Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
Sophistry. Of course some people seem really good; these Kendoka fall under that category. It's also a factor of awareness, actual speed and effective speed in combination. My point still stands; kendo can and will, of you care to learn it, teach you speed.
Wasn't denying that. Just that kendo or any other martial art could make you un-anything (-beatable, -stoppable, -detectably fast, etc).

Going into something with the intent to conceal a lethal weapon is a very different beast than having a sword on you. I still don't understand why you would carry a sword, concealed, on your person. But whatever.
I wouldn't, but it is doable. I -do- carry a pretty good sized knife sometimes.

Concealed weapons are noticeable. The posture is different. The clothes hang differently. A person who knows they have a weapon will unconsciously gesture their hands toward its resting spot. They will either pointedly lock their gaze or flick twir eyes in the direction of the weapon. Trench coats do a really bad job of concealing swords because the motion transmits down the lever differentt than it does the legs and clothes. The fabric will cover It visually but it's akin to a tablecloth hiding a table.
Except for your point about the motion of the trenchcoat, all of those depend on training and the exact cut of your clothing. The knife I mentioned above is arguably a short-sword (16 inches overall length), but noone's ever noticed it on me when I do carry it. Carrying a weapon for protection and carrying a weapon with the intent of harming someone are very different animals. You get used to the former after a while and all but forget you have it unless something triggers your sense of danger. Learning to conceal the fact that it's been triggered is another matter.

Tried some of the taijiquan forms I know. Or knew. Not only are try Arles, but my legs and back aren't happy. I may get back into these things yet.
Ouch. Back pain sucks. Hope that clears up for you.