New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Pirates & the Strange

Johnathan

John noticed that stray shots had injured the ladies. He was torn. He glanced up at the deck and back to the women quickly. A fleeting memory stirred in his mind. A beautiful woman, smiling. A shadowy figure, and blood. He remembers being afraid, being unable to move. Angrily, he leaps down and checks the two women. He glances around and spies a random pirate running on to some unimportant task. "Hey!" He yells out, command in his voice. "Help me out with this, or so help me God you'll be eating your tongue!" He says. His shirt, damp with seaspray and filled with tears and holes is ripped in two as he tears it off in strips. is bare chest, now exposed to the sea, is lean with sailing muscles but scarred and bruised. He checks for exit wounds, but he knows he's out of his depth. "Get me some alchohol." He tells the pirate. "And find me a doctor."
    All glory to Vrythas in regards to my snazzy AD&D Game Master avatar.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reserve AD&D Game Master avatar by wxdruid

Oh star fall down on me
    Let me make a wish upon you
    Hold on, let me think
    Think of what I'm wishing for

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Um...I hadn't really thought it out this far. I thought you had a plan. Jen follows Desmond nervously.

Avatar and sig-banner by Mr_Saturn.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ha! A plan? We just boarded a ship full of bloodthirsty pirates! I was going to wing it."

4. - Top - End - #154

Ah. Of course. Then again, I'm not sure if taking on the whole crew directly would be the best option. Maybe we could...hmm. Why would pirates attack a prison ship? Maybe they wanted to free someone? Maybe whoever they're freeing could vouch for us, and we could get dropped off somewhere...on the other hand, they might just kill us. She shrugs. Yeah, winging it sounds good.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

Leigh had been following Johnathan up the stairs, trusting the man to guard her back as she watched his, climbing up the steps backwards and keeping her cutlass between their group and the people below. She was caught completely off guard when one of the rounds from the volley of gunfire hit her in the shoulder. She gave an involuntary cry of pain as her mind registered that she had been hit and stumbled forward, dropping her weapon in order to catch the railing and prevent herself from falling down the stairs.

Not wishing to risk her neck by going downstairs to chase after the cutlass, Leigh placed her newly free right hand on her shoulder and tried to assess the damage. No hole on the front of the shoulder, which meant the bullet might still be in there. Gritting her teeth against the pain, she used her right hand to apply pressure to the back of her shoulder in an attempt to stop the bleeding. She heard Johnathan call for a doctor and gave a small, pained chuckle. "The alchohol, is that supposed to be the painkiller or the disinfectant?"

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

It don't matter no more now, we're here, and to them, that means we invaded their ship.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Deck
    "A doctor? Out here in the middle of the ocean? Are you mad?" the pirate said to Jonathan.
    At least the guards weren't firing at them anymore. They were too busy getting slaughtered by the pirates up close. Jonathan could see the captain jump off the ship, into the water below. The pirate tossed Jonathan a flask of rum and then ran upstairs to join the fight.

Pirate Ship, Belowdecks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The shadows closed again around Jen and Desmond. They couldn't see the others anymore, nor they them. They were only vaguely aware of the only source of light, the opening in the ceiling up ahead with bars in it. It shed a small amount of sunrays on the creatures surrounding them. There were five of them that they could see, but the shadows might conceal many more. They all looked remotely human, but their faces were a diabolic mockery, twisted and warped. The most noticable feature were the fangs, two large teeth from their upper jaw hanging out of their mouths, jutting down all the way past their chins, like small straight tusks almost. Other than that the men walked slightly hunched, as if ready to jump Jen and Desmond at any time. The creatures weren't armed, but the splatters of guts and blood on their raggedy clothes showed that they'd killed before.
    "Mine" one of them hissed, "Ours".

Patrick, Silme and Masik couldn't see their two friends anymore, only hear faint distant whispers in the dark. Reality seemed warped here somehow, down in the hull, less real, and the only solace was the hole in the hull by their backs. They were surprised to see the captain of the prison galley swimming out there all of the sudden, among the corpses.
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Assuming the captain has one of the best weapons, Silme turns around, jumps from the breach. Impaling the captain from above with his sword. He then checks the captain for weapons, tries to take them and climbs aboard again.
    Jen, where are you? I don't like this darkness...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Ceikatar!

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Carker warily watched the three that he could see at once and felt others behind him from rising hairs on his back. His stratagem of maiming anyone in his way seemed to him a poor solution to this new obstacle. e might meet with more success with some Diplomacy as the none prisoners were eager to be the first to attack. His throat felt horse from dehydration and the words alien, he hadn't made attempts to speak with anyone since his arrest, content to brood quietly to himself.

I.. am not enemy. We not fight each other. Less of us, less pirate listen to us. Less of them, more room on ship.

Carker didn't exactly have a poor grasp of the language, he's lived in the Caribbean most of his life and understands and can speak several different tongues. Many people Carker met tended to misinterpret a weak grasp of a language as stupidity, When someone thought you were stupid they were less wary and more trusting.

10. - Top - End - #160

Johnathan

"Of course." Johnathan says, muttering under his breath about the reliability of slave runners to nab a good doctor when he needs one. He takes a breath and looks at the one woman's shoulder. "Alright, I do know, from personal experience, that you can't leave a bullet in. So..." He glances at the pirate ship and debates whether or not to carry her over there. "Here." He says to her, handing her the rum. "Take a sip. It'll help." He searches the deck for anyone, dead or alive, who has a knife on them. "Don't worry. I've lost too many women to the hands of fate. I'm not going to let that happen again." While he searches, he checks on the other woman, and realies he had better find out their names if he's going to help them.

Spoiler
    Show

Oh star fall down on me
    Hold on, let me think

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Desmond moves back to back with Jen to make sure that nothing comes from behind him (or her, for that matter) and draws his cutlass. "You want me? Fine, come get me! I ask only that you do not soil my nice shoes with your blood."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

Leigh downed a swig of the rum, her need to dull the pain winning out over the need to keep her reflexes perfectly sharp. Realizing that Johnathan was suggesting they find a way to remove the bullet now, she shook her head and stood up straighter in an attempt to convince him that she was going to be alright. "Keeping the bullet in for a few more minutes isn't going to cause much damage compared to what its already done, we'll deal with it later. Right now, let's focus on ensuring there'll be a later"

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

"Jen, I want you to run back the way we came. I'll hold them off. Maybe they won't follow you when they're done eating me."

14. - Top - End - #164

Jen's eyes widened in terror, before narrowing in rage. A small psychological shift can make all the difference in the world, and hers was the simple thought that these were not men, but monsters. Not only monsters, but ones that wanted to kill her. Their choice. She grinned, and held up her knife. Not a chance. One for all, all for one, and all that.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Hearing the voices, and not one to pas up a fight.
    Silme draws the sword/melee weapon he got from the captain, so now with two swords in hand he also go's into the darkness.
    Hey, don't leave me out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ceikatar!

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Samantha

Samantha was fending off one of the loyal prisoners when her leg screamed in pain and her vision blurred for a moment. She stumbled back, clutching at the wall and hissing between her teeth. She looked up to see her opponent swinging his cutlass at her - she barely knocked it aside, stopping her head from being split open.

She lunged forward, ignoring the screaming pain in her leg. One, two - the prisoner fell, chest cut open. Sam fell back against the wall, nearly losing her balance and falling completely.

A glance at her leg showed the injury to be gory, but a closer look showed that the bullet had glanced off the broken kneecap instead of lodging in the injury. Perhaps not the best thing, but certainly a silver lining.

She turned to the man. "Get me something to lean on and I'll be fine."
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Deck:
    Luckily for Carker he'd caused the prisoners to doubt long enough for the battle to end. All the guards appeared to be dead, and about fifteen pirates were left on board, some of them armed with the guards' rifles now. On the pirate ship Scarlet Will had climbed into the riggings.
    "Listen to me!" he shouted, and most of the prisoners that were left alive turned around to listen, "I have lost part of my crew here in this battle, and I need fifteen capable men to join me! Line up, you scurvy bastards, and I might just not have you killed!"

As most of the prisoners got in a long line, Jonathan found himself a carving knife in the hands of a dead pirate and Samantha picked up a board that had been part of the decoration of the ship to use as a crutch. They and Leigh wondered whether to join the line of prisoners.
    "Samantha, my girl, you don't have to join the rest of those boobs, you have a very special place on my crew already!" Scarlett Will yelled.

Pirate Ship, Belowdecks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Thank god, help me out of the water will you, prisoner? I thought those men were going to kill me for sure, but we might still have a chance if we- wait, what are you-? Aaaaargh!"
    Silme's blade sank deep into the captain's neck. He jumps into the water and robs the dead man of what little weapons he had: a cutlass and a soaked handgun. Since he already has two cutlasses, he has no real use for the cutlass, but he pockets the handgun. Silme then crawls back on board and runs into the darkness to find his friends. Before he even sees them though, something jumps him from behind, landing on his back.
    "Mine" a voice hisses.

Desmond and Jen moved back to back. All at once the five creatures decided to jump at them, hands thrust forward.

Patrick and Masik were left alone at the breach in the hull.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sweet fancy Mary!" Desmond swings his cutlass haphazardly with no real finesse. One of the monsters recieves a nasty gash on it's shoulder and another loses a finger.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Urgh, Silme moans, surprised.
    He tries to stab at the head of the creature with the cutlass in his right hand, assuming the head to be behind his own head.
    With the cutlass in his left hand he tries to stab were the neck would be on a normal human.
    Damnit, what are these things?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ceikatar!

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

Carker

Carker aimed a kick at the face of the dying pirate he took down earlier before following the other prisoners. Obviously at this point trying to fight the pirates would be suicide, best to obey for the time being. Certainly better then being left on this tub, that is if the pirates don't kill the unwanted ones. Carker looked down at the front of his coat and noticed how much blood had soaked into his cloths. Couldn't really be helped he supposed, those prisoners he cut into were more often then not pressed up against him. He felt his face and his hand came away sticky, he should make a show of neatening himself up for this captain, it wouldn't do to have himself seen as a savage. He held up his cutlass to use as a mirror but was disappointed to find that it was caked in blood. Rather then soiling his coat even more, he quickly drew his tongue along one side to clear the blade up a bit. Trying again he was annoyed when he still failed to catch his reflection in the old sword. He stuffed the sword through his belt stopped to stand with the others.

21. - Top - End - #171

Johnathan

John decided to hang onto the bandages and knife. The second woman didn't look as bad; Hopefully, she'd be fine walking. The first was a little worse off. He heard the leer in the pirate Captain's voice, and saw that he was speaking to one of the injured women. He honeslty hoped the captain didn't get any ideas; Johnathan would hate to be killed mercilessly by a large crew of pirates after stabbing the man's face off. For now, he decided to play along. He offered help, when needed, to both of the women.

Spoiler
    Show

Oh star fall down on me
    Hold on, let me think

22. - Top - End - #172

Jen swings her knife wildly in a wide arc, hoping to hit one of the creatures where a normal human's neck would be, then flips it around in her hand and turns to stabbing randomly (but fiercely) at them.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

Leigh made her way over to the lineup like most of the other prisoners and did her best to stand tall without leaning on the railings or Johnathan for support. She wouldn't last if she had to stand against one of these pirates, let alone all of them, so her best bet was to convince this Scarlet Will that she would be a capable crewmember when she wasn't suffering from blood loss. She could only hope that, judging by the captain's reaction to Samantha, she could use what womanly charm she had to get herself on board.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

One of the monsters grabs Desmond by the legs and pulls him to the ground. He screams and begins stabbing randomly at it.

25. - Top - End - #175

Patrick would quickly volunteer to help Johnathon if he was anywhere near the fellow. Unfortunately, he isn't, so instead he'll quietly move on after the others, whimpering slightly as he goes.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Deck:
    All the prisoners had lined up now, and the pirates had taken strategic positions about the ship, should they try anything. Even the three bearded men who'd been singing and rowing throughout the fight had been put in the line up. Scarlet Will had returned to the prison galley and was now striding by the line up. He stopped as he reached the last man, turned, and stared him in the face.
    "Are you willing to join my crew?"
    "Y-yes" the man mumbled.
    "What was that? I didn't hear you! Did you hear him, boys?"
    "Yes!" the man said.
    "Ah. Good. But I see your leg's injured. What have you got to offer my crew?"
    "I'm...eh... I'm a-"
    The man stopped talking. A little trickle of blood ran out of the corner of his mouth. Scarlet Will had stabbed clean through him with his sabre. He moved on to the next man and asked the same question, and would do so for every man on board.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to play out your reactions. Try to convince Will to keep you alive. Any attempts at killing him will fail, unless you've got something awfully spectacular cooked up I hadn't even thought of. The most likely reaction to any attempts to kill him will be a shot or a stab in the gut, likely followed by some more shots from his men. I'll act out Will's reaction to each of your posts in my own next post.

Pirate Ship, Belowdecks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Silme's cutlass struck true, causing a spurt of the creature's blackish blood to pour over him, but only as the thing sank it's teeth into Silme's neck. It twitched, and then stopped moving. Dead as it may have been, it's large teeth did not move and remained in the large black man's throat.

Desmond and Jen fought off the attack as best they could, and while making quick work of some of them, they could not prevent them all from getting through. Desmond is dragged to the ground and loses his sabre to the creature pulling him, even as he stabs at it. He was pulled away, into the darkness. Soon he could see nothing, and hear nothing but his own breathing. The creature, and everything else, seemed to be gone. Only briefly though. There was the slightest sound from the ceiling, and as he looked up he saw the creature fall, fangs open and looking to draw blood.

Jen meanwhile has her arm twisted. The knife fell after being employed to merely wound them. The cutlery turned out to be too blunt to do much damage in real combat. Her second arm was snapped back as well with amazing strength, and this was all one creature's doing. The others had all either disappeared or died. Suddenly Patrick appeared from the dark, his mouth agape at the sight of the creature holding Jen.

((OOC: Pretty much everyone is in peril now. I'd like everyone to post by tomorrow, especially the people who haven't posted since my own last post, which was quite a while ago, I realise. People in the second category who fail to post will most likely be taken out of the game entirely. I'll send all of them a PM to make sure they know. Next post is tomorrow evening, think 7 PM London time))

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

****. damn bastard! Silme cries out as his neck is bitten.
    He pulls out the teeth of the creature and the creature falls down on the deck, he got more thigns to worry about then what that was. He then lets it open, so if anything got into his blood. It can bleed out.
    He then go's to Jen, his weapons still ready, seeing her held by another of those things, he stands still. Not wanting to hurt Jen.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ceikatar!

28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

Leigh had been one of the last people to get in line, and as a consequence, she was one of the first to be "interviewed". After seeing the first man get stabbed, she realized she couldn't show any hesitation. When Scarlet Will reached her, she waited for him to ask his question and looked him straight in the eye, trying to ignore the pain in her shoulder for the time being. "I'll join you. I've been a bos'n for ten years now. I do a damn good job of it, and I'll do it for half of what you're paying your current one."

29. - Top - End - #179
    Halfling in the Playground

Still crouched next to the hole in the hull, Masik could hear voices coming from above. It didn't seem like they were fighting, not much at least, but it clearly wasn't peaceful voices.

He wished he would have had the time to summon the spirits of the dead guards whose hair he'd taken but whatever was going on up there, it would most likely spread downstairs before Masik could finish the rituals.

Cautiously and, most important, silently he made his way towards the upper deck. It had been years since he last hunted but his body remembered what do to do. Stay quiet. Stay hidden. See them before they see you.

Suddenly he sensed something. He didn't know what at first but then he felt a familiar tickling sensation under his skin. Spirits, or some other representatives of the supernatural, were about.

30. - Top - End - #180

Aaargh! Jen screamed out as her arms were snapped back and Desmond was dragged away. Thisisbadthisisbadthisisveryverybad... Her eyes lit up at the sight of Patrick, and she grinned slightly. An idea began to form. All right, you got me, you damned beast, but the fun's over. You see this guy? He's my bodyguard. He's trained in every form of fighting there is, and in this room alone he could kill you 5,000 different ways with 2,000 different things, including your own body. So you'd better let me go, lest he turn his wrath upon you. Although she had never been a religious sort, she was definitely praying to any deities who would listen that the beast was smart enough to understand her bluff and dumb enough to not see through it.

((Sorry for switching tense...again...but I used to be used to present and now I'm more used to past, so...>.>))