New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Long Rest Spell Point Warlock

So I am looking to join a heavy survival campaign where the DM has said he will have us use the spell point variant and warlocks would just be long rest casters. I find this interesting and depending on the frequency of short rests, it will be either a boon or bane at different level break points.

My main question is I am set on playing a pact of the genie, but not sure whether to go Dao or Efreeti. I plan on going Pact of the Chain and grabbing an Imp. While the spike growth cheese grater has nice damage numbers, it would take a turn to set up if before I start eldritch blast spam. How does Stone Shape and Wall of Stone play out in combat RP/Exploration compared to the blasting capabilities of getting Fireball and Flame Strike?

I think I like the damage typing for Dao better (bludgeoning damage and resistance) but does Fireball just take the cake?

Input on people's experience with either warlocks using spell points or the different spell lists and their usefulness would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Long Rest Spell Point Warlock

What about the rest of the party? Both fireball and wall of stone are great spells to have so you cant really go wrong either way, but if someone else has them that can help you decide.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I have found that sanctuary, Spike Growth, meld into stone, stone shape, and wall of stone are handy in a lot of different ways.

Sanctuary: If you have a support caster who does not attack, or who uses stuff like web and slow, you can protect them a bit with sanctuary, but your team has to work well together for that to work.
    Spike Growth: you know how it works
    Meld into Stone: Scouting and hiding.
    Stone Shape: lots of utility. (Lock people in, lock people out have both cropped up in our games).
    Wall of Stone; shape the battlefield.

For the genie item: I recommend ring.
    You can get into it, your ally can carry you around, and then you can pop out at just the right moment. We've used it that was a number of times.

I recommend Dao.
    You can blast with other spells.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-05-04 at 03:20 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I have found that sanctuary, Spike Growth, meld into stone, stone shape, and wall of stone are handy in a lot of different ways.

Sanctuary: If you have a support caster who does not attack, or who uses stuff like web and slow, you can protect them a bit with sanctuary, but your team has to work well together for that to work.
    Spike Growth: you know how it works
    Meld into Stone: Scouting and hiding.
    Stone Shape: lots of utility. (Lock people in, lock people out have both cropped up in our games).
    Wall of Stone; shape the battlefield.

For the genie item: I recommend ring.
    You can get into it, your ally can carry you around, and then you can pop out at just the right moment. We've used it that was a number of times.

I recommend Dao.
    You can blast with other spells.
    I think I have settled on Dao. Their spells seem likely to add more fun in non-combat situations. I think I am leaning to Custom Lineage since I am usually feat hungry. What feats might you recommend?

I was thinking Inspiring leader, eventually resilient CON, Crusher, Telekinetic, Metamagic Adept (quicken and Subtle, quicken to cast sickening radiance and then push people into it for two possible ticks). Lucky/Alert/Fey Touched are other considerations.

We are rolling for stats with the option to take standard if we don't like what we rolled so some choices may be stat dependent.

Invocations I am looking at are: Agonizing Blast, Repelling Blast, Grasp of hadar, Lance of lethargy, Voice of the chain master, Eldritch Mind, Ghostly Gaze, Gift of ever living ones, visions of distant realms, chains of carceri, shroud of shadows. Not sure exactly what would make the cut, but I do want a utility and combat covered through my invocations.