1. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    OK, so about a month ago, the battery of my laptop started to swell to the point where the laptop wouldn't lie flat anymore (I'm told this is by design). I took it in for replacement. After verifying that the battery was on its last legs, and agreeing to replace it, they ran "one more test, to see if anything else is wrong". The test killed my laptop dead - wouldn't start, wouldn't acknowledge external inputs.
    Grey Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    ...wut?

That is a very... interesting design choice to have your battery swell when it goes bad.
    As a battery engineer ()...that's almost certainly because the chemical reaction that runs your battery is having problems.

To put it simply, unexpected reactions are happening instead of the usual charge-discharge, which causes gas to be generated as the materials in your battery degrade. If you have a rigid shell and your battery starts malfunctioning, then you basically have an extremely high pressure, very flammable bomb inside your laptop. The true design choice, rather than the swelling itself, is the soft shell around the battery which allows you to (a) visually notice the malfunction and replace the battery and (b) relieves the pressure on the battery until you do.

First time I've gotten to use my graduate degree to explain something on these boards! Sweet!
    Last edited by Demidos; 2019-04-18 at 09:58 AM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.