New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Worst Christmas gift ever

Quote Originally Posted by DoomsdayBadger View Post
    Strawberries and what?
    Strawberries and cream. So cream would be the answer to your question.
    Spoiler
    Show

Look upon the Goddess and rejoice!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespe Ratavo View Post
    Curly, . . . you are not only made of epic win and not fail, but you are officially the greatest shipper of all time
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Mr. Scruffy is all knowing; he doesn't believe in squid bones, so neither should you!
    Bathatars!Blog!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Wow This thread makes me appreciate all the effort my parents went to. Sure sometimes they got it wrong.....

The classic example of this was that both my parents were fairly arty. Not that they could draw or anything, just that they liked art. One man's art however is another mans trash.

One year they got me a large pink painted paper mache cat from a local rising artist with a recommendation to "look after it because it will be worth something one day". I spent a day and a half looking at the freaky eyes, curly tail with an urge to kick it out the window. It lived in the cupboard for a long time and would only come out when they visited.

Eventually I gave it to charity.. SO LONG EVIL VOODOO CAT!!!!
    Jondar in Winding Roads

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitya View Post
    Speaking of RC cars... I asked for one of those my first year of college. My mother looked at me like I was completely insane! Until I pointed out how much fun it would be running up and down the hallways in the dorms, and in the cafeteria.... she still thought I was weird, but I did get a really good one.
    After far too many years I finally convinced my mum to buy me a remote control car Unfortunately I think it was fairly cheap and had to be sent back for repairs straight away and I think has something wrong with it now, but it still rocked. I like toys, I wish I got more of them ^_^ I just bought my cousin a R/C dragonfly, and I'm looking for a robotic dinosaur for my dad...

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Mine is not so much bad presents but more of a disturbing intent...

My wife's grandmother for the last few years has thought she won't be around for the next Christmas (she's still here ) so she started giving away her small yet personally valuable possessions 1 year we got a wicker chair from my wifes great great grandmother and 3 years ago we got silver salt and pepper shakers from 3-4 generations back...

The gifts are nice but it really freaks out my wife...
    Last edited by Dustyme; 2007-12-14 at 03:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65

DwarfFighterGuy

i'd have to say..... novelty penguin decorations.

now penguins are spiffy, and i find them entertaining, but like was stated before, it's the only thing known about me is that i like penguins, so i've got penguin shirts, salt and peper shakers, an igloo with lights that change color and three penguins on it, no less than four stuffed animal penguins, two penguin movies (march of the penguins and happy feet) and enough other penguin stuf to flood the artic with penguins.

so thats it for worst: over hyped swag of things i find occasionally funny.

Best: wife. after screaming "are you serious?" she said yes. i'll post the comic she made some other time.

second best: potato clock. you'd have to know me, for months at work i turned my name tag around and wrote "potato" on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You are my favorite kind of villain.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Cant say I ever got what I would consider a bad gift. All the gifts were given with good intentions so I like every one. I have gotten some cloths and the only reason I did not wear them is that they were too small (my grandma sent me a shirt that was too small). My parents were also very good about making sure I still got birthday presents as well even though my birthday is Dec 20th. Now the birthday presents usually were not much but that was the same for my sister so they were not playing favortism

I dont get christmas presents any more from most my family. Nor do I give them. We have come to a understanding that Christmas is for the kids and give presents to them, while just being together is a great gift for the adults. Needless to say my sister's children are spoiled rotten with gifts.

My grandma has an interesting habit of sending me stuffed animals and such for not only Christmas but other holidays. This is kinda wierd as I am a guy that has never been interested any stuffed animals. For valentines day she once sent me a octopus with hearts for the end of its tenticles. One of the tenticles you pressed and it would vibrate itself across the floor, the dog had fun barking at it and chasing it some. I loved it
    Last edited by Extra_Crispy; 2007-12-16 at 03:40 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Can I share the first place for a nice double package?

Part one: Girl living together with since 2 1/2 years (and I want to marry) breaking up Dec 14, 2 days later I'm coming back from Christmas party (where she asked me before if she should pick me up) and she's not there, explanation on the cellphone:"Can't you imagine where I am?" Yep, at the guy's she's been cheating me with.
    Part two: Fast forward some years, first christmas with my new girlfriend, we decide I'm with friends and she's spending the days at one of my best friend's as she has issues with the holiday(long story, she has mental problems). I have not the best feeling, but force myself to trust her.
    Yep, Dec 27 she calls from my "friend's" appartment to break up, and we all know the reason.

Now, for actual presents I can't really complain, most times people put nice thoughts into it. The bunch of glittering pink crap I got for my birthday this year, now that's another story I can really feel your pain, Serpy. Not that I wasn't amused..it's just amazing how much money my friends spent just to have a joke on me

Oh, and the wooden duck head on a stick (to put my glasses on) was a bit..weird.

@randomNPC: Now you made me feel guilty..My older sister had this thing with elephants, so for years when I was without imagination...

EDIT: V Dibs on the first package of pastries when you find them
    Last edited by faerwain; 2007-12-21 at 07:10 PM.

That's Axel, the noble bandrowdy and his female side
    Thanks to Dispozition for the fantastic Axel/Alexia-avatars
    Great Faerwain-avatar by Tomb Raven
    Deep bows to Ceika for Faerwain the Triumphant

Middle Ages' most beautiful side- brought to you by the Digital Age

8. - Top - End - #68

Well, they're not bad gifts, but funny gifts; When I was six or seven, I got a Bake With Me Oven (tm)- or whatever it's called- from my old babysitter. Then, the next gift I opened was from my grandma, it was pretty much the same thing, but I forgot what it's called. Long story short, I got two little tiny child-safe ovens that cook little tiny pastries. Those pastries were good. I miss those things. I wonder where I put them...

I don't ever really consider any gifts bad.
    Last edited by Em Blackleaf; 2007-12-21 at 07:06 PM.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."

-Abraham Lincoln
    Love wins.
    my blog.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Banned

Worst Christmas gift? Hrmmm... well, depends on how you define 'gift'. The worst thing I have received from anyone is complete indifference from someone I care very much for.

Spent 6 months working on this sort of walking stick, burning the semblance of a blooming rose vine into it so that it seemed to be twining around it. I then, very carefully positioned the stems and twinings so that they criss-crossed in just a way to spell the name of the recipient. I did this with a magnifying glass and sunlight because it allows for greater detail than most other instruments.

I left it at their door Christmas eve night with a tag saying who it was from. The person never thanked me, never even brought it up, never even gave me a merry Christmas.

That did not help my Christmas spirit at all.

-=-=-=-=-

Btw, not actually a 'worst' gift more than an annoying one, but last year I got something from my mother. A pair of sheets... with big cartoon dinosaurs on it. If it had been a gag gift it would have been amusing, but she got upset when she learned I wasn't intending to actually using them.

Has no idea why I, someone going on 25, wouldn't be too keen to use kiddie sheets. I noted that she doesn't use anything like that, but as she says, 'that's different'.

I mean, anyone who knows me knows I'm a big kid at heart, but... why purposely choose children dinosaur sheets over anything else with which I could clothe my bed?

Seriously, am I just being picky?

Anyways, maybe for this year I'll get some totally radical teenage mutant ninja turtle underoos! Woo hoo!
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-12-22 at 10:09 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Crappy christmas gifts, eh? Well, I'm sure I've had some stinkers in the past, but damned if I can remember them. Lately (last 5 or so years) I haven't had any because I either get money or choose what I want, like this year. In fact, I'm typing this out on my christmas present...Anyway...

Worst thing I can think of getting...Hmmmm...Something you already have and have no need for another one.

Something I really do want, just for kicks, a hand knitted jumper from my grandparents...Unfortunately, this is impossible...I'll have to make sure that if/when I become a grandparent, to give a gift like this.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

I can't remember, since I purged the memory from my mind, I do that whenever I get crappy gifts
    Last edited by Lord_Asmodeus; 2007-12-23 at 12:35 AM.
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

12. - Top - End - #72

Deodorant, soap, and mouthwash.
    Last edited by Lykan; 2007-12-23 at 12:37 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Halfling in the Playground

A stapler. Shaped like a fish. Horrible stapler, and tasted worse.
    Last edited by Natural20; 2007-12-23 at 01:05 AM.

D&D is all about that 5%. Everything else is just filler.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Banned

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lykan View Post
    Deodorant, soap, and mouthwash.
    i'll trade you for a $25 starbucks gift card.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Banned

I'm kind of a claustrophobic in the chest area and like to wear my own style, so I hate getting clothes for Christmas... mostly. There are a few exceptions. But number one rule; I don't wear long-sleeved shirts. That includes sweaters. I don't know, I like layers, and often shirts just aren't cut right when longed sleeved. However, I do like a jacket... *Rambles on about clothes*

16. - Top - End - #76
    Barbarian in the Playground

*gets into Russell Peters mode* "You get gifts for Christmas? "

Meh, mah family ne'er celebrated Christmas; sucks to be me.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

What bothers me isn't actual gifts, but has to do with the manner in which they are given.

If you pick out something for me that I don't like, but you thought I would, and thought about it and cared....that's a good gift, regardless of what you got me.

If, on the other hand, *looks pointedly at her aunt*....when Christmas time comes around, you realize that your closets are filled with pointless, frivolous things that you buy for yourself all the time with your shopping addiction and you then go through that to find something you can bear to part with to give your goddaughter, and to make it even worse, come up with some crap story about how, for example, these mickey mouse salt and pepper shakers practically jumped off the store shelf screaming to be boughten for Amanda...when you know you didn't buy them for her, and that she gets irritated by the constant barrage of hand-me-down disney paraphernalia you always give her, then it doesn't matter what you pick out of the shelf, I'm going to consider it a bad gift.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

The first few years my Wife and I were together my mother would get me a black, polyester shirt that was two sizes too small. For my wife, it was a white, polyester sweater, again two sizes too small. But that's nothing compared to what a friend of my wife gave her husband:

A nose hair trimmer. Seriously. When my Wife and I gave her friend a hard time about it, she said "Well, he needs it." - wow, that's crappy of her. I mean, it's not like she doesn't LOVE to go shopping. She always finds cool and unique gifts for everyone else, but her husband gets crappy gift after crappy gift.
    Founding father of the "The Did It!!" Cult

Campaign Organizer for the "Mr. Scruffy, Dictator For Life" Campaign

(Thanks to Bisected8 for the image of our glorious leader)

My Homepage
    My Blog
    My Other Blog

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't really point to any one gift and say "worst", but for years I got nothing but WWII books, since all that most of my family knew about me was that I was a WWII buff. (Seems to be pretty common, reading this thread. My sister gets nothing but dolphin paraphernalia, to continue with the animal theme.) My dad usually gets me something that's useless, but at least cool for a few days. Like a name tag that you can program to scroll a message across an LED screen, or an alarm clock that runs on water.
    Two presents were less than satisfactory, though. One was from my grandfather, and was actually pretty cool (both to 8-year-old me and present day, 16-year-old me). It was a cartouche (sp?) from Egypt, with my name written in hieroglyphics, made out of pure gold. My mom took it away to "keep it safe" as soon as my grandfather left the room, and I haven't seen it since.
    The other was a massive WWII battle display scene, with tanks and toy soldiers that you could move around. Pretty cool, except I got it when I was 14, years after I'd gotten tired of the Second World War, and have never in my life liked action figures.
    Oh, and every year since 5th grade, my grandparents give me coins. They decided I should start a coin collection, and got me a lock box and a few starters, and every year they add to it. The box sits in my closet under a pile of clothes, forgotten until December 26th.

Flip side: worst gift I have ever given.
    While I was in Mexico on a foreign exchange program in 7th grade, my sister's hamster died. She and I had both loved it, so I got her a proper hamster cage (the previous one had spent its life in a 2x1 aquarium), bedding, food and a few attachments for the cage. And of course, an adorable dwarf hamster.
    The hamster died on Christmas Eve.
    I cried my eyes out when I heard--my perfect, beautiful present, ruined! And the poor little critter that I'd so carefully chosen and held tight all the way back from the pet store. We wrapped up a little shoe box with a picture of a hamster in it, and a note explaining that if she wanted to, we could go get a hamster.
    She decided she didn't want one. So what I thought was going to be the best gift ever got stuffed in the basement, and the hamster was buried in the back yard. *dabs his eyes with a tissue*
    Last edited by TigerHunter; 2007-12-23 at 03:31 PM.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Worst Christmas gift ever - ingratitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    Worst Christmas gift ever - ingratitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitman00 View Post
    I don't think the point of this thread is to "complain" about our presents. They're presents. That would be silly. It's more to laugh about how funny it is when people who love us and who mean well give us things that we would never want or use. Most of the posts seem pretty good-natured about it.
    Gitman said it better than I could have. *wanders off*
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Colossus in the Playground

Compared to all these people on this thread, the worst present I ever got for christmas...
    A game guide to a game that i already have a game guide to.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm glad to say I've never received real stinkers. I find myself quite glad that whilst my parents may not know what I want, they take the time to look at things I'm buying for myself during the year, and act accordingly

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A t-shirt with some brand name on.
    Itæs white, has a to tight neck, has a brand name and logo on it, and has some yellow "thing" on it that I can
    t quite figure out the purpose of
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by CSK View Post
    None, all were great because the intention behind them was good.
    I refuse to beleive this.

Anyway my worst was a plant, but when I was about 10 (although admitedly I wouldnt exactly be chuffed if I unwraped a plant tomorrow)

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Well my mum tends to get a christmas music CD from someone different every year. I dont recall anything naff recently, but anything funny is good as far as Im concerned. A fix for this broken apostraphe key would be really nice this year.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won a trophy, yay!
    Mod madness, Roland's Choice award (tied with Ava)

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Apelord69 View Post

Anyway my worst was a plant, but when I was about 10 (although admitedly I wouldnt exactly be chuffed if I unwraped a plant tomorrow)
    If I got a plant tomorrow as a gift, I for one wouldn't be disappointed. Then again, I essentially majored in grass in college, with some horticulture classes thrown in. But that's just me.
    Grinning Purple Gelatinous Cube avatar courtesy of Lord_Herman
    Attacking Cube courtesy of Sampi
    Current avatar courtesy of Rutskarn

My GiTP stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM
    Currently none

Player
    currently none

Creations:
    Fimbulwight

I have my own RB thread right here.

Come and join in the newly minted Fictional Character Contest

28. - Top - End - #88

Hmmm ... at a work "Secret Santa" type deal last year, someone got me a size Medium shirt.

I wear size 2XL and my body frame doesn't exactly hide this fact.
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Alarra View Post
    What bothers me isn't actual gifts, but has to do with the manner in which they are given.

If you pick out something for me that I don't like, but you thought I would, and thought about it and cared....that's a good gift, regardless of what you got me.

If, on the other hand, *looks pointedly at her aunt*....when Christmas time comes around, you realize that your closets are filled with pointless, frivolous things that you buy for yourself all the time with your shopping addiction and you then go through that to find something you can bear to part with to give your goddaughter, and to make it even worse, come up with some crap story about how, for example, these mickey mouse salt and pepper shakers practically jumped off the store shelf screaming to be boughten for Amanda...when you know you didn't buy them for her, and that she gets irritated by the constant barrage of hand-me-down disney paraphernalia you always give her, then it doesn't matter what you pick out of the shelf, I'm going to consider it a bad gift.
    *hug* S' the best Christmas gift I can offer right now.
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Apelord69 View Post
    What about it do you not believe? That the intention behind them was good, or that the presents were all not very bad?

Because really, I might not be touching one book or another or listen to a CD, but I know the person meant well and I still can live with that.