1. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What Am I Doing To Myself? Let's Try and Play Fire Emblem: Thracia 776!

Now, see, there's types of difficulty I like and types I don't, and that...Man. *shakes head*
    Thracia 776 allows you to talk about all sorts of different difficulties!

I'm going to cut this chapter up some, because it's another long one. Or so say my 10 pages of screenshots.

Chapter 3, Part 1: Have Fun Storming the Fortress!
    Spoiler
    Show

...I forgot to save in a seperate file last map, didn't I? Oh, well. I guess I lied.

Oh, right. We had an objective. Riiight. We were going to go there and rescue them. Right. I'm sure Leaf and I didn't forget in amidst our spurts of random heroism.

Are you sure, Mr. Narrator? The map says Kelbeth... Actually, you know what? Kelves is fine. I'm with you, fan translator. Kelbeth sounds kind of dumb.

We start, as usual, with the bad guys. And some green units locked in a room. Green units are "other" units. They're not enemies. They're usually either helpless people or armies working with you and doing a bad job of it.

Redric comes on up and is given the throne. Despite our detour, we're hot on his trail!

Ok, now my rambling about child-hunting. Why do they call it that? Someone, tell me the name sounded...I dunno, cooler, in Japanese. Because here it sounds kind of lame and evil and lamely evil, but not in a funny way like "I'm not gonna wash my hands because I'm evil." They might as well be talking about puppy-kicking.
    Like, the characters involved in a big way have what they feel to be a good enough justification, they're not just doing it because they enjoy hunting children, so...Who did their PR?

They're not even hunting children the way you picture when someone says "child hunting." It's more "Child Roundup" or "Child Rustling" or "Child Drafting" of some sort.
    All of which also sound kind of lame, really. So clearly, this is just a difficult concept to name.

"I've locked them in the dungeon for now, but what do you wish to do with them?"
    And that's our green units here.

"Good. Keep them here until the Lopto Church comes to pick them up. Be sure to be on your guard because the Magi Group might come to claim them as well."

So there's another group of rebels afoot? Great! We can meet up in Manster, rescue the girls, and absorb their handsome, awesome, and powerful leader into our group! It'll be a cakewalk!
    One thing I do kind of like about the Jugdral games is that, maybe because the bad guys actually won, we're not the only people trying to free everyone and save the day. There's Tahra's rebellion, there's the Magi Group, and in a year or so, Leaf's cousin Celice will elect to abandon his own life of hiding in some backwards corner of the world and decide to take up arms against the forces that destroyed his family. The bad guys won, but the world's not just sitting back and taking it anymore.

"I thought I had killed them off, but they seem to have recovered somehow."

"No, I think I will stay here for a little bit...I'm tired from the long journey."
    Great! So we can catch him here! Then we can go to Tahra straight...Oh, but then we won't meet up with this Magi Group. Hm. This Random Spurts of Heroism-based travel plan is getting rather complicated.

I'm sure the game will arrange something for us.

How impregnable is any fort in Fire Emblem, really? Well, I guess we can't just break the walls down like we could in the GBA games. That's already a dramatic improvement to security.

Anyway, Redric retreats to the area off the map...

And the map begins filling up with guys. We'll see them in a minute.

And now, our heroes! August is still here, of course.

Uh, because they hunt children and are a seat of present but probably not-carefully-monitored power for the empire of puppy-kicking? Geeze, Leaf.

The script sort of has to pretend last chapter, where the term got used and Leaf seemed to understand it just fine, never happened.
    Maybe he was saving his comments for the next section, too.

*snicker* Right. Do people call it Barbie for short? Or Babs? I forget what NOA ended up calling it, but let's call that a good enough translation.

Right. It's not a wholesale slaughter of kids, but rather an evil religion's form of education. Maybe with a little human sacrifice on the side, just skimming off the top.
    ...I feel terrible saying that.

Thanks for the exposition, man. We've got heroism to do!

"Yes... Then let me give one last bit of advice. You won't be able to enter the fort on horseback, so dismount your horses before going in. Also, the children can't move, so carry them back to their homes."
    Thanks also for the gameplay tips and warnings, August.

Whether August is a good guy or a bad guy is something we've still to work out. He's not exactly the most savory person, so his desire to "help" Leaf may just be a desire to use Leaf's name and history. But...We're sandwiched between a pair of agressive states that hate our guts. We might not be able to refuse help when next he's there to offer it...No matter what the price tag.

Until next we meet, August.

The player phase begins. Let's have a look around, shall we?

Forest and a few guys to the South-West. Also, us. We've got a new character that desperately needs protecting, but we'll get to her in a moment.

This map is rather narrow. We've got 4 villages, one for each captured kid. We'll be dealing with those later.

To the North-East, we have our first indoor area, complete with doors for Lifis to deal with and some treasure chests hidden by the terrain description. There's also a new building: a storage area. We can put items we don't need now into it, and I'm pretty sure you can access its inventory on the preperation screen later, right? Riiight? My sources are silent on the subject, but I hope so. We've got some stuff I'd like to save for later and all.

We also have a vendor in the North-West.

We've got a few things to note on the map, so let's look at them.

#1, there's this guy. He's a jerk. Wanna know why?

He's going to take stuff in the chests. One of them is a long-range tome. A long range tome he can use. We need to stop him.

Next we have the kids. Each one has a specific village we need to take them to in order to maximize reward. There's 3 boys and a girl.

One of them's even a familiar face to players of FE4! It's Corple! Corple's another one of the child characters, but he's also the adopted son of a bigshot general in Thracia.
    He's nothing special here, it's just a cameo, and a reminder of the bigger world. *shrug* I wish we could use him here. Staff wielders are awesome. Alas. Just you wait until last game, Corple. Just you wait.

Of course, we've also got people of our own to look at.

First up is our Priestess, Safy. She's got no defense to speak of, but if she's getting hit, you've already made a bad move. She's good in what she needs, anyway.
    The heal staff she comes with is your standard heal staff, but the repair staff...
    That's another story entirely.

It's a unique staff, locked to her. It repairs weapons. In other words, it's a 5-use Hammerene, and they give it to you just for doing the first sidequest.
    Stunning.

You guys need to remind me to use it. I spent all of Awakening with, like, 5 Hammerene staves I never used because *what if I need it later*? Anyway, 5 has all sorts of good weapons we could use it on one day. Staves are really useful in this game, so we're going to be seeing a lot of Safy and her fellow staff-users.

She's got nothing else to note.

We saw Lifis last map (I took the scroll off him then for giggles). We need to arm him. His low build makes stealing weapons not much of an option -- most of the time, if we want something from an enemy, we'll need to capture, unless we get lucky or the enemy involved has 20 build or something (which happens more than you'd like.)
    He's not really a combat unit, but he can fight if he has to, and given a weapon that lets him use his high speed, won't do too badly. He'll never be great at it, but his command of lockpicks makes him invaluable.
    Lifis has two movement stars, and a depressing PCC of 0. Like I said, not a combat unit. I guess if he didn't, it'd be possible to use him as sort of a myrmidon lite.

Next Time: Action! Scrolls! Inventory Management!
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-06-18 at 05:35 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...