New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Helnith Part 2: Of Shadowed Paths and Spectral Evidence

Mark and Mina:

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomes2169 View Post
    <Nurse Joy said you're safe to come back to me in the morning. Which is super impressive, if you were a human you'd still be out for a few more weeks with injuries like the ones you had. So be patient!>
    Mark gets a definite sense of sulking from Tattersail. <Don’t forget you promised me pampering when I get out!>

Out loud he tells Mina, "Tattersail is awake and snooping on my thoughts and teasing me about things again... Oh. Yeah. 'Sail, Mina is connected with her Xatu now." He said it out loud so that Mina was in the loop. His head popped up suddenly, blush barely faded, but a spark of excitement in his eyes. " Ooooo, actually, that's something else we can experiment with. Maybe see what weird stuff we can do if our psychic types do a meeting of the minds? Maybe we could telepathically communicate with each other!"
    Mina, who had been largely unaware of Mark’s plans in that direction prior to this and who valued her privacy enough to have gone on a tirade against one of her own Pokémon for violating it, merely looked very, very taken aback, and it was Tattersail who replied:

<Us being able to talk to you humans like civilized creatures doesn’t make either of you telepaths. The best we could do is for you to tell me what you want to pass on and for me to tell her. And right now, I would have to pass it on through the bird.> You get a mental image of Mina’s Xatu accompanying the last. ((She’d need a Special Attack of at least 200 to be able to talk to Mina directly.))

"Or... maybe they'll just be able to coordinate their attacks or teleport better or something. I don't know. But we should figure it out!" They needed to experiment... For SCIENCE!
    <We could combine our powers somewhat,> Tattersail agrees, and Mark can tell that by ‘we’ Tattersail means her and the aforementioned bird.

... He could probably look up what happened when two psychically attuned trainers had their pokemon seance. Actually, he should just... "Actually, let me see if anyone else did it on the internet and make sure its safe..." And he pulled out his pokedex to do just that.
    Mark’s initial internet search results are mostly fanfiction from some of the more popular book and TV series that include psychic powers, with a smattering of advertisements for the Saffron City Gym and similar establishments offering training to human psychics. Results that are even slightly relevant are buried and don’t seem to mention direct trainer-to-trainer communication.

----------------

Less:

Miles accepts the stakes and goes off to prepare his Pokémon - which mostly consists of him removing the cup-and-book ‘hats’ and recalling them to make space for the battle. As you send out Connie, he sends out his Swablu.

(Sunny Day in effect.)

Connie: 129/129

Swablu: 119/119
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2024-05-16 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Forgot Sunny Day
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Helnith Part 2: Of Shadowed Paths and Spectral Evidence

"Let's stretch those wings!" Less called out as he sent Connie forward. That Pokemon could probably sing . . . but there wasn't much Less could do about that, other than try to find out if Connie was faster. "Connie, nasty plot!" Less called out.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Mark gets a definite sense of sulking from Tattersail. <Don’t forget you promised me pampering when I get out!>
    <And you will be! We don't have any poffin right now, but I have some nice shampoos and I think there was a massage parlor in the mall?> If not, he could buy her snacks there anyway when he went there tomorrow. <And we'll be going to a beach in the morning, if you wanted to kick back and relax, or go swimming, or show off by making some sand sculptures with your awesome telepathic powers. You know. Show us puny humans how it's done.> Yes, he was playing to her ego, but Tattersail was rather smug about her awesome mind powers, so he felt it was a safe gamble.

Mina, who had been largely unaware of Mark’s plans in that direction prior to this and who valued her privacy enough to have gone on a tirade against one of her own Pokémon for violating it, merely looked very, very taken aback...

Mark’s initial internet search results are mostly fanfiction from some of the more popular book and TV series that include psychic powers, with a smattering of advertisements for the Saffron City Gym and similar establishments offering training to human psychics. Results that are even slightly relevant are buried and don’t seem to mention direct trainer-to-trainer communication.
    Mark had been looking at his pokedex, so he didn't catch the look on Mina's face as he scrolled and listened to his gardevoir. The excitement on his face dies after a minute and he sighed, setting his pokedex down and looking up at the ceiling. "Well, looks like I got excited over nothing. I'll never become Magic Markers, the anime protagonist I was born to be." A shame, really. He had the tragic backstory and everything to go with it, but he had no psychic powers, no hidden aura abilities, no skill at martial arts... heck, he wasn't even in school anymore, so even a moe protagonist role was beyond him! "Just regular, boring Markers forever. Sigh. But 'Sail and Xatu could work together to do more stuff than either could alone, though they didn't really need a psychic connection with either of us to do that... and we can still communicate with each other through them, so that will be useful."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Pinklady:

Blast Bolt seems alert but Whirlywhirly yawns. Based on your previous trip, it’s going to be another hour of travel if you decide to push on to the Shrine, give or take. On the other hand it’s currently 7:30 PM; nearly night.
    Acknowledging Whirlywhirly's yawn, Pinklady thinks on the choices for a minute, then says, "Yeah, I guess we can stop for the night! We should take shifts watching out." Pinklady walks over to position herself to rest against the cart. "Blast Bolt, if you don't mind first shift, just wake me up when you start to get tired!"

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Less:

Connie does in fact appear to be faster than the Coordinator’s Flying type.

Connie uses Nasty Plot!
    Connie’s Special Attack rises sharply!

Connie also appears to be about to eat a super effective attack.

Swablu uses Dazzling Gleam!
    It’s super effective!
    Connie is hit for 82 damage!
    Connie uses her held Sitrus Berry to restore 38 HP!

The attack lands solidly, undercut by a regular ticking sound in. After a moment you realize it’s coming from the Swablu.

(Sunny Day in effect.)

Connie: 85/129 (Special Attack up 2 levels)

Swablu: 119/119

----------------

Mark and Mina:

<And you will be! We don't have any poffin right now, but I have some nice shampoos and I think there was a massage parlor in the mall?> If not, he could buy her snacks there anyway when he went there tomorrow. <And we'll be going to a beach in the morning, if you wanted to kick back and relax, or go swimming, or show off by making some sand sculptures with your awesome telepathic powers. You know. Show us puny humans how it's done.>
    <Moving things is telekinesis. Telepathy is mind reading and mental speech, like we’re doing right now,> Tattersail corrects, but she seems mollified.

The excitement on his face dies after a minute and he sighed, setting his pokedex down and looking up at the ceiling. "Well, looks like I got excited over nothing. I'll never become Magic Markers, the anime protagonist I was born to be." A shame, really. He had the tragic backstory and everything to go with it, but he had no psychic powers, no hidden aura abilities, no skill at martial arts... heck, he wasn't even in school anymore, so even a moe protagonist role was beyond him! "Just regular, boring Markers forever. Sigh."
    Don’t sell yourself short, you’re still in a war zone trying to save the world,” Mina reminds.

"But 'Sail and Xatu could work together to do more stuff than either could alone, though they didn't really need a psychic connection with either of us to do that... and we can still communicate with each other through them, so that will be useful."
    Mina just nods in understanding, not really having anything to add to that. “But in the mean time, what are we doing for food?” She was already pulling out dishes for the Pokéchow.

----------------

Pinklady:

You awake groggily only to realize it’s only about 11 PM and quite dark. You can hear noises nearby, and Blast Bolt is growling.

At least one of the trainers standing watch inside must still be up, or else someone replaced them, because a flashlight beam shines out the window and drifts until it falls on a spiky purple ‘B.’ The Grunt wearing the letter swears and starts fumbling at his belt for his Pokéballs, and a moment later the night is full of the lights of Pokéballs disgorging their occupants.

Graveler A: 89/89
    Graveler B: 123/123
    Machoke A: 103/103
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

A fairy type move! What terrible luck. Still, Connie wasn't out of this yet. If she could land a snarl, that could cut the damage enough to let her take another hit and take out this Swablu, even with that metronome ticking up the damage. Less silently thanked Mina for the Sitrus berry, without that this match up would have been near impossible. "Connie, let's give that Swablu a taste of it's own medicine back. Snarl!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Lets hope my napkin math was right that this next attack can't KO Connie if she lands a snarl first . . .

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Don’t sell yourself short, you’re still in a war zone trying to save the world,” Mina reminds.
    "Pssssssh, that's everyone's pokemon adventure." At least, if you went by the games. "And I could be doing it in a mecha. Magic Markers' Mecha Madness... Fan favorite story arc..." He sighed wistfully at his own daydreaming silliness, standing up so he could help shuffle through the center's shelves.

Mina just nods in understanding, not really having anything to add to that. “But in the mean time, what are we doing for food?” She was already pulling out dishes for the Pokéchow.
    "Well, you've got the rest of that takeout, then we've got..." He pulled out a box of assorted crackers, a bag of cereal, a loaf of bread and a peanut butter jar. Most of that gets put back. "... General pokemon center food in here. Check if there's cheese and fruit in the fridge, sliced apples and a cracker platter would probably be good? Unless you wanted some PB&J's."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Pinklady:

You awake groggily only to realize it’s only about 11 PM and quite dark. You can hear noises nearby, and Blast Bolt is growling.

At least one of the trainers standing watch inside must still be up, or else someone replaced them, because a flashlight beam shines out the window and drifts until it falls on a spiky purple ‘B.’ The Grunt wearing the letter swears and starts fumbling at his belt for his Pokéballs, and a moment later the night is full of the lights of Pokéballs disgorging their occupants.

Graveler A: 89/89
    Graveler B: 123/123
    "Hnff... good work, Blast Bolt!" Pinklady says, still waking up. She withdraws Blast Bolt, all too aware of how devastating the Graveler could be for him, and sends out Leapsy and Croaky.
    "Leapsy, Sleep Powder that -" she indicates Graveler B, Graveler. Croaky..." Pinklady pauses a moment as she fights back a yawn, "...Bubblebeam the other one."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Less:

Connie uses Snarl!
    Swablu is hit for 81 damage!
    Swablu’s Special Attack falls!

Swablu uses Dazzling Gleam!
    It’s super effective!
    Connie is hit for 57 damage!

(Sunny Day in effect.)

Connie: 28/129 (Special Attack up 2 levels)

Swablu: 38/119 (Special Attack down 1 level)

----------------

Mark and Mina:

"Pssssssh, that's everyone's pokemon adventure." At least, if you went by the games. "And I could be doing it in a mecha. Magic Markers' Mecha Madness... Fan favorite story arc..." He sighed wistfully at his own daydreaming silliness, standing up so he could help shuffle through the center's shelves.
    Mina paused in her search of the shelves to pat his shoulder in a conciliatory sort of way. “There’s still time.

"Well, you've got the rest of that takeout, then we've got..." He pulled out a box of assorted crackers, a bag of cereal, a loaf of bread and a peanut butter jar. Most of that gets put back. "... General pokemon center food in here. Check if there's cheese and fruit in the fridge, sliced apples and a cracker platter would probably be good? Unless you wanted some PB&J's."
    …I’ll check the fridge for fruit.” As far as Mina was concerned, peanut butter was palatable in exactly one item, and it wasn’t sandwiches. She went over to the fridge to look inside. “They have cheese” which Mina extracted “I don’t see any apples. How do you feel about pineapple? Or mangos?” Lots of tropical fruit. Not so much temperate fruit. Given their location, Mina couldn’t say she was surprised.

----------------

Pinklady:

You get your Pokémon ready for battle, in the process drawing attention to yourself and the cart. Now that the fighting has broken out you can see that there is at least one other group of Grunts, but the trainers keeping watch have already moved to hold those off, leaving the current set to you.

Leapsy uses Sleep Powder!
    Graveler B sleeps!

Croaky uses Bubblebeam!
    It’s super effective!
    Graveler A is hit for 98 damage!
    Graveler A held on with 1 HP due to Sturdy!
    Graveler A’s Speed falls!
    Graveler A uses its held Chahal Berry to restore 20 HP!

Machoke A uses Leer!
    Defense of all allied Pokémon falls!

Graveler B wakes up! ((😕))
    Graveler B uses Defense Curl!

Graveler A uses Rollout!
    It’s super effective!
    Leapsy is hit for 70 damage!

Leapsy: 5/75 (Defense down 1 level)
    Croaky: 77/77 (Defense down 1 level)

Graveler A: 21/89 (Speed down 1 level)
    Graveler B: 123/123 (Defense up 1 level, Defense Curl)
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2024-05-18 at 09:00 PM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

There! "Good hit Connie! Finish it off with a Swift!"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Mina paused in her search of the shelves to pat his shoulder in a conciliatory sort of way. “There’s still time.
    He sniffed slightly, pouted, and then said, "Yeah. Yeah, there's time. Bandra's developing all kinds of stupid stuff... surely they have a doom mecha for us to steal." They didn't, but a boy could dream.

They have cheese” which Mina extracted “I don’t see any apples. How do you feel about pineapple? Or mangos?” Lots of tropical fruit. Not so much temperate fruit. Given their location, Mina couldn’t say she was surprised.
    Mark sighed as he put away the peanut butter, one day he'd eat it again, but hey, they still had fruit! "Hmmmm... I like pineapple, but the mango will probably go better with the takeout." Orange chicken, even the spicy stuff Mark had gotten, had plenty of sour flavors, so the tang of the mango would complement that while the sweet-sour of pineapple would just blend in a bit. He got out a platter to set up the crackers on, and also a cutting board for the mango to get sliced upon. "I already ate a bit, so toss me things to cut up and you get started. I'll join you in a sec."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Pinklady:

You get your Pokémon ready for battle, in the process drawing attention to yourself and the cart. Now that the fighting has broken out you can see that there is at least one other group of Grunts, but the trainers keeping watch have already moved to hold those off, leaving the current set to you.

Graveler B sleeps!

Croaky uses Bubblebeam!
    It’s super effective!
    Graveler A is hit for 98 damage!
    Graveler A held on with 1 HP due to Sturdy!
    Graveler A’s Speed falls!
    Graveler A uses its held Chahal Berry to restore 20 HP!

Machoke A uses Leer!
    Defense of all allied Pokémon falls!

Graveler B wakes up! ((😕))
    Graveler B uses Defense Curl!

Graveler A uses Rollout!
    It’s super effective!
    Leapsy is hit for 70 damage!

Leapsy: 5/75 (Defense down 1 level)
    Croaky: 77/77 (Defense down 1 level)

Graveler A: 21/89 (Speed down 1 level)
    "Good work, keep it up! Same thing, same targets, both of you!" If both Graveler could be disabled, it would be safe - or at least safer - to bring out some of her stronger team members, she considered.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Less:

Connie uses Swift!
    Swablu is hit for 65 damage!
    Swablu faints!

Miles recalls the Flying type and sends out his Dewgong.

(Sunny Day in effect.)

Connie: 28/129 (Special Attack up 2 levels)

Swablu: 0/119
    Dewgong: 134/134

----------------

Mark and Mina:

Mina considered the fruits and finally shrugged before grabbing both. “Let’s do both, and the Pokémon can have whatever we don’t finish,” she suggested.

Once she’d gotten Mark set with fruit she started measuring out Pokéchow for both their teams, making sure Riolu got his fancy Fighting-type baby food. ((-1 Premium Fighting-type Baby Pokéchow, 5 remaining)) Then she took Mark’s advice and sat down to eat.

----------------

Pinklady:

Attack missed!

Croaky uses Bubblebeam!
    It’s super effective!
    Graveler A is hit for 99 damage!
    Graveler A faints!

Machoke uses Low Kick!
    Croaky is hit for 40 damage!

Graveler B uses Rollout!
    It’s super effective!
    Leapsy is hit for 174 damage!
    Leapsy faints!

The KO’d Graveler is recalled and replaced with a Wispaferyn.

Leapsy: 0/75
    Croaky: 37/77 (Defense down 1 level)

Graveler A: 0/89
    Wispaferyn A: 96/96
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

"Good job, Connie," Less said, "That's enough for now." No sense running right into an ice shard. Less signaled that he was intending to take his league sanctioned switch, and sent out Princess before calling for a Natural Gift.

((OOC: if the league sanctioned switch isn't an option, Less will instead switch into Buck, and then call for a Fire Fang.))
    Last edited by Lord Ruby34; 2024-05-22 at 12:45 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Mina considered the fruits and finally shrugged before grabbing both. “Let’s do both, and the Pokémon can have whatever we don’t finish,” she suggested.
    "Alright, that sounds fair-" Wait. That was a whole pineapple. Mark squinted at it, and pulled out his pokedex to look up how to cut that up. The core was inedible... right? He washed and cut up the mango nice and quick and put it out on the table, then looked up pineapple preparation so he could slice up that as well. He was definitely going to need to clean up his prosthetic tonight, because there simply isn't any way to cut a pineapple without getting sprayed at least a little bit with the juice.

Still, preparation wasn't too hard over-all, so he'd put a bowl out in short order, toss out the skin, top, bottom and core, and then wash his hands to keep his prosthetic from getting terminally sticky with dried out pineapple juice. Once all of that was done, he finally sliced up some cheese and brought over the cracker platter. He began cycling in his pokemon for feeding, though he'd need to make sure Fisher was fully deshadowed before really getting that big guy out there, and munched at a long cracker with both cheese and a mango slice on it. "Sooooo Mina, when you're not fighting a war and saving the world, what do you like to do for fun?"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Pinklady:

Attack missed!

Croaky uses Bubblebeam!
    It’s super effective!
    Graveler A is hit for 99 damage!
    Graveler A faints!

Machoke uses Low Kick!
    Croaky is hit for 40 damage!

Graveler B uses Rollout!
    It’s super effective!
    Leapsy is hit for 174 damage!
    Leapsy faints!

The KO’d Graveler is recalled and replaced with a Wispaferyn.

Croaky: 37/77 (Defense down 1 level)

"Sorry, Leapsy!" Pinklady recalls Leapsy and sends out Blast Bolt. "Alright, Blast Bolt and Croaky, both of you hit the Graveler - Superpower and Bubblebeam!" That Wispaferyn is bad news, but that Graveler is even more immediately dangerous...

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Less:

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Yes, you can switch.

Unfortunately Princess’ speed works against her and the Dewgong (Miles called it ‘Nautilus’) gets off the first strike.

Dewgong uses Signal Beam!
    It’s super effective!
    Princess is hit for 90 damage!

Princess is blown backwards, feet leaving furrows in the ground, and staggers once the attack is over. But she’s still standing afterwards, albeit barely, and her battle lust works in her favor as she manages to get off an attack of her own.

Princess uses Natural Gift!
    It’s super effective!
    Dewgong is hit for 46 damage!

(Sunny Day in effect.)

Connie: 28/129 (recalled)
    Princess: 2/92

Dewgong: 88/134

----------------

Mark and Mina:

Video games, lots of reading -” Actually she’d been doing lots of reading during the war, albeit of a more serious nature, so that hadn’t really changed “- the occasional movie. How about you?

----------------

Pinklady:

Wispaferyn A uses Silver Wind!
    Croaky is hit for 43 damage!
    Croaky faints!

Blast Bolt uses Superpower!
    It’s super effective!
    Graveler B is hit for 81 damage!
    Blast Bolt’s Attack falls!
    Blast Bolt’s Defense falls!

Machoke uses Leer!

Graveler B uses Rollout!
    Attack missed due to target KO!

Croaky: 0/77
    Blast Bolt: 102/102 (Attack down 1 level, Defense down 2 levels)

Graveler B: 42/123 (Defense up 1 level, Defense Curl)
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Those poffin boosts were serious, and Miles had managed a lot of move tutoring. This Dewgong almost certainly had a super effective move for every member of Less's team. . . . He could use a potion here, but they hadn't really talked about item usage, and once Less opened that door Miles might have more in his bag of tricks than Less did. Maybe he could trick the man instead, and that started by figuring out what he was thinking. Dewgong learned encore as a Seel, didn't it? Maybe Less could bait Miles into trying to encore Princess and set up? "Princess, protect!"

Show

Got it! Also, this Dewgong is tough! I think that's about as hard as anyone on Less's team can hit it at the moment. Oof.

Also, some conditionals, if you'll have them.

If Miles uses a water type move, then Less will use Princess's next turn to use a super potion on Connie anyway.
    If Miles uses Ice Shard or Signal Beam, Less will switch to Buck. If Buck gets hit with a non-critcal hit with either of those two moves upon switching in or Nautilus uses Encore on the turn Buck comes in, then Less will order a Fire Fang. If anything else happens, then I'll take the next turn as normal.
    If Miles uses any other moves, then I'll take the next go as normal.
    Last edited by Lord Ruby34; 2024-05-22 at 10:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Video games, lots of reading -” Actually she’d been doing lots of reading during the war, albeit of a more serious nature, so that hadn’t really changed “- the occasional movie. How about you?
    "Drawing, of course," Which he'd told her about last time the question had come up, but this time it was being answered much less awkwardly, "but also some gaming, mostly on handhelds," look, pokemon games are still fun, and Mark had been traveling too much to really justify a desktop or console dedicated to gaming, "reading some fantasy or sci-fi books, movies, karaoke if Jason or Blake could find a place... sometimes a prank."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Less:

Show
    Yes, Tough and Beautiful. 😉

Princess uses Protect!

Princess is protecting herself!

You recall Princess!
    You send out Buck!

Nautilus seems a little intimidated, but it makes no difference to the attack streaking at Buck.

It’s not very effective…
    Buck is hit for 14 damage!

Buck recovers 6 HP from held Leftovers!

Miles recalls Nautilus as you call for Fire Fang, replacing it with his Angerazm. An odd choice, until you remember that time Emilia got excited about the species because—

Buck uses Fire Fang!
    Angerazm’s Photobarrier prevents damage during sunlight!

—it has an Ability that protects it from fire.

Spoiler: Photobarrier
    Show

During a Sunny Day, this Pokémon cannot be Burned or Frozen and is unaffected by Fire and Ice attacks.

(Sunny Day in effect.)

Princess: 2/92 (recalled)
    Buck: 104/106

Dewgong: 88/134 (recalled)
    Angerazm: 138/138 (Intimidated)

----------------

Mark and Mina:

Mina had so many questions - which books, what kind of movies, what kind of games, any memorable pranks - but stuck with one since this was a conversation over a meal and not an interrogation. “So that wasn’t your first karaoke experience then? Where did you sing before?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

I'm going to have to get hands on some high quality poffins. Those boosts really matter!

Also, does the Angerazm have any moves that Less should know about that would be particularly dangerous to Buck?

That had gone . . . acceptably. Notably Miles hadn't kept Nautilous in to fight Buck. That was unexpected. But these Pokemon weren't that fast, so maybe . . . "Buck, go ahead and bite!" Less also kept his ears sharp for Miles's commands.

Spoiler: Conditional
    Show

If Buck out-speeds the Angerazm and causes it to flinch continue using bite until the statement is no longer true.
    Last edited by Lord Ruby34; 2024-05-24 at 03:41 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Mina had so many questions - which books, what kind of movies, what kind of games, any memorable pranks - but stuck with one since this was a conversation over a meal and not an interrogation. “So that wasn’t your first karaoke experience then? Where did you sing before?
    Dang, he'd been certain she would ask about the pranks. Oh well, he could save that for later. "Yeah, I wrote that song we sang in Jason's notebook, my art book now, after the second time the guys dragged me out to do so. As punishment for my prank, he forced me to join him every time after. I've discovered that there are karaoke bars in pretty much every region, or at least in Johto, Kanto and Hoenn, and I think we were going to find one here before..." Mark shifted in his chair and decided to just repress that. "Most cities seem to have one, too! And if it existed, Jason's lucario dragged us to it. That pokemon loved growling and barking along to those emo or gothy metal songs. He told us they spoke to his tortured soul." To emphasize those last words, Mark closed his eyes and clenched a fist in front of him.

"So, what kind of movies do you like?"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Less:

Buck uses Bite!
    Critical hit!
    Angerazm is hit for 42 damage!

Buck connects solidly but the Grass type doesn’t flinch, instead its leafy body begins to swell.

Angerazm uses Growth!
    Angerazm’s Attack rises sharply!
    Angerazm’s Special Attack rises sharply!

Buck recovers 2 HP from held Leftovers!

(Sunny Day in effect.)

Buck: 106/106

Dewgong: 88/134 (recalled)
    Angerazm: 96/138 (Intimidated, Attack up 2 levels, Special Attack up 2 levels)

----------------

Mark and Mina:

Dang, he'd been certain she would ask about the pranks. Oh well, he could save that for later. "Yeah, I wrote that song we sang in Jason's notebook, my art book now, after the second time the guys dragged me out to do so. As punishment for my prank, he forced me to join him every time after.
    That must have been some prank! What did you do?

"I've discovered that there are karaoke bars in pretty much every region, or at least in Johto, Kanto and Hoenn, and I think we were going to find one here before..." Mark shifted in his chair and decided to just repress that. "Most cities seem to have one, too!"
    I guess I need to get out more, that time in Ceris is the first time I’ve been to one of those,” Mina remarked.

"And if it existed, Jason's lucario dragged us to it. That pokemon loved growling and barking along to those emo or gothy metal songs. He told us they spoke to his tortured soul."
    Mina just looked faintly amused, but addressed Riolu who was currently digging into his fancy Pokéchow. “I don’t suppose you’re going to want to go singing karaoke too? I’m sure we could talk your trainer into going once we find her.

The little Fighting type just sniffed, and Mark got the distinct impression the baby considered karaoke singing to be beneath his dignity. Mina’s impression was considerably less distinct, but she got the message anyway.

Spoiler: Mina
    Show
    Xatu added privately to Mina, <He’s still a hatchling trying too hard to be grown up. He’ll grow out of it.>

"So, what kind of movies do you like?"
    Oh,” Mina thought back. “I like variety. I think it’s mostly been action movies lately, some mystery, some comedy. I keep trying to find a horror movie I like but they never seem to click” and now that she’d lived in an actual war zone she doubted they every would “and I’ve never been into romances at all. And I usually avoid anything that looks like it’s just going to be a gorefest full of swearing or whatever; I can put up with it if it’s in a movie that’s good, but I don’t really consider it a selling point.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2024-05-25 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Leftovers
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

"Good hit Buck!" Less cheered. Despite his enthusiasm that plant creature was looking dangerous . . . but that was probably Buck's best hit . . . but maybe a small boost probably wasn't enough for Miles to feel entirely comfortable with his grass-type's ability to actually make significant headway against Buck. Would he go for another Growth? Either way, he had to deal with those boosts before they became overpowering. "Buck, roar!" Less ordered.

Spoiler: OOC/Conditional
    Show

I think Buck should be back to full from the leftovers, right?

Conditional: If Buck doesn't take a hit for more than 40 damage, Bite.
    Last edited by Lord Ruby34; 2024-05-25 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Color

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Less:

Show
    Thanks, fixed!

Buck temporarily gives up his advantage in speed to take a deep breath and brace himself for his Roar, giving the Grass type the first hit.

Angerazm uses Energy Ball!
    It’s not very effective…
    Buck is hit for 61 damage!

Buck uses Roar!

The Angerazm bounces back to its Pokéball, and Nautilus is sent back out.

(Sunny Day in effect.)

Buck: 51/106

Dewgong: 88/134 (Intimidated)
    Angerazm: 96/138 (recalled)
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

That must have been some prank! What did you do?
    "Oh, Jason just hated that song, said it was way too cheesy and romantic, so he thought making me sing it was a punishment for permanently inflicting it upon his journal. Joke's on him, I love that song." Cheesy love songs are great. Especially when they're aware of what they are. "And now it's tradition that I sing it first at Karaoke."

I guess I need to get out more, that time in Ceris is the first time I’ve been to one of those,” Mina remarked.
    "Well, they're called Karaoke bars because they're bars, just with rooms in back that have microphones and prompters and stuff that you can rent out and sing with friends for a while. So if you don't go out to drink often..." He shrugged. "I mostly had soda and sang when we went, and it's a friends thing. I definitely wouldn't have gone by myself." He'd also been well under the legal drinking age the first few times and was only allowed in as long as he stayed to the karaoke rooms. (... Though Zelgius and Alan had snuck him a few sips of alcohol from time to time. Soldiers are terrible role models/ psuedo-adopted family...)

The little Fighting type just sniffed, and Mark got the distinct impression the baby considered karaoke singing to be beneath his dignity. Mina’s impression was considerably less distinct, but she got the message anyway.
    Mark chuckled a bit before reassuring the riolu, "Don't worry, little guy. Eli was the biggest dork I knew, and I'm including myself in that list. He wore headphones to listen to that edgy music most of the time, and sometimes a pair of shades too, because he was 'too cool' for the rest of us. No one is expecting you to follow in his footsteps just because you share a species." The little aura pokemon could probably sense a bit of Mark's amusement, and hints of the loss that reminiscing brought him. That dork of a lucario had been almost as much of a friend to him as his trainer, so he missed the fighting/steel type... and worried about what had happened to him.

Oh. I like variety. I think it’s mostly been action movies lately, some mystery, some comedy. I keep trying to find a horror movie I like but they never seem to click, and I’ve never been into romances at all. And I usually avoid anything that looks like it’s just going to be a gorefest full of swearing or whatever; I can put up with it if it’s in a movie that’s good, but I don’t really consider it a selling point.
    "Hmph! You've clearly never seen a good rom-com." Sleepless in Saffron* was a classic, though he was maybe a bit of a softy for true, well-done romances. Who didn't like Cinema Heaven**? "But fair on the horror and splat flicks. Not really a fan of pointless ultraviolence myself. But would something like Anything, Anywhere, Every When*** be a movie you enjoy...?"

Spoiler
    Show
    *Sleepless in Seattle

**Cinema Paradiso

***Yes, I'm saying that Everything, Everywhere, All At Once has a different name in this part of the multiverse. And yes, I'm enjoying spoofing movie names. Thanks for asking.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Less winced. Mile's Pokemon were just too much stronger than his own. Those poffin boosts were making a huge difference, and Buck wasn't able to take advantage of the Sun to hurt that Grass type. In fact, the weather was even working against him for the most part. He needed to get Connie to make a few attacks . . . alright, that would have to be the plan. "Buck, bite! Less commanded. He needed to generate an advantage to press, but he couldn't risk having Miles just switch back into his grass type and nullifying Buck's hit.

Spoiler: Conditionals
    Show

If Miles switches, then switch to Connie, and call for U-turn into Princess.
    If Miles doesn't switch, and Buck out speeds and flinches the Dewgong, then Bite again, unless Miles called for Brine. In that case, protect.
    Last edited by Lord Ruby34; 2024-05-25 at 11:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Mark and Mina:

"Oh, Jason just hated that song, said it was way too cheesy and romantic, so he thought making me sing it was a punishment for permanently inflicting it upon his journal. Joke's on him, I love that song." Cheesy love songs are great. Especially when they're aware of what they are. "And now it's tradition that I sing it first at Karaoke."
    Mina, who’d been expecting something a little more involved for the prank, made a conversational noise while privately deciding that Jason had overreacted.

"Well, they're called Karaoke bars because they're bars, just with rooms in back that have microphones and prompters and stuff that you can rent out and sing with friends for a while. So if you don't go out to drink often..."
    I really don’t,” Mina agreed to the last. Quincey was the social butterfly, and with her hometown being on the small side that meant nearly everyone who wanted to hang out did it with him - it wasn’t cool to hang out with your friend’s younger sister, apparently. Add to that she didn’t really like the taste of alcohol and turned out to have a low tolerance for it, and she’d had no reason to hang out in bars much.

Apparently, she’d been missing out.

"Don't worry, little guy. Eli was the biggest dork I knew, and I'm including myself in that list. He wore headphones to listen to that edgy music most of the time, and sometimes a pair of shades too, because he was 'too cool' for the rest of us. No one is expecting you to follow in his footsteps just because you share a species." The little aura pokemon could probably sense a bit of Mark's amusement, and hints of the loss that reminiscing brought him. That dork of a lucario had been almost as much of a friend to him as his trainer, so he missed the fighting/steel type... and worried about what had happened to him.
    The little Fighting type seemed reassured by this. Mark got the uneasy sense that he suspected such frivolous display would reflect badly on his lineage.

Xatu paused his own meal to reach over and preen the baby in a reassuring manner.

"Hmph! You've clearly never seen a good rom-com." Sleepless in Saffron* was a classic, though he was maybe a bit of a softy for true, well-done romances. Who didn't like Cinema Heaven**? "But fair on the horror and splat flicks. Not really a fan of pointless ultraviolence myself. But would something like Anything, Anywhere, Every When*** be a movie you enjoy...?"
    I guess not,” Mina agreed. “Anything, Anywhere, Every When was okay, I just liked Sky Flight* better. Multiverse and time travel stuff have never been my cup of tea either…unless it’s just being used as an excuse for dinosaurs,” she amended.

Show
    *Top Gun, except instead of enemy pilots the protagonists are trying to fly past a heavily fictionalized version of Rayquaza to rescue some scientists at the Sky Pillar.

----------------

Less:

Buck uses Bite!
    Dewgong is hit for 21 damage!
    Dewgong flinches! ((Lucky you. 😈))

Buck uses Bite!
    Dewgong is hit for 20 damage!

Dewgong uses Water Pulse!
    It’s super effective!
    Buck is hit for 42 damage!

(Sunny Day in effect.)

Buck: 21/106

Dewgong: 47/134 (Intimidated)
    Angerazm: 96/138 (recalled)
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Mina, who’d been expecting something a little more involved for the prank, made a conversational noise while privately deciding that Jason had overreacted.
    While not the most conversationally gifted of people, something still nagged at Mark about her response and he added, "Um... I'm also pretty sure that Uncle Max told him and the twins to look out for me, and taking me to sing with them was how they... you know. So 'punishing' me for my prank was just an excuse." And he was sure of that because Blake had explicitly told him that at some point, which had led to its own series of drama that he didn't want to admit to right now. Still... "I didn't mind, to be honest. Didn't have many friends at school, and stepmom and siblings didn't really know what to do with me." It was hard being the shy, artsy kid with no dad sometimes.

The little Fighting type seemed reassured by this. Mark got the uneasy sense that he suspected such frivolous display would reflect badly on his lineage.
    He tries sending a bit of mental reassurance that they would do their best to avoid that, and mentally kicks himself for how he'd acted last night again. This little riolu wasn't Elijah, and, no matter how much he missed that pokemon, he shouldn't try holding the baby to those standards or expectations. He especially shouldn't try taking over the little guy's training or ownership... his baggage would not let that situation end well.

So a bit of Mark's guilt colors that reassurance. He'd said sorry about that already, right? He should probably say it again. But not right now, in the middle of an unrelated and over-all quite pleasant conver- "Sorry about last night again, Riolu. I was... out of line." Or you could do that, my idiot son.

I guess not,” Mina agreed. “Anything, Anywhere, Every When was okay, I just liked Sky Flight* better. Multiverse and time travel stuff have never been my cup of tea either…unless it’s just being used as an excuse for dinosaurs,” she amended.
    He squinted a bit at her judgement of multiverse movies, -though to be fair, he only liked them when they actually used the concept right, and superhero movies these days (where the trope was most common) absolutely missed that mark,- but when he spoke again he said, "Okay, yeah, that's fair, dinosaurs are awesome. Paleolithic Park 1*? Absolute classic. No notes. Their clever mix of animatronics and fossil pokemon still holds up to this day. MILES better than the CGI in the recent reboots."

Show
    *Top Gun, except instead of enemy pilots the protagonists are trying to fly past a heavily fictionalized version of Rayquaza to rescue some scientists at the Sky Pillar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    G L O R I O U S Also, still got dibs on Rayquaza.

*Jurassic Park, of course, with Kabutops (with extra foot-talons and shark fins on their backs) as the raptors. (And the Paleolithic World movies just use a CGI Gigantimax Lapras with fin-swords as their Mosasaurus, which is another reason why this universe's version of the movies are just bad.)

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Pinklady:

Wispaferyn A uses Silver Wind!
    Croaky is hit for 43 damage!
    Croaky faints!

Blast Bolt uses Superpower!
    It’s super effective!
    Graveler B is hit for 81 damage!
    Blast Bolt’s Attack falls!

Machoke uses Leer!

Graveler B uses Rollout!
    Attack missed due to target KO!

Croaky: 0/77
    Blast Bolt: 102/102 (Attack down 1 level, Defense down 2 levels)

Graveler B: 42/123 (Defense up 1 level, Defense Curl)
    Not good... Go, Sport! Fake Out the Wispaferyn! And Blast Bolt, finish off the Graveler with another Superpower!"