoned? She seems exactly the same? I thought the whole point was ro tone down her personal responsibility for everyone else.
    She said "None of our business." That's pretty unprecedented.