New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Raiser's Rambunctiously Rambling Random Banter #98

Re: languages:

I've dabbled in Mandarin, Spanish, and Farsi (the last the most), and it's fascinating what similarities come up between seemingly unrelated languages. Not so much Mandarin, but for example, daughter in Farsi is dokhtár. Brother is barádar. Admittedly, Farsi is a Germanic language (it uses an Arabic script but it is in fact much more closely related to European languages), but I still think it's interesting. Or how similar the word for mother is in every language?

Yeah. I could go on...but I won't.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Re: languages:

I've dabbled in Mandarin, Spanish, and Farsi (the last the most), and it's fascinating what similarities come up between seemingly unrelated languages. Not so much Mandarin, but for example, daughter in Farsi is dokhtár. Brother is barádar. Admittedly, Farsi is a Germanic language (it uses an Arabic script but it is in fact much more closely related to European languages), but I still think it's interesting. Or how similar the word for mother is in every language?

Yeah. I could go on...but I won't.
    I will though... Pan is 'bread' in Korean, Japanese, possibly some Chinese dialects, as well as many Latin languages.

Oh yeah, and supposedly Japanese shows some Hungarian influence, for some bizarre reason. I guess someone got a little lost...
    Last edited by randman22222; 2008-06-22 at 03:58 PM.
    This avatar by Phase.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Firbolg in the Playground

And in French too.
    Le pain.
    I think it may be the same in Spanish too.
    All points to one original language which has diversifie now into what, three hundred plus languages.
    Not including fictional ones.

Also, it's far too birght. I don't have the light on and I can still read by natural light. And my window faces west.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Banned

This is why I believe Summer is the most unnatural season.

I generally know the time by how bright it is outside, but when its like this, sunny all day, I require a watch. And since a watch is magical devilry and this is caused by this season I can deduce that Summer is in league with dark forces.

...Okay... Getting tired... Losing coherence... G'night everybody!

Oh yeah, and now my frankly stupid ramblings come in MSN flavour, if ya' wanna' add me.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2008-06-22 at 04:39 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, I tried to invent a language called 'gibereesh' once. I gave up after the first word: "inichcess", meaning genitals...

Yeah...

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ettin in the Playground

[nerd confession] I have invented three languages. [/nerd confession]

Aywen (ema noni luasyr Aywen?),
    Korbeth (Korbeth naníol kíor) (my sig's language),
    and Meroned (kabbat ak or ody),

in order of invention (and sophistication). Each not only has its own vocabulary (of approximately 1200 words apiece), but also its own grammar, style, sound, and script.

God, I'm a geek.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, that is geeky but also very awesome.

I haven't created any languages sadly, II don;t have the commitment necessary and Phase when i read that word, all I could think was INXS.
    I've got sixteen demon roaches, but they ate my cookies.
    My new website/blog:

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wow. Does anyone else speak them? I tried creating my own language once, but i didn't get very far. Just a few words.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Bugbear in the Playground

My friend has created a language, a world, and a few races for a book she eventually wants to write. That's pretty dang cool.

I learned some of the language (I think that means we hang out too much... )
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."

-Abraham Lincoln
    Love wins.
    my blog.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Wow. Does anyone else speak them? I tried creating my own language once, but i didn't get very far. Just a few words.
    No REAL people speak them besides me, but quite a few fictional characters have the privelage.

That's how I built the vocabulary in the first place - writing dialogue and translating poetry.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ogre in the Playground

As for language... I know a tiny amount of Japanese >.> Can't spell or write it though... Besides the kanji for wolf....

As for writting language, I fully understand, read/write easily the ancient/magic language from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

*confirms that Pan is bread in Spanish*

I created a language for a story once, too. I should finish that story sometime... it also had real grammar rules and stuff like that, but I don't think anyone could hold a conversation in it, given that the only words that existed were those spoken by the characters.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ogre in the Playground

Reminds me...

A friend of my created his own language... Own grammar rules... Everything, the whole thing... The WHOLE thing.... It's scary... It's like it's a real language that they probably speak in Africa or something...

14. - Top - End - #1064

Well, it happens... I mean, someone made up Esperanto, right? And Klingon, right?

That's only as far as languages go, of course. If we go into ciphers, then I've learned (and forgotten) two ciphers in my life:

I used to know Gnomish from Artemis Fowl. I could actually read it Fluently.

I also learned Al Bhed from Final Fantasy X, but I forgot that one really fast. Plus, I don't think many people can be fluent enough to hold a conversation in it, at least spoken.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh yeah... Have a small confession

I've ONLY Final Fantasy's I played are Final Fantasy 1 (first one I played, on an emulator), FFII (GBA game, came with 1), FFVII (It still wows me, overhyped, but still good) and FFXII... With FFXII, the constant need to level up got annoying, like FF1 for the NES (Took me 6 hours to level up enough properly to beat the first boss... Which you find in the first 10 minutes).

I've beaten FF1 LOADS of times (All red mage playthrough!), and I've beaten FFVII just the other day. Those are the only ones I've beaten.

Right now, I'm doing a Nanaki-only runthrough of FFVII.

So yeah, Ima Red Mage who doesn't play hardly any Final Fantasys I'm more of an Fire Emblem type guy, though I like Okami more... But... You don't want to hear my Okami-fan-boy speach about how awesome Okami is. (If you haven't gotten it Haruki... GET IT. NAO!!)

[/end]

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh yeah? Well, I've never played Final Fantasy at all.

[/one-upmanship]

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ogre in the Playground

[/one-upmanship]
    I don't see you with a Red Mage or other Final Fantasy avatar though

Still, you should give it a go... Maybe... >_>

But you need to play Okami, even if I have to buy a Wii and the game for you. EVEN if you don't like video games.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Ettin in the Playground

I've never played it either. Not my type of game. I'm more of a "Spore," person, myself.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

*CT snickers* Hey! stop snickering! *Spanks CT* Stupid kid....

ERm...sorry..*licks phase*

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

20. - Top - End - #1070

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    I've never played it either. Not my type of game. I'm more of a "Spore," person, myself.
    I like most types of games, though I'm not big on FPS's. Final Fantasy X was one of (if not THE) best game I've ever played. The story actually drew me in, as did the gameplay. (Yes, I like JRPG's, no surprises there.)

But I do plan on getting Okami.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

My favorate Video game has always been FF6....great storyline.crazy villain....drew me in..So..the whole FF series really is pretty well made..except FF7...I hate that one..

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Ettin in the Playground

Masato, how did you do a Red XIII-only playthrough? I'm guessing you hacked the game to replace the other characters with Nanaki, right? (I actually remember seeing 1 screenshot in a leaflet advertising PS1 games years ago with Red's "field" sprite standing on it's own in front of the shops in Kalm. I don't know whether it was hacked or if Nanaki was going to be the group leader at 1 point.)

I liked FF7 a lot (I think either 10 or 9 is my faourite FF game on the whole, though). Creating a new language sounds hard (apart from a small amount of French, I can't understand any other languages other then English, unless psychic animal communication classes as a languages, but I'm not that great at that either).

An interesting fact about languages evolving is that American English is often a lot closer to late 1700s English then UK English (quote from "Made in America by Bill Bryson). In regards to Pokemon, I've not played the games that much, but Vulpixes and Ninetales are my favourite types.
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2008-06-23 at 12:51 AM.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I just hate FF7 soo much...I hated the story..the villain..the hero..the boobgirl...the non-boob-girl....Just..bleh.

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd say FF X-2 was the worst for storyline. It's fun to play, but the camp feel is just really irritating. Red XIII and Tifa are 2 of my favourite characters as well (I never thought Tifa's chest was that big to be honest, but I tend to be naive a lot of the time).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1075

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    I'd say FF X-2 was the worst for storyline. It's fun to play, but the camp feel is just really irritating. Red XIII and Tifa are 2 of my favourite characters as well (I never thought Tifa's chest was that big to be honest, but I tend to be naive a lot of the time).
    I liked FF X-2, but it's NOTHING compared to FFX. The only thing I really hated about that game was the fact that all the freakin' side-quests had to be done in order to get the ending. You needed to buy a guide and decimate the stupid game to get your money's worth!

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ettin in the Playground

I never managed to get the best ending (I was only able to get to level 60 in that Bevelle dungeon).
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1077

I never even got to the ending. (*mumble* Angra Mainyu.....)

But I watched it on YouTube. It was pretty sweet, and I liked it, but if you watch it when you played the game several months earlier, and you're just not as immersed in it, then it's not the same.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Ettin in the Playground

You're probably right. I thought the best ending de-valued the ending to FF X personally (it seemed less meaning full if "you know who"* comes back to life). Angra Mainyu was hard to beat (it was easier on the 2nd playthrough, because I could just keep spamming Anhialator (sic) using that item which makes spellcasting reallt cheap). The fact that the game seems to revolves around the Gull Wings Culture Jamming Spira annoyed me as well.

*I can't believe that they didn't just refer to him as Tidus. It's not as if it would have been that much of a problem for people who changed his name in FF X).
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2008-06-23 at 01:21 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

In FFX they never said his name...i have a theory...Tidus is not speakable except in Al Bed...Muhahahhaha...oh and the 'I'm annoying huh?' part when the Al Bed home was being invaded by the gaudo was..in my opinion the only reason the Al Bed have their own language...just to be able to say 'I'm annoying huh?' thousands of times while (on my third time through the game) i'm desperately trying to collect fire gems because you can't get them later on in the game..

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Colossus in the Playground

[/one-upmanship]
    Me neither. Or the Zelda ones. They have some of them for SNES, don't they? I should try to get them...