1. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 64 Times the Harvesting: Let's Play Harvest Moon 64

We only get one; I may do a bonus chapter, if I've still got a save-state for the 25th. I may not.

Chapter 31: And We're Off to the Races!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fall-26-xxx1

I'm not going to think about last night.
    I refuse.
    Not gonna happen.

I refuse to acknowledge the old man, with his stupid insistance that he knows how to live my life.
    Watch me!
    Harvesting my eggplants, not thinking about my father.

I don't have time to take care of the animals before work, because I had a lot of eggplants that I harvest without a certain person in my thoughts.

How early does he expect me to get here, exactly? He's never said.

It occurs to me that this is the first thought I've had today that wasn't a deflection of other thoughts. It's kind of a happy relief.

"Did you guys ever work out the other side?"
    "Yeah, we just decided to use the tree to get to the other side."
    ...Does anyone even need a bridge?

My mountain song doesn't really work for this, sadly.
    I work for the day, trying to silence my...I dunno, me.

Actually, I'm tired and sweaty, but I'm feeling pretty rested. Pounding things into the ground really works well to de-stress...
    When you picture a certain face on the stakes.

Anyway, I head home to tend my animals.

Half a month left. I...I think she's doing OK? Maybe?
    What do I know of pregnant cows? She's eating OK and stuff.

I spend the rest of the evening logging...

The results show themselves, at least a little bit.

It's been kind of a boring day...But I've sort of cooled out, or at least shoved it all to the back of my head where I don't have to look at it for a while.
    In reflection, I think I kind of do that a lot.

Fall-27-XXX1

The mornings are getting colder. Winter's almost here.
    ...I could use one of Rick's rugs, maybe. The floor borders on freezing.

You know, I don't even know why my TV has a news channel, if everyone's going to tell me their news at my lawn.
    Though I suppose the advance planning wouldn't be a bad idea to check out.

Anyway, behind door number 1 is...
    Mr. Green!

Oh, yeah...Agro is actually grown up this time.
    "Wait, wasn't there already a horse race?"
    "We do two a year; it's a big source of income for the town. The next one's..."

"Well, I'll give it a whirl, but I've never raced before...Besides, wasn't that the terms of letting me have Agros?"
    So don't even try to pretend I have a choice.
    "Got me there; but I'll bet you'll do fine!"
    "Like I said, I'll do it."

"In the morning!"

Man, I don't even know what it takes to get a horse ready to race...

Well, I guess if this is what's happening...

I give Agro a big, thorough brushing.
    "You're my friend, aren't you, buddy? You're a good, fast horse..." I pat his side. "Listen, it's OK if we don't win, alright? I'd have payed my debt to Mr. Green, whatever sort of debt it is..."
    Agro looks at me and snorts. He tosses his head. I guess, in the end, he's a race-horse, not a farm horse. Not winning's not in his blood...
    That's the impression that I get.

I also take care of animals this morning, since I ran late the other day.

To work today!
    I wonder how this will mesh with the races...

It sounds like we're starting to work with the planks for the bridge, which I guess is a late step?

The cool air made the work feel a bit more wieldy; I can't imagine this happening in the summer. I'd just keel over, improved stamina or not.

And when the day's almost over...

I guess that solves it; I'm done here!

I still wonder if anyone really needs it...

"The mountain...You know, without having to test tree branches."
    The man has a point.

They stroll off, leaving me excited to see what we've done, and excited to see what I've earned.

Given that I only need 30k for a greenhouse...
    I'm thinking I'm pretty good, financially.

As I head up to gather things from the mountain, I hear... A certain familiar voice.

It's a voice that sends me running instantly...Yeah, that little rosebud and daisy sort of voice, sweet as spring.
    And I know pretty much where to find its owner, too, though whether that's knowledge or some sort of memory...Or some sort of intuition...I can't really say. I just know, and start running at the cliff.

And wouldn't you know it, there she hangs.
    "Are you alright?"
    "I-I can't get up!"

While I admit, I jump that height pretty often... On the other hand, I choose to make that jump. In other world, I control it...Sort of.

"Hang on! I'll help!"

I shimmy up the tree as quick as I can manage. I feel a little proud, having managed this skill. Because unlike trigonometry, tree climbing is actually a skill that's useful. Right now...It's something I can use to help someone precious to me.

A girl on the rock ledge... Didn't that happen in a dream I had? Or sometime in the past?

I leap across the gap and reach over to her. Her hands, scrabbled tight against the rock... But they're just a little...
    Just a little out of reach. I try creeping my knees to the edge of the cliff, getting more and more tenuous as I reach.

If either of us say anything, I really can't remember it. I wonder if I shouldn't have just tried to catch her like a sane person...Or would that be more crazy?
    Her face right then looks like a scared child, and when I pull her up...The instinct to protect her sort of takes over, and I wrap her up in my arms. She's more panicked from lack of control of the situation than real fear of danger...
    In that hug, I smell her hair; you'd expect a floral scent, but it's strawberries. The oddly exact...matchiness...of it is kind of silly. Maybe that's why she likes it. I try not to think about that, but send warm thoughts in my arms.

She calms down a bit and I let go.

"And I reached out and slipped. Thanks, you saved me."
    "I don't think it would have been that bad."
    She giggles, returning to her bright and cheery self.
    "Maybe not. But all the same... You risked as bad a fall as I'd have gotten, so I wouldn't have to fall...Or, if I did, not alone. That's saving, no matter how small."

We look at the flower of her desire, growing down the cliff-face... It's just a little white flower, with a heavy bell-shaped blossom. It sat on a little ledge, only big enough for it...

And she gets a nostalgic look on her face.

"But hasn't something like this happened before?"
    "You know...I was just thinking that, too." Yeah...I remember.

When we were kids, I found her like this...And tried to get to her, but...
    My arms weren't very long, then, and we ended up on a ledge together...
    And her dad had to help us.

I dreamed it, too, so that's a double deja vu.
    "That didn't work out so well last time." I was crying; I remember that.

"When you came back to town, I barely even recognized you as the same little kid...
    You pulled me up so easily..."

I'm glad. I'm glad I got to help her...Heck, I'm glad I was strong enough, even though I've known for a while I can lift her. There's something bright and shining to her happiness about being saved, to her admiration...I want to save it, somehow.
    But...With the way things are right now...
    That's not a gladness I can really do much about, so I look back down at the flower.

"Maybe one day that flower will grow, too; it'll grow where I can reach it for myself. Well, until then... I guess I'll have to count on you <3."

And with that cheerfully enigmatic comment, she's off.

With my heart trying to decide if it's frustrated or happy, I climb down...

And chop some lumber. Current count: 431, so maybe I'll get enough by winter's start!

I go back home late in the night, water my crops, make sure I've done everything...

And give Agro a good brushing at the stable, checking out his hooves and so on. Everything looks good to go -- we'll see how he does.

"I guess we'll see how I've grown as a rider and horse-owner, too."
    Agro snorts into my hair.

Fall-28-xxx1

Mr. Green came by and took Agros off to the races very early; even I was still half-asleep. I'm coming by later...

There's not much on the farm today, thank goodness; having to trapse around to tend all the animals on foot is a bit of bother.

But I got wool out of it, so there's a good paycheck in store.

I arrive at the races just fine, but...I kind of don't know which race I'm in. I guess I can lounge around, maybe gamble, ask about a bit...

For one thing, I see the girls from the last horse race, and the fireworks.

They're apparently talking about food. Or gambling. They wave when they see me.
    "Heeey, Mr. Farmer! Having a good time?"
    One of them follows up with a good giggle. I think if I respond...It'd probably be a fun time. One or a bunch of us -- I'm guessing the beret girl -- would have a pretty nice evening. And then we'd go our ways with a decent little experience behind us. Nothing more, nothing less.
    ...But you know?...That's not something I really want anymore. I'd probably end up thinking of somebody else, and that's no good. It'd just leave the girl I'm with unhappy. I'd probably end up hurting someone...
    Ugh, this has totally crimped my style. Heart wants what the heart wants.

"Yeah. Even some out-of-towners, huh?"
    She nods happily.
    "I don't like a crowd...But when everyone's having fun...It's not so bad. Besides...Y-you've been busy, so...I'm happy to see you."
    She beamed at me.
    "Well, why don't we have some fun! Let's gamble a little."
    She nods, and we go look over the books.

"I think it's better to go with a safe bet...Passho doesn't have a big reward, but you're sure to win."
    "I disagree. It's too small a reward. Taraba's a better safe-bet... But I'd rather see Umeshu win."
    "But there's not way he'd win!"
    "That's why I'd like to do it. Support the underdog!"
    I laugh, caught up in the infectious cheer of the day. Even Maria's into it.
    "I wonder how you make odds for things...I wonder if you can get a book on it."
    "You want a book on being a bookie?"
    "Not when you put it like that!...I just thought the math would be neat."

It occurs to me that I could bet 99 metals on everything. But that would kill my bank account.

"Why don't we make some bets together? My treat."
    "Alright, how about...Eh, let's do what you want, and pick Passio."
    "Alright."
    She seems like she's having a lot of fun.

"All participants should come to the gate."

Agros wasn't on the books, so I just need to get to where I can watch.

Darnit, Passio. Quit being a loser who wins. What sort of story do you think this is? Why should the clear favorite win?
    Well, Maria will be happy, right?

We're splitting the profits, too. Nice.

Anyway, in the back area... It's much busier than the Spring one, really.

Of course, maybe I say that because Cliff's the first person I see, and he wasn't there in the Spring.

"I see. You doing any betting?"
    "No, I won't be here long."

In other words, Ann asked him to. Then again, Cliff and Cliff get along pretty well, from what I saw.

Someone catches my eye, though...

She does; I nod. It's such an odd expression, particularly since she loves horses so much...
    "No, I'm OK, really! I'm always..."

Her face falls a bit.
    "...Haaa."
    "...You sure you're OK?"
    "Don't worry, don't worry! If I weren't fine, I'd just shout around until I felt better!"
    She laughs... I kind of get the impression she's flashing a big 'don't ask me anymore' sign, so...I go talk to someone else.
    I'll check up on her tommorow. Or maybe poke her brother about it.

"Yeah, it's pretty nice."
    And it's more crowded than before, so I have more people to run around talking to.
    ....I have strange social needs, I know.

"I'm going to need it."
    He doesn't say anything, not even a 'yeah, you are.' That's...Kind of surprising.

And then I remember that, once upon a time... Ann said something about her brother not being able to ride... I look back at Grey, who's looking down at the track with a stare that's intense...
    He's a subtle guy, but... I think he looks a little heart-broken.

I pat him on the shoulder and quietly make myself scarce-ish. Making myself scarce means talking to Rick right now.
    "Man, Gray seems...Pretty down. Even for him."
    Rick nods, his expression far-away and thoughtful.
    "I guess I can tell you, at least a little. You're his friend..."

"Cliffgard?"
    He nods.

"And he can't ride anymore..."
    "I think Ann said something like that, too...But she never mentioned the accident."
    "It was rough stuff; he was in the hospital for a long time... I think he still feels it in his leg sometimes."
    I had noticed he has a slightly weird walk...

"He used to laugh more."
    ...I can't even picture Gray laughing.
    What does that even sound like? In response to my incredulity, Rick can only say:
    "He grew silent after he couldn't ride Cliffgard anymore. But he's always been unsociable."
    "...Yeah, that makes it fit together a bit more..."

I feel bad for the guy. I've never really had a dream before...Something to make me really happy...
    So I can't imagine having that taken away. Still, there's a girl he likes, so...
    I guess he's got something that can still make him smile. Even if it shoots me in the foot, I want to wish him the best.

And finally, Harris is here.
    "Why are you here?" He does not seem like the racing type.

"I'm sure it's fine. Try to have fun."
    He nods.

I go forth and place my bets!

"The second race is about to start."

I am basically rooting for any horse but the pure brown one or maybe the grey-and-purple-y guy. One of them had a perfect 1:1 thing, and that's pretty lousy.

Shoot, I did not watch close enough!

Also did not remember horse names enough.

Times two...Better than nothing, I suppose.

You know, for an operation so clearly full of cheating, I'm surprised they even thought of this.
    Oh, wait! I guess this means my race is next. I should get ready...How do you even get ready to race?

Well, first...

I consider buying something, but then change my mind. Maybe next time.

I run down to the place where they're getting Agro ready.
    "We can do this...We can do this..." How do I do this?

That's...A little fourth-wall breaky for me, thanks.

The gunshot rings. Ok, Agro, let's go!

Ok, starting off strong...Or is it better to pace myself? How
    No, I shouldn't watch other people...

But if I do that, I worry I won't be able to keep up. Agro's definitely losing speed now...
    I can't blame him if I didn't raise him well; I mean, who expected me to raise a horse for racing?
    Still...
    Agro is born to race; I can't hold him back! Alright, let's just rely on his instinct!
    "You can do it, boy."

We began to pick up speed. Even with a little fatigue wearing him down, we've got enough strength to get ahead...
    Even by just a hair, we can do this!

I...I won!
    I won!
    We won!
    "Heck yeah, Agro or Agros I never remember which it is! You're a winner, boy!"
    He whinnies as if to say that is obvious.

I dismount in the back lot of the track...It's a very out of the way place. I give him a little scratch under the chin the way he likes.

"I am so down with that!"

"To be honest, I feel like I sort of whited out for a minute there. No clue what happened...But it was fun."
    Wait. That man with the dark hair...
    Is he...

WANDERING CAMERAMAAAAAAAAN!
    "You stalking jerk!"

Well, if it's for Agro...
    "...Cheeeese."
    But next time, camera man!

Not so fast!

Gosh-darnit.

Ann walks up to me, a triumphant grin all over her face... Until it slowly gets replaced by more and more hesitation.

She eventually can't even look me in the eye. Still...The happiness in her bashfulness borders on electric. Her step is bouncy, she fidgets with energy... I bet the face I can't see has a big smile on it.

"I'm not sure I did anything to be thanked for."
    "You worked hard...And you made our little colt a winner. That's a lot...For all of us, and..."

In that moment...I feel her warm admiration, the stuff she's trying to say but can't quite get past her own head to reach to. I want to tell her 'it's alright, I understand' even if maybe I don't...Something like that. Like animals, I guess I can tell how she feels right then instinctively...

I reach out and...

Realize I'm being a total moron.

15 TO 1?!! WHO THE HECK SET THOSE ODDS?!

"Please exchange your medals for gifts."
    Nah, I'm good, intercom-person.

And now it's time for...VICTORY LAP!

Darn right! (I still kind of wish I got that hug...)

...Spunky?
    K.

He also hit the bottle, clearly.

You would be rolling in medals, with the odds I had. I guess I was the longshot...

He laughs, just once, and hits me on the back like a friend. I can't add anything to that but to laugh, too.

"That's the end of events."

"Goodnight, mayor."

Well, I say that, but I still have some chores to do. Mainly it's just a matter of watering the crops and heading to bed...
    And giving Agro one last pat, with love.
    "Good boy, Agro. Good boy."

Also, man. I lost a lot of screenshots of talking to people at the races. *sigh*.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-02-23 at 04:41 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...