Quote Originally Posted by Pheehelm View Post
How would you feel about making some (relatively temporary) adjustment to your appearance at the request of your SO? For instance, if they asked you to:

• change your hair length/style
  • wear a particular item/style of clothing/jewelry/footwear (especially heels)
  • wear a particular kind of make-up

how would you react? Where would you be happy to indulge them, what would be asking too much, and where would you take offense? How would you prefer they word their request, if at all? What are your personal experiences, if any, in this area?
No personal experience with people telling me X would look good (I'm allowing for good friends, as well as SO's), but most of what I do/wear is based on it being comfortable (which I why I don't wear jeans - I don't find denim comfortable), simple (which is why I cut my hair - I used to wear it down to my shoulders, but it tangled a lot and was a pain to deal with), and shirts that fit my general style (chemistry and snarky). If someone who I cared about wanted me to try a different style that wouldn't require a complete and total wardrobe change (I can't afford to do that), I'd be fine with trying it.

In terms of what I'd ask of an SO/close friend (and partly triggered by Glass Mouse's post)... if I actually thought I had any ideas worth mentioning in any kind of serious way (unlikely; I don't really pay attention to fashion), I'd probably mention it, probably in a "hey, have you ever considered X? I think it might look good on you" way. Also, it certainly wouldn't include any of the "girlifying" suggestions, since I don't find those particularly attractive (well, beyond being eye candy, sometimes; if they decide to dress like skanks, I'm willing to be a bit of a non-obvious pig).