New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Spelljammer Announced

I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Noticed the Giff have had their empire taken from them. So not british.
    Except the Britons kinda had their empire taken from them as well. So totally British.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Foolwise View Post
    Except the Britons kinda had their empire taken from them as well. So totally British.
    Not really. There was no mention of their empire. Just a line about them being a race of vagabonds that don't know where they came from. Very not British. :P
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I'm surprised they put out Thri-Kreen here instead of Dark Sun. I think maybe they aren't going to do Dark Sun, but now they just need to figure out a Psionics base class and individual DMs can handle it.

On the topic of dark sun and new-spelljammer having some sort of link, the new Monster document pdf thing they put out did have a Nightmare Beast on there, being its highest CR creature. The nightmare beast if I recall is a traditionally Dark Sun creature if I recall?

My guess is that, they're probably going to start building up a bunch of hints towards Dark Sun (Like we had the spelljammer in frostmaiden), and then maybe a few years we see it? And since the spelljammer book is about travelling between different settings, I'd assume they definitely would bring it up and give a brief description of the world as one of the many settings you could travel to?

So yeah, my guess is it gets brought up there, even if just for a paragraph or few, and then a couple years time we get a new attempt at a psionics class (hopefully), some more UA, and then a dark sun campaign setting book / adventure / both. Hell, maybe theyll release another 3 book thing like they did here. 1 small book with general psionics rules with no focused setting, 1 dark sun world book, and then 1 adventure.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by NCat View Post
    On the topic of dark sun and new-spelljammer having some sort of link, the new Monster document pdf thing they put out did have a Nightmare Beast on there, being its highest CR creature. The nightmare beast if I recall is a traditionally Dark Sun creature if I recall?

My guess is that, they're probably going to start building up a bunch of hints towards Dark Sun (Like we had the spelljammer in frostmaiden), and then maybe a few years we see it? And since the spelljammer book is about travelling between different settings, I'd assume they definitely would bring it up and give a brief description of the world as one of the many settings you could travel to?

So yeah, my guess is it gets brought up there, even if just for a paragraph or few, and then a couple years time we get a new attempt at a psionics class (hopefully), some more UA, and then a dark sun campaign setting book / adventure / both. Hell, maybe theyll release another 3 book thing like they did here. 1 small book with general psionics rules with no focused setting, 1 dark sun world book, and then 1 adventure.
    I'm thinking the thrikreen are the substitute for the Vrusk. The only Star Frontiers player race not covered.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    I'm thinking the thrikreen are the substitute for the Vrusk. The only Star Frontiers player race not covered.
    thri-kreen played a fairly significant role in the Lost Ships book. as a result, the War Captain's Companion boxed set included a pair of thri-kreen ships (one large, one more of a shuttlecraft) and a special type of helm to power them usable only by thri-kreen.

that said, if they're to sub in for anything it is more probably the xixchil, which are an insectoid mantis race from the Complete Spacefarer's Handbook.

assuming, of course, that they're actively trying to bring over the old setting rather than making a new setting loosely based on it, which I've said on multiple occasions before is more what I expect to happen (there are in my experience a lot more people who like the broad idea of spelljammer than there are people who genuinely like all the fine details of it).

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by SharkForce View Post
    thri-kreen played a fairly significant role in the Lost Ships book. as a result, the War Captain's Companion boxed set included a pair of thri-kreen ships (one large, one more of a shuttlecraft) and a special type of helm to power them usable only by thri-kreen.

that said, if they're to sub in for anything it is more probably the xixchil, which are an insectoid mantis race from the Complete Spacefarer's Handbook.

assuming, of course, that they're actively trying to bring over the old setting rather than making a new setting loosely based on it, which I've said on multiple occasions before is more what I expect to happen (there are in my experience a lot more people who like the broad idea of spelljammer than there are people who genuinely like all the fine details of it).
    I was just thinking in terms of at least one of the devs obviously having fond memories of Star Frontiers and thinking "this is close enough, I don't have to specifically develop a vrusk race."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlockpwns View Post
    Bring on my space penguin overlords.
    This guy gets it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

9. - Top - End - #69

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Can I use this quote for my signature?
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    This guy gets it.
    Fact. Dohwar for the win.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

The DMG does not mandate 6-8 encounters per day.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Yup, sure

Creature CR
    Asteroid spider 15
    Clockwork horror 2
    Eldritch lich 15
    Fractine 9
    Gadabout 1/8
    Goon balloon 1/8
    Nightmare beast 16
    Puppeteer parasite 3
    Star lancer 2
    Yggdrasti 7
    Thanks a lot!

13. - Top - End - #73

Meh. I'll get some people to throw in a few million more, so we all get the big buff we deserve. It's spelljammer, and the entire multiverse, so there'll be a fair bit of it.

Almost the carry from 5e to 5.5e, in a way. You can't say you didn't see this coming, we actually cried out for it!

(and Darksun stuff. Because...)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Huh. I'm hard G for gith, githzerai, githyanki, and pirate gith.

Was "githyanki" ever pronounced in BG II?
    Dak'kon pronounces Githzerai at least once, I imagine he probable names Gith at least once when exploring the Unbroken Circle.

https://youtu.be/j8s7iveWvBs?t=568

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

I will say the new false appearance with advantage our initiative is easy to work with vs the old one which was basically a messy surprise mechanic. They have some good ideas moving forward.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Can I use this quote for my signature?
    By all means!

Quote Originally Posted by Azuresun View Post
    Nice! I'm running that game now with Esper Genesis, but it'll be nice to have another option for statblocks!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SharkForce View Post

It was actually Skull and Crossbows that had the thri-kreen 'holy war' thing. Lost Ships didn't mention thri-kreen at all.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Nice! I'm running that game now with Esper Genesis, but it'll be nice to have another option for statblocks!
    I could have named a lot of different pulpy sci-fi series, but Outlaw Star is the one that feels most like a fantasy story that happens to be set in space. I mean, the bad guys are a literal group of space pirate wizards. Kind of unfair it got overshadowed by Cowboy Bebop when it first came out.
    The DMG does not mandate 6-8 encounters per day.

19. - Top - End - #79

I could have named a lot of different pulpy sci-fi series, but Outlaw Star is the one that feels most like a fantasy story that happens to be set in space. I mean, the bad guys are a literal group of space pirate wizards. Kind of unfair it got overshadowed by Cowboy Bebop when it first came out.
    Oh, definitely agree!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

People keep mentioning Star Frontiers, which I haven't played, and I was wondering why the races sounded and looked so familiar. It's because they'd already reused them in d20 Future back in the 3.X days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

21. - Top - End - #81

If only I could afford the minis for this...
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Kind of unfair it got overshadowed by Cowboy Bebop when it first came out.
    Can't say I was remotely impressed with OS, it got overshadowed by a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Spamalot in the Playground

Outlaw Star can't hold a candle to Cowboy Bebop, but the latter is a masterpiece, few anime can. Taken on its own merits as a late 90's space fantasy romp it's still excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

24. - Top - End - #84
    Barbarian in the Playground

I prefer OS to CB.

Unless we're talking about the intro music, in which case CB beats basically everything.

25. - Top - End - #85

NecromancerGuy

While I love that show I think I might try this first.
    https://youtu.be/g6H3vs_Qb6s
    Last edited by Garfunion; 2022-04-22 at 11:27 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Rereading the product page, I get the feeling that the changes to the cosmology might be even bigger than I initially thought.

The page uses the terms "Wildspace", "Astral Sea" and "Astral Plane" in a way that would suggest that Wildspace and the Astral Sea are both found in the Astral Plane.

It used to be that the Material Plane was divided between worlds, wildspace and the phlogiston, while the Astral Sea was how 4e renamed the Astral Plane.

I just tweeted Chris Perkins about it, here, but I am not optimistic on getting a reply. I am a nobody on Twitter, and my recent activity has been about how mean spirited it was to tease Spelljammer on April Fools' Day.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Rereading the product page, I get the feeling that the changes to the cosmology might be even bigger than I initially thought.

The page uses the terms "Wildspace", "Astral Sea" and "Astral Plane" in a way that would suggest that Wildspace and the Astral Sea are both found in the Astral Plane.

It used to be that the Material Plane was divided between worlds, wildspace and the phlogiston, while the Astral Sea was how 4e renamed the Astral Plane.
    Boo’s Astral Menagerie, a 64-page hardcover book for Dungeon Masters that presents game statistics and descriptions for over 60 creatures found in Wildspace and the Astral Sea, including astral elves, cosmic horrors, lunar and solar dragons, murder comets, and space clowns
    Spelljammer: Adventures in Space presents the Astral Plane as a Dungeons & Dragons campaign setting unlike any other. Home of the stars and gateway to the heavens, the Astral Plane teems with excitement and possibility. With the help of magic, spelljammers can cross the oceans of Wildspace, ply the silvery void known as the Astral Sea, and hop between worlds of the D&D multiverse.
    It seems you are correct.

Well at least the Astral Sea and Wildspace are definitely different things.

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    People keep mentioning Star Frontiers, which I haven't played, and I was wondering why the races sounded and looked so familiar. It's because they'd already reused them in d20 Future back in the 3.X days.
    Yes, they did. :)

But it's nice to see them now ported over into 5e.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    It seems you are correct.

Well at least the Astral Sea and Wildspace are definitely different things.
    It is still mind-boggling.

For example, Toril orbits a sun, and is itself orbited by a moon with a trail of asteroids, the Tears of Selūne. 5e acknowledges all this in Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage, even letting you visit one of the tears: Stardock.

Normally, going up there would be travelling in wildspace. But now what? Is it just space, distinct from the astral wildspace. Or do you effectively plane shift by flying up?

The product page even promises a "Double-sided poster map of the Rock of Bral, an asteroid-city that can serve as both an adventure location and a campaign hub in the Astral Plane". But isn't Bral supposed to be another of Selūne's tears?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    It is still mind-boggling.

For example, Toril orbits a sun, and is itself orbited by a moon with a trail of asteroids, the Tears of Selūne. 5e acknowledges all this in Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage, even letting you visit one of the tears: Stardock.

Normally, going up there would be travelling in wildspace. But now what? Is it just space, distinct from the astral wildspace. Or do you effectively plane shift by flying up?
    I would say that it's possible Toril, the moon and the Tears are within Toril's Crystal Sphere, and it's different from the Wildspace/Phlogiston/etc.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2022-04-22 at 01:32 PM.