Quote Originally Posted by tiercel View Post
My general rule for most games, D&D included, is "specific trumps general." (Otherwise, what is specific FOR?)

Of course, that's a general rule itself... ;)

----

As for what Parrying *should* be, that's.. an interesting question. A counterpoint to "Parrying should be cheaper" is to compare it to a Stone of Good Luck -- which retails for 20K. It's not exactly the same, of course, but +1 AC (rare bonus type) vs +1 skills/ability checks (rare bonus type) presumably at least lives in the same postcode...

...of course, one could argue that the Stone is itself overpriced, not least of all because it's slotless.

I suppose the real question is "would a player in my game ever actually consider buying this at this price, given the budget to do so?" or even "am I OK with the PCs finding one of these in a Loot Stash and getting half of whatever I say MSRP is for this item?"
The big cost on the luckstone is the rare bonus type to -all- ability and skill checks. There are 31 skills in the PHB alone, not counting knowledge, perform, profession, speak language, or craft. Even at a mere 200 a piece and doubling for being slotless, that's an additional 12,400 gp worth of magic. When you add in the other skills and ability checks 20k isn't all that unreasonable even without the +1 to saves.