1. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!

This past February, my friends and I did a Stadium 2 rental tournament. Great fun was had by all, and we want to make this an annual tradition, but the problem is that we've absolutely torn that metagame apart. Charizard + Magneton + Kingdra/Dewgong/Dragonair make a perfect defensive core. Heracross has been nicknamed "Wreck ****" because, with a STAB Megahorn and unexpected bulk (he can survive a Psychic from Kadabra), that's what he does. Et cetera. Everyone knows which 'mons are viable.

So, to prevent staleness, we're adding a new event to the tourneys next year - Battle Revolution. Generation IV, twice the species, physical/special split, fun stuff. However, there are no rentals in the game, so I and one friend have split up the mons (he handles I and II, and I take care of III and IV) and we're going to breed/train our own "rentals". By sticking to only the fully evolved 'mons, we figure this is doable in six months.

Having decided all this, I then pick up SS for the first time in a year-and-a-half, only to remember that TMs aren't infinite use in Gen IV.

I also realize that I've traded my full breeding stock of Dittos to White.

I also learn that the only way to obtain the Gen III starters using the Gen IV games is to beat Red in HeartGold and SoulSilver, at which point you receive one. None of my friends have functioning Gen III games.

That said, I had set down the game prior to beating Red, which I proceeded to do yesterday morning with a shamefully unoptimized team:
    L70 Typhlosion - Eruption, Flamethrower, Lava Plume, Swift
    L70 Magnezone - Discharge, Mirror Shot, Thunder Wave, Magnet Rise
    L70 Victreebel - Leaf Blade, Leaf Storm, Slam, Sleep Powder
    L70 Slowbro - Surf, Psychic, Headbutt, Slack Off
    L70 Machamp - Dynamic Punch, Strength, Rock Climb, Foresight
    "HM Whore", L45 Lugia - Doesn't matter, because L45.

No TMs, no EV training, really no optimization beyond ensuring they have a somewhat appropriate nature. So, apparently you can beat Red (on Set, no less) without too much grinding. One starter down.
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2012-07-14 at 05:04 PM.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)