New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread II

I was thinking more light hearted and fluffy...
    Last edited by Bhu; 2009-08-19 at 07:39 AM.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

2. - Top - End - #542
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I was thinking more light hearted and fluffy...
    Watership Down?
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, seems the contest is almost over, so I wondered if someone could try to peach the shiny.

Thank you,
    Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    Well, seems the contest is almost over, so I wondered if someone could try to peach the shiny.

Thank you,
    Owrtho
    I had a few moments to peek and these were my intitial thoughts:

The base speed as listed wont work within the system. Try making it 0’ or 5’

Doohickey: The Shiny has no ranks in hide ad a +4 Size modifier to add to the base of 7, -4 from dex. This means it has a Hide result of 7. Just about anyone can see that.

Gleam (and following abilities): Save DC’s are generally 10 plus half Hit Dice plus appropriate ability modifier.

It’s so Shiny: Instead of doubling the DC you may wish to increase it by +1 for each time the opponent has ‘owned’ the Shiny in the past.
    Orcs and Goblins

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

The base speed as listed wont work within the system. Try making it 0’ or 5’
    Well, it's supposed to be very slow, but I wanted it to be noted that it is not completely immobile. I suppose I could just make it an extraordinary ability (not sure how 'extraordinary' it would be)
    Move (Ex): By using at least 60 move actions (split up among any number of turns with any number of other abilities used between), a shiny can move 5" (1 square).
    Not sure how much better that looks...

Doohickey: The Shiny has no ranks in hide ad a +4 Size modifier to add to the base of 7, -4 from dex. This means it has a Hide result of 7. Just about anyone can see that.
    Well, I never said it hid well (nor does it want to). Might make it 15 though.

Gleam (and following abilities): Save DC’s are generally 10 plus half Hit Dice plus appropriate ability modifier.
    I choose DCs that I figured would be appropriate. Also, I'll note that it gains Charisma every time it gains HD, thus meaning that if I factored HD into the save it would be like counting it again. As such I figured most of the saves would be better off just having a higher base and not counting it. Though I may look over them again.

It’s so Shiny: Instead of doubling the DC you may wish to increase it by +1 for each time the opponent has ‘owned’ the Shiny in the past.
    This sounds like a good idea, though I think it would be better to make it
    +2 and have it be by number of days they "owned" it (rounded down, with each time they gain possession of it counting as a minimum of one day, multiple times of gaining possession of it in one day count individually).

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2009-08-20 at 05:31 PM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I guess I don't "get" the shiny. It seems like it should be a construct rather than Fey as it doesn't have the standard fey traits.

If a creature has no Str score, it should be immoble and unable to move. This means that speed should be 0 feet (immobile) unless it is carried.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    I guess I don't "get" the shiny. It seems like it should be a construct rather than Fey as it doesn't have the standard fey traits.
    Construct Type:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A construct is an animated object or artificially constructed creature.

Features: A construct has the following features.

• 10-sided Hit Dice.
    • Base attack bonus equal to 3/4 total Hit Dice (as cleric).
    • No good saving throws.
    • Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the construct has an Intelligence score. However, most constructs are mindless and gain no skill points or feats.

Traits: A construct possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

• No Constitution score.
    • Low-light vision.
    • Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    • Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    • Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.
    • Cannot heal damage on their own, but often can be repaired by exposing them to a certain kind of effect (see the creature’s description for details) or through the use of the Craft Construct feat. A construct with the fast healing special quality still benefits from that quality.
    • Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain.
    • Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless).
    • Not at risk of death from massive damage. Immediately destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less.
    • Since it was never alive, a construct cannot be raised or resurrected.
    • Because its body is a mass of unliving matter, a construct is hard to destroy. It gains bonus hit points based on size, as shown on the following table.

{table=head]Construct Size|Bonus Hit Points
      Fine|—
      Diminutive|—
      Tiny|—
      Small|10
      Medium|20
      Large|30
      Huge|40
      Gargantuan|60
      Colossal|80[/table]
    • Proficient with its natural weapons only, unless generally humanoid in form, in which case proficient with any weapon mentioned in its entry.
    • Proficient with no armor.
    • Constructs do not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Fey Type:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A fey is a creature with supernatural abilities and connections to nature or to some other force or place. Fey are usually human-shaped.

Features: A fey has the following features.

• 6-sided Hit Dice.
    • Base attack bonus equal to 1/2 total Hit Dice (as wizard).
    • Good Reflex and Will saves.
    • Skill points equal to (6 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.

Traits: A fey possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

• Low-light vision.
    • Proficient with all simple weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
    • Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) that it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Fey not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Fey are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
    • Fey eat, sleep, and breathe.

Now then, the shiny has much more in common with fey than construct.
    • It is not artificially created but a living creature (even if it looks and pretends otherwise). It is tied to the natural aspect of creatures to be attracted to shiny things.
    • It has a d6 hit die (not a d10)
    • It lacks a BAB which fits neither
    • It has good Reflex and Will saves
    • It has 6 + int mod skill points
    • It has a Con score.
    • It has Low-light vision
    • It lacks dark vision
    • It has no immunities
    • It can be raised and resurrected
    • Its body is constructed of living matter
    • It can't attack or use weapons which fits neither
    • It is not proficient with armor
    • It does eat sleep and breath

As can be seen, it is much closer to fey than construct. Also I figured fey is more appropriate as I consider it something of a trickster due to how it acts (pretending to be an item so it can leach of your vital energy).

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    If a creature has no Str score, it should be immobile and unable to move. This means that speed should be 0 feet (immobile) unless it is carried.
    According to SRD, a creature that has no strength can't exert physical force. It is still able to move. It is if it lacks Dex that it can't move. The shiny does not lack Dex.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

8. - Top - End - #548
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

okay. I'm still not sure I'm getting it but I see where I erred: A creature with no Strength score can’t exert force, usually because it has no physical body or because it doesn’t move. The creature automatically fails Strength checks. If the creature can attack, it applies its Dexterity modifier to its base attack bonus instead of a Strength modifier.

As for which die you use, that's immaterial to the discussion. Type of die based on Creature Type not the other way around. Giving them 1/60 of a move speed is nearly immobile. There's so little difference between that and a speed of 0that it's only for argument's sake.

The skills you gave them seem to indicate that they can play musical instruments even though they "appear to be random small irresistibly shiny metal objects." I don't begin to understand that. They can sing and perform comedy but you didn't give them any languages and apparently they can't eat food because of their Feed ability.

I'm not saying that they can't be fey; I'm just saying that I don't get them.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I suppose I can put a speed of 0 and just note they are capable of movement but very slow. As for the perform skills, the shiny can't actually perform itself, but is capable of enhancing the performance of its host by an amount based on the relevant perform skill. As for eating, they do so by using their feed ability. Even if it isn't a normal manner it still is eating.

When I fist went to make them I debated between using the fey, construct, or magical beast type. I figured that the fey type fit best in the end though.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2009-08-20 at 10:33 PM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

10. - Top - End - #550
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Normally, if a creature can't use the Perform skill, then it simply shouldn't have it. However, even if the shineys can't use the perform skills themselves, they can provide a bonus to someone else's perform skill as expert assistance provided that they have at least 5 ranks in the skill.
    [See Rules Compendium page 10]. You should note this explicitly in the text.

Now, it is starting to coalesce into a creature that makes a bit more sense.

Debby

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, after I saw you mention it in your post I checked and saw I had forgotten to make note that they can't use the skills themselves and added it to the Host ability. As for the minimum 5 ranks, I had not realized that and had I, I would likely have added a few more points to intelligence to given them the points needed to reach that with most of them and/or noted that they could only do this with perform skills that have at least 5 ranks in (as they can improve them when they gain HD from they're Shininess ability. As it is though the contest seems to have already ended, and as the shiny functions well as it is, I would rather not modify the post. Thank you for that information though and I will keep it in mind for after the contest.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

12. - Top - End - #552
    Banned

Hey all, I'm thinking of expanding the base of those who enter by offering a Newbie category to the votes. That way we don't have new folks intimidated by the incredible level of skill and thought put into these in general.

How think you?

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

Might help bring newer people in. I'd say its worth a try at least. The question though would be how to decide who fits into the category. I take it this would show up for the next competition if you decide to do it?

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

14. - Top - End - #554
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    Might help bring newer people in. I'd say its worth a try at least. The question though would be how to decide who fits into the category. I take it this would show up for the next competition if you decide to do it?

Owrtho
    Next competition, and it'd be decided by them never having entered before. Next contest they enter they are no longer an official newbie.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Troll in the Playground

So it works like the best newcomer award for the iron avatarist contest then?
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

16. - Top - End - #556
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    So it works like the best newcomer award for the iron avatarist contest then?
    Yeah, basically.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

I like it.

Just dont make Templates the theme. I been waiting a looong time for that one...
    Orcs and Goblins

18. - Top - End - #558
    Banned

I like it.

Just dont make Templates the theme. I been waiting a looong time for that one...
    Eh?

bumbumbumbumbumBUMMMMMMMM

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

If the new contest is newbs only for a turn I'm hoping templates isnt the theme. Been waiting so long to do one of those.
    Orcs and Goblins

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

I think he meant that there will be a seperate award for the best entry by a user that hasn't taken part in a previous contest, not that it would only be open to new users.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Banned

Oh, no, it's not 'only' for newbies. What Bisected said.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Banned

Updated the list of entries. We're getting quite a collection.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Banned

Winner announced. New contest posted. Rawr.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

If we do a traditional Dragon does it have to have all the age categories, etc."
    Orcs and Goblins

25. - Top - End - #565
    Banned

If we do a traditional Dragon does it have to have all the age categories, etc."
    Yeeeeup

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

There is screen stretch on the main thread. I think it is the image code.

DragonCon starts friday, but if I can I am probably going to be completing the Neutral Neutral Funky Disco Dragons I created to be the polar opposites of the Beige Dragons.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Troll in the Playground

I was thinking of making a draconic insect, but I'm worried I'll only end up making a dragonfly pun...hang on...I think I can make it work...

28. - Top - End - #568
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heyas, saw this contest when The Vorpal Tribble was looking for a dragon pic.

I'm going a different way with my entry I think
    Last edited by Joxer t' Mighty; 2009-09-01 at 08:59 AM.
    Helping others is a good and noble cause, but sometimes the best way you can help them is by lending them a sword and telling them to go slay their own damned dragons.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Banned

Whoops, hey Bisected, I put the wrong link in the banner code. Fixed it now on the main page so you can get the right code.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2009-09-01 at 10:02 AM.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like this new contest. I ought to enter. I was just thinking up an epic-level, semi-divine dragon ruler...

Sir Shadow: I admit that at first glance I thought "Snap Dragon? Just sort of dragon/turtle combo? Booooring." Then I actually looked at it. Excellent. I like all the snarky comments, and Astute Assumptions is a great feature. It feel like it really fits, and adds some great flavor, but it has a nice & straightforward combat effect too! The only thing I'm a bit hesitant about is the ridiculous difference between Intelligence and Wisdom. I get that you want them to be very perceptive but not particularly intelligent or great critical analysts, but I think Int 10-14 and Wis 24-30 might be a bit better. Just a quick thought though; I can't wait to see this finished!