1. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 64 Times the Harvesting: Let's Play Harvest Moon 64

*Is also kind of a Maria Fan*

Chapter 2: He Works Hard for the Money
    Spoiler
    Show

I run back to the farm and I ship some of the berries I picked up in the woods.

And I decide to run back into the mountains for a bit more material. There was a cave in the...

...A cave in the...
    The elf.
    The elf just like the ones I remember from when I was little. That summer, I spent a lot of time in the mountains... And while that goddess minded things, the little elven-sprite creatures of the woods were my companions, showing me the secret paths through the woods adults couldn't reach, playing music on blades of grass...
    The ones that everyone said could not exist... But all the same, we played a lot. They were really happy, to have someone new to play with.

...Now, either I am insane...
    Or I was right all along! Take that, Dad! Take that, childhood therapists!

Elves speak pig latin. Yes. This makes sense, he thinks, with his head full of lies.

"Really? Errr.... Eally-ray?"
    "Eally-ray..." I am having a conversation with an elf. That's a thing that's happening.
    "Well, I've gotta keep on the move, but maybe I can stop by sometimes and give lessons?"
    Or something. He seems to be speaking OK, provided he drops the pig latin.
    "Ummm.... that ould-way be ery-vay ice-nay... Aybe-may."
    He's a shy little bugger, isn't he?
    "Hey, umm..."
    I want to ask him about all the rest of it. Is he the same elf? Is he a different elf? Are there more elves? Does he remember playing with me?
    But he looks emberassed and uneasy around humans, so I just smile and say.
    "See you later."
    He nods cheerfully.

I fill my backpack with herbs and head on my way back home.

It's time to clear some space. Grandpa left me a suite of tools... I guess it can't be that hard to use an axe, right? Just ram the sharp parts into some wood.

See? As long as I remember: blade goes into the stump, not into my leg or something.

Next up, I need to plough the field. My grandpa said something about the shape... You want easy access to the plants, so you want a sort of...Fat U-type shape.

Like this...But it's pretty hard work. And I need to fill my watering can.
    On the way I spot my new little horse standing under the little lean-to stable against the barn. I give him a little scratch under the chin.

"Goodnight, Agro. Good night, Link."
    Or, well, not exactly... The watering can's space is really far away from the shipping bin. It's kind of a pain.

There! 8 little turnips, snug as bugs in rugs!

I finish at midnight, and when I go to put away those herbs I notice Zack left me some cash, and I put it in my wallet.
    With all but one shipped out, I think it's time to close the day. I spend a little time inside trying to get used to the heft of the watering can...

And to keep my strength up, I have a little snack before bed. The herb is a little bitter, but it doesn't taste bad -- kind of warm and earthy. Herb-like, I guess.

I turn to look over the little notebook left, and I notice in the nightstand... An old photo album.
    It's almost completely empty, except for one photo.

It's a picture we took together that Summer... He must have had other albums, other photos... Why leave this one here?
    Was this album...Meant for me? Or meant for other summers with me?
    ...Well, that ship sailed, right? But I can at least try and find some interesting things to take pictures of. I won't let it go empty.

As I go to bed, the thought occurs. Look at that picture. I'm basically a clone. Our hats are even the same.
    ...Well, better Grandpa than Dad.

Spring - 4 - xxx1

Another morning, another riceball breakfast.

Today, I think I'll head back to the cave first, gather up some shippables and flowers. Maybe run into that elf.

...He's not here today...Did I...Dream them up, or something?
    Well, it's early. Maybe he's still asleep. I pick up my herbs and go.

I also head to a little clearing with a beautiful pool. It feels peaceful and serene...The feeling of deja vu creeps over me as I pick the flowers.
    On my way back, I see that people have started heading into the mountains. Including Mr. Angry Cowboy.

"Whatever." If I had to guess his name based on how he acts, it'd be Richard. Kept abbreviated, with the rhyming-nickname.
    I'll just yoink this flower and go.

I kind of over-estimated my load-bearing capacity, so I've got to run down the path with it in my hands.

"I thought you'd like a little fresher one this time, Popuri."
    "Oh, thank you! It's so pretty.... <3"
    "Anyway, I gotta go make a purchase."

I figure diversity's a good thing in planting.

*sigh* Goodbye, money. It was nice meeting you.

I wave hello to the old woman sitting outside the bakery. I guess she's Elli's granny.

"But of course you don't remember me. Last time we met, you were just a sprout."
    "W-well, it's nice seeing you again."
    I apparently have a good memory for magical pixies and a bad memory for people.

The bakery has a really cute, quaint feeling to it.

"For every 10 stickers you get buying cakes. There are a lot of nice prizes."
    "Elli, I can't afford a cake, much less 10 customer-appretiation stickers worth of cakes."
    "You've got a point... But how does that sound as a sales-pitch? I'd like to try and do more here... Granny and I work together on the baking, and Jeff runs the shop..."
    I look at the guy with the dopey mustache. She's really trying to out-perform him?
    "It's a good pitch. For a guy who's got money."
    "I'm sure you'll have better luck. We just both have to do our best."
    "Yeah."

I figure while I'm making my rounds, I may want to stop by the tool shop. I've got a spare flower.

And Ann's there, too. I guess the ranch is closed on Thursdays.
    "Hey! How are you?"
    "I think I'm doing alright." Running about 5 hours of sleep and dirt-poor, but alright.
    "Well, let's hope it continues, then!"

"You got that right." It's a pity I'm just generally in 'pretty alright' spirits, or 'nah, I'm cool' spirits. How do mellow spirits work for you, Ann?

"But stop by sometimes. I'm Rick... I forgot to introduce myself the other day."
    "Nice to meet you. I picked up a 'sample' for you, by the way."

"No problem." It's a little odd -- everyone in this town seems down with flowers. Maybe giving gifts is just the way of things, like some sort of Native American society.
    "I run through them pretty quickly, but I'll probably still want more."
    "...What happens to something when your invention doesn't work on it?"
    "They sort of explode. And then the machine explodes. It's a bug I'm trying to work out."
    Everything exploding sounds a little extreme for a bug.

Well, anyway. Last thing up is the library. I'd like to let Maria get a little bit more comfortable with me.
    So I really just spend my lunch reading a book quietly. Neither of us says anything besides a casual and stuttered (respectively) "hello." It's a little library, but there's a lot of care put into it: not a book out of place and not even a tiny sheen of dust.
    I'm impressed, but it'd be wierd to say that, right? 'I'm really impressed by your library-tending' sounds...really unsuave. So I end up not saying anything, and letting the chance go by.
    As I turn to leave, Maria stops me.

"...t-the library between jobs...L-like this again."
    Well, at least I'm welcome here. I offer her a soft smile.
    "It'd make me happy to do that."
    She smiles at me and then goes back to looking at her own book.

Actually, I think that went rather well. I have some free space, so I run back up the mountains and put whatever I think could look nice in there.

And get home in plenty of time to ship it off. Maybe I'll even have time to hit the bar tonight...So maybe I'll save a couple of the berries and see if they know anything neat I can do with them. I'll save an herb to eat, too, and ship the rest.
    I spend the time until dusk watering my turnips...Ugh. I'm so inefficient that the water just goes everywhere. This stuff really is harder than I thought it would be...
    Yeah. I totally need a drink. But first, to collect my earnings...

Holy...Look that that money! I can buy a lot more seeds with this!
    Wow. I'm in a life where 400 is worth going "holy" over.

Well, this lifts my drinking spirits.

I hit the bar just after it opens... It's not completely deserted, surprisingly. I start chatting people up, starting with Ann's dad.

"...Well, that's encouraging."

"You're drunk, so I'll forgive you."
    "Thanks...Don't tell Ann, alright? She'll put up a fuss."
    I will remember that should you laugh again.

The guy from the vineyard the other day waves me over.
    "Hey there. In all that mess, I never introduced myself."
    Yeah, no one in this town remembers right away.

"Nice to meet you. I...I guess I own that old farm just down the road from you guys. I'm Fox."
    "Good luck."

Well, while I'm here, I'd like a word with our would-be runaway waitress.

"Where are you from?"
    Before I can say something, her face drops into a little frown.
    "Well, it doesn't matter."
    She waves me off with a smirk.
    "You'll be gone soon anyway."
    "Well, while I'm here... Your family runs the vineyard, right? You guys have any need of..."
    I take the berry out of my backpack.
    "This?"
    She takes it, and her face completely changes.

"Really?"
    "This sort of berry makes the absolute best drink, but I don't have time to get any myself. Thank you! <3"

And, finally, it's time for me to get a drink.

Ok, it's time for me to stand around and drink up the atmosphere. Fair enough. Well, to test the atmosphere at the bar, I may as well talk to the bartender.

"Are you a tourist?"
    "No, I just moved to the farm down the road."
    "Well, it's good to take on a big challenge when you're young."

"Huh, that's nifty. So, you'd know what to do with...this berry? Karen was saying it makes a good wine."
    "It does. It's popular around here with anyone who knows wine. The mountain has good materials."
    I'll keep that in mind...
    "I gotta run. There's still work that needs doing."
    "Don't put it all off forever, kid."
    "I won't."

After all, this field needs clearing if I'm to plant these cabbages.

And it's still a lot of work to do. I may need to tighten my schedule a bit, since by the time I'm done it's past midnight again.
    But I do -- I really do -- get everything done. Mostly...
    And then I hop gratefully into bed.

Ok, two notes.
    I am sooo bad at playing this via emulator. The layout of the field does not get along with key-based controls at all. Not even a little bit. He's always at a diagnol and aaarrrg. I've decided to order a USB adaptor for my N64 controller to fix this issue.

The second note is that I'd like to have a second plot of turnips with some money... But I'm not sure if I'd rather have a second plot of cabbages right away (allowing us to ship more cabbages while still having a steady back-and-forth rotation to have gifts for Maria, who loves cabbages)...Or if I should move into another of my plans, getting out some potatoes to woo Ann. Ann's got plenty of time, and good gifts to give her all summer, so we may want to hold off there. So, official vote! Cabbage or Potatoes?

I'll also start putting up the cast list, since I need a good reference for all my fonts. I've got the girls up now.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-05-21 at 04:16 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...