1. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 64 Times the Harvesting: Let's Play Harvest Moon 64

I'll let that be our earliest one, then.
    Chapter 21: The End of the Summer of Blooming Love
    Spoiler
    Show

Summer - 28 - 1
    Some tomatoes came in. I guess this is close to the final harvest...Summer's nearly over.
    I guess Summer ended up being the time for love, but...
    Man, who knew having feelings meant you end up more alone? Wouldn't it just be better to have had some fun with them all and gotten run out of town when they realized I'm a creep?
    It's what would happen! My version of it kind of ends with Grey shooting me.

I end up sort of on auto-pilot, wondering why this feels like a less annoying option.
    I'm in the cave before I know what I'm doing...But while I'm here, I may as well ask:

"Hey, I was wondering...What's in that picture you gave me?"
    "It's the king's tree!"
    "And the King's Tree is?"
    "Once upon a time, there was a great Harvest King, who lived on the mountain...But he was forgotten, and the mountain's peak faded as a place of power...But before then, he planted two trees. One's got the sweet-and-sour fruit, the other has the Fruit of the Harvest Moon!"
    That's...A weird legend. Of course, I'm talking to an elf. It might be true.
    "Why'd he do that?"
    The elf shrugged.
    "We're just mountain spirits."
    "We?"
    "You haven't ummmm...met again? emet-ray? That! You haven't yet, right? Come again, and we'll have a party! We can talk more then!"

I also run into Basil at the flower shop. His advice is sort of in my head, so...
    "Hey, if you met yor wife here...Where are you from?"
    "I'm from Green City..."

"Are in bloom. People travel the world over to collect plants to grow there."
    "Wow. That's some impressive climate stuff..."
    "It's an amazing city."
    "But you're here."
    He laughs.
    "So I am. I think I've given my reasons...But this is an irreplacable place, as much as Green City."

Huh...An irreplacable place. That's a nice way to think about it...But isn't it the circumstances, and not the place, that really matter?

I didn't actually know...That she likes me. But...I don't think it'd work. And I know it'd hurt Karen and...Maybe Maria?
    "Ww-well, I...I...That's..."
    She laughs.
    "You're so untested in the heart, aren't you? I'm worried she'll take advantage of you, at this rate."
    "Ma'am, don't you think the reverse is more likely?"
    "I did...For a while. That time's long over."
    "So you don't think I'd end up being run out of town by various men with guns?"
    And she just laughs and laughs.
    "I'm sure you'll do your best, Mr. Ladykiller...But a woman always has the faster draw in love, even if she never lets you see the gun."

...Whatever.

Unlike the past while, where lunch in the library has been a bit of routine, comforting and unremarkable...Today's conversation was one worth remembering.
    "Fox...I-I've been thinking...About things."
    She fingers her pendant, the light reflecting off of it and onto her glasses.
    "About that salesman?"
    "A-and about what you told me..."

Somehow, even if she looks small and afraid... Saying that reminds me how tough she looked, talking to that salesman.
    I don't even remember what I said next -- something trite, I think. 'Let's both do our best.' 'I'll do what I can to support you.' Something kind of meaningless like that.
    "I-I don't know what I'll do later...Even tommorow...But all I can do...Is hope I can do it."
    "I know you can."
    She offers me a bright smile...
    And we return to discussing our books.

As I question whether or not Grey owns a shotgun at the ranch, Ann pulls me aside.
    "Hey...You don't need to worry so much about Grey."
    "...Could have fooled me."

"He could use more friends, honestly...So try not to be too intimidated."
    "...Are we talking about the same guy?"
    "Yes!...He's just...Terrible. With people. He's better with animals."
    I've been trying to be...Not unpleasant. Results have been...Mixed.
    "I'll do my best, Ok? Because you asked."
    She grins.
    "Thank you!"

At the bar, I run into him. He's nicer when he's had a drink or two. Today, though, he looks...Thoughtfully distressed, maybe?
    "Hey, what's up? You've got a weird pensive look."
    "Do I look like I'm...I dunno, like..."

"Well that's good."
    "It's not your business."
    "I know...But I see you all the time, so I guess it's neighborly concern."
    He snorts, like a horse.

Cliff, drinking on the table behind me, watches this and smiles thoughtfully.
    "What's that for?"
    I ask, smirking a bit more than usual.

"That's all."

"....Uhhh...Well..."
    I've not really thought about it. She's...She's...Ann. Ann is Ann. She's...distinctly Ann-ish.
    Attractive in a tomboy sort of way, energetic...She's a person who feels kind of pressure-less, someone who'll laugh about anything, and who talks to me easily and happilly...I think I know her pretty well, but...
    But why's he asking me? Is he the one who'd have a shotgun?
    "What if I said I like her?" My customary smirk is on full-throttle. Which means it's like .75 of a smirk. I'm not good at full-throttle. At least, I don't think I am.
    He practically leaps out of his seat.

"I'll give you a cow, too!"
    "...Seriously? That's...A little over-excited, don't you think?"
    I was expecting a version where he threatens me a little. But when I ask that, he slumps down and sighs.

"...that so, huh..."

Do I see Ann as a woman? Well, I included her in my 'bag every girl in town' vision...But she doesn't act very girly, so I can see why it'd be hard to think of her that way...I dunno. In terms of being a friend, without any complicated feelings, just real friendship...
    She's probably my best friend. I like that. And I think she likes being my friend, too. I'm not sure I'd want to complicate that...
    So there. Deal with it.

I feel secure enough in that that I can go fishing...

And come away with a massive fish! Look at that thing!

An another!
    I'm on fire tonight!

I end up with 3 great fish. How lucky. I'll put one in the freezer -- one of the big ones. It's a trophy if I need one, and if I don't, it's still a great catch.
    ...Of course, by the time I've stood there all night...
    My resolution feels like a worm on a hook, dangling loose in the back of my head.

Summer-29-xxx1

This morning, I get up early and see the Harvest Sprite waiting eagerly in the little cave.
    "You came! Come, meet the others!"

Others, huh?...I remember there being a lot when I was a kid...But these guys are mysterious.

He takes me into a little inner cavern. It's got a tiny table and tiny benches...But some big pots of...Something.
    In the other corners, there's a small desk and a little worktable with tools that seem a little big for them, but a little small for me... I wonder...
    And some bunkbeds. Just 3, so I guess it's the three of them.

"These are my brothers, Nak and Flak!"
    ...They all...Look identical.
    "They didn't think you'd come back! But I did, so I win!"
    They even have matching outfits, like triplets with creepy yuppy parents.
    I shake my head.
    "Win what?"
    "Win winning!"
    That doesn't even make sense...

"They guy you said was coming back was smaller. This guy's too big to be the same guy."
    The one by the table protests.
    "He's a human! They're like corn!"
    "Was he always human?"
    "I think so... it's been a long time..."
    The one by the desk muses.
    "But he's got the same hat, so he's the same, I guess..."

"...You know...I'm not sure I get the deal with you guys..."
    Are they really wise, or incredibly dumb?
    I guess they could be both.

"Stars of the mountain!...Except for him," he points to the one by the table.
    "He's too busy treasure-hunting to be a fabulous star."

"Treasure-hunting...?"

"But it's sparkly and round...If you give it to me, I'll give you a good thing <3"

"I'll keep an eye out for some."
    "Alright, then. I guess I'll acknowledge you....If you find it, maybe."
    Acknowledge?
    "Ooh, ooh, is that what we're doing? Well...I'll think about it."

Back into a normal subject, back into a normal subject...
    "Are you guys all there are?"
    I feel like there were more...
    "Well, there's us, and the Goddess...And there's some people you haven't met yet."
    "Like?"
    "Ooh, have you met the Kappa?"
    "...T-there's a kappa here?"
    Don't those...eat people?
    "Yeah. He oversees...Some stuff. He likes big fish, since you don't get his special treat here."
    "...I'll keep it in mind. Where does he live?"
    "By the pond with the rock. Oh, yeah! There's the rock, too!"
    "No one likes the rock."
    ...How...Weird. Rocks and kappas...

"I gotta get back to work. This's been fun...I'll be by again."

They cheer.

...Man, if I didn't feel so lucid...I'd get the vibe sometimes that that cave is full of some sort of hallucinogen. Couldn't you just see that?

I walk quietly into town and head towards the florist's when...

Grey steps out. He looks embaressed, like I caught him doing something he didn't want me seeing.
    Which is...Well, he needs grass seeds, right? It's totally reasonable.
    Then Popuri walks out, smiling happily. There's a little laugh in her voice as she talks.

"...."
    He flushes and wipes a little sudden nervous sweat from the back of his neck.

And she pulls out a box of flower seeds. They don't sell them this time of year...Did he make a special order?
    He takes them with a trembling hand.

"I bet they'll look so nice. It'll be so bright and cheerful...I'll have to come see <3 When your efforts bear beautiful flowers...That's something worth seeing, isn't it?"
    "..." He gulps and nods.

And she leaves, leaving him sweating bullets.

I think I'm in stitches, no matter how calm I keep my face. He looks at me and I picture shotguns...But throw a sweet, bubble-gum goddess of a girl in his path, and he's practically 13!

"seeds? You wanna make somethin' of it?"
    Of course...If we talk about suddenly forgetting you're not a teenage boy...
    Mr. Sure-I'll-Almost-Break-My-Neck-For-You-Popuri here isn't much better, right?
    I shrug.
    "I don't think it's stange at all, actually." I'd grow flowers, if I had space and time. They're nice touches.

He turns and walks away.
    "I won't tell anyone, though, if it makes you nervous."
    "...Good."

I run into Harris after lunch. He's got his usual smile.
    "Having a good day at work?"
    "It's easy, if you like your job."
    And impossible if you don't.

"When you find a letter in the mailbox, doesn't it make you happy?"
    "Yeah, it does. I guess that's enough to make anyone smile."
    He nods and continues on his way, whistling.

When I'm at the ranch, I bring up this morning's meeting to Ann.
    "...He couldn't get out a word, I swear."
    "Oh, no...He couldn't? That idiot..."
    "Oh?"

"But good doesn't impress a girl if you can't talk to her!"
    She raged at her non-present brother.
    "I didn't think I could picture him as really good... But I didn't think I could picture him growing flowers, so maybe I have a lot to learn."
    She laughed.
    "See? It doesn't help him if no one knows! He's got to be more honest!"
    "You know, he says he doesn't talk because you've done all the talking."
    I laugh, but she pouts.
    "Oh, hardy har."
    "I actually like it."
    She blinks.
    "What?"
    "Well, yeah. I mean...Like you were saying -- people can't tell if you're a nice person or not unless you're honest...But you're pretty open, and you've always been encouraging, so I trust you."
    I give her a warm pat on the shoulder. She looks at my hand for a while, like she's holding her breath. Her expresssion is intent and far away.
    That's what I remember later -- what I say at the moment is,
    "I guess that's why you're probably my best, well, friend sort of friend, you know?"
    Her gaze on my hand lingers a moment longer. She clenches her fists.
    "Don't you have work to do or something? Your animals are probably waiting for you, so get to it!"

As she turns away...Something in my stomach sinks. What'd I say?
    I end up thinking about it for the rest of the day. I'd say she's just worried about herself, or her brother, or both, but...
    What have I got to do with it? Unless she thinks I said something I wasn't...Or unless she felt I was saying something I was, maybe?

I circle around the bar, giving Grey a quick hi. He admits, there...

"Yeah, that makes sense..."
    But I get the feeling he doesn't think talking solves much of anything. Still, it worried her.

And I see Karen's dad.
    "How's Karen doing?"
    "How should I know?"
    He sighs.

No, it's because you're not trying hard enough!
    I'd say that, but I think I wouldn't be talking to him, which would defeat the point.

I fish for a while...

Not last night's crazy luck, though. That lure of my thoughts keeps dangling in the breeze, tangling with other lines...
    Why does this even bug me? I was just being honest...

Meh. I'll sleep and it'll go away.

Summer - 30 - xxx1

Summer's just about over. I made some good money this season...

And with the last harvest of corn to see me out, I guess I'll make some more!

I find Cliff looking at himself in the water up on the mountain.
    "Watcha looking at?"
    "Just thinking about how weird my hair is."
    Can't say I noticed...

He's also got the tips of his bangs.

"...I don't think genetics works that way."
    "Yeah. That's why it's a little weird."
    He chuckles. Something about this bugs me, and it's not the oddities of the human genome.
    ...Who does that hair remind me of...?

Popuri stops me when I wave as she goes by.
    "What's up, Popuri?"
    "I was thinking about flowers?"
    "Yeah. What about them today?"
    "They're so complicated...But they're also very simple, too. The infinite complexity of the blossom unfolding can exist...And yet..."

"So nice...That happiness is so simple, while everything around it is complicated."
    "That's true enough..." She looks at me for a moment, her face flushing and fiddling with her fingers.
    "But there's something else that's like that, too. And...I'm glad."
    I end up smiling, which just sends her beaming. We're in a moment of totally reciprical smiling. Something simple and complex, huh?
    You know, the world she lives in...Is a bright and special world, isn't it? It's a curious world. It's nice.
    I could stay in that world for a long time, with someone bright and beautiful.

When I talk to Ellen, she adds something.
    "Still, you might want to slow down."
    "But I don't have a lot of time."

"limited? That's true in some ways, but not in others...When you take the time to really feel your heart, and enjoy the world...That's what makes time precious."
    "That may be a little deep for me..."
    "Oh, I doubt that." She laughs and sends me along.

I find Ann at the vineyard, of all places -- I don't think I've ever seen her here before...But maybe that's because I need to visit more.
    "I'm surprised to find you here."
    She doesn't seem angry anymore, but she looks as surprised as I am (not as I look, since her face is an open book).
    "You were looking for me?"
    "Well, kinda...I mean, you looked mad at me yesterday."
    She puts her hands on her hips and gives me a grin.
    "Don't you worry about me, alright?"
    "So what are you doing here?"

"I see...Yeah, that make sense."
    The three of us chat before I go home.

Where I find that Lambo, in the corner of our field...

Is a grownup sheep, with some fine, fluffy white wool. I go back for the shears...But I admit, I have no idea what I'm doing.

"Hold Still, Lambo...Hold nice and still for daddy. Daddy doesn't what to cut something vital."
    He seems to listen, flipping an ear to hear me.
    Uhhh...Well, more wool is better, so...Cut close, huh?
    As I clip, I try to avoid anything complicated, leaving out the head and legs. I'm pretty sure I could cut some stuff I don't intend to that way...
    I also try and pet him to keep him still. He stamps his hooves a few times...But in spite of what I'm expecting, he doesn't struggle.

And I come away struggling to carry a big ball of wool...

And a happy, naked Lambo.
    "That wasn't so bad, right?"
    He baas.
    "Good boy."
    Into the shipping bin it goes.

And to the bar I go.
    "Hey, Cliff. How are you finding things?"
    "You're nearly as new here as I am, from what I've heard? Shouldn't I be asking you?" He smiles wryly and shakes his head.

"...like strangers."
    "Yeah...It's weird here. I like it, though. I get sort of an odd feeling..."
    "You're from the city, though, right? It's probably the air. I can't stand city air -- neither can Cain, so we stay clear."
    "You know...That's probably not bad policy. City's got a bigger selection of nice bars, though..."[/color]

"And what's wrong with this one, huh?" The bartender asks, with a wry grin.
    "Nothing, nothing!"
    "Heh. Don't worry, kid. It's not like I can afford to kick you out."
    "...I only ever can afford water."
    "Yeah, but one of these days, you'll be in the money."
    "You think?"
    "...A kid like you's got to go somewhere with himself -- he'll drive his own way home."
    "Hmmm..."

Well, regardless. When I go home, I get the sickle out of the tool box...

And go to town on the crops. Tommorow, they'll be no use...I kind of get the feeling they'll die in the first cold snap.
    Sweat builds up as the night cools, and I feel myself getting more and more tired with each swing of the cycle. I've gotten pretty strong...Or so I thought.
    Well, I guess being strong enough for an axe is not strong enough for a sickle.

And here's where I am at the end of the season.

Typo Report!
    Spoiler
    Show

Another little editing trick on my part, to make that make that work in the LP itself. For this, I, as always, turn to my friend the typo report. It lets you guys appreciate my work.

Ok, guys. We're actually almost done raising the affection of the girls, and we've met all but 3 people...
    So who should I focus our friendship-raising attention on next? Any favorites? I'll be doing the rivals, as I have been, but I can specifically focus on them if you guys like.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-11-04 at 06:17 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...